Home
Posted By: hanco First car-truck you drove ? - 07/19/19
My first was a 57 Ford truck. First I owned was a 65 Chevy 1/2 ton truck.
Posted By: Mike_S Re: First car-truck you drove ? - 07/19/19
62 Ford Galaxy 500 XL. 352 4 barrel dual exhaust.
first one I drove or the first one I owned? First drove Dad's 49 Ford coupe. Flathead, two Strombergs, smitty exhaust, three on the tree.
The first one I owned was a 57 Ford station wagon. 312 Thunderbird V8, auto, and a HUGE back area that was a lot of fun at nighttime beach parties.
Posted By: JeffA Re: First car-truck you drove ? - 07/19/19
First car was a 65 Mustang Fastback...
My brother's 47 Willis Jeep.
Posted By: WTF Re: First car-truck you drove ? - 07/19/19
My 49 Chevy 5 window.
1976 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 manual on a rough as hell two-track in SE Oregon. It didn't end well for many a sagebush.
First drove was stealing/borrowing brothers TR6.
First that was mine was 70 LeMans Sport convertible
The first car I ever drove, when I was 11, was a 1968 VW Bug.

The first car I owned, when I was 17, was a 1969 Chevelle SS.

'61 Corvair..........

giving away my age..........
1952 Chevrolet. I made about 50 yds, but when i failed to make the cruve on my first 6 yo drive out the long dirt driveway, with mom running after me while screaming, and started bumping over the cactus and mesquite in the pasture, dad jumped up from the passenger side floor and seat and took control.
Originally Posted by StoneCutter

bet ya wish you still had the Chevelle.......
Originally Posted by Mike_S
62 Ford Galaxy 500 XL. 352 4 barrel dual exhaust.

I always wanted to be one of you kind of people. frown
Ford Model A truck with a home-made wooden flat bed for hauling square hay bales, I have no idea what vintage it was, only that it was certainly pre-WW2. It belonged to a semi-retired dairy farmer who couldn't make a living milking 30 cows, but farming was in his blood, so he continued to make hay when the grass was growing, cut and split firewood, and make maple syrup when the sap was running as a means by which to supplement his SSI.
A ranchero.

1956 Plymouth Savoy, 4 door, two-tone, black with a white roof, 3 spd. on the column.
Posted By: TheKid Re: First car-truck you drove ? - 07/19/19
1979 F250 4x4, 400 4sp.
Originally Posted by tikkanut

bet ya wish you still had the Chevelle.......

Yeah, I paid $700.00 for it. I blew up the engine and burned the rear tires off of it. After we put another engine in and replaced the tires, my old man made me get rid of it. After that, I bought a 1970 Camaro RS. I took pretty good care of it until I wrecked it. It's amazing that we had these cool cars and took them for granted.

Eight years ago I bought this from one of my customers. It's a '68. He had it for 5 years. When he first bought it, I told him that I had first dibs on it if he ever wanted to sell it. This one is in a lot better shape than the '69 I had when I was a kid.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
1978 Mercury Zepher

1972 F-250 4x4 360 4-speed

no power steering....
1965 Studebaker Commander. Was 14. We learned to drive tearing around harvested corn fields.
First car I drove was Dads, a 1976 Plymouth Arrow.

First car I owned and drove was a 1972 Chevy Nova Hatchback.
With Learner's permit -- '59 Chevy Impala with bullet bumper, 283 Power Pack with duel exhaust. Even tho, both my mom and dad had a "lead-foot" they did tell me to slow down from time to time ... grin
49 Plymouth Coup. Bought it for $50
Posted By: JMR40 Re: First car-truck you drove ? - 07/19/19
First to drive was a 1967 Ford Falcon, mom's car. Dad bought a new car and I drove his old 1972 Chevy station wagon after I turned 16 for 3-4 months until I saved up enough for my 1st car. I paid $500 for a 1969 Firebird convertible. There was some body damage, but dad knew a guy going through a divorce and bankruptcy that agreed to repair and repaint the car for $200 if I paid cash so I had $700 in the car. This was 1974.

I wish I could have kept that car, but it got 6-10 mpg and gas prices relative to income were about double what they are today. I kept it through high school, but had to have something cheaper on gas.
Posted By: 240NMC Re: First car-truck you drove ? - 07/19/19
1970 Olds 442 dark blue with a vinyl top in 1978. Spin the main crank bearings the third day I owned it..... learned how to rebuild engines and been doing it since.
Learned to drive on a 1969 chevy biscayne and first car owned was a 1953 chevy belair.
1950 Dodge. Hasbeen
'49 Ford F100. I learned to drive with it. My 1st car was a '59 Ford Fairlane station wagon. I had that through college and I got popular as a people hauler for weekend trips home. I met my wife that way. She heard there was a car heading south to Boise and hooked a ride with me.
One of the ramblers don't know what year.

Then Grand pa got a early Falcon.
First one I drove was Dad's 62 Pontiac Tempest ... 3 speed on the column. First owned was a 64 Chev Impala.
Posted By: aalf Re: First car-truck you drove ? - 07/19/19

Dad's 69 Chevy 1/2 ton 307 3 on the tree
first car of my own was a 70 1/2 RS camaro with the split bumpers rubber nose.
At about age 5 I can recall sitting on my dad's lap while he let me "steer" his red 1950 Ford tudor. Does that count as driving? If not then it was probably circa 1965 when I got a beat up 1956 Mercury and parked it out back and sometimes drove it in the adjoining field which we didn't own. Never had it licensed, as I was only 15 and didn't have a license yet. Just got the car because I wanted to fool around working on cars and it only cost me 25 bucks.
first i ever drove was a 77 monte carlo.
1972 International Scout. Orange and white.
Posted By: tzone Re: First car-truck you drove ? - 07/19/19
First one I drove was a 70's something 1-Ton International pick-up.

First one I owned was a 1981 AMC Eagle Wagon.
1960 VW

[Linked Image]
Posted By: DMc Re: First car-truck you drove ? - 07/19/19
1963 Chevy Impala, and the first car I owned was a 1932 Ford Hotrod that I purchased from a neighbor that was building the car.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RickyD Re: First car-truck you drove ? - 07/19/19
A 62 Buick Skylark in a corn field when I was 12 with my Dad. He told me not to tell my Mom, and I didn't, but he did.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
first car of my own was a 70 1/2 RS camaro with the split bumpers rubber nose.

That was my second car. Paid $700.00 for that. I ran it into the back of a Dodge Dart and totaled both cars. It had a 307 2 barrel. It was brown with a tan vinyl roof. Put a set of Cregars on it with L60's on the back. Had it all jacked up with air shocks.
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: First car-truck you drove ? - 07/19/19
1946 Ford flatbed dump truck, with a leaky brake system. Was working part time at a campground when I was about 14. Used the truck for trash, firewood, gravel. Probably not one of the owner's better decisions having me drive, but no injuries resulted. Hellava vehicle to learn on.

First new car I owned was a 1978 Pontiac Sunbird hatchback. Anyone remember those? 90 hp 4 cylinder, and 36 mpg with an 18 gal tank. You could drive all day on a tank of gas, just don't try to pass anyone or be in a hurry on hills . Still had that car when I reported to FT Sam Houston in 1982 for Officer Basic. Think about lots of glass, vinyl bucket seats, and no air conditioning in San Antonio in Jul and Aug.
1966 Dodge Polara stationwagon.
I was underage and could not wait for a legal license so I would find my parents keys and drive it when they were away.
In the past 50 years or so I've driven very few cars that were as much fun or as fast as that 383 Polara.
Posted By: ERK Re: First car-truck you drove ? - 07/19/19
1940 ford with the flathead v8. The roof was cut off from the windshield back. Dad kinda made it into a pickup and it had a water tank and booms to spray the fields. With no weight that thing would throw gravel for a long ways. First car I owned was a 1960 Chevy impala. Edk
My first vehicle as a '60 Chevy shortbed Fleetside pickup, with a 235 six banger and three-on-the-tree. It was slow, sturdy, and a POS by any standards. It was Seafoam green, and the oak bed in rotting out, though pretty slowly. I drove it for a year, then sold it and bought a '73 Plymouth Duster, which had a slant-six and would run pretty good, though everything else was falling apart. It was a POS, too. Then I got a Datsun pickup, which was slow, sturdy, and a lot of fun to drive. It rode pretty rough, though.

I guess I never got over that Datsun, I'm on my fifth one, now.
A1962 Pontiac Tempest.
Oddly enough a Korea era USAF ambulance. First standard transmission.
My first car was a 1955 Chevy. It was in June of 1959, I was 16 years old. Loved that car. A lot of good times associated with the Chevy, some of those good times took place behind the steering wheel and others in the backseat.
First drove a ‘65 gmc truck

1st owned 71 Dodge Charger
Posted By: dale06 Re: First car-truck you drove ? - 07/19/19
Late 50s chev pu.
Dad put in in lowest gear, jumped out of the pu, and I guided it parallel to cattle feed bunks while he shoveled feed into the bunks
Would eight hour days on a 48 Ford 8N tractor at the age of five count?

No, how about all day behind the wheel of an eighteen foot flatbed GMC, guiding hay bales Into the throat of a clear field elevator at the age of six.

Still no? Damn, okay then I drove a 62 Chevy short narrow bed all over the farm carrying siphon tubes in the summer and corn silage to the feed bunks all winter at age twelve. little six banger w/ four speed truck tranny and stump puller 4.10s in the rear end.

The first car I owned was a 71 Toyota Celica. 1.8 L w/ 4 speed.
Posted By: JDK Re: First car-truck you drove ? - 07/19/19
1972 International Scout
Posted By: WAM Re: First car-truck you drove ? - 07/19/19
A 1954 Chevy Bel Air 2-door. Drove my Uncle Willie’s ‘47 Ford pickup about the same time.

Stoner.........

purty kool

[Linked Image]
1952 Kaiser after several years on tractors
Drove was a '67 Olds wagon in the junkyard. We had the torches in the back and drove it to whatever we were working on. I was 11 or 12 years old.
First on the road was a '71 Galaxy, our family car. A few years later that mild mannered Galaxy became known as "Henry the Ford". Celebrated for his hubcap tossing donuts! grin
My first car was a '72 Monte Carlo with a 402 bigblock and a 12 bolt posi. It was wrecked, and I worked on that car for a year repairing and restoring it. Since I had so much work in it, it was my "Baby". I raced it occasionally and did donuts to show off, but I never beat on it like I did Henry. I don't like to brag, but it was the nicest car of my school class, and a lot of us had nice cars.
The Old Man was worried about a 17 year old with that big motor. There was a wrecked '75 Caprice with a 305. "If I find out you're racing that thing, I'll pull that motor and stick that 305 in There!" eek
When I got outta the Army, I got into racing on a dirt track and sold the Monte Carlo to a guy who promised to take care of it.
Instead it sit for 4 years and ended up getting stripped. I still regret selling it.
7mm
This got me back and forth across the trailer park. Until I got a Big Wheel.

[Linked Image]
When I got sick of hitchhiking, I bought my third car. It was a 1968 Ford station wagon "Country Squire". It didn't have any hub caps and I paid 75 bucks for it. It was known as "The Party Wagon". I had an 8 track player in it with big ass stereo speakers in the back.
Drove? Don't remember. Owned was a 1952 Chev custom delux 4Dr. six banger. Other first times I remember a lot better. grin GW
When I got sick of hitchhiking, I bought my third car. It was a 1968 Ford station wagon "Country Squire". It didn't have any hub caps and I paid 75 bucks for it. It was known as "The Party Wagon". I had an 8 track player in it with big ass stereo speakers in the back.

I paid 100 for mine, it was a Brittany Spaniel carrier grin Loved it

Getting back to the thread , My first car was a POS toyota corolla.
Probably a 63 Ford pickup.

Dad would get us started about 4 or so. Couldn't reach the pedals or shift....but could steer while he pitched bales.

First truck would have been an early 60's Ford Cabover.
First I drove was a '47 Chevy Coup, First I actually bought myself was a '61 DeSoto Adventurer with quite a few in-between.

Phil
Grandpa's 1928 Ford. Better than a go cart. Couldn't hardly see or reach pedals, but managed to not hit anything. Quite a treat for a 8-9 year old kid.

Would have been around 1966 or so.
Originally Posted by slumlord

[Linked Image]

I knew that was coming when i first read the title. I just couldnt figure out who.
63 GMC 3/4 Ton with a V-6 and 4 on the floor. It was
GrandDad’s Ranch Truck. I’d drive along in “granny” low gear
at age 6 as he threw hay bales out to our cows.
Was already driving a tractor by then too.
Originally Posted by jaguartx

[Linked Image]

I knew that was coming when i first read the title. I just couldnt figure out who.

I used that fugger like a skateboard

Get it going pushing it, then drop one knee in it.

That, or i'd set my skinny ass in the bed and ride in it down hill

I feel sorry for all the dudes on here that had to milk cows or tend the worm farm at 5am. I had it made.

😄
1961 Chevy Impala, 283.
1963 Chevy Impala, 283.
Posted By: CCCC Re: First car-truck you drove ? - 07/19/19
First drove and passed the license driving test in our 37 Hudson Terraplane, in 1954. Bought my first car in 1955, a 1948 Chev Coupe.

[Linked Image]

LOL ! Reminds me of that Joe Diffie song

1953 International pickup belonged to a neighbor we would cruise the back roads drinking wild Irish rose when I was about 15 years old.
The first thing with an engine that I ever drove was a 60 ton, M-48 tank. Lousy MPG but boy could it go! No beep beep, BLAM!
Posted By: Muffin Re: First car-truck you drove ? - 07/19/19
First thing I ever really 'drove' was a bulldozer.....
Posted By: shaman Re: First car-truck you drove ? - 07/19/19
I took driver training in a 74 Chevy Nova.

The first car I drove regularly was my Dad's 75 Buick Estate Wagon.

The first car that I had to myself was my Grandfather's 67 Buick Electra 225. I only had it for a couple of months-- sold it when I went off to college.

The first car I ever owned was a 78 Black Buick Regal.
Posted By: pal Re: First car-truck you drove ? - 07/19/19
'32 Model B Ford pickup with utility bed.
First car I drove was Mom's Ford Country Squire station wagon. That thing was a barge but with a 460 under the hood it was surprisingly fast.

First car I bought was a 71 Mustang. Baby blue with a 302 and an 8 track. Pussy mobile.
The first car I drove was my mother's 1959 Oldsmobile 88. She let me drive from her cousin's place in "the country" to the main highway, about 15 miles. I was only 15 (1961).

My first car was a 1953 Pontiac convertible the neighbors gave me. Flathead straight 8, power top, Indian head on the hood lit up with the headlights. I sold that, and got another freebie, a 1953 Ford two door, black and white. It had another flathead, this one a V-8, with Fordomatic. Sold that and bought a 1957 Studebaker Silver Hawk, 289 Studebaker V-8 with a two barrel, Borg Warner automatic. That car went pretty good! I have had lots of other cars when I was young. The best was my 1963 Chevy Impala SS 327 250 hp four speed. The worst probably was the 1964 SS convertible 409 I traded the 327 for. Two four barrels, hot cam, 4 mpg. But it was pretty!

Memories....and then there were motorcycles....
Posted By: Theeck Re: First car-truck you drove ? - 07/19/19
1970s Dodge Aspen
First thing was a "C" Allis-Chalmers tractor. First vehicle was my grandfathers 1955 Chevy car.
My dad's 67 427 Corvette. Learned to shift on that car. First fun car I owned - Toyota FJ40. Bought it for $4K from the original owner. 15K miles. Wish I had it back.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by WAM
A 1954 Chevy Bel Air 2-door. Drove my Uncle Willie’s ‘47 Ford pickup about the same time.

First drive was the family 61' Chevy Biscayne wagon.

First owned, 1954 Chevy Bel Air Two Door Hardtop Coupe. $150 paid cash from my paper route and pick up job money. Sure do wish I'd hung onto that one.

Geno
1977 Subaru front wheel drive station wagon of my parents.
Posted By: dpd Re: First car-truck you drove ? - 07/19/19
64 Chevy Nova
Originally Posted by Savageguy
1953 International pickup belonged to a neighbor we would cruise the back roads drinking wild Irish rose when I was about 15 years old.

First vehicle I got to drive was an early 60's International 1 ton flat bed hay truck. We would hay it on the fairgrounds and then take turns driving it through town & up to my cousin's grandfather's farm. Later on that old truck became our camp truck and we used it for several more years.
First car of my own was a 1970 Camaro Rally Sport. Some called it a 70 1/2 as the front bumper was only under the headlights. Paid $2184.00 for it.
Started out with my mom's '75 Ford Granada. After she passed away my dad sold that car and bought a Ford F100, but I go to drive the '55 Wylis Jeep. No roof, stick shift, rain, snow, heat it didn't matter. That was my ride.
An English Ford a 1961 zodiac it was positive ground as opposed to American cars that were neg grnd
'50 Ford sedan. I was 8 yrs. old.
I learned to drive in my father's 67 F100, 352 and 3 on the tree (the ultimate anti-millenial theft device). An indestructible truck. I was 11 or 12, in a cow pasture while we were cutting wood. First vehicle I bought was a 65 F100 stepside, also 3 speed.

I miss trucks with manual transmissions.
Posted By: AB2506 Re: First car-truck you drove ? - 07/19/19
First truck I drove was a 1973 GMC longbox crewcab with a 350 and a 4 speed floor shift with the first gear a "bull" low. Dad used to sing "give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around". Not the tightest turning circle.

First car I owned was a 1982 Celica GT with a 5 speed manual. Great car.
truck - 71 international 1200 4x4. 3/4 ton, 4 speed, manual brakes and steering. it was a beast. i was 14.

car - 69 malibu. 3 on the tree and 6 banger. same age as above.
Posted By: Pat85 Re: First car-truck you drove ? - 07/19/19
1968 Plymouth Roadrunner with a 383, 4 speed.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: First car-truck you drove ? - 07/19/19
31 Ford model A 5 window, bought it from Bud's Junk Yard in 1950, $ 75.00 first car I ever owned, My brother still has it. started driving anything that would roll on the ranch, when I was about 7 or 8 yrs old. Rio7
Posted By: BIGR Re: First car-truck you drove ? - 07/19/19
1969 C-10 Chevy truck, 250 CI, in line 6, three speed on the column.
Posted By: jwall Re: First car-truck you drove ? - 07/19/19
Originally Posted by WTF
My 49 Chevy 5 window.

Well, you beat me by 3 yrs.

'52 Dodge P U, 4 in floor, starter button on the floor next to the accelerator.

Jerry
1961 Buick LaSabre. It was an ugly brown color and my parents had put those ugly clear seat covers that was the thing people did back then. Within a year or so Dad purchased and gave to me a 1967 Ford Mustang 2+2 Fastback with a 390 c.i. 4-speed and I don't think I ever drove that Buick again.
Whole bunch of old fuggs on here! Haha! First one I drove was a '82 Chevy Cheyenne K10, first one I owned was a '87 Chevy S-10.
I learned to drive on my older brothers 1960 Ford Falcon tiny little 6 cyl and 3 on the tree.
Posted By: BIGR Re: First car-truck you drove ? - 07/20/19
Originally Posted by old_willys
I learned to drive on my older brothers 1960 Ford Falcon tiny little 6 cyl and 3 on the tree.

There you go, all drivers ed students should learn on three on the tree, after that they could drive about anything......
Originally Posted by Pat85

Braggart 👍
Posted By: BIGR Re: First car-truck you drove ? - 07/20/19

Braggart 👍

I would have been seriously hurt or dead in one of those as my first vehicle.
66 VW Beetle
Originally Posted by EIB0879
66 VW Beetle

My Mom had a 65 Model. That thing was slower than a snail. 😜
'73 Ford F250 Ranger, 390 4bbl 4 speed...I was 8 if I remember right.
Learned to drive in a 64 1/2 Chevy stepwise 4 speed. Grandpa picked up rocks and i drove in first gear. I was probably 6-7 years old. First vehicle was my dads 67’ f100 352 4 speed. He passed when I was 13 and mom gave me that truck. If I tore it up I chad to fix it. Needless to say that’s where I learned to mechanic. I’m 37 now so those were classics. Luckily I still have both and my grandpas 68 Chevy 3/4 with a 327 and 4 speed.
Originally Posted by Wylietx107
Learned to drive in a 64 1/2 Chevy stepwise 4 speed. Grandpa picked up rocks and i drove in first gear. I was probably 6-7 years old. First vehicle was my dads 67’ f100 352 4 speed. He passed when I was 13 and mom gave me that truck. If I tore it up I chad to fix it. Needless to say that’s where I learned to mechanic. I’m 37 now so those were classics. Luckily I still have both and my grandpas 68 Chevy 3/4 with a 327 and 4 speed.

It’s great to hear that you hung on to those pickups!
They are sitting in sheds. My son and I are going to fix up the Ford for him when he gets older. I’m a collector of family stuff.
70 Chevy C-10, three on the tree.
Posted By: LouisB Re: First car-truck you drove ? - 07/20/19
First driven 56 Ford PU.
First driven without adult assistance Same 56 Ford PU

First owned 58 Plymouth.
Posted By: TheKid Re: First car-truck you drove ? - 07/20/19
Originally Posted by Wylietx107
They are sitting in sheds. My son and I are going to fix up the Ford for him when he gets older. I’m a collector of family stuff.

Pretty cool man, my dad gave me this one when I was 16 and I have a little boy that loves to ride in it. I don’t know if he’ll get it when he’s 16 but he will when I pass. We had a 74’ too that dad and mom each paid half for their wedding present to each other. It was supposed to be mine but dad had a guy making him an offer and I was in Alaska so I told him to do what he wanted to with it and he let it go. Had a Great Great Aunt who gave me her 1956 Ford Fairlane when she stopped driving at age 96, it was spotless and beautiful blue over white. Dad thought it would cause hard feelings in the family and made me give it back. Some doper relative from the other side of the family promptly grabbed it and sold it for a couple hundred bucks. Hang on to yours you’ve got a really cool thing going. [Linked Image]
Some old Chevrolet truck, i can't remember the model but it was pretty badass back then an driving was so much fun,

My older brother had a 69 w/ the 383 magnum and the pistol grip 4 speed. White w/ black interior.
Mid 14s in the quarter on street tires though the mufflers!
He got T boned by another driver and the Roadrunner was destroyed.
7mm
First car I drove was likely one of Dads company cars. Chevy Caprice.

First I owned was a rust bucket 1966 Charger.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by EIB0879
66 VW Beetle

My Mom had a 65 Model. That thing was slower than a snail. 😜

Before three wheelers came out we put mud tires on it and it would go places a four wheel drive truck wouldn't. We came across some guys one time in a four wheel drive truck stuck in a creek on a highline. We stopped and asked them if the needed help. They grumbled "no". Then we drove across that creek like it wasn't there. When I looked back, the look on those guy's faces was priceless.

But we kept a come along and chains in it just in case.
Learned to drive in '66-'67 in an old -61 Ranchero converted to three on the floor. Learned to shift in a very mechanical and precise way as it would get stuck between First/reverse side and second/ third side if you didn't time it and move the shifter very precisely in a certain plane. Dad knew I wouldn't be able to hot rod too much with that shifter. The 3 spd and the six cylinder would have been an excellent street racer. The six had lots of torque but you couldn't use it if you had to. Cagey guy my Dad. Probably why I'm alive today. My first car on the streets was a '66 Falcon with automatic and six cylinder. Another slow car. Eventually I progressed to a 67 Mustang fastback with a 390 4bbl and auto. As a young adult I got a Mustang fastback 428 Cobra Jet with shaker on the hood and factory "Drag Pack" according to the spec sheet. You had to pull the motor to get to the plugs on one side. Sold it for a good profit and started getting into older pickups. Favorite even today was an old F250 fulltime 4x4 with 4 spd . It was a beat up repainted truck from the phone cable splicers. I could go almost anywhere with it. The winch I put on the front pulled a lot of medium sized logs and got me out of trouble a couple of times. Long gone, I wish for another one to happen to be refurbed and available. Don't need the paint job. Be Well. Packy
Posted By: hanco Re: First car-truck you drove ? - 07/21/19
This is interesting to read, interesting old cars some of us learned to drive.
1974 IH Scout was my first actual vehicle.

Learned to drive with a '77 F250 w/manual transmission.
1970 Ford Torino GT, pristine. Sold it and the guy who bought it totaled it two weeks later. Oh well.
Originally Posted by tikkanut

'61 Corvair..........

giving away my age..........

Me too.
The first car I drove was Mom and Dad's 77 Caprice Classic. The first car I owned was a 66 Pontiac Catalina. My first 4WD was a 66 Jeep Wagoneer.
1st drove was a 1966 Jeep Wagoneer. 327 with 3 on the tree. 9 miles to the gallon.

1st owned was an early 80's Ford pickup also 3 on the tree with a 302 engine. Had transmission problems so I did not have it long.
Posted By: DMc Re: First car-truck you drove ? - 07/21/19
Cars were more fun back then...

Especially back seats
'64 Chevy long bed stepside pickup, 283 ci, three on the tree.
My dad had a 1946 Chevy (similar to this one) and he allowed me to sit in his lap and drive it.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: KFWA Re: First car-truck you drove ? - 07/21/19
1972 Datsun 1200
79 Ford 1/2 ton from the house to the dump back in the pasture.
I learned to drive on a '68 Chevy 3/4 ton truck with a 6 cylinder and 4 speed.
A 1960 "really plain Jane"sage green Chevrolet Corvair 4-door sedan, with AT, green-checked cloth bench seats, blackwall tires & a basic AM radio. - My aunt taught me to drive in that sedan at age 14..

I learned, year later, that my Aunt Gladys Helen MAY have bought the FIRST Corvair that was ever sold to the "general public", as her childhood friend sold it to her because her 1957 Plymouth Fury had "blown up" on the way home from her job as the Nurse Administrator for our city/county hospital.
(Also, she HAD to return to work in 6 hours, after a "double shift" in the OR.)

Years later, I asked her HOW she got him to sell a car, that he had been told NOT to sell any Corvairs until the "official announcement date". = She laughed & said, "BeeGee" always had a crush on me in HS & being a reasonably attractive RN in "whites", with long legs "didn't hurt anything either".

Then she chuckled again & said, "Bee Gee" told me that he "hoped to H" that selling me the little car wouldn't cost him his dealership..

ODDLY, hardly anyone even "commented upon" the Corvair until AFTER the commercials appeared on TV.

After I found out that it MAY have been the first Corvair ever sold, I tried to find the car to buy it to keep. = NO such luck, as my aunt traded it in on an Impala HT after just 2 years & the little sedan was sold at auction out of the county.

yours, tex
Posted By: batch Re: First car-truck you drove ? - 07/22/19
First 'drove' a 1949 Plymouth I found in Grandpa's barn. It had a semi-automatic transmission and I got to 4th in the empty pig lot next to the barn. Clutch to start off, let up on gas to shift to 2nd, then clutch to 3rd then let off to 4th. Not much room to drive but heady for a 10 year old. I had to back it into the barn since there wasn't enough room to turn. First owned was a 1958 MGA Coupe, but my first "married" car was a 1959 Mercedes with four on the tree. Had to buy old cheap stuff because we didn't have any money. Both of us E3s in the AF. My older brother bought a 1964 Pontiac GTO that screamed. 6.5 liter, 4speed close ratio Hurst floor shift, Factory Holly 6 pack carbs, and it was a convertible. Only drove it when he wasn't looking and the only vehicle I ever watched the gas gauge drop when I put my foot in it. He chose the girl over the car and I am not sure if it was the right choice even if they are coming up on 50.
First driven would have been the 1961 Ford farm pickup in the late 70’s as a 8-9 year old. First owned was a 1974 f100 short bed with an in-line 6 cyl and 3 speed tranny in 1986. It went out in a blaze of glory upside down in the street in front of the HS principal’s house. Replaced it with a 1974 Blazer 4x4 that was the location of many a good time back in the day!
Posted By: kenoh2 Re: First car-truck you drove ? - 07/22/19
First on the road was my dad's green and white '72 Chevy 4x4 truck. First around the farm and on the road a few miles between fields was a little two door Datsun.

My first car at fifteen was a '69 Firebird OHC 6cyl. Powerglide. The motor was tied-up which was OK with me because I had plans to drop in a 327 SBC. Dad "redirected" my course of action and told me that it would be a good challenge to get the original six banger running. After the rebuild it ran about as smooth and quiet as an electric motor. Not quite what a young man in high school wanted. A couple years later my brother and I pulled a 350 SBC from my grandma's Impala before it went the the scrapyard. Firebird version 2 got me through school and fared pretty well against my bud's mopars. I sold it to my brother for $2000 to buy a "69 Corvette convertible 350HP 350 4sp.

My brother kept the original six cylinder from the Firebird and sold it a few years back for more than what he paid me for the car.

My first driver was a 1/2 ton GMC farm truck, maybe a '72. Dad always bought those step sides with a three-in-the-tree.
'57 Buick Roadmaster coupe. Black with gray & black interior.

Great, dependable, big v8, thick comfy seats, and plenty of room in the back seat for drive ins.

Cost me a whopping $200 back in 1966. smile
First 'truck' I ever drove was my dad's 1947 International dump truck.. 4-sp, and NO synchros.. Ya learn how to double-clutch early in that beast... laugh
Posted By: Blu_Cs Re: First car-truck you drove ? - 07/22/19
67 Chevy II Nova, with the 192 and a powerglide transmission. Although I happily traded up to a Chevelle wagon because it was better suited to fishing and boat towing, shoulda kept it and upgraded. But young and broke so...….
Posted By: 16bore Re: First car-truck you drove ? - 07/22/19
‘70’s Ford pickup with the longest gear shift in the world, followed by an old Toyota truck my cousin cut the top off and removed the doors. Known as the “Schlep Truck”
Posted By: 5sdad Re: First car-truck you drove ? - 07/22/19
First car that I actually drove (with Dad alongside) was his '63 Olds when I was 12. First solo was in a '64 Malibu when I was 13.
61or 62 F100 best I remember. Gramps would send me to the store to pick up drinks and snacks for the field hands, I was 13 years old. Everybody worked like it or not. My dad gave me his old 66 Ford Galaxy when I got my license, all I had to do was replace brake shoes and new recaps. Drove It like I stole it most times, had my first real date in it. Bench seat was like a couch!
1954 Chevy Bel Air, power glide transmission, hell of a ride for a 17 year old farm kid. Next year hired on with Mountain Bell Telephone Co, and picked up a 1960 VW bug for the 100 mile round trip to work and back.
Posted By: fester Re: First car-truck you drove ? - 07/22/19
87 Ford F-250, 460, glass packs, stick.... got it inTexas.
Posted By: KFWA Re: First car-truck you drove ? - 07/22/19
3 on the tree in an old pickup meant you had to have some leg to work that clutch.

People pay gym's good money for that kind of workout.
72 Chevy C-10, 3 on the tree, tire mounted in front of the grill! It was an Upstate NY truck, antenna had rusted through at the quarter panel, gas tank had a hole half way up and panels behind driver and passenger had rusted through...you had to lean interior to avoid getting wet. Had a security system through...thumb push button on the door handle had rusted through and you had to stick your finger in and trip the release. Bed had rusted off and we put a wood deck on it. Friends laughed at me for driving it to school in the late 80s...then we figured out who could do donuts!
Originally Posted by DownWind
First one I drove was Dad's 62 Pontiac Tempest ... 3 speed on the column. First owned was a 64 Chev Impala.

First car I drove, mom's 66 VW Fastback....

First car she got from a young airman at the Pentagon, from in her office...
He was selling it quick as he had orders for Vietnam...

62 Pontiac Tempest, Red, paint all faded and oxidized....I paid her the $300 for it..

I cringed when I saw it... she told me it was real 'peppy' for a 6 cylinder...

She told me to just take it for a spin and see how I like it....

so as soon as I got far enough from the house, where she couldn't see it or me....I stopped at the stop sign...
Shifted the automatic down into second and just stomped on the gas pedal....
that car went in every direction but straight....smoke was everywhere from the rear tires..

Popped the hood....no fender guards, nothing.. just all engine...

It didn't have a 6 cylinder in it....it had a V 8.....a big one... on the huge breather for the air filter it said Pontiac 421..
and it had 3 two barrels carbs...

That was a fun car for about 6 weeks... until mom finally found out what was under the hood...

it needing new tires in 3 weeks let her know something was up..

she immediately took the keys and the car.. and got rid of it...and gave me the keys to her 66 Fastback and she bought a new car.
1939 Ford Coupe
74 Ford Granda
Believe it was a 63-64 corvair. Check the gas and add some oil.
Posted By: DMc Re: First car-truck you drove ? - 07/23/19
Originally Posted by KFWA
3 on the tree in an old pickup meant you had to have some leg to work that clutch.

People pay gym's good money for that kind of workout.

FUNNY, but true!
© 24hourcampfire