Home
I musta been out of the loop.

It’s not very often I lay out while evening turns into dark skies, and my reference point for living under dark skies is Africa 30 years ago,

Holy crap it sure seemed there were a bunch of satellites, one every few minutes, all moving at geostationary orbit speed. Had a flash from one which was pretty cool,

Far more than I recall from thirty years ago when there often weren’t much to do other than watch the sky.

A good many this evening seemed to be moving south to north. Looked at em through binocs, just points of light no aircraft navigation lights.

How many satellites can you see in an evening anymore?
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

I usually fall asleep before counting them all......sometimes I lose count and have to start over.
Dozens...
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
Dozens...

^^^This^^^
Some, at least, are identified as "Rocket" this or that by Skyguide; booster sections I suppose.

Skyguide is an amazing app. I've learned a bunch just by pointing it then poking the bright spots on the screen.
Hey teach....
You are seeing geosynchronous satellites zipping across the sky.
Not geostationary which appear to only hover.
Just letting ya know while you franctically Google fu to see if I'm wrong...
About a month ago I found a weather station.

The floater setup.

Mailed it back.
(science)
Originally Posted by renegade50
Hey teach....

Ain’t it past your bedtime there Grampa?
Skyguide, I’ll look it up.
Hey teach....

Did ya check out yet that you was 100% wrong in your terminology Teach?
Or ya trying to deflect.
Just admit you was wrong Teach
It is no biggie Teach.

You should just stick to nautical mile dead reckon estimations of distance traveled insted Teach.

laugh laugh laugh

Fugging with ya man.
Be careful on your bike trip birdwatcher.
you need to quit smokin dat shît
There are roughly 20000 satellites around the earth.

https://astrobob.areavoices.com/201...orbit-earth-in-real-time-simply-amazing/
Hey teach....

Things sure were calm and peaceful here those couple of weeks Rene was gone, werent they, Birdy.
Depends on how much I have had to drink??
Wear NVG's.

You'll see more.
Which reminds me, how’d Gus make out with the probing?
Originally Posted by kingston

Seemed cool with it.
Originally Posted by kingston

Probably under the scope now.
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Hey teach....

Things sure were calm and peaceful here those couple of weeks Rene was gone, werent they, Birdy.

?????
Huh???
I ain't been gone a couple of weeks, even though it would probably lower some peoples blood pressure on here.
laugh laugh laugh
Hey teach....

If it’s geosynchronous orbit, you won’t see it move.

Definition:
"A geostationary orbit, often referred to as a geosynchronous equatorial orbit[1] (GEO), is a circular geosynchronous orbit 35,786 km (22,236 mi) above Earth's equator and following the direction of Earth's rotation. An object in such an orbit appears motionless, at a fixed position in the sky, to ground observers”.
Every time I go out to pee after dark, I normally see up to 5 at one time.

About four days ago, Space X launched 24 more.

Won't be long & the night sky will look like the freeway at quitting time.
Skyguide, I’ll look it up.

Yeah, it's way cool. I have been using it for a few years & really enjoy it.
If I'm wrong , I'm wrong.
Now I'm totally confused
One refers to other it seems.
What is what???
And I jumped birdwatchers chitt unwarrantedly.
Sorry if that is the case Birdwatcher.
I will send ya a bag box of 10 buck chuck wine as a gesture of
goodwill for my fellow man.

Rocky Raab our space SME needs ta chime in case postage might put me out beyond my 12 buck apology budget

Ok now that I went and did Google fu

I am completely confused but more educated .
Thanks for prompting me to research more Birdwatcher!!!
That's part of what teachers do!!!
cool

Spacecraft can enter orbit around Earth, its Moon, other planets in the Solar System, or the Sun, to provide in-depth studies of the object of interest. Most spacecraft have prograde orbits, that is they move from west to east, which is the usual direction of rotation of objects in our Solar System (although there are exceptions, such as planet Venus).

Low-Earth orbit
A low-Earth orbit (LEO) is the lowest altitude a spacecraft must achieve to orbit the Earth – at least 160 km.  Spacecraft in these orbits circle our planet once every ninety minutes or so. The International Space Station and the Hubble Space Telescope are both in LEO.

Geostationary and geosynchronous orbits
A geostationary or geosynchronous orbit is located at an altitude of 36,000 km, and takes a lot more energy to reach than LEO. At this higher altitude it takes the satellite a full 24 hours to orbit the Earth. Thus, the satellite moves at the same speed as the Earth rotates. Geostationary satellites are those orbiting above the equator in a circular orbit – they appear to ‘hover’ in the sky over the same spot on the ground. Geosynchronous satellites are not positioned over the equator or have an elliptical orbit and so appear to move across the sky. These types of satellites are typically communications or weather satellites, for example ESA’s Meteosat family of weather satellites operate in geostationary orbit.

Polar orbit
A polar orbit is any orbit in which the spacecraft passes over the rotation poles of the planet. In a polar orbit, the spacecraft can be made to follow any line of longitude. As the Earth rotates below the satellite, the satellite passes over a different region of the planet with each orbit. Polar orbits are used to map a planet – ESA’s Mars Express and Venus Express both have elliptical, polar orbits – or to observe specific effects relating to polar regions, such as Cluster observing the Sun-Earth interaction.

Sun-synchronous orbit
An orbit that passes over the same part of Earth at the same local time each day is called Sun-synchronous. ESA’s Proba-2 is situated in a Sun-synchronous orbit.

Originally Posted by tpcollins

It was more fun before he was corrected, you're crushing his psychotic thoughts of being the beholder of "super internet powers" and having capabilities of "raising others blood pressures" from afar...

And worst yet, now he's posting again...
We sit out quite often. Dozens and like you said moving south to north.
Geosynchronous and geostationary mean the same thing. Those satellites are directly above the equator at an altitude of 23,000+ miles. They'd appear stationary if you could see them (think about your TV dish) but they're far too distant to be seen.

Satellites in low orbit can be seen for about an hour at dawn and dusk, when the observer is in the dark, but the satellite is high enough to still be in sunlight. The Space Station, being the largest thing up there, is the easiest to see, but smaller satellites like Iridium telephone satellites are more numerous and thus seen often. Iridiums also tend to flash as the sun reflects off their shiny parts like solar panels.

The rest of the night, satellites are invisible because they are in darkness - and none carry lights.

I use this WEBSITE It tells me there are 1,950 objects in my sky right now, and that the ISS will pass over in 45 minutes. But none will be visible because it's now daylight.
Here's a really good site for skywatching" HavensAbove

Give it your lat/lon and among about everything you'd want you can get a list of visible satellites with when and where to look. You'll find much of the best is space junk, like boosters. You can set up an account which basically saves your location so you don;t have to type it in every time.
If I'm wrong , I'm wrong.
Now I'm totally confused
One refers to other it seems.
What is what???

Just STFU, you're in over your head.

Calm down, take a deep breath and focus on what you were taught.

We see bunches of them.
I musta been out of the loop.

It’s not very often I lay out while evening turns into dark skies, and my reference point for living under dark skies is Africa 30 years ago,

Holy crap it sure seemed there were a bunch of satellites, one every few minutes, all moving at geostationary orbit speed. Had a flash from one which was pretty cool,

Far more than I recall from thirty years ago when there often weren’t much to do other than watch the sky.

A good many this evening seemed to be moving south to north. Looked at em through binocs, just points of light no aircraft navigation lights.

You can stay awake long enough for it to get dark??? Wow... laugh

Only ones I can remember seeing were the old Echo sats from the '60s... Had two of 'em timed to basically cross each other around 12:30 am somewhere between Hong Kong and the Philippines.. That was the time I was one of the lookouts stationed on the bridge of the sub back in early '68..
Originally Posted by akasparky

It was more fun before he was corrected, you're crushing his psychotic thoughts of being the beholder of "super internet powers" and having capabilities of "raising others blood pressures" from afar...

Hmmmm????
Some of comments and snippets you grabbed.
Rent free in your head obviously.
Draw you out like the stuff you mentioned the other day on the bottom of your sneakers.

Who ever you are, 05 with 515 post.
You been around awhile.
LMFAO!!!!

Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Geosynchronous and geostationary mean the same thing. Those satellites are directly above the equator at an altitude of 23,000+ miles. They'd appear stationary if you could see them (think about your TV dish) but they're far too distant to be seen.

Satellites in low orbit can be seen for about an hour at dawn and dusk, when the observer is in the dark, but the satellite is high enough to still be in sunlight. The Space Station, being the largest thing up there, is the easiest to see, but smaller satellites like Iridium telephone satellites are more numerous and thus seen often. Iridiums also tend to flash as the sun reflects off their shiny parts like solar panels.

The rest of the night, satellites are invisible because they are in darkness - and none carry lights.

I use this WEBSITE It tells me there are 1,950 objects in my sky right now, and that the ISS will pass over in 45 minutes. But none will be visible because it's now daylight.

Thank you man.
I'm still confused somewhat.
So basically all the other orbit types can sometimes be seen within limits of the eye within reason of distance and angle stuff.
I will just think about stuff about on terra firma for now, until the kinetic energy wpns start coming down hard.
There's not enough to suit me. Just think how inspiring it would be if all the dementedcrat party leaders were in orbit too!

Nice!
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
There's not enough to suit me. Just think how inspiring it would be if all the dementedcrat party leaders were in orbit too!

Free schit from orbit on huge video screens proclaiming it to the world.

What a fugging nightmare.......
Here's a link hover your mouse on a 'dot' and it shows the orbit, ZOOM in and you see them move

and another

https://heavens-above.com/main.aspx

Thank you man.
So basically all the other orbit types can sometimes be seen within limits of the eye within reason of distance and angle stuff.
I will just think about stuff about on terra firma for now, until the kinetic energy wpns start coming down hard.

Oh, so you was wrong then........

To quote my then-young neice when taunting her nerdy older brother one day about his inability to ride a skateboard......

“Loooooser....... LOOOOOOSER!”

I have no idea why that quote came to mind.

See? Ain’t that more fun than all that gracious apology crap? grin

Thank you man.

Oh, so you was wrong then........

To quote my then-young neice when taunting her nerdy older brother one day about his inability to ride a skateboard......

“Loooooser....... LOOOOOOSER!”

I have no idea why that quote came to mind.

See? Ain’t that more fun than all that gracious apology crap? grin

Well now that I ate some humble pie I geuss.
Even though what you said was probably wrong also from all the posting also as far as I can figure.
And now ya wanna hurt my little feelings crazy grin laugh
I'm not sending you a box of 10 buck chuck now.
Probably best for you that I dont.
I might have injected it with a schitload of liquid exlax real carefully.

whistle laugh
”Looooooser...... LOOOOOOOOSER!”

Dammit! There it went again.......

Who’d a thunk the words of a six year old could have such a far-reaching impact?

Anyhoo... gotta run, I have a bicycle to ride.....

You thought I want them in space suits or stations? Quite the contrary...
tag
”Looooooser...... LOOOOOOOOSER!”

Dammit! There it went again.......

Who’d a thunk the words of a six year old could have such a far-reaching impact?

Anyhoo... gotta run, I have a bicycle to ride.....

Yep.... you sure do.
Burn up some miles.
Be careful of vehicles.

Everyone’s a science genius with google

Never have to read a book or take an actual science class

Thanks for heads up on sky guide

Originally Posted by akasparky

Shot out the airlock to become deep freezed meatsicles is a excellent option for em.

One can only wish.
Akasparky/ Mr "Dawn of Time".
Thanks for the PM!!!
crazy
I've got a question for Rocky, or anyone else that knows.

What type of orbit was Sky Lab in, and why did it not hold it's orbit?
Skylab was in low earth orbit. There is enough thin air to cause drag and slow it down, making such satellites eventually re-enter the atmosphere.

Many burn up on the way. NASA knew that Skylab was too heavy to burn up and they said, "So what, we'll invent a tug to boost it up later." Except they never did.

The ISS is rebooted every so often.
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Skylab was in low earth orbit. There is enough thin air to cause drag and slow it down, making such satellites eventually re-enter the atmosphere.

Many burn up on the way. NASA knew that Skylab was too heavy to burn up and they said, "So what, we'll invent a tug to boost it up later." Except they never did.

I saw Skylab go over when it was up, and I've seen the ISS. Skylab was a large point. ISS is big enough that you can kind of see structure.

At the farm, when the sky is clear and we're sitting out on a typical night during deer season, we're usually seeing a dozen or so. I installed a satellite app on my phone, so we can usually figure out what it is we're seeing.
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

Thanks.
Thirty five miles to Brady in three hours, with an appreciation stop on the San Saba River en route (water matters out here). Thinking back on them poor cowboys, all they had was warm, dirty horse slobber water out of the trough and bad whiskey, whereas today we got medium vanilla shakes at Mc Donald’s. No contest.

Waiting out a line of storms then headed WNW to Eden.

Who knows how many bits of geowhatever space junk I’ll see tonight?

Ain’t even halfway out of Texas yet, halfway is San Angelo, and thats 70 miles from here.

But, but, Dan! There’s not enough oxygen! grin
Yer catchin' on there buddy. laugh
© 24hourcampfire