Home
Posted By: ironbender Need An Auto Adhesive - 07/18/19
Managed to pull the tailgate cap? OFF MY truck. That broke about all the plastic clips that hold it. Want to just glue it on.

This piece:
[Linked Image]

Dont want to order the adhesive, or vet a new cover.

Prefer getting the adhesive at Wal-Mart, HomeyD, or NAPA.
Thanks.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Need An Auto Adhesive - 07/18/19

Use some windscreen adhesive, it will stick to just about anything.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Need An Auto Adhesive - 07/18/19
RTV silicone, clear is good enough and cheap. At any of the stores you mentioned.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Need An Auto Adhesive - 07/18/19
JB Weld.
Posted By: MO2AZ Re: Need An Auto Adhesive - 07/18/19
Hey IB-
I use a 3M product, "Plastic and Emblem Adhesive", product #08061.
Get it at O'Reilly's auto parts.
I have used it to reattach moldings and such to vehicles and trailers. Seems to work well. Smells like airplane glue.

Joe
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Need An Auto Adhesive - 07/18/19
A tube of polyurethane calk from Home Depot will hold it down very well. That's tough stuff. I've used cases of it on metal flashing on roofs.
Posted By: keith_dunlap Re: Need An Auto Adhesive - 07/18/19
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Henry-10-1-oz-212-Clear-All-Purpose-Patch-HE212202/202091011
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Need An Auto Adhesive - 07/18/19
Many moldings are held on with 3m double sided tape. OReillys or amazon.
Not automotive, but it's the toughest stuff around- - - - - -"Marine-Tex". Use the type that stays slightly flexible, not the kind that hardens like Bondo. It's used for all sorts of sealing and adhesive jobs on boats, and it resists extremes of moisture, temperature, and stress.
Jerry
Posted By: WyoCowboy Re: Need An Auto Adhesive - 07/18/19
Throught the roof

I used this junk to glue my mirror on in the dead of winter and it still holding, rather amazing stuff
Posted By: Raeford Re: Need An Auto Adhesive - 07/18/19
Originally Posted by WyoCowboy
Throught the roof

I used this junk to glue my mirror on in the dead of winter and it still holding, rather amazing stuff

Good stuff^^^^
that or the always Handy Man In A can......
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Need An Auto Adhesive - 07/18/19
Originally Posted by Cheesy

Yes , that is what I would use without question
Posted By: ERK Re: Need An Auto Adhesive - 07/18/19
Silicone will work well for that. Ed k
Posted By: stantdm Re: Need An Auto Adhesive - 07/18/19
Originally Posted by Cheesy

I use it for sticking trim back on the body and did use it to hold down my tail gate cap when I had to buy a new tailgate.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Need An Auto Adhesive - 07/18/19
Available in different widths. Clean paint then wipe with rubbing alcohol to remove any residues before applying.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Super-Strength-Molding-Tape/?N=5002385+3293241071&rt=rud

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Need An Auto Adhesive - 07/18/19
5200.................... hint

It will never come off.................. hint
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Not automotive, but it's the toughest stuff around- - - - - -"Marine-Tex". Use the type that stays slightly flexible, not the kind that hardens like Bondo. It's used for all sorts of sealing and adhesive jobs on boats, and it resists extremes of moisture, temperature, and stress.
Jerry

I use it for outfitting kayaks for fishing. Good stuff.

But likely I'd just to a local part store and get the 3M adhesive.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Need An Auto Adhesive - 07/18/19
The top of this tailgate has a few, what we'll call imperfections. Probably why a tarp full of rotted roofing and Shingles waz able to tear it off.
It doesn't son d like I need a specialty product.
I'll look when I'm out for some of the tube products. Thinking something with more body than tape to fill in.

Thanks.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Need An Auto Adhesive - 07/18/19
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
5200.................... hint

It will never come off.................. hint

I've used that where I need waterproof and not replaced every couple years. This does not need a seal, per se.
Lord adhesive.
Mine fell off my f150 a couple of years ago. Replacement at the dealership was almost $100, left it off doesn't bother me.
Posted By: sse Re: Need An Auto Adhesive - 07/18/19
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Need An Auto Adhesive - 07/18/19
3M 4200.
Posted By: Lennie Re: Need An Auto Adhesive - 07/18/19
I did the same thing and used a silicone adhesive from home depot to put cap back on. It worked and has held up well
Posted By: 700LH Re: Need An Auto Adhesive - 07/18/19
Throught the roof

Rearview mirror in the windshield?
I bought what was said to be the best online, followed instructions carefully and it still fell off again in about 6 months
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Need An Auto Adhesive - 07/18/19
A screw at each end will prevent the ends from coming loose which will then loosen all the way across.
Posted By: WyoCowboy Re: Need An Auto Adhesive - 07/18/19
Originally Posted by 700LH
Throught the roof

Rearview mirror in the windshield?
I bought what was said to be the best online, followed instructions carefully and it still fell off again in about 6 months

no the side mirror on the door, slid the truck into a fence post, and ripped it off, the windshield mirror points at the back seat to check on kids, always have a bed of stuff or a trailer so that mirror does not get used for it's intended purpose
© 24hourcampfire