Home
Posted By: Pugs Top Gun Trailer - 07/18/19
I had already been accepted to AOCS when it came out and I had already read Flight of the Intruder and knew I wanted to fly Attack and not fighters but it was truly an epic movie when it came to great flying scenes.

With USN cooperation it looks like the sequel is using real jets and minimal CGI so it may be another film worth seeing on the big screen next year. If nothing else it will be something else to endlessly mock. grin

The three Hornets coming across the lake at the end sure looks like Bumping Lake on the VR-1355 in the Cascades I flew many times.

Posted By: AH64guy Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/18/19
We had Firebirds - couldn't get much more material to mock than that...
Posted By: Pugs Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/18/19
Originally Posted by AH64guy

You clearly didn't see Flight of the Intruder. grin Such a great book, such an awful movie (other than the flying scenes).

They went to great lengths to get that right and were filing it when I got to NAS Whidbey with a bunch of Intruders painted in VN era paint schemes and TRAM turrets removed and just paired with a crappy script.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/18/19
Took three different girls to see Top Gun the month it came out. Major rack time with all of them afterwards.

Thanks Maverick.
The movie "flubs" are easier to spot when you've been down the same path - the acting sucks, and the uniforms are wrong, and the aircraft could never do what is shown.

But, the movie crowd around us cheers, and they go home feeling safe - we go home wondering who the technical adviser was that came up with that scene sequence...

Posted By: deflave Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/18/19
I made it very clear to my wife that I will be seeing this film opening day, without a shirt, while wearing my dog tags.

And nobody can stop me.
Originally Posted by deflave
I made it very clear to my wife that I will be seeing this film opening day, without a shirt, while wearing my dog tags.

And nobody can stop me.

Pictures, or it didn't happen...well, wait a minute...

sick

Posted By: kid0917 Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/18/19
got no use for Tom Cruise, even less for Hollywood in the last 20 years
The movie "flubs" are easier to spot when you've been down the same path - the acting sucks, and the uniforms are wrong, and the aircraft could never do what is shown.

But, the movie crowd around us cheers, and they go home feeling safe - we go home wondering who the technical adviser was that came up with that scene sequence...

Their getting everything wrong is what allows an E-3 on liberty to claim he flies F-14's.

Leave it alone please.

Their getting everything wrong is what allows an E-3 on liberty to claim he flies F-14's.

Leave it alone please.

Shhh...I'm not the statute of limitations has run out on that event...
Originally Posted by kid0917

[Linked Image]

Leave it alone please.

Shhh...I'm not the statute of limitations has run out on that event...

60% of the time, it works. Every time.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/18/19
And nobody can stop me.

Damn my Cowper's glans just involuntarily spasmed.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/18/19
I need to hear Kenny Loggins singing "Danger Zone"...
Originally Posted by FatCity67
And nobody can stop me.

Damn my Cowper's glans just involuntarily spasmed.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
I need to hear Kenny Loggins singing "Danger Zone"...

I listen to that every morning on my way to the gym.
Posted By: Remsen Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/18/19
I am not much of a going to the theater type of guy, but I may go to this one just to find out why there was an F-14 in the final scene of that trailer. I'm hoping it means we get to see Iranians blowed up this time.
Top Gun is the only move that made me kinda want to bang dudes.

Besides 300.

And nobody can stop me.

Beach volleyball game afterwards? grin sick
Posted By: joken2 Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/18/19

Military itself doesn't seem to have much problem with overly glorified inaccuracies, either.
Originally Posted by Pugs

And nobody can stop me.

Beach volleyball game afterwards? grin sick

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by joken2

Military itself doesn't seem to have much problem with overly glorified inaccuracies, either.

When Navy recruiters need bodies, they like to bait with a little ass fugking.
Posted By: Mac84 Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/18/19

And nobody can stop me.

With your aviators too of course
Posted By: Mac84 Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/18/19
I’ll see this one as soon as it comes out
Posted By: WeimsnKs Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/18/19

It’s a movie.
Posted By: JPro Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/18/19
I remember all the other kids in school with their bomber jackets when the original movie came out. I think my dad took up to see it twice. The catch phrases, overacting, and fake-tech were what gave it charm and turned it into a classic. Was "wingman" even a bar term before 1986?
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/18/19
Originally Posted by JPro
Was "wingman" even a bar term before 1986?

Dunno about bars but it was common vernacular in my crowd, even though none of us had "wings" in a manner of speaking. "Rotorman" just wasn't a catchy phrase.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/18/19
I'll be seeing it. Even though Tom Cruise is a homo. I'll be seeing it.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/18/19

And nobody can stop me.

And a volleyball?
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/18/19
Top Gun is the only move that made me kinda want to bang dudes.

Besides 300.

Serious TMI, Capt. Cowper.
Sure enough "In March, filming was completed at NAS Whidbey Island in Oak Harbor, Washington. "

So the low level footage through the Cascades is the VR-1355. Truly the best Low level training route in the lower 48 and this will be filmed better than anyone ever did it with a handheld. I see these days it's 500' AGL route. Back in mine it was a 200' AGL bottom structure.

Posted By: kwg020 Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/18/19

I Remember that movie. What a stinker.

kwg
Posted By: CharlieFoxtrot Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/18/19
Yep, I'm thinking IMAX for this one.

I saw it with a young lass right after an airshow featuring a Tomcat and the Blue Angels. FC, sack time is spot on. Even Birdwatcher (with all due respect) in his biking outfit woulda got laid.
Posted By: CharlieFoxtrot Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/18/19

And nobody can stop me.

That's some serious manlove. You are clearly more than just a fan.

Be sure to ice your nipples.
Posted By: kingston Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/18/19
Originally Posted by joken2

When Navy recruiters need bodies, they like to bait with a little ass fugking.

Sounds like Catholicism.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/18/19
Laffin' here.... laugh
Posted By: IntruderBN Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/19/19
VR-1355! Truly the best legal low level route in the world.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/19/19

And nobody can stop me.
laugh

I'll see it when it comes out on DVD... I don't go to no steeeenking theater...
Posted By: KFWA Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/19/19
looking forward to this one

also, they showed previews to Midway when I took the kids to see Spiderman. It looks amazing. That is one I'll be seeing in the theater

probably already been posted but here is the trailer if you haven't seen it

I loved the original movie as a kid.
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/19/19

You clearly didn't see Flight of the Intruder. grin Such a great book, such an awful movie (other than the flying scenes).

They went to great lengths to get that right and were filing it when I got to NAS Whidbey with a bunch of Intruders painted in VN era paint schemes and TRAM turrets removed and just paired with a crappy script.

Buddy of mine, Brad Johnson, was in the movie. Hell of a nice guy. Builds/restores old Winchesters and used to guide elk hunts. Also in Left Behind, Crossfire Trail.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/19/19
Originally Posted by IntruderBN
VR-1355! Truly the best legal low level route in the world.

Operative word, "legal" smile

Well, after that video, I am now appropriately depressed! smile

Edited to add, I forced myself to watch the trailer. I quit counting mistakes and bullshit after the first minute (like for example, saluting the catapult officer THEN going to MRT/Burner. That there will get not only you fired, but the cat officer and Air Boss. But I kept watching..until I saw the first bleeder with a helmet on. Oh did I mention his helmet was illegal too?
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/19/19
From the trailer, I see Jennifer Connelly is in it.

I'd love to meat her! grin
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/19/19
Had a ring side seat to many flights of the Intruders. Never saw another aircraft in action that was so perfectly precise in putting the bombs where they needed to go. My favorite starch winged aircraft.
Posted By: deflave Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/19/19
Sure enough "In March, filming was completed at NAS Whidbey Island in Oak Harbor, Washington. "

So the low level footage through the Cascades is the VR-1355. Truly the best Low level training route in the lower 48 and this will be filmed better than anyone ever did it with a handheld. I see these days it's 500' AGL route. Back in mine it was a 200' AGL bottom structure.

Can you please not use acronym's?

Some of us would like to know WTF it is that you're saying.
Originally Posted by Mac84

With your aviators too of course

A given.
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Edited to add, I forced myself to watch the trailer. I quit counting mistakes and bullshit after the first minute (like for example, saluting the catapult officer THEN going to MRT/Burner. That there will get not only you fired, but the cat officer and Air Boss. But I kept watching..until I saw the first bleeder with a helmet on. Oh did I mention his helmet was illegal too?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Lorin Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/19/19
Naval air station. Above ground level
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/19/19
I will skip it, since I just hate reruns, re makes, sequels, prequels and such. I just pray Kelly McGillis won't be there wearing a bikini in this rehash.
Originally Posted by jorgeI

[Linked Image]

That helmet decor was legal in 86. After 87 they have to be at least 80% white reflective tape...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/19/19

It’s all fun and entrainment until you see the woman in a flight helmet. Nothing ruins a good movie like putting a leading lady in to make a bad story worse.

What seems to get past the average movie goer is that “Iceman” in the original “Top Gun” was the pilot you want to fly for you. They vilify him to make the show off look superior. 30 years later Maverick is still a captain flying fighter jets? I don’t think the Navy will keep a pilot that long that has been passed up for promotion that many times...
Originally Posted by shrapnel

It’s all fun and entrainment until you see the woman in a flight helmet. Nothing ruins a good movie like putting a leading lady in to make a bad story worse.

What seems to get past the average movie goer is that “Iceman” in the original “Top Gun” was the pilot you want to fly for you. They vilify him to make the show off look superior. 30 years later Maverick is still a captain flying fighter jets? I don’t think the Navy will keep a pilot that long that has been passed up for promotion that many times...

Can you and jorge please stop shooting your pre-64 Model 70's into my happiness?
Posted By: smokepole Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/19/19
So you'd rather see a film about an admiral who doesn't fly jets any more?
Originally Posted by smokepole

You might want to hit that button on your life alert, I think you have fallen and can’t get up...
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/19/19
Originally Posted by KFWA
looking forward to this one

also, they showed previews to Midway when I took the kids to see Spiderman. It looks amazing. That is one I'll be seeing in the theater

probably already been posted but here is the trailer if you haven't seen it

I loved the original movie as a kid.

This one I will go see.
Posted By: shootbrownelk Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/19/19
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I will skip it, since I just hate reruns, re makes, sequels, prequels and such. I just pray Kelly McGillis won't be there wearing a bikini in this rehash.

Cruise has certainly aged a lot better than Kelly McGillis. Have you seen a recent photo of her? WTF?

You might want to hit that button on your life alert, I think you have fallen and can’t get up...

Why would you say that, pray tell? And wtf is a "life alert?"

PS, I'll be backpacking on the mountains next weekend, getting ready for elk season. If you want to come along let me know. Don't worry, I'll put your heavy stuff in my pack.

As an 0-6 the max you can stay in are thirty years of commissioned service. Many Captains fly, Wing Commanders, Chiefs of Staff etc., but after thirty, you are forced to retire.. I refuse to see the movie for the very reasons you mentioned, so I can't attest as to what billet "Maverick" was assigned to as an 06 (unless he was a carrier CO, Wing Commander or Chief Of Staff of an afloat Admiral's staff) that would allow him to still fly...

PS, I'll be backpacking on the mountains next weekend, getting ready for elk season. If you want to come along let me know. Don't worry, I'll put your heavy stuff in my pack.

Good for you, I wish you the best of luck, but you won’t live long enough to kill as many elk as I have...
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/19/19
when top gun first came out, i took my no one grandson, as a rather small boy, to see it. He was pretty much hooked.
Today, he is a major in the air force flying go fast jets. I think that movie was instrumental in his career path.
he has several advanced aerospace engineering degrees and does some interesting stuff.
The only problem i found with the original movie is to find that maverick's girl friend was gay.
Posted By: Alamosa Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/19/19

Good for you, I wish you the best of luck, but you won’t live long enough to kill as many elk as I have...

Possible, but if you tried to hunt like smokepole does you wouldn't kill any. You would be too busy begging to be rescued.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/19/19
Originally Posted by Alamosa
Possible, but if you tried to hunt like smokepole does you wouldn't kill any. You would be too busy begging to be rescued.

laugh

Smokepole's alright in my book.

We've not always seen eye to eye, but I respect his opinions.

He does get out down and dirty while hunting. I'm sure I couldn't keep up.
Posted By: callnum Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/19/19

Elk killed on private property, loaded whole, or loaded by a tractor don't count. We generally save them for women and children.
Posted By: Beoceorl Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/19/19
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
when top gun first came out, i took my no one grandson, as a rather small boy, to see it. He was pretty much hooked.
Today, he is a major in the air force flying go fast jets. I think that movie was instrumental in his career path.
he has several advanced aerospace engineering degrees and does some interesting stuff.
The only problem i found with the original movie is to find that maverick's girl friend was gay.

Her decision to turn gay could be considered an act of mercy to the heterosexual male population.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Daveinjax Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/19/19
Originally Posted by Beoceorl

Her decision to turn gay could be considered an act of mercy to the heterosexual male population.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Wow ! That beast didn’t age well !
Posted By: ironbender Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/19/19
Dood!
Posted By: Stormin_Norman Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/19/19
I just threw up in my mouth a little .
Good God, looks like someone hacked her faceapp account.
Posted By: 79S Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/19/19

I'm going to have to call HQ SLC tell them we have a rogue in Montana...
Posted By: 79S Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/19/19

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Deflave bang on her.. with a smile

Sorry, I forgot that it was all about you and your role as a self-proclaimed "campfire celebrity."

I'll try to do better next time.
Posted By: tzone Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/19/19
Originally Posted by Redneck

I'll see it when it comes out on DVD... I don't go to no steeeenking theater...

Shocker. grin

I highly doubt it will be in DVD form.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/19/19
Originally Posted by kid0917

You're not alone in that. Wife and I don't spend a dime on Hollweird anything. They've always been a bunch of commie Bolsheviks, but they are taking things way over the line and have become far too anti-American.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/19/19

Sorry, I forgot that it was all about you and your role as a self-proclaimed "campfire celebrity."

I'll try to do better next time.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mitchellmountain Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/19/19
Can’t believe they are including female fighter pilots, really breaking new barriers with female empowerment in movies.

I’d write more on the subject but my horse just died, really ticks me off, think I’ll go beat him.
Posted By: tzone Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/19/19
Originally Posted by Daveinjax

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You'd still hit it just because.
We get to watch them train out here in central NV.

Years ago they pissed off all us local bird hunters when they blew up a small pond and a cabin near, but outside of, their playground. They did it to "move" us back away from Their space. A lot of food and beer got spit into for several months at local establishments.

Still, I love the sound of freedom overhead.
Originally Posted by luv2safari

Years ago they pissed off all us local bird hunters when they blew up a small pond and a cabin near, but outside of, their playground. They did it to "move" us back away from Their space. A lot of food and beer got spit into for several months at local establishments.

Fallon?
Posted By: slumlord Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/19/19
is this one going to have Lou Gossett Jr in it?
Originally Posted by IntruderBN
Originally Posted by luv2safari

Fallon?

yep
Posted By: slumlord Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/19/19
Originally Posted by tzone

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Holy crap..."take my breath away"

🙉🙀💩
Posted By: hookeye Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/19/19
Hated the original, won't see the remake.
Posted By: RJL53 Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/19/19

Originally Posted by slumlord

Don't think so, and I'm guessing Kelly McGillis isn't going to be in it either.
Posted By: Ralphie Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/19/19
Could have done without the volleyball scene in the first one but it was a good movie.

The family is excited to see this one.

To the grumps, go see it, enjoy it, it’s just a movie, not a training video. grin

No more pics of Kelly. sick
Posted By: Old_Tucson Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/20/19
The only thing I can add is if God made a place prettier than Whidbey Island he must have kept it for Himself.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/20/19

He wasn’t in the original. Your thinking of “An Officer And A Gentlemen”

Besides, he’s 83 now. Older than dirt 😜
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/20/19
Our airwing (Airwing One), on USS America were conducting FON (freedom of navigation) ops off of Libya and gave Mohammar an early morning wake-up at about the time the original Top Gun came out. One of our squadron (VF-33) wives somehow got a counterfeit tape and sent it to us. After we watched it, it was then given to the ship’s TV station where it was put out on USS America’s TV system. It was a huge hit except with the A-6 squadron since they had been the ones to actually drop the bombs on Mohammar’s facilities but the movie, of course, focused on fighter squadrons and the Tomcat. 😀

Some of the flying scenes in the original do a good job of showing the maneuverability of the Tomcat but as far as I’m concerned, the best part of the original and the only part worth watching, is the opening segment with all the flight deck scenes. Watching that part alone and hearing the whine of the TF-30 engines is enough to give me goosebumps ‘cause I’ve seen all of that hundreds of times. Brings back lots of memories.... most good, some not so good.

My wife and I will probably go see it and I’ll have to do my best to refrain from saying, “that’s B*** S*** “.

My wife took my daughter (9) and son (5) to see the original and in one scene with the XO “Jester” he had a VF-33 patch on his flight suit. When my son saw the VF-33 patch he jumped up in the theater and yelled, “THAT’s MY DADDY’s SQUADRON!” 😀 Good kid😊
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/20/19
Originally Posted by RJL53

Haha

Wrong !

She has a cameo role as an aircraft carrier
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/20/19

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Seriously??

WTF.
Posted By: kingston Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/20/19

LMao
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/20/19
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

He wasn’t in the original. Your thinking of “An Officer And A Gentlemen”

Besides, he’s 83 now. Older than dirt 😜

Iron Eagle you mean!!
Posted By: tikka77 Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/20/19
i dont like this, top gun is like an holy grail among movies and this one will definitely not be as good as the first. female james bond and now this. Hollywood is screwed.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/20/19
Originally Posted by tikka77
i dont like this, top gun is like an holy grail among movies and this one will definitely not be as good as the first. female james bond and now this. Hollywood is screwed.

Your thinking of days of thunder.....
Gotta drive thru the smoke...
Originally Posted by local_dirt

And nobody can stop me.

And a volleyball?

Riding a crotch rocket .....
Posted By: CharlieFoxtrot Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/20/19
Originally Posted by tzone

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Holy crap..."take my breath away"

🙉🙀💩

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that she bats from the other side of the plate now.
Posted By: Limapapa Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/20/19
I agree with Nasal Areator that the opening scenes with live footage off the flight deck were the best part of the movie. You really had to suspend disbelief for the rest of it, although it had cute throw-away lines. Watched a Marine F4 burn down Savannah Beach one Saturday in 1969 about 300 AGL and well in excess of the 250kt speed limit, then pull it up in a vertical AB climb rolling wing over wing until he was out of sight. Loudest thing I'd ever heard. As my later Airforce F4 friend said " Those engines could take a barn door supersonic." I imagine the space shuttle is louder, but I havent seen that.
Took three different girls to see Top Gun the month it came out. Major rack time with all of them afterwards.

Thanks Maverick.

Girls with digks probably ......
Posted By: kingston Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/20/19
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

Thanks Maverick.

Girls with digks probably ......

This is becoming a theme.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/20/19
https://www.breitbart.com/entertain...-from-mavericks-jacket-to-appease-china/

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Daveinjax Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/20/19

And in an instant it’s ruined for me.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/20/19
Dont be so fast to condemn. Seems to be a good explanation other than the Obvious Placating of Chinese angle but Ill leave that for others.
Posted By: tikka77 Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/21/19
i also don't think this is a great idea. Top Gun is the holy grail of movies..Now they are gonna screw it up.
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/21/19
If you think Kelly didn't age well, you ought to see Val Kilmer.
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/21/19
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Originally Posted by RJL53

Haha

Wrong !

She has a cameo role as an aircraft carrier

lol, that was mean!
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Top Gun Trailer - 07/22/19
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by local_dirt

And nobody can stop me.

And a volleyball?

Riding a crotch rocket .....

Nowadays, he'd be ridin' one handed... with the other ON his crotch.
© 24hourcampfire