Home
Posted By: Barkoff Ivory Grips - 07/21/19

Can real Ivory grips still be bought in the U.S?
Would like to get a set for my Father's model 60.

Thank you
Posted By: 700LH Re: Ivory Grips - 07/21/19
Only used ones, no new elephant Ivory, maybe mammoth is possible.
Posted By: Barkoff Re: Ivory Grips - 07/21/19

Thanks...but I'm reading where both Elephant and Mammoth are illegal here in this [bleep], CA trying to protect the Mammoth from poaching I suppose.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Ivory Grips - 07/21/19
CA has banned all ivory. Mammoth and fossil walrus are both relatively easy to find here.
Originally Posted by 700LH
Only used ones, no new elephant Ivory, maybe mammoth is possible.

Pre-ban elephant is still around but most do not want to tempt fate dealing with/in it.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Ivory Grips - 07/21/19
https://www.boonetrading.com/collec...ound-butt-simulated-ivory-pistol-grips-1
On a different note, I assume you are talking a J-Frame Smith 60... Ivory grips can be a little disconcerting in recoil.
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
On a different note, I assume you are talking a J-Frame Smith 60... Ivory grips can be a little disconcerting in recoil.

I have some hard ones on there now, they are a little more to deal with than wood or rubber, but not too much for me. I also run a Tyler T-grip on them, so that helps.

Maybe I'll go with some horn or imitation Ivory.

Thanks.

I'm curious, is Mammoth an incidental find in AK, or common...no state regulations on it, or only natives can harvest finds?

Thank you, I'll give those some consideration.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Ivory Grips - 07/21/19
Originally Posted by Barkoff

Thank you, I'll give those some consideration.

Those are nice grips.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Ivory Grips - 07/21/19

Thank you

This from a huge estate auction in a nearby town a few years back: http://archive.courierpress.com/new...xotic-items-ep-296963092-324925771.html/

...As exotic as some of the items in the antique catalog are, some of the Whittingtons' possessions can't be sold for reasons of legality, including two enormous sets of elephant tusks that formerly were signature elements of the home's décor...

I have some hard ones on there now, they are a little more to deal with than wood or rubber, but not too much for me. I also run a Tyler T-grip on them, so that helps.

Thanks.

I'm curious, is Mammoth an incidental find in AK, or common...no state regulations on it, or only natives can harvest finds?

Mammoth can pop up anywhere around the state, but the farther north the more likely it is. The finder can pick it up unless it is in a park or other such Federal entity. Most of it comes from gold miners washing mountains through sluice boxes. Many miners make more on ivory than gold.

The price fluctuates a LOT. Based on Boone's Trading Post it looks high currently. I have cut hundreds of pounds of it...

Native artifact fossil walrus is especially high.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Ivory Grips - 07/21/19
And Corian scraps are especially cheap.....

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by joken2

Thank you

This from a huge estate auction in a nearby town a few years back: http://archive.courierpress.com/new...xotic-items-ep-296963092-324925771.html/

...As exotic as some of the items in the antique catalog are, some of the Whittingtons' possessions can't be sold for reasons of legality, including two enormous sets of elephant tusks that formerly were signature elements of the home's décor...

They require taking a survey to see it.
Originally Posted by huntsman22
And Corian scraps are especially cheap.....

[Linked Image]

With the added benefit of looking it!

wink
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Ivory Grips - 07/21/19
Back a few years ago when I was into cowboy action shooting, I picked up a used pair of Colt Gen 3 SAA in .38 Spec, engraved by a retired Wby engraver in TX. I sent grip frames to Nutmeg Sports for one piece ivory handles. I even sent a set of one piece rosewood grips I had shaped and finished. Nutmeg reporduced the shape of the rosewood grips, did a nice job. www.nutmegsports.com/

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The set I sent for a pattern. Shaped and finished by me, carved and checkered by Errol Case in MO.

[Linked Image]

Thanks.

Mammoth can pop up anywhere around the state, but the farther north the more likely it is. The finder can pick it up unless it is in a park or other such Federal entity. Most of it comes from gold miners washing mountains through sluice boxes. Many miners make more on ivory than gold.

The price fluctuates a LOT. Based on Boone's Trading Post it looks high currently. I have cut hundreds of pounds of it...

Native artifact fossil walrus is especially high.

Thanks
[Linked Image]

Those are something!!
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Ivory Grips - 07/21/19
CA has banned all ivory. Mammoth and fossil walrus are both relatively easy to find here.

Ditto here in FL. And Ivory.
Posted By: EQFD193 Re: Ivory Grips - 07/21/19
nice work, Dirtfarmer !
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Ivory Grips - 07/21/19
Thanks guys.

Blind hog sometimes finds an acorn...

Those just so happen to have the most iridescent, soft case colors I've seen on SSA's of any generation.

Keepers, for sure.

DF
Posted By: JeffA Re: Ivory Grips - 07/21/19
Every seen any Native Alaskan's doing any grips with Walrus Ivory?
Originally Posted by JeffA
Every seen any Native Alaskan's doing any grips with Walrus Ivory?

No, but walrus, either fossil or fresh is available. I just passed on a headset of walrus yesterday that was legal ivory, not fossil.
Posted By: JeffA Re: Ivory Grips - 07/21/19
How much for the headset?
Posted By: domit Re: Ivory Grips - 07/22/19
nutmeg is the way to go. there bone grips look really nice and most can't tell the difference
Posted By: DMc Re: Ivory Grips - 07/22/19
Ivory can be a nice touch...

[Linked Image]

...if tastefully applied.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Ivory Grips - 07/22/19
Originally Posted by JeffA
How much for the headset?

Sorry, I missed this question earlier. They wanted 500, which admittedly was dirt cheap for their size. I had just spent way more than I should have on a few other items and called a friend that climbed all over them!
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Ivory Grips - 07/22/19
[Linked Image]
Posted By: PJGunner Re: Ivory Grips - 07/22/19
"CA has banned all ivory."

Does that mean if I went to CA and did a bear or hog hunt with my .35 Whelen they'd throw my sorry old butt in jail and throw away the key? The forearm and grip are tipped with elephant ivory. shocked Oh the horror! smirk
Paul B.
Posted By: lightman Re: Ivory Grips - 07/22/19
I had a set of one piece grips made for my SA Army back around 2000. I'm pretty sure they were Walrus ivory. Were carved on one side. I think the maker was in New Jersey and maybe named GunArt. Seems like they were about $400.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Ivory Grips - 07/23/19
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The set I sent for a pattern. Shaped and finished by me, carved and checkered by Errol Case in MO.

[Linked Image]

Very good taste sir. Excellent.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Ivory Grips - 07/23/19
Thanks Terry.

DF
Originally Posted by DMc
Ivory can be a nice touch...

[Linked Image]

...if tastefully applied.

I like it.

What's the story on that one?

DF
Posted By: Gun_Doc Re: Ivory Grips - 07/23/19
FWIW, when I did some searching about seven years ago, some with experience thought the best "fake" was TruIvory from BarS grips. Some who owned grips of TruIvory and real ivory said TruIvory was very difficult to tell from the genuine article.
Posted By: htredneck Re: Ivory Grips - 07/23/19
I am in the process of fitting these to my third gen SAA...
Bone is a whole lot cheaper than ivory!

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by htredneck
I am in the process of fitting these to my third gen SAA...
Bone is a whole lot cheaper than ivory!

[Linked Image]

And, looks good.

Here's a S&W 1989 edition, Model 25 .45 Colt.

Elk works well.

DF

[Linked Image]
Posted By: watch4bear Re: Ivory Grips - 07/23/19
Since Obama dick head, made ivory a problem, I've went to dall sheep horn

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Those are really nice!

DF
© 24hourcampfire