Home
The new mid-engine 2020 Corvette Stingray is here, and.....it.....will.....forever change the performance car landscape! Did I mention UNDER $60K!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I seen that. I am a ford guy, but thats just bad ass ..
That is one fancy Corvair.

Hope GM gets its right this time.
Under 60k is gonna rear up and show it's ugly head in some aspect or the other, we'll see.

if its a hit maybe it will devalue the prices of the mid 2000 ones to where I can snag one
It’ s not just a hit, it’s a grand slam.
I never fit very well in a Corvette.

I doubt that has changed.
This might be a bucket list item.
Originally Posted by KFWA
if its a hit maybe it will devalue the prices of the mid 2000 ones to where I can snag one

I like smart thinkers....very good idea..
What you going to do with it, race to the store and back?

I predict it will be short lived and a great investment for the very long term because the day of the muscle car is gone but not forgotten. If it keeps with Corvette tradition it'll likely get about 10mpg but do it with pizzazz.
Originally Posted by rainshot

I was thinking the same, it's all about performance with nothing else to offer but a "look at me" factor. The investment idea could go south on you.

I liked in the video where they were showing how a golf bag could fit in the trunk...until you stored the removable roof there. I suppose the only time you can run around with out the roof is when you just need to haul your butt.....
You are living in the past on gas milage.

Drive it on the highway at a constant 70 and you can stay in the mid 20's. Punch it around and you will be in the mid teens. 20plus mpg is not hard to arrive at staying at the highway speed limit of 70 here.

2016:

[Linked Image]
but Chevy is sticking with the old pushrod V8. If they really wanted to step up and match the Euro crowd, they would have developed a smaller turbo V8 or V6.
Originally Posted by JeffA

I was thinking the same, it's all about performance with nothing else to offer but a "look at me" factor. The investment idea could go south on you.

I liked in the video where they were showing how a golf bag could fit in the trunk...until you stored the removable roof there. I suppose the only time you can run around with out the roof is when you just need to haul your butt.....

Mid engine design messed up the trunk space. Don't golf, but on the C7 you could easily fit three golf bags and more.
$60k? Is that all? Chump change.
Originally Posted by battue
[quote=JeffA]
Mid engine design messed up the trunk space. Don't golf, but on the C7 you could easily fit three golf bags and more.

I'm sure the chevy mechanics are gonna love servicing that mid-engine too...
What’s up with that steering wheel? Why is Chevy so determined to turn round shapes into squares?
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
but Chevy is sticking with the old pushrod V8. If they really wanted to step up and match the Euro crowd, they would have developed a smaller turbo V8 or V6.

Really???? That old school pushrod at 3.8 to 60 and a 200+mph top speed with run with the euro's all day and for 1/4 the price.

Oil change for a Ferrari:

"A typical oil change on a Ferrari F430 will run you $500, and about $800 for a Ferrari F360 Modena, or $1100 for a Ferrari F355. This typical oil change needs to occur every 5000 miles or once a year, since most owners don't drive their cars 5000 miles a year."

Last one on my Vette was $89.

Yea lets follow the Euro model. Funny that....USA makes a world class sports car at 1/4 to 1/8 the price and as usual you find something to beech about.
Am I the only one, who thinks that is fuggly?

I predict it will be short lived and a great investment for the very long term because the day of the muscle car is gone but not forgotten. If it keeps with Corvette tradition it'll likely get about 10mpg but do it with pizzazz.

I don't think it's any less useful or practical than any other Corvette.
Originally Posted by Whelenman

It’s way better than the c7 which I always thought was ugly

Nope, you are not the only one. I was just waiting for someone else to say it first. It's a fiberglass Corvair. The Corvair was better looking.

Yes, you are !
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

It’s way better than the c7 which I always thought was ugly

I love them both.

Echoing what has been said, looking forward to picking up a used C7 after my truck is paid for.
Very cool.

You must not pay a lot of attention to the car market.
Sounds real good, will need a few years to shakeout the bugs though. I will buy an older one 2 years down the road that has been gently used.

The Body is almost entirely made out of fiberglass and plastic. Of course they will be 1/4 the price of a handmade Italian Sportscar with all the exotic metal. Do you want performance ? Take a look at the Tesla Roadster 0-60 1.9 seconds 250+ MPH top speed 620 mile cruising range. That should frighten the European manufacturers bigly.

I am going to buy one! I figure I can get it about 2029 when they get closer to my budget...
completely bad ass.

I predict it will be short lived and a great investment for the very long term because the day of the muscle car is gone but not forgotten..

Gone but not forgotten?

Take a look around. Your mini van has more HP than your Camaro did. Ford, Chevy, Dodge, and the ricers are all making fast, bad ass cars.

Originally Posted by Jeffrey

Schit a new truck is more than that now.
If I was going after a go fast, high hp machine I'd be getting a Hellcat. Standard 717 hp.
I've had 2 new corvettes 1 used corvette , all black on black color , a young guy can sure get a lot of guys hating him with one .
In a small town like biloxi it seems everybody in the region knows who you are .

2020 model is spectacular especially for the money , you'll see twin turbo builds within days of the first cars sold . There'll be a 1000 wheel horsepower car on the street within a month .

I got that kind of stuff out of my system in my 20' -30's , driving one around when you're old - nah - glad I didn't wait although these newer cars are far cooler than 80's 90' C3 C4 .

Sounds like some here could show a picture of their old maverick or duster that was twice as cool as any corvette . laf .
Originally Posted by 12344mag
If I was going after a go fast, high hp machine I'd be getting a Hellcat. Standard 717 hp.

Put a Hellcat on the track and the big Mustangs, Cameros and Vettes leave it sucking wind.
looks like a pimped out Camaro to me, and I hate the looks of the new Camaros. The Mustangs and Challengers look great, but Chevy screwed the pooch.

i'll bet it's fun to drive though.

Que the "Government Motors Haters Club"........

Put a Hellcat on the track and the big Mustangs, Cameros and Vettes leave it sucking wind.

I walked past a hellcat and wondered what the behemoth weighed - looked it up 4,500+ lbs. - bust out laughing . No wonder they decline invites to track days , hell any manufacture can build a 1/4 mile car it ain't rocket science .
Originally Posted by gregintenn
The Mustangs and Challengers look great, but Chevy screwed the pooch.

Mustangs have long passed their cool new look and morphed into another losing platform based on the old but iconic Mach I. Challenger is stagnated with nothing to offer but the modern version of the 1970 offering and it too is getting old. Corvette has continued to be innovative and I will bet you won't be able to buy a 2020 off any lot, due to the high demand.

At least, none of these were designed in a wind tunnel...

When I was at Barrett Jackson auction in Scottsdale, they had a track where they were taking people for rides in these cars. The only one you couldn't hear squeeling tires on was the Corvette...
Any car that can be had with a 6 cylinder up too whatever - that car is a flop because some girl or dweebderp can say 'hey i've got a car just like yours' .
Beautiful!

Not that it would stop me from buying one, but I can see reaching for the door handle and grabbing a handful of wasp nest! laugh
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Beautiful!

Not that it would stop me from buying one, but I can see reaching for the door handle and grabbing a handful of wasp nest! laugh

Gonna park it in a barn, huh? wink lol
Mid-engine has beauceau handling benefits if done right.

This thing could be a monster.
They just don't have the class as the 67 and older Corvettes!!!

I hope that happens. I'd like to own a Vette for just a little while before I die.
BTW...I STILL hate Government Motors!
It looks like a Camaro with a new front end!
Originally Posted by aalf

Que the "Government Motors Haters Club"........

The rest of their stuff is schit. But I'll take a vette.
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by gregintenn
The Mustangs and Challengers look great, but Chevy screwed the pooch.

Mustangs have long passed their cool new look and morphed into another losing platform based on the old but iconic Mach I. Challenger is stagnated with nothing to offer but the modern version of the 1970 offering and it too is getting old. Corvette has continued to be innovative and I will bet you won't be able to buy a 2020 off any lot, due to the high demand.

At least, none of these were designed in a wind tunnel...

I would agree. The mustangs have jumped ship.
Where do you put the dead deer? How's it do on gravel roads? If I can't USE the thing, it's kinda USELESS to me. It would get hung up just going to the shooting range, which is on a rather poor gravel road thru the woods.

I live two hours up the road from Bowling Green, yet we seldom see a Corvette around here. They aren't practical for most of us.

Starts at under $60,000 with no performance package. How much for that?
Not enough ground clearance, don't look right with mud grips. Don't see a 4WD option...

Oh well.

DF
They just don't have the class as the 67 and older Corvettes!!!

I agree with Whelenman that these are not as classy looking as the mid 60's vette.

My first Corvette was a 1967 performance car. I now have a 2015 with the standard motor. The 2015 looks good but
still not as classy as my first one. However it is just as fast or maybe even quicker as the big block 67 in the quarter mile
and lots more comfortable. On top of that I am averaging almost 25 miles per gallon around town.

You seem to be living in the same year as your post count. The Challenger, Charger and Camaro available at a dealership all day long are the best muscle cars ever built.
People who piss and moan about the new hot rods have obviously never driven one. They ride pretty good and stop well and go around corners well and dollar for dollar kicks ass on all the euro and jap stuff. I bought a 2018 Challenger scat park about 6 months ago. 485 horse and does everything well. It weighs 4240 pounds with gas tank full. Average gas mileage over 7000 miles is 23.2 mpg.
The new Vette is nice. Badass looking. Ed k
Not sure a gun rack would fit in the back window, probably have to mount one on the hood ATV style.

I reckon most folks don't take their car to the track.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Mostly true , but you see the marks on guard rails & concrete barriers in sharp corners - those are hellcat marks . smile

Friend of mine and I would take our corvettes and sportbikes out in the country on curvy roads . We had a system we'd take turns going in front [scout position] look around sharp corners with say 45mph sign , front guy would look around corner - if no cars were coming - left turn signal meant you [back 300 yards give/take] could come around the corner using all of the road . Brake light bumps meant - nope a car is coming .
People would be amazed how well a corvette [in good shape] will go around a corner , trick is to zig-zag warming the tires up then come flying in with the antilock brakes giving the tires all they can take . Now tires are hot - get car in right gear = high rpm gear and go through with it to the floorboard power sliding it through the corner with a bit too much throttle .
We've had a few guys/cars [mustangs/camaros/300zx/etc.] fall in with us trying to keep up we'd disappear from all of them , practice makes perfect .

A good book to read ''Limit Driving'' came with a little G-Force meter , we just devised a system unlike theirs between us where you didn't have to stay in your own lane .
Also we had the coverleaf I-110 - I-10 four 360* turns to head you in any direction . The Loops . Drivers side front tire won't last long there btdt .
A friend wanted to go around the loops with me - he bought my previous car , Went towards the first corner he was started yelling slow this mf'r down hanging on - freaked out so bad I slowed down and let him get his wits about him . Then eased up the speed to just a little fast - he said that was plenty for him take him home .
I had High Risk insurance for years .
That's impressive!
Originally Posted by tzone

Schit a new truck is more than that now.

No thanks.
Originally Posted by RiverRider

I hope that happens. I'd like to own a Vette for just a little while before I die.

Assuming you are talking about a 2005 model. $15k all over the place. If you are talking about a 2010 model-20-30k. For what you get, not a better deal out there if you are looking for a fun and sunmobile.

I had an 82 silver green for 14yrs and loved every minute in it.. If I ever buy again, it will surely be a C7. Horsepower, handling and comfort all build into one. While I can appreciate the rawness of the big block C3's, they pale against the new ones.
Now that I am old and can afford nice transportation, I am thinking about a foxy nurse to push me in a wheelchair.
Useless as tits on a boar hog!!
Looks awesome but way out of my budget.
Corvette: "America's Sports Car"

Someone asked what do you do with it? Well, you can take it shooting....with room left over....

[Linked Image]

Someone mentioned 10mpg? Well, this was combined Turnpike and off turnpike, about 100mile highway, some stop and go stoplight and some gravel road. Which it easily survived....
I guess it should have a Turbo V6 to be more Euro

[Linked Image]

Last 50mile turnpike mpg average, going between 65 and 85mph when traffic opened up.

[Linked Image][

Corvette: "America's Sports Car"

Someone asked what do you do with it? Well, you can take it shooting....with room left over....

[Linked Image]

Someone mentioned 10mpg? Well, this was combined Turnpike and off turnpike, about 100mile highway, some stop and go stoplight and some gravel road. Which it easily survived....
I guess it should have a Turbo V6 to be more Euro

[Linked Image]

Last 50mile turnpike mpg average, going between 65 and 85mph when traffic opened up.

[Linked Image][

High torgue , lightweight , aerodynamic , very tall gearing , and computer optimised makes them a spectacular car . Great everyday driver too .

I went to visit my Grandparents in Englis , FL. years ago - 93 LT1 6spd. , Lived in biloxi then .
On the way home a Hyundai sonata came by hauling butt - woman w/ radar detector , I rolled up to the same speed and stayed back 200 yards 106-107mph .
When she went off the highway I went off the next exit and filled up . In a bit she came by me again and honked - there we go again sometimes 110-115 , my car in 6th gear just hummed along and seemed to love that speed and RPM .
All the way to biloxi she went off the same exit off I-10 where I lived- then down I-110 into biloxi - then headed up Hwy. 90 - she lived two streets past me - Crazy .
My car sipped gas at those speeds guessing at least 20mpg 'generalisation' 4th gear 1 to 1 ratio , 5th gear 1 to .50 , 6th gear 1 to .25 ratio , that's what mine was .
Corvette Quarterly GM magazine , an engineer wrote if my car had an engine that could redline [6000rpm] 6th gear it would be doing 320MPH , although in 6th gear it started lugging the engine around 135-140 mph .Topped out around 168 mph . - Yes I-10 early sundays dyno runs , ZR-1's add 12-15mph on top .
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

However, those that do will kick the Hellcat off the track. Which was the point.
And the sub-3 second 0-60 number is for the base model. Let em get the 600+ HP supercharged one on the showroom floor ala the ZR-1.......... Chit yer pants wicked !!!!

Watched a video probably 6-8 years ago of a front engine, RWD ZR-1 running some European road track behind a $440 K AWD Lamborghini. The video was shot from a helicopter. The $100 K Chevy spent the WHOLE TIME on the brakes.......

Little old Chevy has had the Italians and the Germans at wits' end over bang-for-the-buck for decades, already. This new design is gonna be mind blowing for those willing to embrace it.
The insides have never been their strong point. The Euro’s put them to shame when it comes to upscale Interior quality. The C8 insides seems to be their best so far.

Now thats funny.I am in my 60,s love muscle cars.We own a 2018 dodge challenger SRT that gets around 22 mpg,s on the highway.You are way out of touch with the car world.

whaaaaat? have you been in a showroom lately? or driven around? this is the new era of the muscle car. i like the 60's stuff but those cars are like model T's compared to the new camaros, challengers and vettes.
And the kids are jumping into Honda Civic Type R’s like crazy. The muscle car is far from over the hill.
And the kids are jumping into Honda Civic Type R’s like crazy.

Don't forget the fart cans........
Think I've put this vid here three times ,, can't help myself . smile

Don't post much here anymore, but an American car that has a real push rod V8 that can spank the Euros is amazing. I hope GM never gives up the LS series of engines. If I had the money, all over it. Or the Camaro ZL-1 1LE. Or the SS with the same package. GM sports cars are amazing, whatever your "brand" loyalty. mtmuley
Originally Posted by walt501
The new mid-engine 2020 Corvette Stingray is here, and.....it.....will.....forever change the performance car landscape! Did I mention UNDER $60K!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
........................Only time will tell if this thing becomes a hit!!

I wonder if Chevy will still offer RWD Vettes. Not everyone is a mid engine fan.....
Originally Posted by Gibby
That is one fancy Corvair.

Hope GM gets its right this time.

GM has been getting it right with the Corvette for a while. I think they will be a huge hit in this booming economy, but still too much money for me.
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Originally Posted by walt501

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
........................Only time will tell if this thing becomes a hit!!

I wonder if Chevy will still offer RWD Vettes. Not everyone is a mid engine fan.....

Nope but an all-wheel drive will be right around the corner . Several years ago a top design engineer said there would be a mid-engine C7 and an all-wheel drive option , he lied .
I remember all of the prototype mid- engine cars dating WAY BACK , by the late 80's I'd have bet the barn the Corvette would be a mid-engine car before year 2000 .

Thinking a tune-up & water pump maintanance etc. etc.will be lift it up drop the engine/transaxle- do the work hit the up bottom plug drivetrain back in .
The transaxle set-up is why it's as affordable as it is - cheap to built , ever wonder why there're so many front wheel drive cars .[I hate front wheel drive cars .
A good driver in a Hellcat will kick a average drivers ass in a Camaro or Mustang. My Challeger will pull 1 g with me driving it. Ed k
Would still rather have a 63 to 67 Vette... ultimate desire... 67 427 Tri Power..
Originally Posted by ERK
A good driver in a Hellcat will kick a average drivers ass in a Camaro or Mustang. My Challeger will pull 1 g with me driving it. Ed k

???? So you are saying, on the track, let both have a good driver and the Camero or Mustang wins????
Weak praise for the Challenger. It only wins when the other driver isn't up to the car.
Originally Posted by Seafire
Would still rather have a 63 to 67 Vette... ultimate desire... 67 427 Tri Power..

I’ve had or driven pretty much all of them. For some reason the 62 is a favorite. The 69 with a big block and pipes is another. However, for being behind the wheel for hours, they can’t compare to the new ones.

Had a 63, 69, 91, 97, 04, 11 and a 16. They just keep getting better.

Now if I could swing a first class resto mod it would be a 62.
Originally Posted by ERK

The only certainty in this comparison is that the Dodge is inferior in every which way. The name is very intimidating however

I’ve had or driven pretty much all of them. For some reason the 62 is a favorite. The 69 with a big block and pipes is another. However, for being behind the wheel for hours, they can’t compare to the new ones.

Had a 63, 69, 91, 97, 04, 11 and a 16. They just keep getting better.

Now if I could swing a first class resto mod it would be a 62.

I really like the ‘62 as well. The back end is so much sharper than earlier models.

And yes, these are the good ol’ days!
Wait till Hennessy gets ahold of one. mtmuley
Some of you guys need to get behind the wheel of these cars. If you drove them you would see that they are all very good drivers but built for different things. Everyday driver the challenger wins. Race track the mustang or Camaro. I personally will never be on a circuit track so the leg room and backseat and trunk and visibility make the Challenger my pick. If you don’t need their stuff buy one of the others. The Vette is in a league by it self. Just sold mine because my other car suffices. If you think you need more room get the CTS V caddy. 650 horse and runs with all the euro type for way less dollars. Ed k
I have a C5 and I had it at 165. Felt very stable. After 150 acceleration slows down. I had lots of work done to mine but it still only has 350HP. Another 150 HP would be pretty crazy. I used to drive mine all summer but I think I drove it twice this year. Probably time to sell it. I only have 80k miles on it.
Fancy vehicles are a PITA. Always worried about a drop of rain or a bird poopie. Door dings are a sign of the Apocalypse. Forget that, just buy a Rusty one so you aren't waiting around for a painful surprise.
What’s up with that steering wheel? Why is Chevy so determined to turn round shapes into squares?

Watch the video. It is all explained in there about the "square" wheel.
Chevy and Ford and Chrysler, for that matter, need to quit using the metric system on their motor badges. This corvette is a 378 ci engine. A 7.0 liter would be a 427 ci. Go back to the cubic inch designation, and get away from the European/Jap metric system on badging your engines.
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Chevy and Ford and Chrysler, for that matter, need to quit using the metric system on their motor badges. This corvette is a 378 ci engine. A 7.0 liter would be a 427 ci. Go back to the cubic inch designation, and get away from the European/Jap metric system on badging your engines.

Now that’s an idea we can all get behind.
This should really interest some here................

The 2020 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray has a feature that lets you annoy everyone

By Gary Gastelu | Fox News
The 2020 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray will be the first Corvette in decades that’s not available with a manual transmission.
Instead, it will feature a quick-shifting eight-speed dual-clutch automatic like many of the exotic supercars it aims to compete with do.
According to Chevrolet, if you pull both shift paddles behind the squared steering wheel at the same time the clutches disengage “for more manual control.”
Of course at that point, all you have control of is the throttle, so it sounds like the feature is just an easy way to let you rev the 490 hp 6.2-liter V8 and make some noise.

That’s half the fun of owning a Corvette, right?
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

I had a 2009 Z06 corvette, with a 7.0 liter engine. I put 427 emblems on the hood.
Originally Posted by ERK
Some of you guys need to get behind the wheel of these cars. If you drove them you would see that they are all very good drivers but built for different things. Everyday driver the challenger wins. Race track the mustang or Camaro. I personally will never be on a circuit track so the leg room and backseat and trunk and visibility make the Challenger my pick. If you don’t need their stuff buy one of the others. The Vette is in a league by it self. Just sold mine because my other car suffices. If you think you need more room get the CTS V caddy. 650 horse and runs with all the euro type for way less dollars. Ed k
+1 love our 2018 dodge challenger SRT.Being old fuggers test drove the vette,mustang & camaro.Challenger was a better everyday driver and a hell of a lot easier to get in and out of..
It does not have a manual transmission option. Yawn. Three pedals or bust.

Are you buying a car to go fast or are you buying the car to have fun? Because if you were buying a car to go fast, it would not be a mid-engined Corvette. For one thing, it's road legal.

Three pedals or bust!
Originally Posted by coobie
Originally Posted by ERK
+1 love our 2018 dodge challenger SRT.Being old fuggers test drove the vette,mustang & camaro.Challenger was a better everyday driver and a hell of a lot easier to get in and out of..

I’m sure it is a nice car. However, in no way is it a sports car, other than it can go fast.
There is more to a sports car, which is what the thread is about than straight line speed.
Love the look of the new vette. Will allow a year or 2 to get all the bugs worked out before I look. I'm presently building my 15 SS so that will give me some joy til the vette gets a good long shake down
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Goosey
It does not have a manual transmission option. Yawn. Three pedals or bust.

Are you buying a car to go fast or are you buying the car to have fun? Because if you were buying a car to go fast, it would not be a mid-engined Corvette. For one thing, it's road legal.

Three pedals or bust!

Stick to your Prius
went by bowling green today and slowed down to see if they had one parked out front

I didn't see it, but the parking lot was very full.
Manuals are a much more difficult sell these days. The majority opt for the paddle shift. Like or not, there are about 3 generations, the majority of whom, have never used three pedals.
I own two vehicles with paddle shifters. I don't know how to use them.

I know how to drive my old F-150 5 speed, however.
Originally Posted by ERK

We've had them brought into the shop over at the Comm College Automotive program where I am a volunteer...

they are a pain in the As* to get into, and even a bigger pain to try and get out of...

That doesn't impress me very much...
One goes takes you up and the other down. Up is usually on the right.
One goes takes you up and the other down. Up is usually on the right.

so they put one of those lift and lower hydrolic suspensions like Mexicans like to put on 64 Chebbies?

That'll sell them in East LA to all the Drug Dealers... now all you need is one of those chain link steering wheels..
Originally Posted by ERK

We've had them brought into the shop over at the Comm College Automotive program where I am a volunteer...

they are a pain in the As* to get into, and even a bigger pain to try and get out of...

Name me one true sports car you climb up to get into. There is a reason your 4 runner sucks on a road course.

The next post doesn’t warrant a reply. You usually do much better.
Looked online about racing at LeMans [endurance] no mention of camaros/mustang/cuda/challenger , long ago Ford GT40 and modern GT Ford [awesome car] , Corvette wins - hordes of wins over the years .
I remember the showroom stock racing in the late 80's early 90's - Corvette's were kicked out due to no other cars could compete with them . A couple of Porsche 944 turbos did ok but that's about it .
A new series was started corvettes against corvettes , ferrari had plans of going into the series but didn't .
Originally Posted by ERK

Name me one true sports car you climb up to get into. There is a reason your 4 runner sucks on a road course.

The next post doesn’t warrant a reply. You usually do much better.

Don't drive my 4 Runner on a road course or like a Corvette....its a 4 cylinder 22 RE under the hood.

It ain't a Vette, but my Acura RL is a fun car if you want to get out and run it fast on Oregon Mountain Roads...
the paved ones at least...
Avoidance isn’t an answer.

Anyway, family had an Acura Legend that I drove more than a little. Very similar and the precursor to the RL, FWD and all. Really nice car, but like the RL, it most certainly wasn’t close to a Vette. Mainly because it wasn’t a sports car.

Will admit, the Acura RL is an excellent cruiser that most overlook.
The corvette has always been mid engine, mid front. Now it’s mid rear. Cornering should be better but now it’ll spin like a top when you crash.

A sports car. And why paddle shifting has replaced the manual.

Avoidance isn’t an answer.

Anyway, family had an Acura Legend that I drove more than a little. Very similar and the precursor to the RL, FWD and all. Really nice car, but like the RL, it most certainly wasn’t close to a Vette. Mainly because it wasn’t a sports car.

Will admit, the Acura RL is an excellent cruiser that most overlook.

Battue

I'm not a Corvette kinda driver is all... not knocking those that love them...

Wasn't attempting avoid anything...

The RL is more my speed or style tho...mine runs like 300 HP.. is all wheel driver, it has the paddle shifters if you want to run those....I've played with them some but usually just run it in standard automatic mode...

on the Interstate in Mountainous areas like we have out this way... it can be a lot of fun at 100 mph or so...
If I had $60K to throw away, I'd most definitely throw it at this new 'vette.
Originally Posted by coobie
Originally Posted by ERK

I’m sure it is a nice car. However, in no way is it a sports car, other than it can go fast.
There is more to a sports car, which is what the thread is about than straight line speed.

Put it in track mode and then let me know what you think..
Geezus, I am not a chevy fan but have always been a corvette fan. Its a sports car, 2 seats , lowslung,super taut suspension, superior aerodynamics and a powerful engine. Comparing it to "Pony Cars" which the mustang,camaro,challenger are is a joke. Yes they are better everyday drivers but a honda civic trumps them for that purpose.
Manuals are a much more difficult sell these days. The majority opt for the paddle shift. Like or not, there are about 3 generations, the majority of whom, have never used three pedals.

That DCT is going to be faster as well. When it comes to selling sports cars like the new ‘Vette, stats matter. Taking a 0-60 time from 3.whatever to 2.something is huge. Same with the 1/4 mile.
I won't touch a paddle shifter

I'm afraid I'm going to accidentally hit it while driving, look back and see my transmission laying in the road
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Geezus, I am not a chevy fan but have always been a corvette fan. Its a sports car, 2 seats , lowslung,super taut suspension, superior aerodynamics and a powerful engine. Comparing it to "Pony Cars" which the mustang,camaro,challenger are is a joke. Yes they are better everyday drivers but a honda civic trumps them for that purpose.

Carroll Shelby referred to the Cobra [not mustang] , GT-40 and Corvette as ''SPORT CARS'' not ''Sport'S' cars'' , others were sporty but weren't sport cars .

Battue ,
Nurburgring track is badass , ever seen the the Nurburgring van lap the track ? Pretty funny , shows how knowing a track can be a huge benefit .

A sports car. And why paddle shifting has replaced the manual.

That's RIDICULOUS !!!!!!!!!

Too bad Camaros don't handle...………………………...
Yeah, let's just go down to the Chevy dealer & get us a 181 MPH Camaro. WOW!!!!!

I knew the those were badass, but I had no idea. Years ago I could just punch the crap out out of anything & drive the hell out of it. Think 'ya better respect some of the stuff that's made these days, they could get you in trouble real quick.

Originally Posted by gunzo
Yeah, let's just go down to the Chevy dealer & get us a 181 MPH Camaro. WOW!!!!!

I knew the those were badass, but I had no idea. Years ago I could just punch the crap out out of anything & drive the hell out of it. Think 'ya better respect some of the stuff that's made these days, they could get you in trouble real quick.

Just a guess...…...….but I'm betting 181 is NOT where that one stops. A little more (or a lot more) straightaway and......…...….
The c7 ZR1 has 750 horse while the Camaro is only 650. Weights about700 pounds less also. Kinda wonder how much the mid engine hp Vette will get when it debuts. I still think I prefer the current look to the mid engine one. Ed k
That new vette will look awesome going 10 under in the fast lane with a grey haired dude rolling it solo.

Just like every other vette.
Originally Posted by ERK
The c7 ZR1 has 750 horse while the Camaro is only 650. Weights about700 pounds less also. Kinda wonder how much the mid engine hp Vette will get when it debuts. I still think I prefer the current look to the mid engine one. Ed k

The good old days of performance cars are NOW.

Yeah...…...….the 2019 Camaro doesn't have the simplistic brawn of the 1969. But it whoops the AZZ off the '69 on paper in EVERY aspect. Same with the _______________ (fill in the blank........Challenger, Mustang...….)

Back when I was building horsepower with no computer chips, turbos or EFI, it took cubic inches, barely streetable cams and BIG compression to make 600 HP. The very last engine I built was a BBC slightly over 400 CID with 12.5:1 pistons and a BIG, lumpy cam. It made 5 1/2 MPG highway on 115 octane fuel. Cool factor ??? Whips ANYTHING made today. Practcality ?? Drivability ?? Handling through a turn ?? Fuhgitaboutit……… !!!!
Seafire:

Only meant that all real sports cars are low to the ground out of form follows function. Which means you have to more or less fall into them and crawl your way out.

I drove mine to a shoot one day this weekend. It most certainly received more comments than the two days I drove the 4 runner. Most of the time on the highway it was 10-15 over and not 10 under. And for brief moments more. Funny that and I’m 75.

Into the 270’s with a Vette and smoother than the Camaro run. Think it was in track mode?

If have a hard time cramming a deer in that trunk. I'd have to tie to the roof.
Originally Posted by RS308MX
If have a hard time cramming a deer in that trunk. I'd have to tie to the roof.

On the C7 you could get one in the trunk. With the C8 it would require cutting the legs off. Next?

I think that Vette is as ugly as any other Vette. I wouldn't drive one to a dog fight.

All similar sports cars in general are of no interest to me. I don't need the attention and would take a Tacoma any day of the week over one of those.
Did ya date the plain Jane girls or was your blah taste limited to vehicles? Sorry lol. Ed k
Originally Posted by ERK
Did ya date the plain Jane girls or was your blah taste limited to vehicles? Sorry lol. Ed k

I had no problem getting dates. If one needs a car like that to meet girls, they must be lacking somewhere or think they do anyways. smile
Originally Posted by ERK

And furthermore ...... If a girl will only date you based on your ownership of a car like that, she ain't much of a date in the first place. She'll only find someone with a nicer car and a bigger house and move on. I never had much time for "movie stars". smile

Just so you don't think I'm a total dolt, the following 600hp station wagon would be of interest.

my 78 yr old aunt drives a ZO6.
Originally Posted by SuperCub

I think that Vette is as ugly as any other Vette. I wouldn't drive one to a dog fight.

All similar sports cars in general are of no interest to me. I don't need the attention and would take a Tacoma any day of the week over one of those.

If Il'm going to buy a truck it would be a real truck and not a Tonka Toy/Match Box scaled down one. See how that works?

If Il'm going to buy a truck it would be a real truck and not a Tonka Toy/Match Box scaled down one. See how that works?

I get that statement all the time. I don't need to compensate for anything with a bigger truck (or flashy car) but apparently many do.

My scaled down Tonka Toy Truck does everything I need it to do and more. On my second Tacoma now. You wouldn't believe me if I told you what I got for the first 10yr old Tacoma on a trade-in.In 10yrs all I had to do to that truck was replace the front brakes and rear shocks.

OTOH ..... You'd have to pay to have a 10yr old RAM towed away. smile
Interesting thread.
I’m one of those old (68) gray haired but I still have hair, guys that drive a Z06 corvette (2016).
If some guys think I’m compensation for something, or need it to pick up babes, thats fine.
The only babe that’s been in it, and she is a babe, is the one I’ve been married to for 45 years.
I do drive a Silverado for hunting, if that’s ok.
Cheers.
How it works is: Your Tonka Toy trucks works for you and that is what counts. Now for some others, they like sports cars and that works for them.

Then you say you would be interested in a $100,000 plus AMG 63S wagon. Prior to that you said you don't need the attention of a Vette. Well you think a $100,000 Mercedes isn't a status symbol attention grabber? The movie stars would probably show more than a little interest because of it.

It is a Vette thread, and your not being interested in Vettes is duly noted. As is your interest in status symbol Mercedes.

What you traded in a Tacoma for has nothing to do with Vettes or Mercedes, unless you are looking to brag and garner some attention, which you were.

People are most certainly odd..
I get that statement all the time. I don't need to compensate for anything with a bigger truck (or flashy car) but apparently many do.

Your talent for tryin ta get by with less than everbody else probably needs work, seein how you "get that statement all the time".

Maybe you should do somebody a favor, and compensate.
How it works is: Your Tonka Toy trucks works for you and that is what counts. Now for some others, they like sports cars and that works for them.

Then you say you would be interested in a $100,000 plus AMG 63S wagon. Prior to that you said you don't need the attention of a Vette. Well you think a $100,000 Mercedes isn't a status symbol attention grabber? The movie stars would probably show more than a little interest because of it.

It is a Vette thread, and your not being interested in Vettes is duly noted. As is your interest in status symbol Mercedes.

What you traded in a Tacoma for has nothing to do with Vettes or Mercedes, unless you are looking to brag and garner some attention.

People are most certainly odd..

I agree with everything you say, esp the odd people part. smile

The Mercedes logo is one of the biggest status' grabbers out there. My last 2018 Tacoma was purchased used at the local Mercedes dealership. The place was plastered with status logos. I like station wagons but probably would not buy one of those if I could.
Corvettes are something that folks either love or don't have much interest in - there is not a lot of in-between feelings about them.

I bought my first one in 1965 and have owned one most of the time since then, they put a smile on my face when I drive it and I don't have to go a 150 mph to have it happen, it just naturally works for me. I can be having a bad day and rather than being ticked off about something I can go for a spin and forget what was bothering me.

I own four-wheel drive pickups and SUV's but I love my Corvettes(s). I will probably be driving them as long as I can get in and out of one.

drover
Originally Posted by gunzo

I knew the those were badass, but I had no idea. ...

the latest ZL1 (1LE) has clocked 202 mph @ Nurburgring.

ZL1 $64,000, + 1LE package $7500, + 10 speed auto $1600

https://www.motor1.com/news/303208/2019-chevrolet-camaro-zl1-1le/
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

Really???? That old school pushrod at 3.8 to 60 and a 200+mph top speed with run with the euro's all day and for 1/4 the price.

Oil change for a Ferrari:

"A typical oil change on a Ferrari F430 will run you $500, and about $800 for a Ferrari F360 Modena, or $1100 for a Ferrari F355. This typical oil change needs to occur every 5000 miles or once a year, since most owners don't drive their cars 5000 miles a year."

Last one on my Vette was $89.

one round of golf at Shadow Creek is $500 and to open membership at Pebble Beach you need $47,500 [non-refundable] plus $285 per monthly dues.

Folks paying that are not VFD types thus more likely to turn up in high depreciation Ferraris, McClarens and twin turbo GT2 Porkers ..

they might even have a track-dedicated Ferrari , McCalren , Posche hobby car , but have another as a daily driver.

same types that will often spend $500+ to have lunch or dinner for two, following another exhausting frivolous spending spree on designer labels..
all without even blinking. .. grin

Originally Posted by JeffA

I liked in the video where they were showing how a golf bag could fit in the trunk...

Those who can easily afford the Euro supercars don't have to carry their clubs in the trunk or on the course,

their clubs and caddies are ready and waiting for them when they arrive.
I owned a 2001, 2009, 2013 and 2017 Corvette. If the C8 has enough interior room and can be bought at a discounted price might get one in a year or two. There are LARGE Corvette dealers who will offer huge discounts once the newness goes away. For example, my 2017 had a MSRP of $60K and I paid $47K before sales tax. Kept it for less than a year and sold it for more than what I paid for it.
Gas mileage complaints? There are none. The 2017 averaged 30-31 on the highway in 7th gear running 75 mph.
© 24hourcampfire