Home
Posted By: BigPine Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
There are many , but Terry Kath of Chicago, Chicago Transit Authority, was one hell of a guitarist . They made a lot o syrupy songs, but they could rock and he was kick ass . If I knew how to post one, I’d put up a clip of “ I’m a Man “ great stuff and super tight group
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
Lindsey Buckingham.

MM
Posted By: Timbermaster Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
Mr. Jerome J. Garcia
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
Guitar nerd Antoine Dufour.

Posted By: 16bore Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
Prince
Posted By: River_Ridge Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
Mark Knopfler
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
Mick Mars and Slash.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
Tim Reynolds too....

That nerd guy is cool
Actually, pretty much all of those guitar nerds who very occasionally make a recording for Candyrat are underrated,.....because they never much go outside.

Since they were kids they've just sat crosslegged on their beds and picked guitars.

One of them,.Don Ross,.. eventually started going outside and playing his guitar for people to hear.

Posted By: night_owl Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
Prince, Jerry Garcia.
Posted By: hunter4623 Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
Steve Winwood

https://youtu.be/ugTaPTv0eQY
Posted By: pinotguy Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
Larry Carlton

Listen to "Kid Charlemagne" should you require further proof.

Tommy Bolin

Gary Moore

Tom Scholz
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
Alvin Lee.
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
Mark Knopfler

Beat me to it. It’s ironic that this thread came up when it did. I’m leaving in the morning after 10 days in Madeira Beach Fla. tonight we were in a local bamboo hut type bar and they had some older guy (my age) playing a bunch of old school rock and he went into a dire straight song. He nailed it. Anyway I’ve always loved their music, cheers.
Also Albert Lee. Aka “Mr Telecaster”
Don Ross writes all of his music. Several of the Candyrat recording artists play their own variant of his songs.

This is my favorite by Don Ross,...Tight Trite Night. I like the self satisfied little smile he allows himself at the conclusion of the song.

I see a bunch of guys on this that aren’t underrated at all. They’re considered amongst the best ever.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
Bristoe;
Good evening to you sir, I trust the day treated you acceptably and this finds you well.

While I'm not sure it's my personal style or not - this chap at Candyrat is playing a guitar built up the valley by my nephew Jed.

I want to say the chap playing is a lawyer from the south somewhere, but I might be incorrect there.

All the best to you as we head into warmer weather Bristoe.

Dwayne
James Burton Guitarist for Elvis & Ricky Nelson

And Vince Gill
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
Mark Knopfler

Yep. Saw him perform with Chet Adkins.
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
Robert Fripp
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Bristoe;
Good evening to you sir, I trust the day treated you acceptably and this finds you well.

While I'm not sure it's my personal style or not - this chap at Candyrat is playing a guitar built up the valley by my nephew Jed.

I want to say the chap playing is a lawyer from the south somewhere, but I might be incorrect there.

All the best to you as we head into warmer weather Bristoe.

Dwayne

That's very interesting, BC30cal. Your nephew must be a very accomplished guitar builder if one of the Candyrat guitarists select his products to play.
Posted By: kecatt Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19

Posted By: EdM Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Lindsey Buckingham.

MM

Spot on.
Posted By: Dogshooter Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
Todd Park Mohr.... of Big Head Todd and the Monsters...

Junior Brown.... love the Honkey Tonk Blues riffs.
Posted By: DryPowder Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
Chris Stapleton

Originally Posted by Dogshooter

I like Junior Brown as well. Great guitarist
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

I like Junior Brown as well. Great guitarist

I’ve seen Junior Brown perform a couple of times at the old Continental Club in Austin. He’s awesome.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
Lita Ford
Posted By: oldtrapper Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
Tommy Emmanuel, Frank Vignola, Vinny Raniolo, pretty dandy.

Or, as always Joe Pass.

Posted By: b_winter Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
I'm sure there's a lot of them. I'd have to cast a vote for Danny Groah - Alan Jackson's touring guitarist. Guy has monster chops - anyone who can play the stuff Brent Mason (Nashville studio guitarist - does the album work for Alan Jackson, among others) comes up with is top notch, in my books.
Dick Dale

https://youtu.be/56SAxtf-RTg
Or,

Posted By: Certifiable Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
Tom Morello
Posted By: mbhunt Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Lindsey Buckingham.

MM

+1
Posted By: highpockets1 Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
David Gilmore
Eric Johnson
Posted By: GuideGun Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
John Frusciante
Anyone mention Al DiMeola yet?
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
Bristoe;
Thanks kindly for the reply sir, yes the nephew's guitars were very highly thought by a few folks who knew good instruments.

He isn't currently making them anymore, might go back to it someday I suppose, but is currently gone back to farming and picking wild mushrooms to take up his time.

The knack he seemed to have was picking the right wood to get fantastic tone in the guitars he built.

Anyway back to the topic at hand, if anyone hasn't heard Doyle Dykes play yet, a few of his videos on youtube would be time well spent - in my view anyways.

Thanks again Bristoe and all the best to you folks this weekend.

Dwayne
Posted By: rifletom Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
Agree with Mark Knopfler. Outstanding player.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19

Without a doubt it is Ken Hensley of Uriah Heep, this video will prove it..

Posted By: P_Weed Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
Gary Moore (RIP)
More Joe, --- he's funny too.

Posted By: SCGunNut Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
Highly rated by those that know him. Just not enough of those that know him. Shred is not dead!

Posted By: HawkI Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
Steve Winwood isn't thought of today (or 30 years ago) as someone who could shred a blues riff, so I would say he's underrated...

Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
Don Felder
Posted By: hanco Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
Joe Bonamassa
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
Pat Metheney.

Bill Connors.

Robben Ford.

Leo Kottke.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Bristoe;
Thanks kindly for the reply sir, yes the nephew's guitars were very highly thought by a few folks who knew good instruments.

He isn't currently making them anymore, might go back to it someday I suppose, but is currently gone back to farming and picking wild mushrooms to take up his time.

The knack he seemed to have was picking the right wood to get fantastic tone in the guitars he built.

Anyway back to the topic at hand, if anyone hasn't heard Doyle Dykes play yet, a few of his videos on youtube would be time well spent - in my view anyways.

Thanks again Bristoe and all the best to you folks this weekend.

Dwayne

Dwayne. I usually like threads like this.. made it this far down thinking, meh... not really anything for me... hmmm sound like Sam... eh?
Thanks for this post. I enjoyed and maybe when I have more time I can google more of Doyle.

hope all are well down south!

Jeff
Posted By: smarquez Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
Originally Posted by BigPine
There are many , but Terry Kath of Chicago, Chicago Transit Authority, was one hell of a guitarist . They made a lot o syrupy songs, but they could rock and he was kick ass . If I knew how to post one, I’d put up a clip of “ I’m a Man “ great stuff and super tight group

The first 7 Chicago albums were loaded with amazing guitar music from Terry Kath. He was an amazing songwriter and performer. He didn't have the formal music training that the horns and keyboard guys but he wrote "introduction", the first song on their first album. He had the other guys write the music so they could record it. It was also a one take recording for the album. Chicago as a band was highly underrated but they lost me after Terry Kath died. The music lost it's soul.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
Highly rated by those that know him. Just not enough of those that know him. Shred is not dead!

Thats some true talent. But oh my ears... I don't know if they will be the same after that racket ever again. LOL
Steve Stevens
Posted By: ENorton Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
Johnny Winter
Rory gallegher
Posted By: StGeorger Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
Peter Green

Roy Buchanan

Freddie King

Jose Feliciano
Posted By: TomT Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
Of course SRV was one of my favorite guitarists, but like Jimi, would never fall into the “underrated” category.

I saw someone mention Frucianti (one of my favs), so I’ll throw out the late, great, Jeff Healy. His style was unorthodox, but man, could he tear [bleep] up!

https://youtu.be/WqESGc1AnqU
Posted By: auk1124 Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
Ron Asheton of the Stooges
Robert Smith of The Cure
Daniel Ash of Bauhaus and Love and Rockets
Kingfish aka Christine Ingram. 20ish kid from Mississippi. He started playing guitar around 11. Check out some of his YouTube videos. Keep in mind the date of the videos. In many of them, he had only been playing for 5 or 6 years. He’ll end up as one of the greatest of all time...if he gets his weight under control and doesn’t croak as a young man.
Posted By: BigPine Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
Originally Posted by smarquez

The first 7 Chicago albums were loaded with amazing guitar music from Terry Kath. He was an amazing songwriter and performer. He didn't have the formal music training that the horns and keyboard guys but he wrote "introduction", the first song on their first album. He had the other guys write the music so they could record it. It was also a one take recording for the album. Chicago as a band was highly underrated but they lost me after Terry Kath died. The music lost it's soul.

Exactly. Never the same after that .
I wish I had taken up playing when I was young, but I have a real appreciation of all kinds of picking. My dad usually played us a few tunes on his 6 string at bed time, I can still hear him play froggy went a courtin’ Or wildwood flower , my older brothers both played and my oldest son plays well. Singed him up for lessons at 13 as soon as he expressed an interest. I found out what girls were for at an early age and that took up too much time to learn it . My brothers were 6 and 7 years older than me and they usually stacked the old console record player with Zepplen albums and that’s how I went to sleep from 10 years old on.
Buckethead
Posted By: WoodrowFCall Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
I'm not sure what to post. I thought this thread was underrated guitar players.
An overrated list would be quite abit easier.
Posted By: K22 Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
Billy Strings
Bran Sutton
Steve Kaufman
Danny Knisly
Richard Betts
Keith Urban is a fine guitar player.
Posted By: smarquez Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
Originally Posted by smarquez

Exactly. Never the same after that .
I wish I had taken up playing when I was young, but I have a real appreciation of all kinds of picking. My dad usually played us a few tunes on his 6 string at bed time, I can still hear him play froggy went a courtin’ Or wildwood flower , my older brothers both played and my oldest son plays well. Singed him up for lessons at 13 as soon as he expressed an interest. I found out what girls were for at an early age and that took up too much time to learn it . My brothers were 6 and 7 years older than me and they usually stacked the old console record player with Zepplen albums and that’s how I went to sleep from 10 years old on.

My FIL loved to pick and sing. He was all ear taught but could mimic Chet Akins. He loved tp play and sing old tunes like "Poor Boy" and "Poor Little Robin" and "Family Man" It was really sad when the Parkinsons started taking his playing away. If your son stayed with the guitar he would have pulled the girls he wouldn't have had to work very hard with the girls.
Posted By: Aviator Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
Larry Crane and Mike Wanchic from the Mellencamp band of the 80s.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
the most under-rated guitarist to me is ZZ Top`s Billy Gibb`s ,he should be rated much higher ,he even played with Hendrix. the greatest 3 person band there ever has or is been !
Posted By: Snyper Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
Orianthi Panagaris:

Posted By: LeonHitchcox Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
Rory Gallagher
Posted By: huntinaz Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Tom Morello

Agreed, that’s always my pick too
Posted By: Otter Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
Terry Kath was the first name came to my mind. There are so many good/great pickers out there, past and present, it's really tough to even think about a "best". "Underrated" is an appropriate moniker for most.
Cody Canada
Posted By: BeanMan Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
Steve Morse
Posted By: fburgtx Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
Toy Caldwell
Phil Baugh
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
A lot of the folks mentioned would be anything but underrated by this guitar music fan.

Now, Donald Kinsey might fit that description. If you'd not like to listen to the whole song, his licks really start about the 2:08 mark, and again at 4:44 or so.

With Bob and the Wailers, his solo starts about 2:30 in:

He and Brothers had a band for a bit too:

Geno
What surprises me are all the young high school age kids that can play as good or better than the average leads on groups that had hits when I was a kid. The internet and you tube took a lot of the learning curve out. My son used to sit for hours and play along with a video series that Warren Haynes put out. Haynes is no slouch either
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
Don Felder

Yep. Along with Joe Walsh whom together played one of the best dueling guitar rifts ever on “Hotel California”
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Guitar nerd Antoine Dufour.

I like this one..

Originally Posted by pete53
the most under-rated guitarist to me is ZZ Top`s Billy Gibb`s ,he should be rated much higher ,he even played with Hendrix. the greatest 3 person band there ever has or is been !

Yep. That “little ole band from Texas”

Not many three piece bands around that can put out that kind of sound.

They make The Rolling Stones look like rank fuggin amateurs IMO.
Not to forget all the bluegrass pickers out there . There are/were some amazing players
Posted By: Glynn Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
Golden Earrings lead, George Kooymans.

Not to forget all the bluegrass pickers out there . There are/were some amazing players

such as up and coming ..........................

Prince. .... Didn't like his music or his look and was surprised once when I saw him play a guitar solo. He was a pretty good guitar player. Hard to beat Knopfler for pure guitar playing.
Posted By: poboy Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
Warren Haynes is my choice. Thanks BigPine for reminding me.
"I'm pretty good man, but this Cat blows me away." - Jimi Hendrix

Played as good or better than Hendrix and a voice like the white Ray Charles. Damn shame.

Terry, you gotta clear the chamber after dropping the mag brother. RIP
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot

Played as good or better than Hendrix and a voice like the white Ray Charles. Damn shame.

I read once it was a brand new Colt 1911 he had just acquired
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Yep. Along with Joe Walsh whom together played one of the best dueling guitar rifts ever on “Hotel California”

Joe Walsh has never, ever been underrated.......................at anything.

MM
Posted By: Deans Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
Posted By: Snyper Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
What surprises me are all the young high school age kids that can play as good or better than the average leads on groups that had hits when I was a kid. The internet and you tube took a lot of the learning curve out. My son used to sit for hours and play along with a video series that Warren Haynes put out. Haynes is no slouch either

I don't think that it's easier to learn so much as you simply get to see them now whereas before they were only heard of locally.
I've stumbled on a couple o' well-known fellas, whom I had never fully appreciated.

I had no idea José Feliciano could do this:

And I also realized that I'd paid more attention to Jerry Reed's storytelling, than his guitar picking:

I suppose I've also been far too late in appreciating Roy Clark:

Apparently, they sometimes even played together:

FC
Jerry Reed was one heck of a good guitar picker!
Posted By: Bry Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/23/19
Originally Posted by superlight17b
Steve Stevens

X2
Posted By: BigPine Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/24/19

This /\

Been a fun thread with a lot that has slipped my mind. Thanks for all the contributions . Now that my kids are all out of the nest I can sit and rock out with my half decent tune system in the man cave. I can do it for hours.
Posted By: LeeC Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/24/19
A lot of these players are already well known..
This guy is on the come up, and is for real
Gary Clark Jr.
This is a cool video, but look him up on youtube if you really want to see how skilled he is..
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/24/19
Kim Simmonds, Savoy Brown and Fog Hat.
Rory Gallagher.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/24/19
I haven't read the entire thread, but Jerry Reed could play.
Posted By: Mac84 Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/24/19
I’m a fan of Jess Greenberg

Posted By: hatari Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/24/19
I didn't see anyone mention Mike Campbell, formerly with Tom Petty, now Fleetwood Mac. Super talented.

Since this is a thread on "underrated", Eric Johnson doesn't count.
how about Dickey Betts from the Alman Brothers Band. Heard them live several times and he played the happiest sounding guitar ever. Especially on Blue Skys.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/24/19
Orianthi not only looks better than any of the fellows mentioned, she can outplay most of them. Danny Gatton played in a whole different universe. He was as good as you will ever hear.
Posted By: tdbob Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/24/19
Charo, the cuchi cuchi girl
Jim Stafford
Tommy Tedesco of the Wrecking Crew
Posted By: Anjin Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/24/19
I am sure most of you have heard the story about the fellow who asked Eric Clapton how it felt to be the best guitarist in the world, and how Clapton sourly replied "Why don't you ask Prince?"

I have only seen Prince on video with that crowd including Harrison's son performing George's "How My Guitar Gently Weeps," but he pretty much crushed everyone else there.

I've seen Clapton live a couple of times in Japan, and he is no slouch, but the best work I've seen live has been Brad Paisley in Albuquerque a couple of years ago.

Underrated? No, but highly deserving of mention. Simply awesome.

Norm
Posted By: socko1 Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/24/19
Clarence White
Posted By: dodge268 Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/24/19
Brian Setzer
I posted a new one above.
Out of all the old guitar players
Lindsey Buckingham, Roy Clark, even Glen Campbell are known as great players, but I still think they are underrated.
They are not mentioned in the same breath as a Clapton, or Hendricks, Paige etc., but I would bet money they could hang with the very very best.
I wont go to Wikipedia, but I think Glen Campbell has been on more Top 10 records than any other musician in history, as a session player, and his own career.
Not simply good, but GREAT players
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/24/19
I never thought George Lynch of Dokken got the recognition he deserved.
Posted By: StGeorger Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/24/19
If you want to see great guitar playing get Claptons Crossroads DVDs. There's four of them, the first being in the early 2000s, then 2007, 2010, and 2013. I like 2013 the best, but they as all superb.
Posted By: Higginez Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/24/19
Originally Posted by Valsdad

With Bob and the Wailers, his solo starts about 2:30 in:

Geno

That's not a guitar solo Geno.

Posted By: BamBam Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/24/19
Edgar winter
Johnny Winter
Rick Derringer
Posted By: justsaymoe Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/24/19
Tom Scholz
Rich WIlliams
Kerry Livgren
Posted By: husqvarna Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/24/19
1) David Bromberg

2) Greg Sherman with Tuba Skinny in New Orleans - Great traditional jazz
This is nerd guitar heavy metal. Demo from the guitarist , kid at work showed me this stuff once. Insane.
How these people do this blows my mind.
According to Clapton..........The greatest guitarist ever was Prince. Due to the lack of his mention on this tread he was definitely underrated. YouTube his ass.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/25/19
Chis Degarmo and Michael Wilton played very well together and both were underrated. Queensryche!

Bb
Originally Posted by louiethedrifter
According to Clapton..........The greatest guitarist ever was Prince. Due to the lack of his mention on this tread he was definitely underrated. YouTube his ass.

Wow. Interesting. Makes sense
Posted By: Higginez Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/25/19
I don't know wtf underrated means, but here are a couple of great tunes with awesome guitar stuff that most of you guys have never heard.

Posted By: Morewood Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/25/19
The original post was dedicated to underrated guitarists and all y'all automatically post your favorite.

Everybody knows Knopfler is great and Prince absolutely shreds. Here is my nomination for best underrated guitarist:

Don Rich

Originally Posted by Morewood
The original post was dedicated to underrated guitarists and all y'all automatically post your favorite.

Everybody knows Knopfler is great and Prince absolutely shreds. Here is my nomination for best underrated guitarist:

Don Rich

Yep. Shame he died WAY to young in a motorcycle accident.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/25/19

Yep. This proves it.
Knopfler...
Todd Park Mohr
Posted By: stripe55 Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/25/19
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Yep. This proves it.

Prince was one of the biggest "sleepers" of all time on the guitar, but that performance has much more to do with the backing band, the energy in the room and Prince's abilities as a showman. He flat SOLD that schit!!! One of the greatest performances on youtube but FAR from the best guitar solos.

I'm a huge Prince fan, but there is absolutely nothing special about that solo. His performance was amazing though.
Posted By: baxterb Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/25/19
No one has mentioned the late Shawn Lane. Unbelievable guitarist.

You still hear his style in Buckethead's music.
Originally Posted by baxterb

He's been mentioned several times.
Posted By: baxterb Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/25/19
Originally Posted by Higbean
Originally Posted by baxterb

He's been mentioned several times.

my fault - I thought I had read all the posts.

Still - not many have a clue who he is.
Only guitar players know who he is.

Which is how it should be really.

Take a guy like Joe Bonermassage.

Never had a hit, plays a mean guitar and knows who his audience is.

He can play it up to his audience, make a bunch of money and have a long career.

Even has a "Greatest Hits" album.

Never been played on the radio or had a "Hit".

Kinda funny really, when you realize what exactly he is selling.
Posted By: stripe55 Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/25/19
Writing listenable songs AND playing skilled, energetic, emotional guitar really is a rare gift. There are quite a few that can play the notes, very few that can do that and write that music too
Posted By: CCCC Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/25/19
I've heard a lot of great guitarists and performed with some, but i's not possible to cite the "underrated" unless one sees the rating list for openers.

Excellent. Thank you for that.
Underrated guitarists? This guy on the silver geetar. Don't even know his name.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/25/19
Originally Posted by stripe55
Writing listenable songs AND playing skilled, energetic, emotional guitar really is a rare gift. There are quite a few that can play the notes, very few that can do that and write that music too

Yeah,...that's why Don Ross is so impressive. He composes everything he plays and it's *complex* stuff. I can't imagine being able to keep all of that music in my head. And then you consider the technical ability that he has to have to play it.

I don't believe that he's consciously thinking about what he's doing when he plays his guitar. He just picks it up and turns his fingers loose on it.

Outrageous muscle memory.
Posted By: HUNTS Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/25/19

Posted By: SCGunNut Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/25/19
Joe Holmes, the most underrated guitarist Ozzy ever had. He was an actual student of Randy Rhoads and therefore the closest in style to Randy of any of the guitarists that came after Randy. Unfortunately, he never recorded with Oz but I saw them live in '96 and he was phenomenal. Ozzy has said that when Joe played with him, he felt like Randy was right there with him again.

I nominate Richie Sambora on the triple neck.
Mick Taylor
Posted By: elkchsr Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/25/19
I was lucky enough to see Guy Clark in concert twice, and both times came away wondering how Verlon Thompson wasn’t a bigger deal than he is.

This guy has some game, both acoustic and electric. Richard Thompson.

Alex Lifeson of Rush never gets put into anyone's top ten, but he can play...for like 45 years now.

Steve Howe of Yes doesn't get the respect either. Under rated like Lifeson.

Mood for a Day @ 4:57. Exquisite.

Posted By: husqvarna Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/25/19
Good pick with Richard Thompson. 1952 Vincent Black Shadow also a great pick. How many people on the fire know what Vincent is?
Originally Posted by husqvarna
Good pick with Richard Thompson. 1952 Vincent Black Shadow also a great pick. How many people on the fire know what Vincent is?

This '51 will set you back $100 Large. Nice bike.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: shawlerbrook Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/25/19
Mark Knofler
Keith Urban
Gary Clarke Jr.
The late Stevie Ray Vaughn
Posted By: skeen Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/25/19
There's a lot of 'em, but I enjoy this guy, Matt 'Stubby Fingers' Andersen, and he can play that guitar.

Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/26/19

John Mayer is pretty good
Posted By: SMalloy805 Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/26/19
Coco Montoya..
Posted By: Anjin Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/26/19

Yep. This proves it.

Watch Dhani Harrison, who smirks as he knows what's coming!

Norm
Posted By: socko1 Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/26/19
Tom Crain from CDB.
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/26/19
Re: Shawn Lane

Originally Posted by Higbean
Only guitar players know who he is.

Which is how it should be really.

Take a guy like Joe Bonermassage.

Never had a hit, plays a mean guitar and knows who his audience is.

He can play it up to his audience, make a bunch of money and have a long career.

Even has a "Greatest Hits" album.

Never been played on the radio or had a "Hit".

Kinda funny really, when you realize what exactly he is selling.

I don't have an extensive collection of Shawn Lane's work, but I do have a bit of Jonas Hellborg's stuff including "Time is the Enemy." These live recordings show Lane's virtuosity and ability to control his guitar. Some really flaming licks on that recording. It gives me the feeling the guy could play whatever he could imagine, and it's flat out amazing to ponder an imagination like he had.

"Underrated" is kind of a squishy term, really...take a guy like Allan Holdsworth. He was not underrated by other serious guitarists---they recognized him for what he was, which was one of the very greatest who ever played the instrument (IMO, THE very best). Ask the typical rocker, though, and about 97% have never even heard of him. Most won't listen to anything that doesn't follow the 1-4-5 format anyway. I'd say Holdsworth qualifies as underrated, and certainly by the public at large.
Posted By: benchman Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/26/19
Steve Abshire. Great jazz guitarist. Very nice guy, a friend of mine.
Posted By: 257_X_50 Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/27/19
Originally Posted by TomT
Of course SRV was one of my favorite guitarists, but like Jimi, would never fall into the “underrated” category.

I saw someone mention Frucianti (one of my favs), so I’ll throw out the late, great, Jeff Healy. His style was unorthodox, but man, could he tear [bleep] up!

https://youtu.be/WqESGc1AnqU

Saw Jeff Healey play with SRV the night before he died.........totally agree.

You know they made lawn mowers right?

Irving was the genius.

Amazing bikes.

Egli continues the magic
Mike Bloomfield........Clapton called him “music on 2 legs”
Posted By: kendibs Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/27/19
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Alvin Lee.

Absolutely. Never got the full credit he deserved. I saw him a few times in concert. Once at an outdoor venue in Brooklyn somewhere, and his better performance at the Fillmore East. Both times with Ten Years After.
IMHO one of the better Gibson guitarists I have ever heard.

As a rock drummer who played in a few groups from the old Woodstock era, I can only say RIP Alvin.

-Ken

Originally Posted by SMalloy805
Coco Montoya..

Oh Yeah.
Sunday morning in Seal Beach
Forget the name of the restaurant
Right on 101...
Didn’t see Blues Saraceno......toured with Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce a couple of times.
And Bonnie Raitt hasn’t been mentioned.
Posted By: hanco Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/27/19
Chris Stapleton plays a mean guitar
Posted By: hanco Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/27/19
Brad Paisley is good too!!!
Posted By: Mr_Harry Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/27/19
Billy Gibbons
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/28/19
Originally Posted by 257_X_50

Irving was the genius.

Amazing bikes.

Egli continues the magic

reckless kelly has a great cover of that song.
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/28/19
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Originally Posted by 257_X_50

Irving was the genius.

Amazing bikes.

Egli continues the magic

reckless kelly has a great cover of that song.

Not to split hairs but the songs lyrics stated a black lightning.
Dale Mccory done on of my favorite covers of that song.
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/28/19

Anybody mention Molly Tuttle? She can hold her own with what she does.
Posted By: husqvarna Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/28/19
I'm embarrassed. I knew it was Black Lightning; I did the post very late at night fogged out on it. Thanks for the correction.
Posted By: hanco Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/28/19
Ian Moore
Originally Posted by hanco
Ian Moore

I like him. He had a bit part in Billy Bob Thornton’s Movie,
“ Slingblade”

He was one of the band members in Dwight Yoakum’s terrible band in that movie. He really had to work at it to play as bad as he did in the movie. 😬. He’s actually very good, as is Dwight Yoakum. 🤠

He also use to do one of those “Don’t Mess With Texas” commercials.
Posted By: Coyotejunki Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/28/19
Rick Emmit - Triumph
Steve Howe - Yes
Alex Lifeson- Rush
Originally Posted by Coyotejunki
Rick Emmit - Triumph
Steve Howe - Yes
Alex Lifeson- Rush

Steve Howe is one of the greats. He can do just about anything on a guitar.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/28/19

Already mentioned, Tommy Emmanuel.
Posted By: 3dtestify Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/29/19
Martin Barre
Alex Zivojinovich
Jan Akkermann
Posted By: lngrng Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/29/19
No one has mentioned Warren Haynes...……..listen to some of his cover songs.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/29/19
Luther Dickinson of the North MS Allstars isn’t shabby. Plays with the Black crowes some.
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/29/19

Some ""players"" might say this guy is afraid of playing a 22 or 24 fret guitar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBE1_VWcpCw
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: Underrated guitarists - 06/30/19
Alex Lifeson of Rush never gets put into anyone's top ten, but he can play...for like 45 years now.

This guy has absolutely the best reaction to RUSH! :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ3ilucduko
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: Underrated guitarists - 07/07/19
Bob Kulick

His solo here is other-worldly...

Tons of good stuff here but gotta look at the Swedes. They've been making real rock n roll for a long time now. Just one example..
Posted By: 43Shooter Re: Underrated guitarists - 07/07/19
A couple of votes for Vince Gill and Brad Paisley.
Posted By: Steve Re: Underrated guitarists - 07/07/19
Jimi Hendrix said he wished he could play like Kath.

Originally Posted by 43Shooter
A couple of votes for Vince Gill and Brad Paisley.

Both are pretty good pickers. Gill is a whole level better than Paisley, though, IMO. And probably one of the best country music pickers alive today.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Underrated guitarists - 07/07/19
Roy Nichols
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Underrated guitarists - 07/07/19

Originally Posted by CaptEdIII
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Alvin Lee.

Absolutely. Never got the full credit he deserved. I saw him a few times in concert. Once at an outdoor venue in Brooklyn somewhere, and his better performance at the Fillmore East. Both times with Ten Years After.
IMHO one of the better Gibson guitarists I have ever heard.

As a rock drummer who played in a few groups from the old Woodstock era, I can only say RIP Alvin.

-Ken

The Woodstock ‘I’m Going Home’ is a favorite.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Underrated guitarists - 07/07/19

Clem Clempson of Colosseum and Humble Pie.
Posted By: ribka Re: Underrated guitarists - 07/07/19
I saw Steve Howe with Yes recently and was impressed

Heck of a guitarist
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Underrated guitarists - 07/08/19
Originally Posted by Steve
Jimi Hendrix said he wished he could play like Kath.

He did have a sense of humor.
© 24hourcampfire