Home
Posted By: dale06 Mowers big ones - 07/10/19

Any recommendation on a pto powered mower for mowing dove food plots and general mowing around a farm.
Looking 6’ or wider, but not multi deck.
What brands to buy, or avoid?
Posted By: 257_X_50 Re: Mowers big ones - 07/10/19
Bush Hog offset finisher.
You don’t need the big gearboxes for food plots and such.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Mowers big ones - 07/10/19
I've got a Mohawk 72.

Pretty heavy duty shredder that'll chew up lots of growth. The domed, smooth deck allows the mower to handle tall growth better.

It has a clutch, rather than shear bolts as well.

Those folks make good stuff.

[Linked Image]

I went to a Woods 12' batwing, and don't use this one much.

Make ya a deal on it! wink
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Mowers big ones - 07/10/19
I dig Tractor Implements. grin
Posted By: Ole_270 Re: Mowers big ones - 07/10/19
Back when I was doing this stuff, the 7 footers were considered heavy duty brush cutters, way more durable than the 5 and 6 foot types. If you needed more, there was the 14' solid frame type. Nowadays there are a lot of 20' batwings out there.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Mowers big ones - 07/10/19
You don't need a real heavy duty mower if all you're going to be cutting is food plots and just general farmstead mowing. It's hard to go wrong with a Bush Hog brand, although you can probably buy some lower priced ones that will do the job just as good. I have a 10 foot pull type Bush Hog brand, and a 6 foot Rhino that is a 3 point hitch. The Rhino is a what they call a medium duty, which translates into a "we made as cheap as we could so we could sell it as cheap as we could" type of cutter. But, it's worked very good for what I do with it, and I have no complaints.

Just get one that is sized properly for your tractor. Most cutters are going to have gearboxes that are rated for so many horsepower. You don't want to put a lightweight cutter on a tractor that's too big, or you'll probably end up with a tore up gearbox. By the same token, you can put a cutter that's too big on a tractor, and have problems there.
I've had people with small tractors and finish mowers call me to come cut their property because they couldn't... grin

The grass and weeds get 3-4 foot tall and thick, a finish mower just won't do it in some cases.

I've also learned to stay away from the double cutter shredders. They seem to be too heavy and cause too much stress on the 3 point system in many pasture scenarios.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Mowers big ones - 07/10/19
I dont think youd go wrong with a Woods or Bush hog brand.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Mowers big ones - 07/10/19
Get a cheap one king kutter 8 ft

After run over a few stumps, concrete blocks and chevy monza blocks...you won't be so boo-boo faced about fuggin it up

πŸ˜€
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
I dont think youd go wrong with a Woods or Bush hog brand.

Woods are good cutters. I have two of their batwings... a 12' and 15'..

The 15 is in the shop as we speak getting a new rear axle assembly courtesy of Woods as we speak. They stand behind what they sell.

My cutter was out of warranty for that sort of thing, but they had some issues with that and are totally paying for the new one, and labor.

I do believe that Bushhog bought Rhino... They are the same now.

For my needs, I really need a Schulte for shredding ranches... But the SOB below is $25k... eek

https://www.nuecesfarmcenter.net/in...-Grade-Cutter--Robstown-Texas---11313131
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Mowers big ones - 07/10/19
My Woods mower has been great.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Mowers big ones - 07/10/19
Originally Posted by slumlord

After run over a few stumps, concrete blocks and chevy monza blocks...you won't be so boo-boo faced about fuggin it up

πŸ˜€

agree with slum.......these things take a beating......

keep blades sharp & gear box full of oil....zerks lubed.......mow away

I use a 5' on my CK35 Kioti.......the other orange tractor.....

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/countyline-rotary-cutter-6-ft
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Mowers big ones - 07/10/19
I have a Frontier brand 84"er. It has had the holy dogcrap beat out of it.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Mowers big ones - 07/10/19

πŸ˜€

This. Run it til it dies, then go buy a new one.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Mowers big ones - 07/10/19
They are all bush hogs.
Posted By: Snyper Re: Mowers big ones - 07/10/19
I like Hardee:
https://www.hardeebyevh.com/
Posted By: WeimsnKs Re: Mowers big ones - 07/11/19
I found a bush hog 306 3pt for $350. It is 7ga steel. Weighs 1000lbs and has a 90hp gearbox. It was used hard but find that weight and gearbox today and price them. It is a 1976 model and I can find parts for it easy at the BH dealer in town.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Mowers big ones - 07/11/19
Id lean towards a drawbar pull type cutter also.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Mowers big ones - 07/11/19
Unsolicited advice.

If you have a front loader, and obstacles to mow around, take it off.
When you are done, take the mower off.

It's not at all uncommon to swing one of these into something.
Especially when thery are both mounted.

If you won't be around other objects much, ignore this.
Posted By: Barney_Fife Re: Mowers big ones - 07/11/19

Solid advice right here.
Posted By: hanco Re: Mowers big ones - 07/11/19
Bush Hog
Posted By: Redneck Re: Mowers big ones - 07/11/19
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I've had people with small tractors and finish mowers call me to come cut their property because they couldn't... grin

The grass and weeds get 3-4 foot tall and thick, a finish mower just won't do it in some cases.
That's because they're using the wrong mower...

I have two 6-footers; one's a Woods finish mower, the other's a John Deere brush cutter... The former is used to mow my lawn, the latter is for the perimeter and ditch mowing.. It's a pretty heavy-duty unit with a single rotating disc that has two, 1/2" thick blades attached. Both are pulled behind my JD 3039R... And both do a very good job..
Posted By: atomchaser Re: Mowers big ones - 07/11/19
I use a 6 ft wide flail mower. It's easier to maneuver and doesn't throw stuff a mile.
Posted By: 163bc Re: Mowers big ones - 07/11/19
I've destroyed several. Finally got a Woods 7 foot Brush Bull. It is well named and has held up better than any other i've ever seen or used.

https://www.woodsequipment.com/productDetails.aspx?id=68
© 24hourcampfire