Home
Posted By: 1911a1 New Battle of Midway movie - 07/08/19
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-OhjLLhztg

Maybe it will not be too bad.
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: New Battle of Midway movie - 07/09/19
Stirred me up enough to get out my "Midway" DVD starring Charlton Heston.
I heard they were filming it, but hadn't heard anything since.
Gonna be hard to top Chuck Heston and Glen Ford, but the trailer looks good.
Thanks for posting it. Glad to know the release dates.
7mm
Posted By: blairvt Re: New Battle of Midway movie - 07/09/19
why do they show planes flying 20 ft over the target? I know its hollywood but damn.
Posted By: drover Re: New Battle of Midway movie - 07/09/19
Just watched the promo - way too much CGI for me. If it looks that fake on a small laptop screen I can only imagine how bad it will look on a large screen.

+2 on blairvt's comment also.

drover
Originally Posted by drover
Just watched the promo - way too much CGI for me. If it looks that fake on a small laptop screen I can only imagine how bad it will look on a large screen.

drover

I hate CGI as much as anyone, and I'll be among the first to bitch about Hollyweird's over use of it. You're right, it looks fake and overdone, but if they stuck with how the strategy and tactics were decided, and how God Damn lucky we were, I'll give it a pass.
The true story of the Battle of Midway, is always one worth re-telling.
Of course I was awfully disappointed with Hollywoods version of Thermopoly and Leonidus Spartans. I guess we'll see.
7mm
Looks good to me. Hell, anything that puts patriotism in the forefront is a start these days, I will go see the movie.
I'd rather watch a cartoon.
Big Coke and double popcorn patriotic MAGA movie!! I love it when we kick butt. Except for dike soccer, that is.
Posted By: BeanMan Re: New Battle of Midway movie - 07/09/19
I wonder if the screen writers have read, “Shattered Sword”?
Link?
Originally Posted by blairvt
why do they show planes flying 20 ft over the target? I know its hollywood but damn.

I hadn't seen planes flying down streets since "1941".

That movie was intended to be a joke......
I'm sure they will screw it up.
It is a remake by holly wood, it will be wrong.
Posted By: Willto Re: New Battle of Midway movie - 07/09/19
I love the older version with Charlton Heston. I would love to see a good remake but the special effects shots in that trailer looked absolutely cartoonish. I have seen better special effects on tv shows back in the 90's. Special effects aren't everything but when I see people willing to put pitiful looking trash like that on screen it makes me highly doubtful that they will handle the other aspects of the film any better.
Originally Posted by stevelyn

It is part cartoon.
I will be anxiously awaiting the release. And thinking of those valiant young men of the torpedo squadrons throwing their lives away in a vain attempt to reach the Jap carriers.

Except it was not all in vain. Those brave young men died keeping the Japanese ships tied up in evasive maneuvers and CAP replenishment. So the Jap carriers never got the chance to launch air strikes which well could have sunk all three of our flattops.

Probably the most significant five minutes in the history of American warfare.
I hope it's not just a Soap Opera with a bunch of special effects thrown it. They don't have to jazz it up....the reality is amazing enough as it is.
Do they use F-22’s and 35’s in the new version? 😁
Posted By: kid0917 Re: New Battle of Midway movie - 07/09/19
I will have to pass, modern Hollywood has nothing I am wanting or needing.
Originally Posted by smarquez
Originally Posted by stevelyn

It is part cartoon.

I know. I'd rather watch a full cartoon of Midway than a part-cartoon that doesn't try to be realistic. The movie Fortress did an excellent job with CGI. It looked real.

The dumbasses that did Beowulf sucked at it. I'm afraid the Midway reboot is going to be disappointing like Beowulf.

drover

What's GCI??
I would love to see a new movie like that. But, they will probably put a p hagg or two in there and have women or minorities in positions they did not fill in the 1940's military. No way will it be accurate enough to tell the great story that was the Battle of Midway. I guess I will stay home.
Posted By: Pugs Re: New Battle of Midway movie - 07/09/19
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
I would love to see a new movie like that. But, they will probably put a p hagg or two in there and have women or minorities in positions they did not fill in the 1940's military. No way will it be accurate enough to tell the great story that was the Battle of Midway. I guess I will stay home.

Yea. Even from the trailer you can see that they gave it the whole modern interpretation movie. It will be saved for when it's on TV on a snowy Saturday. The need to do CGI when there are real Zeros and SBDs and Wildcats out there to film leaves me pissed especially when they portray everyone flying around at 20 feet.

The 1970s Midway had a lot of issues but they had a lot more limitations back in the day and they "mostly" restrained from making it a soap opera. Saw it in the theaters with my Grandfather and the "sensaround" sound system. You sure know it when the first bomb went off!
Posted By: Redneck Re: New Battle of Midway movie - 07/09/19
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
......and somehow, anti-Trump...

Originally Posted by Pugs

The 1970s Midway had a lot of issues but they had a lot more limitations back in the day and they "mostly" restrained from making it a soap opera. Saw it in the theaters with my Grandfather and the "sensaround" sound system. You sure know it when the first bomb went off!
They were still filming that movie when our sub was in HI for torpedo loading.. We could see the Zeros trailing smoke for some of the shots not to far off the beach.. It was really cool to see those old planes going through their paces.. This was back in very early '69, IIRC...
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: New Battle of Midway movie - 07/09/19
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
......and somehow, anti-Trump...

Originally Posted by Pugs

They were still filming that movie when our sub was in HI for torpedo loading.. We could see the Zeros trailing smoke for some of the shots not to far off the beach.. It was really cool to see those old planes going through their paces.. This was back in very early '69, IIRC...

In the '76 midway wasn't most of the newer scenes with planes that were not archival lifted from the earlier movie Tora Tora Tora.which was released in about '70.
Originally Posted by Hancock27

drover

What's GCI??

Really, what is CGI?
I believe it stands for Computer Generated Input.
Computer animation in other words.
It allows the filmmakers to computer simulate all these crazy stunts and massive explosions that they now use because nobody has the ability anymore to write an interesting plot! grin
A little of it would be ok. It's pretty hard to special affects a torpedo bomber attacking a carrier, so they use CGI. Trouble is they usually overdo it. The laws of physics goes out the window and trucks run 70 mph on a flat tire, cars jump gorges hundreds of feet and land flat without damage, and hand grenades explode like 50'lbs of C4. It ends up looking stupid to us old bastards, but the younger crowd seems to love it. grin
7mm
Of course many of us, like me, will go see it even if it sucks, thanks for the heads up.
Looks exactly like a flight sim. Intentionally recreating a video game experience rather than trying to represent reality. Obvious after three seconds.
Originally Posted by 1911a1
Stirred me up enough to get out my "Midway" DVD starring Charlton Heston.

That movie had a helluva cast, practically everyone who was anyone, or was gonna be anyone, was in it. If you're watching close, you can see Tom Selleck as a Marine on the beach, Erik Estrada in his earliest years, and lots and lots of others who went on to have "big" careers.
I really like watching older movies, so I habitually glance through the bargain racks.
I got a 4 war movie set with Midway, To Hell and Back, McCarthur, and one I don't remember the title. It's about a commando raid freeing US POWs from a Jap camp.
I snapped it up for $5! grin
As Mike said, I'm a history nerd as well, so it's on my list. I hope they stayed true to the history as did the original, and I hope it's not sappy or overloaded with CGI explosions (looks like it is).
7mm
It's about a commando raid freeing US POWs from a Jap camp.

The Great Raid.

In real life, a helluva accomplishment. Good movie, too.
© 24hourcampfire