Home
This is hilarious. In rural Canyon County, Idaho, there's a road named Chicken Dinner Road. PETA is trying to get the county to change the name to something 'more respecting' of chickens. After all, they're individuals and that name isn't kind to poultry.

CALDWELL — Chickens are friends for some people, dinner for others. Sometimes both.

But one animal rights group feels that the name of a rural road in the Treasure Valley isn’t kind to poultry.

PETA sent out a news release Wednesday morning alerting Idaho media that it has written a letter to Caldwell Mayor Garret Nancolas to ask for a change to the street name Chicken Dinner Road. However, Caldwell city street maps don’t include Chicken Dinner Road, which is located in rural Canyon County.

“Just like dogs, cats, and human beings, chickens feel pain and fear and value their own lives,” said PETA Executive Vice President Tracy Reiman in the letter.

She wants the mayor to change the name of the road to “one that celebrates chickens as individuals, not as beings to kill, chop up, and label as ‘dinner.’ ”

Susan Miller, the Caldwell mayor’s assistant, told the Statesman that the mayor was in a meeting. She said she wasn’t sure whether he’d be issuing a response to PETA’s request.

In the letter, dated July 3, Reiman said she’s not trying to “ruffle any feathers,” adding that words matter and “have the power to change lives.”

The way the industry treats chickens is inhumane, she said, because they are “confined to crowded, filthy sheds with tens of thousands of other birds, where disease, smothering, and heart attacks are common.”

It doesn’t get any better from there, she said in her letter.

“Then they are violently crammed onto transport trucks for shipment to the slaughterhouse, where they’re shackled and hung upside down, their throats are cut, and they’re immersed in scalding-hot feather-removal tanks — often while they’re still conscious,” Reiman wrote.

Changing the name of Chicken Dinner Road would show compassion to chickens and respect for other species, she said. She said PETA would help pay for replacing the sign.

Joe Decker, a spokesman for Canyon County, said the county has heard from a handful of residents who grew up there and don’t want the name to be changed. He said county commissioners were in meetings all morning, and he’s skeptical that they would change the name “based on a letter from PETA.”

A road name change would be handled by the county commissioners, as long as the road isn’t in Caldwell’s area of impact, Decker said via email.

“It would require a public hearing and we would have to notify all property owners having frontage on the affected road at least 30 days before the public hearing,” Decker said. “An application and fee are also required for an unincorporated county road name change.”

Why is Chicken Dinner Road named that?
How the name of the road came to be — it used to be called Lane 12 — is a story in and of itself.

The tale has many versions, each with devotees, according to previous Idaho Statesman reporting.

Those competing accounts initially caused Caldwell librarian Elaine Leppert in 2018 to respond to a Chicken Dinner query by saying, “I wouldn’t touch it with a 10-foot pole. I wouldn’t touch it with a chicken leg.”

But she relented. The story’s too rich to stay quiet, and its central facts are accepted by most: The titular chicken dinner was prepared in the 1930s by Laura Lamb, who lived along the then-rutted road. Other facts are less certain.

The most popular account has Lamb preparing her famous fried chicken for then-Gov. C. Ben Ross, a family friend, and asking him his opinion of the rough road he’d had to travel to reach her home. Ross told Lamb that if she could get the county to grade the road, he’d get it oiled. She did, then he did.

“I’ve heard it was a commissioner; I’ve heard it was the governor,” Leppert said. “My father said it was a commissioner.”

That last version carries some credibility, since county commissioners are more likely than a governor to hear a plea for improving a county road. Then again, Leppert acknowledged, a governor does have clout.

According to some versions, the street name first appeared on cardboard “chicken dinner” signs placed along the route to direct the governor — or commissioner — to his supper. After the road was oiled, vandals supposedly wrote “Lamb’s Chicken Dinner Avenue” on its freshly oiled surface in bright yellow letters. The name was catchy, so it stuck.

If the name of the road was ever changed, other aspects of Idaho life may be affected.

Houston Vineyards, which is located at 16473 Chicken Dinner Road, celebrates the name through its Chicken Dinner wine series.

“The naming of our Chicken Dinner wines celebrates and plays off a classic Southern Idaho tale — the story behind one of the most curious road names around,” Huston states on its website.

Chicken Dinner Road is also the name of an Idaho bluegrass band out of Middleton founded in 2007.
I guess peta hasn't yet heard about Buckshutem road here in south Jersey!
They’re going banana in Colorado now, too.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...population-meat-donated-charity-n1024966
I think we should give them maps to Toad Suck, Arkansas and Lizard Lick, North Carolina. And tell them to do both.
Winner winner chicken dinner...... smile
Originally Posted by irfubar

Bwahahah! Good one!
I'm jealous, I want to live on "Chicken Dinner Road"!

Best road name Ever!!
Originally Posted by irfubar

Now lets be more respectful. Chickens are people, too.

Winner winner tofu dinner
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana

Those cruel bastages killing those poor geese
Well hells bells quit drinking water too because it's the fish's home.
soooooo ,,..... just when did chickens learn to read ,that they know they are being disrespected?
In my neighborhood we have a Wildebeast Ln. , local legend has it was named after Hillary Clinton....... smile
Originally Posted by rainshot
It's also the fish's sanitary system.
I posted this response to the article in the paper:

Ah yes, the chicken. One of the stupidest animals on earth yet one of the most useful. It's the answer to every question of what something tastes like - it tastes like chicken. There are probably more tasty recipes for chicken than anything else on earth. They're easy to raise and only take 8 weeks to grow from egg to table. Mmm. BBQ chicken, hot off the grill. It goes great with corn on the cob and watermelon. Chickens do indeed deserve our respect - as one of the most versatile foods that God has given us. Col. Sanders had it right - finger lickin' good!
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
They’re going banana in Colorado now, too.https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/geese-denver-killed-city-reduce-population-meat-donated-charity-n1024966
The person quoted in the article is right. The problem is not going to be cured by killing hundreds of geese. They will reproduce. Surely there is a turkey processing plant somewhere close enough to process and package this resource so that people would have access to good low cost protein and the city could enjoy a much smaller more manageable population of birds. Geese are stupid and mean and they poop anywhere the mood hits them. I have used the expression "going through money like grass through a goose". If those folks had a resident population of older Vietnamese I bet this problem wouldn't exist.
Not quite the same but we live near the intersection of Clark Road and Crazy Woman Road.
Those people must have no life at all!
It is interesting that Chicken Dinner Road is not far from Floating Feather Road. I always wondered if there was a connection between the naming of the two county roads.

I had visions of an overturned poultry transport vehicle and an ensuing barbecue.
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
They’re going banana in Colorado now, too.https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/geese-denver-killed-city-reduce-population-meat-donated-charity-n1024966
The person quoted in the article is right. The problem is not going to be cured by killing hundreds of geese. They will reproduce. Surely there is a turkey processing plant somewhere close enough to process and package this resource so that people would have access to good low cost protein and the city could enjoy a much smaller more manageable population of birds. Geese are stupid and mean and they poop anywhere the mood hits them. I have used the expression "going through money like grass through a goose". If those folks had a resident population of older Vietnamese I bet this problem wouldn't exist.

Town I live in just made a lowlying area in town into a lake. Surrounded by a subdivision and Goose crap is everywhere on the sidewalks and once in a while one or 2 get picked off by cars. Our neighborhood has a lake and they have tried everything to get rid of this pestilence short of a goose blind.
Chicken Dinner road.......fond memories there.

RC, IS - you guys remember when years ago they were protesting about the name of Squaw Butte? IIRC, there was even some concession by some gov't agency that it may be changed. Well.......

Attached picture Squaw-Butte2.jpg
Yes, I remember. But over in Eastern Oregon N i g g e r Rock no longer appears on any map.
this happened on chicken road :

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Chicken Dinner road.......fond memories there.

RC, IS - you guys remember when years ago they were protesting about the name of Squaw Butte? IIRC, there was even some concession by some gov't agency that it may be changed. Well.......

We were through Emmett not too long ago. I don't recall any signs calling it Native American Woman Memorial Ridge.
They do this stuff because it creates TONS of free publicity....

OTOH, if this was the NRA, they’d just hand another $10 million to their advertising firm and buy Wayne a few more suits.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Are PETA members complete fools? (dumb question)

No actually, they are a wing of a political organisation, may have started from ideals but were soon corrupted after seeing what they could gain from coercion...now I would be inclined to think they have been subverted by the afore mentioned political apparatus.
I guess they haven't been to Dead Cat Canyon east of Challis, ID.
Wait 'til they all notice Pistol Creek, Artillery Dome, Grenade Creek, Remington, Marlin, Winchester, Stevens, Savage, Springfield and Luger Creeks; Forty-four Creek, Forty-five Creek, Twenty-two Creek, Popgun Creek - all in the same area.......did I miss any? So much gun violence!
What made this stuff even funnier with Squaw Butte, is that there are actually two Squaw Buttes, within sight of each other in neighboring counties - each with their own Squaw Creek. But the whiners never seemed to know about either creek or the other butte.
Heck, FM. I have watched the sun rise over Squaw Butte for 63 years and hunted/fished Squaw Cr and tributaries my entire life. (Gem Co) And I have never heard of the other Squaw Cr or Butte.

Adams? Washington? Valley? or Boise Couunty?

ETA: I managed to find one reference to a Squaw Butte in the Owyhee Mountains?
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Heck, FM. I have watched the sun rise over Squaw Butte for 63 years and hunted/fished Squaw Cr and tributaries my entire life. (Gem Co) And I have never heard of the other Squaw Cr or Butte.

Yep. Owyhee. Squaw Creek sort of parallels hwy 95 before you hit the valley coming from JV. You've probably gazed into parts of Squaw Creek canyon from above numerous times.
The one in Owyhee County is also called Flat Top Butte. There's a radio tower on top of it.
As to the question posed in the title of this thread. PETA is against the killing of rats. Do we need to speculate any further? I think the only species they are OK with exterminating is humans. I don't see how any organization that is concerned with kindness to animals could be in favor of introducing wolves into populations of ungulates.
As to the question posed in the title of this thread. PETA is against the killing of rats. Do we need to speculate any further? I think the only species they are OK with exterminating is humans. I don't see how any organization that is concerned with kindness to animals could be in favor of introducing wolves into populations of ungulates.

Well of course they are, they do not want to be next.
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Well of course they are, they do not want to be next.
You're right

Yep. Owyhee. Squaw Creek sort of parallels hwy 95 before you hit the valley coming from JV. You've probably gazed into parts of Squaw Creek canyon from above numerous times.

Once, about ten years ago I pulled the boat up and took the kids fishing at Leslie Gulch. Only been to Marsing that one time. Unless Squaw Cr is the one which passes through Rockville, I have not seen it.
Originally Posted by rainshot

And we know two things fish do in it. Best to at least add alcohol.... or skip the water altogether.

Squaw Crossing is where the Tanana dumps into the Yukon. Wide and shallow except for the main channel. I've run aground there at least twice (the river is about half sand/mud). No brainer how it got it's name.

Mooseheart Mt lies 10 miles east of my remote cabin.
The one in Owyhee County is also called Flat Top Butte. There's a radio tower on top of it.

Close. According to the BLM map, Flat Top is about 4-5 miles southwest of Squaw Butte. Piute Butte is directly north of Squaw, and separates the east and west forks of Squaw Creek.

Once, about ten years ago I pulled the boat up and took the kids fishing at Leslie Gulch. Only been to Marsing that one time. Unless Squaw Cr is the one which passes through Rockville, I have not seen it.

On your way back, you may have noticed a ranch on the right at the upstream entrance to a canyon. Or you may have glanced over to see the rock ledges on part of the rime of the canyon - right before you make the drop into the valley. That's Squaw Creek. It flows right through the valley that ranch sits in.
In Trumbull County, Ohio there is a road named Henn Hyde Road.
Locals call it Chicken Skin Road.

Close. According to the BLM map, Flat Top is about 4-5 miles southwest of Squaw Butte. Piute Butte is directly north of Squaw, and separates the east and west forks of Squaw Creek.
I see the problem. I have a Nat Geographic map program. You zoom in by clicking different levels of magnification. On 1 level, it shows Squaw and Flattop being the same mountain. On another level, it shows then a few miles apart. Looks like someone screwed up.

I see the problem. I have a Nat Geographic map program. You zoom in by clicking different levels of magnification. On 1 level, it shows Squaw and Flattop being the same mountain. On another level, it shows then a few miles apart. Looks like someone screwed up.

Google Earth does the same thing at some locations. And doing a search for Squaw Butte only gives the Gem County location in the results. Paper maps rule! laugh
© 24hourcampfire