Home
Posted By: coyote268 Colt collectors - 07/02/19
At a family function this last Sunday a son-in-law asked me to look at a couple pistols he purchased from a friend who was selling his fathers gun collection as he want to tour the US. He gave him two hundred dollars each and admits he knows absolutely nothing about guns or their worth. I'm a retired gunsmith so he brought them to me to look at. I almost fell over in a dead faint. One is an original Colt 45 single action I believed called the Peacemaker. The other is what I believe to be a Navy 1851 looks like 36 caliber. My question to u guys is who can he get an honest opinion of their appox. value if we send pictures. I have been out of the loop so long I have no idea what their value is. I might add that they are both in good condition and are really tight
Posted By: watch4bear Re: Colt collectors - 07/02/19
the colt 45 is termed Single Action Army. Look here for values

https://www.gunbroker.com/
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Colt collectors - 07/02/19
I had to check my calendar to see if it was April fools day.

In the absence of any ”experts” chiming in, you could always check out Gunbroker to check out trends in prices for the two pistols. That Single Action Army price could be all over the place given that it could be first, second or third generation, original or reworked, etc. obviously condition counts too. I’ve seen em from $2500 clean up to $10K and beyond. I have a first generation 45LC that is in immaculate condition....I wouldn’t take $10K for it.

The 1851 Navy, I couldn’t help you out on that.

Gunbroker and other internet auction sites could give you a general indication of value if you could find a close match to those pistols. General value....an expert appraisal would definitely be preferable though.

Best of luck
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Colt collectors - 07/02/19
Well, the Colt custom shop recently announced they are now taking orders for new Single Action Army’s. The price is $3400 each.

First generation SAAs are the most desirable and most expensive, with some examples well into the six figure range.

There are a lot of variables in the pricing.

I don’t know much about the percussion revolvers.

If he’s selling these for $200 each, I’d sure like to have his contact info.
Posted By: coyote268 Re: Colt collectors - 07/02/19
No Greg, he bought them for two hundred each along with a French black powder musket that I haven't seen yet. Thanks guys for the gunbroker tip
Posted By: kennyd Re: Colt collectors - 07/02/19
Anything with colt on it is worth 200, even their Italian made gen 3 saa or a italian .36. Hope dad is gone, he will be pissed
Go and try to buy even a heritage. 22 for much less than 200.
Posted By: HilhamHawk Re: Colt collectors - 07/02/19
Tell him I'll happily double his money.......... grin
Originally Posted by coyote268
No Greg, he bought them for two hundred each along with a French black powder musket that I haven't seen yet. Thanks guys for the gunbroker tip

I understood your post. I meant I’d like to meet the seller in case he had more to dispose of.
Ha, I beat you to it. He said the guy was gone so I was out of luck. The big question now is the French black powder muzzle loading rifle, it could be worth more depending when it was made than both Colts
C'mon, man! Let's see some pics!
They have not sent them to me yet. will try to post them if I can figure out how to, Also want him to send me the serial numbers.
Posted By: coyote268 Re: Colt collectors - 07/06/19
OK, I have a couple of pictures of them but I don't know how to post them so if you want to see them send an email to [email protected]. Please let me know what you think

Dan
Posted By: watch4bear Re: Colt collectors - 07/06/19
pictures for coyote268

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: moosemike Re: Colt collectors - 07/06/19
Posts like this make me weep. Because I never run into these kind of people. frown
Originally Posted by moosemike
Posts like this make me weep. Because I never run into these kind of people. frown

Do good deeds and always tell the truth grin
I do not believe the SAA is an original Colt, but a knock off.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Colt collectors - 07/06/19
The son that sold those for $200 each was a complete idiot.

Your son in law was not.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Your son in law was not.

Not necessarily. The colt SAA is a fraud, the Navy may be a new gun, made to look old.
Originally Posted by watch4bear

Your son in law was not.

Not necessarily. The colt SAA is a fraud, the Navy may be a new gun, made to look old.

I sure couldn't tell from the pics.

Could you?
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Colt collectors - 07/06/19
I do not believe the SAA is an original Colt, but a knock off.

Based on what?
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Colt collectors - 07/06/19

Until you hold it in your hand, you can speculate all over the place. Pictures aren’t a good resource either, as you can miss many imperfections. High resolution, close up pictures can tell a lot, but those pictures don’t reveal much of what those guns are...
The SAA was the most copied pistol in the world. It was made by the Belgians, the Spanish and the mesicans, among others

The one above has numbers on the side of the frame. A real colt below

[Linked Image]

the fact that the ivory grips are not good fitting replacements causes added suspicion , as does the nickel finish.

A mesican knock off

[Linked Image]
Posted By: coyote268 Re: Colt collectors - 07/06/19
This is what I'm trying to find out if they are copies or original. The screw for the grips on the ssa are dinged up and could add to what WFB says, I don't know, The Navy looks very much like the original one we had that got stolen. It was in our family for over 100 years, Will the serial numbers give any indication if they are fake or real, Thank you for posting for me as this is getting interesting
I guess I'm unaware of Colt SAA's being made in Mexico.

Do think you missed "Italy" in your list of who make copies.

But 1st Gen. Colt's do indeed have the patent dates on the left side of the frame.

But say for argument's sake it's a Uberti 7 1/2" SAA...

Is it not worth more than $200? If so, then someone went to a lot of time, trouble and expense to sell it for only $200... wink

Nickel and grips do not mean the piece isn't a Colt.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Colt collectors - 07/06/19
Originally Posted by coyote268
This is what I'm trying to find out if they are copies or original. The screw for the grips on the ssa are dinged up and could add to what WFB says, I don't know, The Navy looks very much like the original one we had that got stolen. It was in our family for over 100 years, Will the serial numbers give any indication if they are fake or real, Thank you for posting for me as this is getting interesting

What is the serial number?

Colt never made pistols in Mexico Tex. mesicans made copies of the SAA colt.

If it were Italian, it would say made in Italy, and the man wouldn't be asking questions.

Colt never made pistols in Mexico Tex. mesicans made copies of the SAA colt.

If it were Italian, it would say made in Italy, and the man wouldn't be asking questions.

I am not disputing what you say. I'm only trying to learn.
that was for rockinbar, not you.

many have been fooled by SAA's. A fella can get it stuck deep in his butt if he isn't careful. I know very little compared to a lot of Colt collectors.

many have been fooled by SAA's. A fella can get it stuck deep in his butt if he isn't careful. I know very little compared to a lot of Colt collectors.

I have two...three of you count the Frontier Scout 22 I own. I have a Second Gen 45, and an original Colt's Bisley Model, also in 45. They are most definitely Colt.

You are teachin' your grampa to suck eggs here with a couple of folks involved in this conversation.

Just sayin'.

You are over your head already.

But please continue.
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Until you hold it in your hand, you can speculate all over the place. Pictures aren’t a good resource either, as you can miss many imperfections. High resolution, close up pictures can tell a lot, but those pictures don’t reveal much of what those guns are...

And that's what it boils down to.

I sure couldn't tell from the pics.

Could you?
You are teachin' your grampa to suck eggs here with a couple of folks involved in this conversation.

Just sayin'.

You are over your head already.

Never met a Texan that didn't know something about colts. I reckon you did your learnin in Hollywood. From the real cowboys grin
Once again, you muddle a thread where the grownups were talking.

Worse than that, you made assumptions and judgements about another man's guns who was asking for help.

Help him, you did not..

Par for your course.
Once again, you muddle a thread where the grownups were talking.

Worse than that, you made assumptions and judgements about another man's guns who was asking for help.

Help him, you did not..

Par for your course.

Did you have jinglebobs in the movies? grin
© 24hourcampfire