Home
Kid is getting ready to drive back across country to home and Id like to know if there are any recommendations for Auto Maintenance Shops in and around the Twin Cities area that anyone would recommend.

Any info would greatly appreciated.

PM or post here whatever suits your fancy.
May God go with the kid and bless his journey.
Thanks Doc.
May end up at dealership with long phonecall from me if no one has any recommendations.
I’m 4 hours from the cities in Moorhead MN but if he is passing through on 94 Ace Auto in Moorhead is really good.
Thanks. Route will be South and then West through SD to get to the I80.
Good friend FC, I have made the trek through the fair state many times. I've been broke down a few times. Mostly good help along the way.

As with any journey, let us hope no help is needed. However, it is always good to be prepared.
Lived there for 30 years. Left a year ago.
Used Lake South Auto for my mechanic the last 20 years.
It’s a small two man shop in Excelsior, Mn
Thanks gang for all the well wishes and shop info.
Amoco, Centerville Rd & I 35 E, White Bear Lake.

Phone: (651) 429-4259, North Oaks Auto Care Center.

Youve used these folks before? Thanks.

Originally Posted by Seafire

Not from up that way.

Not sure of your post. He’s broken down? Will break down?

Never have used it. But keep a flat hunnerd in the wallet.
What kind of car?
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Not from up that way.

Not sure of your post. He’s broken down? Will break down?

Never have used it. But keep a flat hunnerd in the wallet.

No, getting ready to move back for a new job in a little over a month. Wants to get all next mileage services done, belts changed etc... before heading out on the road.

Originally Posted by walt501
What kind of car?

2007 Jeep Patriot.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Good friend FC, I have made the trek through the fair state many times. I've been broke down a few times. Mostly good help along the way.

As with any journey, let us hope no help is needed. However, it is always good to be prepared.

Thanks Richard, just being the worry wart Dad that I guess Im supposed to be.
Originally Posted by FatCity67

I 80 is a long way south of the Twin Cities, like 5+ hours at freeway speed south! Where is he going to?
If he's passing through the Twin Cities area (south metro) call Velischek Motors in Prior Lake. They're not the cheapest around, but they do good, honest work and won't sell you what you don't need. They're willing to use salvage parts to keep the bill down if they can get them and think it's right for your needs. We've been using these guys for 25 years.
Thanks J, exactly the type of first hand info I was looking for. Its all standard maintenance like I pointed out above, unless they find something that needs fixing.

Originally Posted by gophergunner
If he's passing through the Twin Cities area (south metro) call in Velischek Motors Prior Lake. They're not the cheapest around, but they do good, honest work and won't sell you what you don't need. They're willing to use salvage parts to keep the bill down if they can get them and think it's right for your needs. We've been using these guys for 25 years.
Originally Posted by MILES58

I 80 is a long way south of the Twin Cities, like 5+ hours at freeway speed south! Where is he going to?

Not headed that far South. Cutting through SD to Mount Rushmore then on to I80.

Not headed that far South. Cutting through SD to Mount Rushmore then on to I80.

That would be I 90. Where is he heading to?
He could/should check with AAA. They have recommendations for best service facilities. There are several clubs around the Twin Cities and outstate that could provide more specific recommendations based on geographic location and feedback from AAA members. I would also suggest your son become a member of some national automobile club so he could receive assist by phone anywhere in the country on route should the need arise.

FWIW I90 goes through SD and north western states. I80 goes through Iowa and Nebraska and mid western states.
this feels like deja vu. didn't we do this not long ago?
Where's your kid at? There are tons...

Don't go to Bobby and Steves.
Originally Posted by northern_dave
this feels like deja vu. didn't we do this not long ago?

I asked a similar question a few month back but it hardly got any responses not sure if thats what your referring to. Much better response this time both in thread and through PM's.

Tzone, check no Bobby and Steves. As stated above in Twin Cities area. Specifically nearer the University of Minn.
FYI got the whole directions thing worked out just looking for the shop info. Thanks guys.
FYI got the whole directions thing worked out just looking for the shop info. Thanks guys.

Is he just driving through Minnesota on I 90 or is he going somewhere in Minnesota? I 90 is two hours driving time south of the twin cities.
Youve used these folks before? Thanks.

Originally Posted by Seafire

Yup... was my principal mechanic shop the entire time I lived there..

found them to be about the most honest folks in the Twin Cities...

Charged for the time the job took, not flat rate..

I've had them work on a job 8 hours and charge me for three, because the owner ( Scott Drake) told me that his boys should have been able to do it in 3 hours....they scrrewed up and had to redo it and he didn't believe the customer had to pay for that time.

Even when I moved 40 miles across town, we still took our vehicles to them when they needed work that was over my head.
© 24hourcampfire