Home
I weren't aware of these things until I seen advertised by the Harley shop in Billings, apparently the Jeep people ain't happy.

A diesel-powered Wyllis knock-off, not street-legal but maybe like places in rural Montana where I seen ATV's on the streets....

https://www.motortrend.com/news/jeep-tries-keep-mahindra-roxor-u-s/

A pity they ain't street-legal, these things could pick up where the Suzuki Samurai left off.
Dealer here got many in stock.

Checked them out...

They weigh too much to be useful as a UTV to me. Neat, in a rich, big ranch sort of way.

I asked about the street legality of them. Salesman said all they needed was a turn signal and brake light kit.
What do they cost ???
Reminds me of my old 1942 Ford GPW. Except new.
I can buy a good 4x4 truck or a real jeep for 15k.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
What do they cost ???

$15,500 Cheaper than a Jeep, but they ain't just giving them away either....

https://carbuzz.com/news/mahindra-roxor-is-one-bad-ass-mini-jeep-but-there-s-a-catch
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
What do they cost ???

$15,500 Cheaper than a Jeep, but they ain't just giving them away either....

https://carbuzz.com/news/mahindra-roxor-is-one-bad-ass-mini-jeep-but-there-s-a-catch

Cheaper than a new Jeep, sure. But you can buy one heck of a nice used Jeep for $15K.
Originally Posted by JP_Lucas
I can buy a good 4x4 truck or a real jeep for 15k.

Yep. With a/c, heater, and a radio. 🤠
They have governors that limit them to 45 mph. But it doesn't seem to be much trouble to bypass it. There's also a couple of places that will do what's necessary to make them street legal.
Originally Posted by Bristoe
They have governors that limit them to 45 mph. But it doesn't seem to be much trouble to bypass it. There's also a couple of places that will do what's necessary to make them street legal.

Salesman told me they will run 75+ mph... Easy fix.
So far Fiat-Chrysler has filed a complaint......... Which will soon become a law suit and then we'll have to wait and see what happens with the law suit. As soon as I saw that photo of it, all I could think of is "Lawsuit"...... Even if it IS just a side by side.
I weren't aware of these things until I seen advertised by the Harley shop in Billings, apparently the Jeep people ain't happy.

A diesel-powered Wyllis knock-off, not street-legal but maybe like places in rural Montana where I seen ATV's on the streets....

https://www.motortrend.com/news/jeep-tries-keep-mahindra-roxor-u-s/

A pity they ain't street-legal, these things could pick up where the Suzuki Samurai left off.

They are street legal in MT..you can plate anything here including fourwheelers, side by sides and motocross bikes.
An obvious analogy are Royal Enfield Motorcycles, built on the original British tooling in India and sold here for some decades now.

https://www.royalenfield.com/us/en/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI35aHpLnY4wIVE77ACh1TmACwEAAYASAAEgKgK_D_BwE

Proven to be pretty neat toys but not up to the reliability/durability standards of the major Japanese or US brands.

I dunno where the Roxor falls in this respect, tho their tractors seem OK.
An obvious analogy are Royal Enfield Motorcycles, built on the original British tooling in India and sold here for some decades now.

https://www.royalenfield.com/us/en/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI35aHpLnY4wIVE77ACh1TmACwEAAYASAAEgKgK_D_BwE

Proven to be pretty neat toys but not up to the reliability/durability standards of the major Japanese or US brands.

I dunno where the Roxor falls in this respect, tho their tractors seem OK.

Just got my second Mahindra. Traded in the first one that was 7 years old. Never had it in the shop for repairs in that 7 years.

Me likkee this new one. It's a beast! smile

[Linked Image]
Mahindra sure seems like a good name anymore. And no extra premium for the green or blue paint color.
I'll take the old green paint any day of the week!

That and a Honda Pioneer or Polaris Ranger for off road travel.

The Pioneers are TOUGHER than hell.
Hunted out of a Mahindra in Namibia several weeks. Nothing fancy but very reliable according to the owners.

[Linked Image]
Ever wondered why there was no CJ-4? There was but only 1 was ever built. It's hood and front fenders were sort of both CJ3 and CJ5. Jeep developed it but sold the rights to Mahindra so they could go ahead with the CJ-5. Mahindra changed the name to Mahindra Jeep and sold hundreds of thousands all over the world, except in the US. Jeep put Mahindra in the 4x4 business. It looks like it's coming back to bite them.

this is the only one ever built:
[Linked Image]
A side by side, with a Jeep look.
I beat the hell out of a couple CJ5's.
Dunno if my spine could tolerate it.
With the garage finally cleaned out.......have room to store a beater.
Thinking spray bomb and run 33's, no top. Just add new seats.
Like to find a 6cl 4 speed.
So far only ragged out 3 speeds.

Off to craigslist to check.
Had one not bad, motor gone, for 1500.
Surprisingly good tub.
It would have to be much cheaper and at least as good as a Toyota Landcruiser for me to try a Mahindra, especially in a guiding outfit in Africa.

As for the Roxor, I don't see the role. If it was street legal, maybe, but off road, I think a side by side would be better.

Wonder if it isn't street legal (in addition to the lighting issues) because the diesel doesn't pass US emissions standards?
They are pretty cool looking!
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Ever wondered why there was no CJ-4? There was but only 1 was ever built. It's hood and front fenders were sort of both CJ3 and CJ5. Jeep developed it but sold the rights to Mahindra so they could go ahead with the CJ-5. Mahindra changed the name to Mahindra Jeep and sold hundreds of thousands all over the world, except in the US. Jeep put Mahindra in the 4x4 business. It looks like it's coming back to bite them.

this is the only one ever built:
[Linked Image]

Mahindra was first licensed in 1947.

Why Manindra can build 'Jeeps'

Cool little trucks. Read a little about them some time back and making them street legal is apparently doable and not that expensive.
Mahindra has had a license to build jeeps for decades, I think Chrysler/Fiat will probably lose this suit.
Looks like the jeep was back before all of the plastic and modern doohickeys got put in.

Like the Landcrusier of old before they made them into a luxury car.
Originally Posted by plainsman456

They are doing the same thing to modern tractors.

And side by sides. I want a NorthStar edition Ranger.
Looks a lot like the new Jeep pickup I saw today. US version has better paint, etc.. but body style very similar
Wouldn’t take much to make that thing road worthy, every kid around here would have one.
Originally Posted by 16bore
Wouldn’t take much to make that thing road worthy, every kid around here would have one.

One example...After marketers are abundant it seems at a glance

Making Roxor legal
Predictable. They start out with little 1x2 and expand to 4 wheels then to make them better they make them bigger and bigger until they get to the size of the 4x4 vehicles they were supposed to replace and are now as big and greater as my Toyota Tacoma 4x4 but can't be run down the hwy at 80 mph.

And the selling point, they just aren't street legal. That makes them a deal.

Sheesh.
Funny. I just saw one at Rexburg Motorsports next to the side by sides. I laughed out loud. I've been saying for awhile that the big sxs's have more in common with jeeps than atv's. The big ones are not legal on anything where a Jeep can't go but then owners have to spend thousands adding windscreens, doors, heaters, music players, etc. They are bad-a though. It looks like the market has come full circle.
I’d love to see Mahindra rip off the old Toyota truck. Plop a little diesel in it and list it under $20k.

It’d be the only compact pickup on the market.
The Roxor is not small. Basically it's nearly a CJ-7 pan on them. I've sat in one but not driven it.

I would've really had to think hard about purchasing one if they'd been on the market when I bought my '17 Kawasaki Teryx and also already having an '05 Jeep Rubicon LJ. They're pretty cool and up gradable.
I took my Rubicon in to the dealer a week ago, over the phone they asked me gas or diesel?
I asked them if they make a diesel jeep, they said yes. Not sure if its a jeep or Cherokee.
Guess they do.

https://suv2019.com/2019-jeep-wrangler-diesel/
If you read about them, they are more "Jeep" than the current Wranglers, and Mahindra started building them in 1947.. They are built from the original plans licensed by Jeep, circa 1947. I didn't even know Mahindra existed until they started selling tractors. I'd love to buy one if they ever are able to make one version that is road worthy. Nearly a ton (with all the bells and whistles) would require a car hauler trailer and a stout truck to pull it on a hunting trip.
Originally Posted by 16bore
Hang all the lights, etc. on it and it still won't be legal until it can pass federal safety regulations. You know, the crash tests and all that, not to mention the EPA's emissions tests. A car has to endure a lot of poking and prodding before it's allowed on the road. Quite likely this one isn't street legal because it can't pass any of that. If it could, they'd be pushing it for the street.
I would like the engine for my old cj5. I'm not sure if my state would license them for the road. If they don't come with a DMV title, making them road legal wouldn't help get them plates. I'm sure other states are the same!
Who is in the market for new airplane?

Mahindra makes those too... grin

https://www.mahindraaerospace.com/

[Linked Image]
Mahindra is a very big company. I first heard of them 20 years ago when we hired an Indian who worked in their IT department and they were listed on his resume. They are a very well run company.
They're the world's biggest maker of small tractors. It's just been in the last 20 or 30 years that they've moved into the US market.
For 12K you can buy this one.... grin wink
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Originally Posted by plainsman456

They are doing the same thing to modern tractors.

And side by sides. I want a NorthStar edition Ranger.

It's only 25k, Hosseinda.......

Sell some hayburners and crank up that cool, cool a/c.

Slave

P.S. This is a very true story.
My buddy was trading Rangers and was on track for the North Star......
He ended up with a Roxor. Said it was a lot cheaper......
Then he started adding the shĂ­t it didn't have (cab, winch, signals, steps to get in) he's close to the ranger price with no a/c and 55 mph governor. That turbo diesel is kinda sweet, though, if you are a Kubota Rtv type o' guy.
Saw an old farmer in one last week at the local drive through. They must have a seatbelt minder since his was buckled behind him across the seat. No idea what the GVW is but it must be enough for 11 1/2 Coors Lights since that’s what was left of his 12 pack when he pulled out of the driveway.

A city issued sticker for annual registration allows ATV/UTV/dirt bikes to be ridden on the road around here. See lots of Rangers, Razors, Pioneers, and mini trucks cruising the county roads, “checking cattle”.
This article says they're in contention for a contract with the US Postal Service. It's dated March 11, 2019. If that's the case, they'll have to make them entirely street legal, including the crash and emission tests. It says they want to make them less expensive but not cheap.
STREET LEGAL
© 24hourcampfire