Home
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Ford's Peeling Paint - 07/27/19
Anybody else experiencing this? https://www.facebook.com/groups/fordpeelingpaint/

Our 2015 Explorer has paint peeling off the lip of the hood both outside and inside from the corroded aluminum. Ford won't do a frickin' thing about it. By the looks of the FB page, for anybody. One and done on Ford. Never again. I checked a co-workers 2013 Explorer and hers is doing the same thing, which she had no idea about because her hood protector was covering it up.
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Ford's Peeling Paint - 07/27/19
Grease worms!
Posted By: kennyd Re: Ford's Peeling Paint - 07/27/19
My 98 has the same. Chevy redid a car for us 20 years or so ago. I have seen dodges, gm, and ford all that way. Supposed to be something about water based paint
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Ford's Peeling Paint - 07/27/19
Originally Posted by kennyd
My 98 has the same. Chevy redid a car for us 20 years or so ago. I have seen dodges, gm, and ford all that way. Supposed to be something about water based paint

Here's what Ford attributed aluminum corrosion to in one of their previous TSBs on the issue.

Originally Posted by Ford TSB 06-25-15
Ford’s Scientific Research Laboratory has performed a number of tests on vehicle body parts returned for corrosion related concerns. Testing has revealed that the aluminum corrosion was caused by iron particles working their way into the aluminum body part, prior to it being painted.
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: Ford's Peeling Paint - 07/27/19
I had a similar problem with my 1986 Merkur XR4ti's double rear spoiler.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Ford's Peeling Paint - 07/27/19
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by kennyd

Here's what Ford attributed aluminum corrosion to in one of their previous TSBs on the issue.

Originally Posted by Ford TSB 06-25-15
Ford’s Scientific Research Laboratory has performed a number of tests on vehicle body parts returned for corrosion related concerns. Testing has revealed that the aluminum corrosion was caused by iron particles working their way into the aluminum body part, prior to it being painted.

They need to turn that TSB into a recall. Perhaps not enough vehicles are impacted?

You can always have the repair done, and sue Ford...

I did that with a Case tractor issue that had a service bulletin. Won too. Despite them sending a team of lawyers. smile

Kinda hard for them to deny that they know of the defect when you enter the service bulletin into evidence... wink
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Ford's Peeling Paint - 07/27/19

How about when the tops of the front fenders of vehicles manufactured by all the major US automakers used to rust through in the 1970’s?
Posted By: Whiptail Re: Ford's Peeling Paint - 07/27/19

My 03 Toyota's paint is peeling off and faded. It's not just Ford.
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Ford's Peeling Paint - 07/27/19
Probably changed primer suppliers to save a few pennies.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Ford's Peeling Paint - 07/28/19
Most likely atmospheric conditions when it was painted. Heavy polluted area and not enough time prepping and priming it. There is an older Silverado,Suburban model year that its tough not finding a peeling paint job as well. I thought Fords were pretty well painted.

Ford should absolutely fix the issue .
Posted By: ChuckKY Re: Ford's Peeling Paint - 07/28/19
Two guys I work with have late model F150s, I think 2015 and 2017. Both have paint flaking on the hoods. They say Ford is aware of this, but for some reason they aren't getting much help from the dealer. They think a combination of aluminum hood and slamming hood shut versing pushing doors closed. I'll stick to my steel bodied 2018 Chevy I believe until Detriot figures out how to make aluminum bodied vehicles more durable.
Posted By: Dess Re: Ford's Peeling Paint - 07/28/19
Parents had a '76 Ford Granada POS with a peeling vinyl roof. Between the paint and the roof, the thing looked like it was molting.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Ford's Peeling Paint - 07/28/19
Originally Posted by Pat85
Probably changed primer suppliers to save a few pennies.

this
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Ford's Peeling Paint - 07/29/19
One little chip under the lip on my wife's 2011 model.

No bubbling or any other signs of chipping. Knock on wood....
Posted By: hanco Re: Ford's Peeling Paint - 07/29/19
Chevy has big trouble with white!
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Ford's Peeling Paint - 07/29/19
Originally Posted by hanco

Detroit has big trouble with black.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Ford's Peeling Paint - 07/29/19

And silver.
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Ford's Peeling Paint - 07/29/19
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

Detroit has big trouble with black.

[Linked Image]
I was trying to get real info but.....
Well, he could Krylon it but not fancy enough for Billings proper....
Thanks for trying, Sam.
Would Krylon or Cerakote be better?
Dude, hope you get it worked out.

Chit like that is just annoying.
Thanks Sam. Will likely replace the hood as long as the body shop can assure that it's unlikely to happen again. Then maybe do the small claims court route that rockinbbar suggested.
Would Krylon or Cerakote be better?

Krylon, unless a bigger oven is possible then Cerakote forsure. Graphite Black?
Appropriate colored Gorilla tape for body work around here.
Posted By: Mike_S Re: Ford's Peeling Paint - 07/30/19
Kind of reminiscent of the paint problems of the F150 and Broncos of the 80s and early 90s. The paint on my 91 Eddie Baur Bronco was coming off my hood and the tailgate rusted out in 92. Ford painted my truck and replaced the rusty tailgate then for zip.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Ford's Peeling Paint - 07/30/19
Not to mention the paint problems GM had in the '80s.... Delamination ran rampant back then...
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Ford's Peeling Paint - 07/30/19
I had a '70 Dodge Charger (Plum Crazy) on which the hood's paint peeled completely off. It was purchased new, and Chrysler graciously consented to provide the paint to fix it as long as I paid the labor.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Ford's Peeling Paint - 07/30/19
FOrd probably has to treat the bare aluminum with a prep of some sort to remove oxidation. If they don't do the job completely then the primer won't stick correctly .
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Ford's Peeling Paint - 07/30/19
Originally Posted by Redneck
Not to mention the paint problems GM had in the '80s.... Delamination ran rampant back then...

Yeah, it was caused by that crappy black primer they used.

I don't think they fix many either...
Posted By: TheKid Re: Ford's Peeling Paint - 07/30/19
About 1990 the wildlife department here decided to get some Dodge Power Rams to replace their Chevys. In about a year the fleet had went from green or white to gray as the paint peeled off.

Dad bought a new 1988 F150 in dark blue. Within a year or so the whole top of the truck was faded and it was starting to peel. The dealer painted the top half and did a horrible job trying to blend it, came back two tone. He squawked and they repainted the whole thing on the house. His buddy had a maroon one bought at the same time and place that never had an issue.

Late 80’s early 90’s was a bad time for factory paint jobs.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Ford's Peeling Paint - 07/30/19
Originally Posted by TheKid
About 1990 the wildlife department here decided to get some Dodge Power Rams to replace their Chevys. In about a year the fleet had went from green or white to gray as the paint peeled off.

Dad bought a new 1988 F150 in dark blue. Within a year or so the whole top of the truck was faded and it was starting to peel. The dealer painted the top half and did a horrible job trying to blend it, came back two tone. He squawked and they repainted the whole thing on the house. His buddy had a maroon one bought at the same time and place that never had an issue.

Late 80’s early 90’s was a bad time for factory paint jobs.

Clear coat paint solved a lot of those issues.

I still have to deal with non-clear coat on my tractors... Clear coat is MUCH better as far as weathering and the elements.

You'd think the tractor manufacturers would figure that out too.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Ford's Peeling Paint - 07/30/19
I bought a used one owner 95 Ford F150 that Ford had paid to have repainted[completely].
Posted By: tzone Re: Ford's Peeling Paint - 07/30/19
Originally Posted by ChuckKY
Two guys I work with have late model F150s, I think 2015 and 2017. Both have paint flaking on the hoods. They say Ford is aware of this, but for some reason they aren't getting much help from the dealer. They think a combination of aluminum hood and slamming hood shut versing pushing doors closed. I'll stick to my steel bodied 2018 Chevy I believe until Detriot figures out how to make aluminum bodied vehicles more durable.

I got news for you...if you have later model chevy or ram/dodge, you also have an aluminium hood.

Truck Hoods

Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Ford's Peeling Paint - 07/30/19
Originally Posted by tzone

I got news for you...if you have later model chevy or ram/dodge, you also have an aluminium hood.

+1
Posted By: Greyghost Re: Ford's Peeling Paint - 07/30/19
Its the clear coat wearing down, most paints today are just thin layers of a flat base coat and then multiple layers of clear coat. Nothing like what it use to be, What use to be the best for aluminum body trucks "Dupont Imron" isn't even legal anymore in some areas and or requires a lot of protective gear and resources to apply properly which makes it an expensive job.

Phil
Posted By: smarquez Re: Ford's Peeling Paint - 07/30/19
Is it the clear coat peeling? I have a white 2000 F250 and the only paint flaws in mine are the ones I put in it. This truck has never been garaged either.
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Ford's Peeling Paint - 07/30/19
If you go to the link I posted you'll see pictures of what's going on. It's from the aluminum corroding.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Ford's Peeling Paint - 07/30/19

I went there but soon lost interest hen I saw this. Hope you have found a solution?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/321743355181332/
Posted By: ChuckKY Re: Ford's Peeling Paint - 07/30/19
Originally Posted by tzone

Truck Hoods

Well I guess Chevy has got the paint thing figured out, maybe Ford will sooner or later.
© 24hourcampfire