Home
[Linked Image]
clic pic for story = Corn crop last year compared to this year
Don't need corn in gas anyway.
is there corn in chinese takeout?
Originally Posted by rem141r

Them tiny little baby ears
How would corn that’s harvested in the fall have any bearing on food supplies in July and August?

Locally here in southern Wisconsin corn looks normal to me.

Think cornstarch.
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

LOL
It's already starting to show up in the corn futures.

There's some corn in Chinese takeout if the local cats ate some corn.
Do farmers still plant ALL their acreage in the same variety of corn so that when it doesn't do good, ALL of it doesn't do good?

Geno
Hundreds of varieties and most of it is round up ready. Very few farmers plant ONE variety unless it was a really good one from the previous year. The weather is the real variable this year.

kwg
Dad said my cousins husband that farms a few thousand acres in northeast Oklahoma has 40 acres of beans planted. No wheat to combine. No corn planted. Haven’t strung any dry days together to get in the field. Not sure what he plans to do.
Corn in this area is waist high on average. My garden is the best I've had in 5 years. Ideal weather conditions here.
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

Think cornstarch.

Yeah, but arrowroot can substitute just fine.

Corn around where I hunt in Louisiana is taller than me and will probably be harvested and gone before I see it again. I've been told it's the corn they use for ethanol.
Tallest cornfield I saw today driving about 70 miles of highway, was less than a foot.
Most half that.

How do they shuck and silk them?
These areas that have been flooded or inundated by rain and unable to plow and plant up until recently????
Smalles corn crop in a whole.........4! years.

Anybody else think those damned things just taste like dirt?
Originally Posted by SockPuppet

I feel like a criminal eating them.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by SockPuppet

I feel like a criminal eating them.

Now you’ve done it Big Jim ! We gotta boycott the little bastids 🤠
Hate to say I've ever robbed a farmer's corn field, but if you pick field corn ears when they are tiny like that - 2" to 3" - they are delicious eaten just as fresh as you pick them. Sweet, tender little crunchy morsels.
That guy sure grew a lot in a year.

P
corn is not doing well here, lots of ground with no production
Sounds like a stock market ploy to me.... this stuff happens SOMEWHERE, EVERY year... its normal. But folks will try to make a buck over panic every last time.
Corn around here looks about like the OP's picture. It is disturbing to see how little is planted and growing. And how much has been drowned out that did get planted.
Originally Posted by rost495
Sounds like a stock market ploy to me.... this stuff happens SOMEWHERE, EVERY year... its normal. But folks will try to make a buck over panic every last time.

I know what you mean. This “food shortage” probably means that the USA will only grow enough to feed half the world this year. It’ll also mean only half as much rots and pet food will have to contain meat instead of corn. 😁
Originally Posted by kwg020
Hundreds of varieties and most of it is round up ready. Very few farmers plant ONE variety unless it was a really good one from the previous year. The weather is the real variable this year.

kwg

Thanks,

Geno
Originally Posted by GunReader
Corn around here looks about like the OP's picture. It is disturbing to see how little is planted and growing. And how much has been drowned out that did get planted.

If only we could predict better when the flooding is going to be bad. Then they could plant rice!

Geno
We have had too much rain is this part of Missouri but corn is looking good.
Dreams of grandeur.
Just fear mongering. Similar stories are all over the internet.
Originally Posted by jeeper

Corn around where I hunt in Louisiana is taller than me and will probably be harvested and gone before I see it again. I've been told it's the corn they use for ethanol.

They may sell it for ethanol, but they plant it for production. The same corn varieties sold for animal or human food is what they use for ethanol, and vise versa, I've been told by several corn growers. They plant whatever they think will give them the best production, and often several varieties to cover different possible conditions, and don't give a hang who buys it for what, except the best price.

Corn growers love ethanol - it drives the price of all corn up.
Most people are to fat anyhow. It might do them some good to drop a few pounds.

Corn isn't food for man ...anyway.
Isn't all the corn worries about Ethanol?
Nothing to fear down here, boys!!! We got the market cornered on wild hawgs! A porker on every pit! SHTF we’ll see who says ya can’t wipe em out shootin’ em and eatin’ em!!!!
Originally Posted by Valsdad

If only we could predict better when the flooding is going to be bad. Then they could plant rice!

Geno

The problem is that it was too wet to get into the fields to work. Rice, corn, beans, all has to be planted.

All of the farmers around here are 6 to 8 weeks behind. A lot of ground won't be planted this year. A lot of plans have been changed as to what they wanted to plant. Some will make money and some will go broke.

That short corn in the original post will really take off after the first application of fertilizer and water. Its still late but even by now it will be taller.
Wifey is on a diet, we ain’t buying any corn right now.
I think the article is really hyping the prepper crap..... Regardless of what it is used for, there will be less this year. Many of the areas that grow the most corn either haven't been planted because of flooding or lost much of the crop to flooding after planting. I'm not sure how well the late crop will come up on places that were eventually able to plant. Hopefully it will turn out well.

Below is a state by state corn production ranking from 2016. Many of the areas that put out big numbers for corn have been affected by the rain. In-laws came down yesterday from IN and confirmed that the fields look awful up there.

https://beef2live.com/story-states-produce-corn-0-107129
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pellagra
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER

Then you havent had too much. Ask the folks in the upper midwest farm belt.
Came across the Midwest last week on our annual prairie dog trip. Well over half the fields in the Midwest were sitting fallow and obviously wet. Never seen a year where they weren’t all planted at this time. Spoke with some farmers in a few diners and truck stops and they didn’t think it was hype. Going to be a hard year for some of them.
Do not need any more ethanol.
Corn might be worth something this year.

The HORROR!
Nothing new. Crops are almost always damaged somewhere and grow elsewhere. The farmers who have a good crop make a lot of money because prices go up. Those that don't have a good crop are bailed out by the government. In the rare years when everyone has a good crop prices are so low that no one makes money.
In my opinion, I feel that it isn't all hype and we will see higher prices but that is farming for good and bad years

Around here in Delta Colorado, the sweet corn, feed corn and hay fields a lot of them are being converted into hemp fields

So there will be winners and losers in a year or so on the hemp. The price of corn and hay will go up and the hemp losers will go back to where the money is good on growing what
the demand is in the area to pay the bills

That is just the way it is with just about everything be it pineapples,oil or pork bellies...stock market is no different

SWcowboy
Should we have a barrel of corn next to the 16 pounds H4350 powder, 5 AR's & the 50 bricks of 22 ammo?

Asking for a friend.
Then we have all those beans the Chinese aren't buying and farmers are whining about. Tofu anyone?

Screw corn, barley produces much better ethanol.
Originally Posted by SWcowboy
In my opinion, I feel that it isn't all hype and we will see higher prices but that is farming for good and bad years

Around here in Delta Colorado, the sweet corn, feed corn and hay fields a lot of them are being converted into hemp fields

So there will be winners and losers in a year or so on the hemp. The price of corn and hay will go up and the hemp losers will go back to where the money is good on growing what
the demand is in the area to pay the bills

That is just the way it is with just about everything be it pineapples,oil or pork bellies...stock market is no different

SWcowboy

Oh, man, double whammy there. A lot more people are gonna have the munchies but there's gonna be fewer Fritos and Doritos to go around.

Well, at least those rioters will be pretty laid back....
Soy Doritos? sick Maybe if you double the Doritos dust.
Its called weather...grew up on a farm.....its a crapshoot ...oh yea...dont burn food for fuel .....
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER

Then you havent had too much. Ask the folks in the upper midwest farm belt.

O yes, we have had too much rain.
by the time august democrap debates occur, they'll be outbidding each other to offer free food to the rank & file.

free food! just think about that. we knew the time was coming for an opportunity like this.
Gus,

How’d the abduction go?

Ding ding ding! We have a winner. Gotta get started early to make sure you get some bailout money instead of working.
Originally Posted by kingston
Gus,

How’d the abduction go?

thanks for asking.

so far, so good. i'm home.

two small polyps for the cats.

two weeks for a word from the lab.

the anethesiologist was quite the knockout.
Grew up on a farm in west central Ks. Family still owns it.
This year may be the best wheat crop ever, in the 100 plus years it’s been in our family.
Abnormal high rain fall caused it.
Some win, some lose, and the opposite will happen, often.
It’s farming, it’s not very predictable, other than if you are carrying a large debt load, you are on thin ice.
Originally Posted by Gus
Gus,

How’d the abduction go?

thanks for asking.

My brother is an anesthesiologist. Must not have been him.
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite

Ding ding ding! We have a winner. Gotta get started early to make sure you get some bailout money instead of working.

OTOH I've never known a 40 hour a week farmer, or one that didn't work hard. Or one that got filthy rich either.

Veal of corn
Last month when i came home around WACO the corn was between knee and hip high.

The cotton around here has just started it's growth spurt.

Next week it won't look like the same plants.
Originally Posted by Gus
Gus,

How’d the abduction go?

thanks for asking.

the anethesiologist was quite the knockout. -- I just wanted you to know that bit of cleverness did not go unnoticed or unappreciated. laugh
Originally Posted by plainsman456

Food corn or gasoline corn? cool
Lack of corn is bad news for pigs and deer. Hasbeen

It's all food for something.

People.

Cattle.

Cars.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

It's all food for something.

People.

Cattle.

Cars.

Yep.
It was feed corn.
The point being missed here is that vast swaths of the midwest corn belt (that produces the most corn and soybeans) are flooded out this year. Land is extremely wet. Are there some areas around the country doing well? Sure. But those areas don't produce the high percentage of overall production being discussed in the midwest grain belt.

There will be less overall production this year for corn and soybeans, at the least. We are past the crop insurance and prevent plant dates everywhere. Even if corn or beans are planted now and flourished (which is unlikely), they cannot produce as high of yield due to the shortened growing season.

Will there be a famine? I highly doubt it because the USA keeps commodity stockpiles for just such occasions. But as the stocks are drawn down the prices go up, even if there is plenty of product available.

Hay is in short supply in many beef-finishing regions as well this year, so there is a good chance that beef will go up by next year also.

And don't even take a gander at "African swine fever" if it gets over to the Western hemisphere.
Corn should be eaten or drank not burned.
we may have to switch to basic foodstuffs which include relative greater amounts of fiber.

i understand the germans were known to eat bread made out of wood dust.

just thinking that the hdwd sawdust was probably better than the pine?

anyways, there'll be plenty of food, but yes prices could climb.

does ADM - archer, daniels, midland still do business?
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Soy Doritos? sick Maybe if you double the Doritos dust.
Eating or drinking soy products has been implicated in feminizing men, as in shrinking lower parts and swelling boobs. A medical doctor lady we are friends with said that soy milk gave her a lot of relief for menopause symptoms. I try to avoid corn because of the carbs but I for sure avoid soy and don't use any soy based feed for my bulls.
Soy is terrible for people in general. It’s good for farmers and fixes nitrogen but other than soil restoration it’s not something that should be ingested in large quantities. Unfortunately soy is found in damn near everything anymore.

We feed our chickens Scratch and Peck feed. It’s soy free and organic seed. My wife works with a lady that loves eggs. She ate several eggs everyday and eventually developed an allergy to the eggs. She’d get nauseous and have abdominal pain after eating eggs so she stopped eating them for several years. My wife brought her a half dozen one day and told her to try our fresh organic eggs. She tried them and didn’t have any symptoms so she bought some from the store and the abdominal pain came back. She can eat our eggs but not the crappy ones from the store, ours don’t have any soy and that seems to be the cause of her discomfort.

I quit eating eggs 20+ years ago because they tasted different and left a waxy film in my mouth. Once we started getting fresh eggs from our hens I started eating them again. A half dozen fried eggs, a half a pound of bacon, some toast from homemade bread and a quart of real milk makes a good supper for me. 👍
Jeebus....youse guys sound like General Jack D. Ripper..........
Originally Posted by lightman
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Geno

The problem is that it was too wet to get into the fields to work. Rice, corn, beans, all has to be planted.

All of the farmers around here are 6 to 8 weeks behind. A lot of ground won't be planted this year. A lot of plans have been changed as to what they wanted to plant. Some will make money and some will go broke.

That short corn in the original post will really take off after the first application of fertilizer and water. Its still late but even by now it will be taller.

They plant rice overseas in flooded fields. Even have some machinery for it.

Of course, we could always import some paddy workers from an impoverished nation to help the midwestern farmer. eek

Geno
Anytime our feilds flooded..is sucked...but the next year was GREAT!....
© 24hourcampfire