Home
Posted By: stxhunter dr pepper - 06/26/19
just bought a dr pepper made with real sugar, not a mescan one but made here plastic bottle. had for got how good they taste.
Posted By: Prwlr Re: dr pepper - 06/26/19
I like the Icee version too.
Posted By: Morewood Re: dr pepper - 06/26/19
Dr. Pepper doesn't taste like it did when I was a kid. Is it the sugar?
Posted By: Ghostinthemachine Re: dr pepper - 06/26/19
I buy the Walmart knockoff called Dr Thunder...but it's Diet.

It's surprisingly good and 5 bucks a case.
Posted By: Kellywk Re: dr pepper - 06/26/19
Was it a dublin dr. pepper? Lady I used to work with woudl drive through there and bring a couple of cases to the office, but i heard that Dr. Pepper corporate bought that franchise as was changing it out to corn syrup
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: dr pepper - 06/26/19
Originally Posted by Morewood

Yes. The difference is HFCS or sugar I believe.

I think there is a difference between beet and cane sugar too.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: dr pepper - 06/26/19

yes most are made with corn syrup instead of cane sugar.
Posted By: Redneck Re: dr pepper - 06/26/19
Originally Posted by stxhunter
just bought a dr pepper made with real sugar, not a mescan one but made here plastic bottle. had for got how good they taste.

I know a lot of folks like DP, but it's one drink I cannot stand...for whatever reason.....and the DIET stuff is - well, let's just say it'll never again be in this house as long as I'm livin' here.. smile
we're lucky in that we can buy mescan coke at HEB, glass bottles and cane sugar.
Posted By: 6mm250 Re: dr pepper - 06/26/19

No , it's old age

Mike
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: dr pepper - 06/26/19
Last year when i had most of my gut taken out i found that i couldn't drink Diet or regular DP.

Then the ones made with real sugar showed up.

Don't drink much soda anymore but they taste great.

Almost as good as the ones that were made in Dublin TX.

Man i miss those.
Posted By: 700LH Re: dr pepper - 06/26/19
Hope this is the coming thing, Mexican Coke is better we both think
I like the real sugar stuff.

It does seem to have a little less bite though.
Posted By: joken2 Re: dr pepper - 06/26/19

One of my favorite treats back in my youth was a ice cold Dr. Pepper in the 10 oz glass bottle and a bag of original crunchy Cheetos.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: dr pepper - 06/26/19
Kicking my DP habit was tougher than quitting smoking. Dr. Pepper IS the friendly pepper upper.

mike r
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: dr pepper - 06/26/19
Flaming Dr Peppers are better than the the sugar or corn syrup ones.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Oh, man.

Blast from the past.
Posted By: poboy Re: dr pepper - 06/26/19
Mom used to heat up the Dublin pure cane stuff and squeeze a little lemon in it.
My place was 12 miles from Dublin. Another 8 miles would get you to the beer store.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Oh, man.

Blast from the past.

Yeah, haven't had one in years. But I got a hankering for one now.
Me too!
Posted By: 5sdad Re: dr pepper - 06/26/19
DP is good stuff - now if their commercials haven't always been so fricking gay!
Posted By: hanco Re: dr pepper - 06/26/19
I’m a Dr Pepper man too!!!
Posted By: Beansnbacon33 Re: dr pepper - 06/26/19
I don't drink soda but my wife does. Too much in fact. First thing in the morning cracks open a dr.pepper or mountain dew. all day. Addict. I make a lot of tea in the summer so that helps change her pattern a little.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: dr pepper - 06/26/19
i think that pepper stuff is a southern thing.
wife bought some, with some flavor like cherry in it, actually pretty good.
but i cannot stand that gayazzed commercial on t.v.
Posted By: JTman Re: dr pepper - 06/26/19
Don't drink soda very often but enjoying a Captain and Dr Pepper as we speak... Would like to try some real sugar Dr Pepper, bet it's much better than the stuff we get up here.
Posted By: 45_100 Re: dr pepper - 06/26/19
I like Dr. Pepper. Always have. But I never buy anything to drink in a can. Rats pee on the cans in the warehouse. Always buy bottles.
Posted By: Gringo Loco Re: dr pepper - 06/26/19

That was my brother's favorite when we were kids.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: dr pepper - 06/26/19
Roger, could you take a picture so I can have my wife pick up some?

You get it at HEB?
Posted By: NVhntr Re: dr pepper - 06/26/19
Originally Posted by joken2

One of my favorite treats back in my youth was a ice cold Dr. Pepper in the 10 oz glass bottle and a bag of original crunchy Cheetos.

Food of the Gods!
Rice Crispy treat for dessert.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

You get it at HEB?

threw the bottle away earlier, buts its marked made with real sugar. kinda of beige label. got it at stripes so i'm sure HEB would have it.

Cooking some of that catfish with fried okra for supper.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: dr pepper - 06/26/19
Thanks!

I'll pass it on to the powers that be.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: dr pepper - 06/26/19

What the heck is Flaming Dr Peppers?

I would google it but not sure if I dare at work! lol
Posted By: Bootsfishing Re: dr pepper - 06/26/19
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: dr pepper - 06/26/19
I like the real sugar stuff.
Originally Posted by Rooster7

Shot of amaretto with some bacardi 151 on top. light the 151, drop the shot glass in a glass of beer and chug. The last thing you get is the amaretto, tastes just like Dr. Pepper. They'll mess you up because it doesn't taste like your drinking alcohol.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: dr pepper - 06/26/19
Forest Gump visits the White House.
Posted By: javman Re: dr pepper - 06/26/19

yes most are made with corn syrup instead of cane sugar.

The last Mexican comes at HEB and Mexican meat markets are coming out with a white stick on label, stating that contain HFCS. There is local place here in the RGV that still makes sugarcane juice here.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: dr pepper - 06/26/19
Call me strange( dont care)
I like to shake it and bleed off the carbonation several times and drink it just on the side of flat but with enough to know it is carbonated.
Posted By: Traveler52 Re: dr pepper - 06/26/19
DP and a little JD umm good
Posted By: 16bore Re: dr pepper - 06/26/19
Have a Pibb, Mr.....
Posted By: Poconojack Re: dr pepper - 06/26/19

Back in the day we used to dump a 5 cent bag of Planters Peanuts in a bottle of Dr. Pepper.
Posted By: websterparish47 Re: dr pepper - 06/26/19
I still do that sometimes.
Posted By: gunzo Re: dr pepper - 06/26/19
I no longer drink soft drinks, but in the day A Dr. Pepper was the best antacid there was. Bloated from too large a lunch? A few gulps of Dr. Pepper, huge burps & relief soon to follow.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: dr pepper - 06/26/19
Wife loves Dr. Pepper. Dublin was best. Real sugar in the green cans is better than the cornhole Dr. Pecker. I'm addicted to a Frozen Dr. Pepper every day, reconstituted several times with Diet Cherry Dr. Pepper's.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: dr pepper - 06/27/19
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Back in the day we used to dump a 5 cent bag of Planters Peanuts in a bottle of Dr. Pepper.

I first saw that happen at Fort Benning, Ga. in 1966, I then understood why the South lost the Civil War.

mike r
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: dr pepper - 06/27/19
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

You get it at HEB?

Both HEB & United Grocery’s dell it here. It’s the only Dr Pepper I’ll drink anymore.
Originally Posted by poboy
Mom used to heat up the Dublin pure cane stuff and squeeze a little lemon in it.
My place was 12 miles from Dublin. Another 8 miles would get you to the beer store.

Drive through there every once in a while Mike.
It’s a Museum and old fashioned soda fountain now.
They make a knock off version they bottle and sell, but it’s not the same. Used to drive through there just to buy several cases of it back in the good ole days. I think that beer store is still there though.
Posted By: NDsnowman Re: dr pepper - 06/27/19
Diet Dr. Pepper is my thing. Don't drink coffee in the morning (or ever) I start the day with a couple of Diet Dr. Peppers.
Posted By: Ghostinthemachine Re: dr pepper - 06/27/19
Originally Posted by 16bore
Have a Pibb, Mr.....

Holy 80s flashback.
Posted By: chickasaw_hunter Re: dr pepper - 06/27/19
I think I remember this correctly. The Dublin Dr. Pepper plant was the oldest bottler in the country. They were a franchise of Dr. Pepper and have always bottled DP using pure cane sugar. They had an assigned geographic area of distribution. The original formula was very popular and they were selling outside of their area. Dr. Pepper sued and Dublin lost its DP franchise and they started bottling some terrible things like grape and orange sodas. I had friends and relatives who lived nearby and would ship me a cases of Dublin DP, I think it tastes better. There are pure cane sugar DP's out there but I've found them hard to find. I don't know if the Dublin plant is still in operation. Without Castro none of this would be an issue. Since Castro, we've built a alternative sugar industry. I often wonder if pure cane is cheaper to produce than beets and corn and if some magic happened and Cuba came into favor how would all that play out in a competition between alternative sugars and cane sugars. I still like my sodas with cane sugar.
Originally Posted by chickasaw_hunter
I think I remember this correctly. The Dublin Dr. Pepper plant was the oldest bottler in the country. They were a franchise of Dr. Pepper and have always bottled DP using pure cane sugar. They had an assigned geographic area of distribution. The original formula was very popular and they were selling outside of their area. Dr. Pepper sued and Dublin lost its DP franchise and they started bottling some terrible things like grape and orange sodas. I had friends and relatives who lived nearby and would ship me a cases of Dublin DP, I think it tastes better. There are pure cane sugar DP's out there but I've found them hard to find. I don't know if the Dublin plant is still in operation..

You are correct on all of the above. The schitt they bottle now, their “home brew” stuff knockoff brand ain’t the same.
Like I mentioned two posts above, it’s a soda fountain & Museum you can tour now. They aren’t allowed to make or bottle Dr Pepper.
Posted By: Jericho Re: dr pepper - 06/27/19
I was walking through Walmart a few days ago and noticed they had 6 packs of Dr Pepper in glass bottles, they looked like the old time bottles, but I just glanced as I walked by. I gave up sodas quite awhile back and dont miss them at all.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: dr pepper - 06/27/19
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: dr pepper - 06/27/19

Shot of amaretto with some bacardi 151 on top. light the 151, drop the shot glass in a glass of beer and chug. The last thing you get is the amaretto, tastes just like Dr. Pepper. They'll mess you up because it doesn't taste like your drinking alcohol.

Gotcha.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: dr pepper - 06/27/19

Yes, the infamous ‘flaming shot’.

But, one should be very careful (and sober). Friend wound up in the emergency room with second degree burns on his neck and chest after a mishap while attempting this stunt with a double-shot of Wild Turkey.
Posted By: Chisos Re: dr pepper - 06/27/19
Originally Posted by Kellywk
Was it a dublin dr. pepper? Lady I used to work with woudl drive through there and bring a couple of cases to the office, but i heard that Dr. Pepper corporate bought that franchise as was changing it out to corn syrup

It was the Snapple corporate biggies who didn't like the Dublin designation on the bottle and not the real sugar content, iirc. Had my last Dr. Pepper when that happened.
Posted By: websterparish47 Re: dr pepper - 06/28/19
Correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to remember that U.S. law required a certain amount of cane sugar in all novelties (including ice cream and soft drinks). Ronald Reagan did away with that law in the '80s.
Posted By: rem141r Re: dr pepper - 06/28/19
you know why dr pepper comes in a bottle?

cause his wife died.

you know why dr pepper comes in a can?

cause he's turned queer after his wife died.
Posted By: tzone Re: dr pepper - 06/28/19
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
I buy the Walmart knockoff called Dr Thunder...but it's Diet.

It's surprisingly good and 5 bucks a case.

I wouldn’t say it’s good...but it ain’t bad!
Posted By: Valsdad Re: dr pepper - 06/28/19
we're lucky in that we can buy mescan coke at HEB, glass bottles and cane sugar.

Mexican sodas are about the only ones I drink nowadays. Jarritos mostly, Tamarindo, Piña, and such. Real sugar stuff.

I do enjoy a Pepper now and again.

None of the sodas taste as good as they did, especially Fresca when they took the cyclamates out of it.

Geno
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: dr pepper - 06/28/19
We don’t buy soda but on rare occasions. Once in awhile an ice cold coke tastes good on a hot day but that’s very rare. Around our house it’s water or milk.....coffee of course and sometimes lemonade or iced tea.
Back in the day flaming Dr. Peppers got you where you wanted to go. Crazy how much it tastes like Dr. Pepper but gets you fugged up like 151. Not anymore though.....I’ve already arrived at where I want to be and the mornings are a lot more friendly now. 😁
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: dr pepper - 06/28/19
Mom used to make us Dr Pepper floats with ice cream when we were kids. Much better than a Coke or Root Beer float, IMO.
Posted By: slumlord Re: dr pepper - 06/28/19
Man that's awesome

My mama fixed me a warm glass of shut the hell up a few times, never any floats.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Mom used to make us Dr Pepper floats with ice cream when we were kids. Much better than a Coke or Root Beer float, IMO.

Those are good and I haven’t had a float in a long time, I might have to change that soon. Coming back from Eastern Washington a couple days ago I stopped and got a big milkshake, that made the 4 hour drive more fun. By the time I got almost home the ice cream melted enough to get it through the straw. 😁
Originally Posted by slumlord
Man that's awesome

My mama fixed me a warm glass of shut the hell up a few times, never any floats.

😢
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Those are good and I haven’t had a float in a long time, I might have to change that soon. Coming back from Eastern Washington a couple days ago I stopped and got a big milkshake, that made the 4 hour drive more fun. By the time I got almost home the ice cream melted enough to get it through the straw. 😁

Yep. Me too.

On a related note, on the way to Colorado last week, I stopped at a Dairy Queen drive through window up in the TX Panhandle and got a large Chocolate Malt to go instead of supper. Damn thing was nearly $5 bucks, but it was damn sure good!!! 🤠
My kind of supper. All the food groups in one big cup. 👍
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
My kind of supper. All the food groups in one big cup. 👍

Yep. The good stuff!
Posted By: hanco Re: dr pepper - 06/28/19
We had coke floats, damn they were good!!!
Posted By: CharlieFoxtrot Re: dr pepper - 06/29/19
Originally Posted by Redneck

I know a lot of folks like DP, but it's one drink I cannot stand...for whatever reason.....and the DIET stuff is - well, let's just say it'll never again be in this house as long as I'm livin' here.. smile

Same here. You must have a very refined palate. wink

Dr. Pepper is like carbonated cough syrup. I'd have to be damn near dying of thirst. Jess sayin'. grin
© 24hourcampfire