Home
Posted By: RockyRaab But it's a dry heat... - 07/12/19
Sat outside with my Friday martini for an hour. Delightful on my front porch. While there, we hit our high for the day at 98° and the humidity was way up there at 12%. My old bones loved it, but I could feel my skin drying out as I sat there. Ah heck, lotion is cheap.
Posted By: frank500 Re: But it's a dry heat... - 07/12/19
I HATE summer. Much rather have cold and snow but I’m only 64 and a descendant of a Siberian.
Thank you for your service sir
Posted By: tikkanut Re: But it's a dry heat... - 07/12/19

4 hrs SE of you at 6K'...........

been pushing 90*

No a real big fan of the heat past 80* or so......

then the monsoonal season is upon us.....afternoon T/storms.......

Good for nothing but dry lightning strikes & fires.....sucks

Then the humidity might jump to 25%........holy schidt its sticky......

Then the fuggin' bugs......knats & skeeters luv me.......

On the better side......irrigation water for the past 100+ days has been unlimited....use all you want

Once Millsite Res stops spilling....free water is gone......B I G snowpack as we all know......

Gotta luv Utah no matter what........yes its still a four letter word !!!!!!!!!!!

pic file summer '18

[Linked Image]
Posted By: hanco Re: But it's a dry heat... - 07/13/19
97 here, I guarantee you the humidity was a lot higher than 12 per cent
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: But it's a dry heat... - 07/13/19
Hot is hot . Dry heat is still hot. Heat and high humidity makes it feel hotter because of less evaporation from your body. Guess what heat is heat.
You people have no idea... 85 degrees at 8:ooam with 90% humidity... it's brutal here this time of year
Posted By: blanket Re: But it's a dry heat... - 07/13/19
Try South Asia on for size you want hot and humidity
Posted By: cowdoc Re: But it's a dry heat... - 07/13/19
My brother lives close to CO Springs-he says on the trek east about halfway across Nebraska its "Oh yeah-HUMIDITY!"
Posted By: 257James Re: But it's a dry heat... - 07/13/19
Paxton was great!!
Posted By: g5m Re: But it's a dry heat... - 07/13/19
114 yesterday.
Posted By: RS308MX Re: But it's a dry heat... - 07/13/19
I have no use for July and August. I can't stand the heat. I don't know how you guys in the South live with it. I'd be inside 24/7 with the A/C set at 58°! The only good thing about summer is hummingbirds and lightning bugs!

I sure would like to be having an adult beverage with Rocky at his place though. Never been to Utah.

Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Sat outside with my Friday martini for an hour. Delightful on my front porch. While there, we hit our high for the day at 98° and the humidity was way up there at 12%. My old bones loved it, but I could feel my skin drying out as I sat there. Ah heck, lotion is cheap.

A dry heat? So is a blow torch. 😀
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: But it's a dry heat... - 07/13/19
All you have to do is show up, good sir.
Posted By: Windfall Re: But it's a dry heat... - 07/13/19
I keep hearing about those high temperatures and then the people say, but it's dry heat. Yeah, and we cook a turkey in dry heat.
Posted By: Azshooter Re: But it's a dry heat... - 07/13/19
There are some advantages of that "dry" heat. You can wear a wet hat or bandanna or if you want more a wet shirt and get cooled off. If you use a clothes line and hang out the sheets first by the time you are done hanging things up the sheets will be dry. Sitting in the shade even when 100 degrees isn't bad.

What sucks is getting into a car when it is 105 or more outside. Or making the mistake of setting a few wrenches in the sun while you work. Car engines hate sitting in traffic when it is that hot as the asphalt can be 160 plus.

It was 107 two days ago, hottest yet this year for Tucson, but humidity was 8-10%. Monsoon will be raining on us soon. S. Az has gotten several storms already.
Posted By: Windfall Re: But it's a dry heat... - 07/13/19
Dad had a place out in Yuma for the winter and when he went back out there after spending the summer here is Wisconsin, the candles inside the house would be melted. We can actually go outside and recreate during the day here in the north.
Posted By: RJY66 Re: But it's a dry heat... - 07/13/19
Originally Posted by RS308MX
I have no use for July and August. I can't stand the heat. I don't know how you guys in the South live with it. I'd be inside 24/7 with the A/C set at 58°!

Even if you work outside say 8 hours a day at least you can get out of it and sleep cool because of AC. I don't know how the people made it without AC in the past. Ceilings were higher in old houses and they used fans but that could only help so much. AC is what made the "new South".....otherwise so many people would not want to be here.....certainly not in the summer. I'm convinced that climate control is why more people live longer these days. I think if the grid got hit or something and we were without AC, a lot of old people might die.

I'm not really familiar with "dry heat". I do know the mornings here are miserable because of the humidity......from say 7 to 10 am. Even though it gets hotter later in the day, to me it feels better because the humidity lifts a bit and the wind picks up a little. I imagine that in hot weather with low humidity you would really have to watch out for dehydration if active outside.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: But it's a dry heat... - 07/13/19
You sure do. Sweat is still pouring out, but it evaporates instantly. Because you don't realize you're sweating, you forget to drink water. By the time you feel thirsty, you're way behind on hydration.
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: But it's a dry heat... - 07/13/19
Way to hot for me.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: But it's a dry heat... - 07/13/19
Floriduh's humugity is usually higher than the temp. Ain't we special?
Posted By: Hook Re: But it's a dry heat... - 07/13/19
At a meeting in Phoenix several years ago with a team from my office. We stepped outside at 5pm to board a bus to an off site facility for a meal and stepped directly into the afternoon sun. One of the team, a little black lady out of the lab, stopped as if smacked with a 2X4. After standing there stunned by the wall of heat for a second, she said, "I don't care what they say about dry heat, the sun is just closer to the earth out here than it is in Alabama!".
Posted By: JoeBob Re: But it's a dry heat... - 07/13/19
With a dry heat, you can feel fine and really not that hot until you are suddenly in trouble because you dehydrated. When it is humid, you can get in situations where no matter how much you sweat, you body’s cooling mechanism is ineffective because your sweat won’t evaporate.

I’ve experienced both types, dry heat all the way up to temps in the 115 range is more comfortable to me than 90 and very humid. But it is more dangerous because if you don’t constantly hydrate, you’ll get in trouble before you know it.

With high humidity, I actually think those days when it isn’t that hot, maybe in the low 80s are the most dangerous. That is the closest I ever came to heat exhaustion. It wasn’t hot, but I didn’t realize that my body’s cooling system wasn’t working and I redlined in a hurry.
Posted By: slumlord Re: But it's a dry heat... - 07/13/19
Some of you wouldn't last a week in the Southeast.

Your heads would pop like a litter of kittens in a decompression chamber.

Probably catch a beat-down on Day-2 for braggin about sippin a mantini. grin
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: But it's a dry heat... - 07/13/19
Originally Posted by g5m
114 yesterday.

yesterday afternoon, dogs were ansy, so we sat in the back yard for a while under the shading influence of a tree we planted in the yard.
four dogs, two pigmy goats, wife and myself sharing the shade. The dogs went back in the house as fast as they could.
i can remember being in the desert one day at over 120 degrees.
With zero humidity i can handle it, but it is true you can get into trouble quick. It's said if you are not drinking enough water to pee regularly, you are in trouble.
few years ago i rode my gold wing from prescott south to phoenix in july. by the edge of phoenix i was getting dizzy and heat exhaustion. Had to stop and drink couple bottles of water and pour some over my head.
I got to when i was making that trip i would use a garden hose to soak myself, by the time i got to phoenix, perfectly dry.
I told my wife yesterday i am an old man now and i don't have to put up with that heat. inside under the ac until the weather breaks. The monsoons are close tho, lots of heavy clouds over northwest phx, and humidity is up. I can't stand humidity, dry heat is easier to deal with for me.
relative is relocating to florida in a month or two. We were talking about it yesterday. The bugs, humidity, hurricanes are going to be an eye opener for a kid raised in phoenix.
Posted By: PJGunner Re: But it's a dry heat... - 07/13/19
Sometime last week we hit 109 here in Tucson setting a new record high for that date. I could look it up but I'm too lazy. All time record for Tucson is 117 which was set sometime in June quite a few years back now. You bet hydration is important out here. I usually do a lot of my reload workups at the range this time of year, some sessions lasting from 7A when the range opens tp 5 PM when they close. They've changed the rules so now it closes at 2 PM. What a bunch of puzzies. On the days I go, I take two one gallon jugs that were half filled and placed in the freezer. I fill them all the way when I leave for the range. By noon or a little later the ice has completely melted and by the time I usually quit shooting the water is quite warm. During the winter a two minute wait between shots is workable but this time of year on some days ten to fifteen minutes between shots to keep the barrel reasonably cool. Deer hunting in the southern part of the state can have temps as highs in the upper 80's. I've hunted the Kaibab in Northern Arizona where mid 70'd to lower 80's made hunting difficult. Deer were out early in the AM and bedded down earlier than normal. Most didn't come out until it was almost too dark to hunt.
After all, "It's a dry heat." whistle
Paul B.
Posted By: ironbender Re: But it's a dry heat... - 07/13/19
-54* in a Fairbanks wnter is a dry cold.
Posted By: J23 Re: But it's a dry heat... - 07/13/19
Its been in the upper 80s/low 90s round here the past few days, humidity in then high 50's makes it rough.

I spent yesterday on my tractor working the loader moving dirt and mowing my fields. No hat. My head and face are paying for it today!!
Posted By: mart Re: But it's a dry heat... - 07/13/19
At our arctic oilfield site we get a lot of Texans from corporate throughout the year. Every time one of them complains about the severe cold in the winter I always say, "yeah. but it's a dry cold." grin

I got very sick of hearing, "but it's a dry heat", when I was going through basic in El Paso. In the summer.
Posted By: Sycamore Re: But it's a dry heat... - 07/13/19
Originally Posted by Azshooter
There are some advantages of that "dry" heat. You can wear a wet hat or bandanna or if you want more a wet shirt and get cooled off. If you use a clothes line and hang out the sheets first by the time you are done hanging things up the sheets will be dry. Sitting in the shade even when 100 degrees isn't bad.

What sucks is getting into a car when it is 105 or more outside. Or making the mistake of setting a few wrenches in the sun while you work. Car engines hate sitting in traffic when it is that hot as the asphalt can be 160 plus.

It was 107 two days ago, hottest yet this year for Tucson, but humidity was 8-10%. Monsoon will be raining on us soon. S. Az has gotten several storms already.

for whatever reason it was 109 at Safford on the same day. I thought Safford would have been cooler
Posted By: Sycamore Re: But it's a dry heat... - 07/13/19
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Originally Posted by g5m
114 yesterday.

yesterday afternoon, dogs were ansy, so we sat in the back yard for a while under the shading influence of a tree we planted in the yard.
four dogs, two pigmy goats, wife and myself sharing the shade. The dogs went back in the house as fast as they could.
i can remember being in the desert one day at over 120 degrees.
With zero humidity i can handle it, but it is true you can get into trouble quick. It's said if you are not drinking enough water to pee regularly, you are in trouble.
few years ago i rode my gold wing from prescott south to phoenix in july. by the edge of phoenix i was getting dizzy and heat exhaustion. Had to stop and drink couple bottles of water and pour some over my head.
I got to when i was making that trip i would use a garden hose to soak myself, by the time i got to phoenix, perfectly dry.
I told my wife yesterday i am an old man now and i don't have to put up with that heat. inside under the ac until the weather breaks. The monsoons are close tho, lots of heavy clouds over northwest phx, and humidity is up. I can't stand humidity, dry heat is easier to deal with for me.
relative is relocating to florida in a month or two. We were talking about it yesterday. The bugs, humidity, hurricanes are going to be an eye opener for a kid raised in phoenix.

Ron

I think you are right about age making it harder to heat regulate. Straight water can get you in trouble too, if you lose too much sodium. those old carpenters used to drink plenty of water, but take salt tablets too.

Not sure how happy the heart docs would be about that now days.

I used to like the swamp cooler, kept the house cool, and raised the humidity.

No good after monsoons start, just won't cool when the outside humidity goes up.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: But it's a dry heat... - 07/13/19
Currently....

94 F
Feels like 106°

She's a little sticky for northeast MT.

Outside all day(until now) and drank a chit load of water. Maybe 2 piss breaks....

Home A/C has been running non stop for the last 1/2 hour. It's running way more than it does when we get that 105-110F dry heat stuff.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: But it's a dry heat... - 07/13/19

Big T/storm just went over.......temp dropped 14*

Air coming down the canyon from the 11K' ridge with snow drifts still
Posted By: SamOlson Re: But it's a dry heat... - 07/13/19
We've got a band of storms coming and it's 30 degrees cooler behind 'em. Of course the storms are a couple hours out so the poor A/C unit is gonna have to keep working.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: But it's a dry heat... - 07/14/19
58°F here.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: But it's a dry heat... - 07/14/19
GFY^^^
Posted By: boatammo Re: But it's a dry heat... - 07/14/19
Down to 89 here right now, topped out at 93.
Wife and I shot p-dogs this morning quit at 1:00
Their talking about thunder storms during the night.
How is the hay up there Sam? It's high and green here. Brother in law has a good crop coming, below me in the river bottom. The flood this spring didn't hurt a thing.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: But it's a dry heat... - 07/14/19
Brad, good to hear from you.

Hay is great but we haven't cut any yet!

Been way too many storms lately.

Crazy weather.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: But it's a dry heat... - 07/14/19
Temperature is relative depending on where you've lived over the years.

This was taken sometime in 2005 or so at a facility I lived/worked at. Not even the hottest day we saw while there for five years. Ranger station down the road had an official reporting station, one day the ranger told me it was hovering between 126-128F. An "average" July day there according to official records is 108F. Just an average day. Came out of the house one morning, 2 or 3 AM, still 113F. I knew we were in for a bad one that day. Someone mentioned tools left in the sun. Don't do it there. Gloves are the uniform of the day when around metal. Hot pavement? Dude from a NV agency took the pavement temp with a laser thermometer at his facility near Lake Mead. 170F+.

[Linked Image]

It got so hot there the heat from the black dock bumper on an old truck we used to have distorted the taillight lenses.

We've lived with cold too, -11F at 7k' in AZ, a winter in Juneau (the warm part of AK), and here where we retired. First winter we moved in, outside temp on the bottom:

[Linked Image]

Now that I'm "old" I'd prefer not seeing either of those temps again, but I'll likely see the colder one a few more times unless my wife hits the Power Ball and we relocate to Hawai'i!

90F+/- here today, 185 now up from 13% humidity at 2 pm, 28 MPH gusts from the West = Fire Weather here. It's not "that" hot for me yet, but my wife who grew up on the coast isn't fond of these temps even. I put the window A/C in the master bdrm today, for her so she can sleep better. Me, I'd just use a fan.

I will admit, the few times I've lived back east I hated the humidity in the summer, until we had an afternoon shower that would break the heat. For a few hours at least. At least here I can wet a bandana and cool the blood vessels in my neck. Not gonna happen when the humidity is too high.

Y'all enjoy your weather while you're around to enjoy anything. It's all relative anyway. wink

Geno
Posted By: Valsdad Re: But it's a dry heat... - 07/14/19
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Brad, good to hear from you.

Hay is great but we haven't cut any yet!

Been way too many storms lately.

Crazy weather.

Jeez Sam,

even here they've got the first one baled and stacked out of the fields mostly. Some of the alfalfa is up to a foot tall for the second cut already. Hope you get a break in the weather and can get some stuff cut soon.

Geno
It ain't the humidity, but the dew point that bothers me. Dew points below 60 generally feel pretty good. 60-70 it starts to feel a bit humid. 70+ and it's downright tropical. My Viking blood can't handle the warmer temps much anymore. 90* temps with dew points north of 65 and I'm inside. A/C is a life saver.
Rained this morning, then 85, cranked up the ac. Should be 55 tonight though. Wet year in MT so far, haven’t watered my lawn once so far.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: But it's a dry heat... - 07/14/19
TomTom?
Posted By: stomatador Re: But it's a dry heat... - 07/14/19
Rocky, my youngest lives down your way and she texted me a bit ago to show me they're cooler than we are. I guess a storm rolled over and they dropped to 61F.

We're up to 35% humidity today and it feels like a swamp, I guess somewhere along the line I became a lizard.
You sure do. Sweat is still pouring out, but it evaporates instantly. Because you don't realize you're sweating, you forget to drink water. By the time you feel thirsty, you're way behind on hydration.

Not true.

The message of over-hydration is bull chit. Drink when you are thirsty. Don't think about it otherwise
Posted By: 45_100 Re: But it's a dry heat... - 07/14/19
Our high temperatures have been running just under 100 for the past several weeks. A few days just over 100. Usually about 105 this time of year until it starts raining. Rained this afternoon and dropped from 97 to 62. Very pleasant evening.
Posted By: LouisB Re: But it's a dry heat... - 07/14/19
July and August in Tennessee is "Stew in your own juices" according to my wife.
Course she seldom ventures out.
Was hot/humid enough mowing today I can assure you!

Sure am looking forward to NM/CO in September!
Posted By: MadMooner Re: But it's a dry heat... - 07/14/19
Got all the way up to 77 today. Nice little breeze to boot.

Should cool off to about 57 tonight.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: But it's a dry heat... - 07/14/19
My desert experiences were as a truck driver.
That big windshield would let the sun in.
You would be warm waist up in front,
Ass and back soaking wet,
Legs and knees cold from the maxed ac.

And drinking water like a fish, even you were just riding and gliding.
The air flat dried you out.

Then, in the high desert, it got dark and you needed a jacket.

Weird stuff to an Appalachian boy.
Posted By: EdM Re: But it's a dry heat... - 07/14/19
I tried an Idaho spun vodka in a martini tonight (and I am a firm gin martini guy) and it was excellent. I hit a car show today in Spokane and saw the low 80's and arrived at the cabin in the afternoon and saw 75. Windows are open and all is good as I type at 62.
Posted By: Pugs Re: But it's a dry heat... - 07/14/19
Friday four of us flew down to Tangier Island VA for an overnight trip and Roof and I were putting the plane back in the hangar upon return yesterday. 90 degrees, 75% humidity.

The guy getting the plane ready in the hangar next to us is in from Utah (Mil in for a TDY) and said "I'm loving this humidity". We both thought reporting an insane pilot might be in the public interest but held off. eek grin
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: But it's a dry heat... - 07/14/19
At the same time, Claudia and I were in Maine. Just before a front came through, it was extremely sticky and near 90°. THESE Utahns were definitely not pleased with the humidity. In fact, it was the first time in decades that taking a shower was a twice daily chore.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: But it's a dry heat... - 07/14/19
For the last week here humidity has been low 90s in the mornings dropping to 60% in the afternoons. Temps 70s in morning to mid 90s in the afternoons. It will definitely make you sweat and it doesn't dry and cool you. Low humidity is a blessing.
Posted By: EdM Re: But it's a dry heat... - 07/14/19
Today.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: g5m Re: But it's a dry heat... - 07/14/19
A doctor friend who is a big golfer told me about the golf courses in April when it's warming up and dry and the winter visitors are enjoying it and 'hydrating' with beer and then playing golf and dropping like flies from dehydration. There are a lot of people you can tell, but you can't tell them much.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: But it's a dry heat... - 07/14/19

only thing that gets me through late July & August in my parts.......

monsoonal rain systems move north from Mexico & AZ....

Right over Utah......afternoon T/storms cool it off nicely

but of course dry lightning strikes & erratic winds don't help keep fires down
Posted By: Redneck Re: But it's a dry heat... - 07/15/19
Grrrrrr.

Gonna be near 98F + over 75% humidity = heat index near 103+... Can't wait... mad I don't mind heat, but that damned humidity makes anything miserable..
© 24hourcampfire