Home
Posted By: renegade50 Sept 1 Dove season - 08/02/19
Fugging A!!!!
Coming up fast.
Posted By: fuzzytail Re: Sept 1 Dove season - 08/02/19
[Linked Image] This was a month ago! We should mow a few rows here in a week or so! Looking forward to a few good shoots!
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Sept 1 Dove season - 08/02/19
Yes, I can't wait!
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Sept 1 Dove season - 08/02/19
Gawd I love watching gravity happen shooting em.
Just like squirrel hunting.

Gravity.....
Originally Posted by fuzzytail
[Linked Image] This was a month ago! We should mow a few rows here in a week or so! Looking forward to a few good shoots!

Gawd!!!!
We planted 6 acres and right in the middle of 600 acres of corn fields Small watering hole next to sunflowers with what we call reject around pond Comes from PCS Phosphate Corp. Lots of small rocks and gravel.
Me and slumlord have always talked about putting in a plot .
But never have.
Some pretty good shooting last year on ft Campbell in the plot in area 21.
Some good twra leased feilds around also
Cut corn and sown winter wheat.

Biggest thing is having shade also.
Sun will wear your azz out big time.

The corn feilds on ftcky when they get cut are really good also
Area 6 and 2 are really good. Big ole high tension power lines going across em. Only problem is very few hunt em so keeping the birds moving can be a problem.
Posted By: hanco Re: Sept 1 Dove season - 08/02/19
Bow season is a month after!
Best time of the year coming up fast.
Squirrel, dove , long ass deer season from last week of september till end of 1st week in january.

Summer sucks.....
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Sept 1 Dove season - 08/02/19
We had our annual opening day meeting last night. Everyone’s getting pumped. Millet, sunflowers and corn in the area.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Sept 1 Dove season - 08/02/19
I rejoined my local trap and skeet club after 10+ years of not competing... so I’d be back in shape for hunting this year, especially those little liver-snap missles we call dove ..

smile
We have been putting up a fake power line for two years now and not got it done yet. And Hanco you don't have enough blood to bow hunt here. State bird is the MOSQUITO...…………. Guys from Tenn and Texas would laugh at the smaller bucks we have here. 115" is a good one...…….
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
I rejoined my local trap and skeet club after 10+ years of not competing... so I’d be back in shape for hunting this year, especially those little liver-snap missles we call dove ..

smile

Amazing some of the maneuvers they can pull.
Originally Posted by fuzzytail
We have been putting up a fake power line for two years now and not got it done yet. And Hanco you don't have enough blood to bow hunt here. State bird is the MOSQUITO...…………. Guys from Tenn and Texas would laugh at the smaller bucks we have here. 115" is a good one...…….

Coastal tidal area?
Yes sir, I live on the Bay River right off the Pamlico Sound.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Sept 1 Dove season - 08/02/19
Need to go hit up a few rounds of 5-Stand. Maybe will see the World's Oldest Man.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Sept 1 Dove season - 08/02/19
I have a six acre food plot, strips of sunflowers and millet. Will mow much of it about Aug 20. This is in west central Ks.
Sure hope there are doves.
Last year was the worst dove hunting I’ve seen in 40 plus years shooting them.
Posted By: 79S Re: Sept 1 Dove season - 08/02/19
Originally Posted by renegade50
Gawd I love watching gravity happen shooting em.
Just like squirrel hunting.

Gravity.....

What kind of gravy we talking about?
Posted By: sidepass Re: Sept 1 Dove season - 08/02/19
Had shoulder surgery June 6th and hoping for the best. Having visions of wearing a heavy jacket in 100 degree weather to soften the recoil. My favorite dove gun is my 20 gauge Ugartechea SxS with no pad. Might have to shoot the Beretta 391 in 12 to make a comfortable go of it. Those buzz bombs coming out of the almonds are so much fun.
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Sept 1 Dove season - 08/02/19
If there's anything more fun than hunting jackrabbits (when they're plentiful), it's shooting dove.

Lost my year-around lease almost a year ago and really missed deer last last fall, but dove...not so much. Used to have excellent dove hunting out that way but it SUCKED the last three years.

The good news is my hunting partner got us on a new dove lease for the fall. That mat be all I get this fall, but if it's good hunting I'll dig it.
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Sept 1 Dove season - 08/02/19
On thing I've figured out about opening day of dove season,.. It's hit or miss...
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Sept 1 Dove season - 08/02/19
Mostly miss, I think. Still fun though.
Posted By: sidepass Re: Sept 1 Dove season - 08/02/19
Not sure where I read it but according to the article the shell per bird average is 7 to 1. Now I know I've never had that bad of an average.

A project upland article was the source .
We got 4 hunts out of ours last year and then Florence put 2 foot of water on it and winds at hurricane force blew over. A lot of work down the drain. We are 410 or 28 gauge only. I have finally got the younger ones to believe they can do as well with smaller gauges. 40 shell limit . We hunt early and get out so they can feed.
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Sept 1 Dove season - 08/02/19
Dove opener used to be a big social event in western Pennsylvania when I was growing up. Grab a comfortable folding chair, a case of 20 gauge 71/2's, a couple decoys and go find a spot with a tall tree on a field edge or fence row somewhere. Fun times and great memories.
Posted By: nemotheangler Re: Sept 1 Dove season - 08/02/19
Take my boys out of school for it when it falls on a weekday. Always a fun day and I consider it a personal holiday.
2 yrs ago I was on a 40 acre twra sown wheat feild.
Remnants of a hurricane on opener.
Wind, rain, low clouds.
Only about 6 of us fools out their in that.
Birds coming in with the wind flying low and fast
I got 4 that day.....
Birds had frigging jato packs on their tails.
I swear to god some of those birds were doing 35 - 45 mph.
The ones I knocked down I musta had 7 or 8 ft of lead on em.
Coming outta this terrian swell from the tree line and corn feilds .
Be like a 2 or 3 second reaction time on em.
Birds all afternoon.
Kinda hope that feild is available again, it wasnt last year.
I hit it the next morning and got 8 and seen their fly patterns.

If that is open and I check it out a day or 2 prior and it has alot of birds on it . Then I might consider that spot for opener insted of on ft Campbell, but post was really good last year also and the wildlife crew said they was gonna make alot of improvements on it for this year.
Me and slumlord probably lost about 7 or 8 birds that day with momentum carrying shot birds from the feild into chest high brush and briars along a creek bed about 40 yards in width It got to the point where we wouldnt shoot at birds flying along that creek bed
One guy had a dog and he found 2 for us.
I found 2 others myself in tick and chigger city.

But I told him to stop sending his dog out
Wasting his time hunting, dog in the briars, and flaring off birds.
I think they Bush hogged that creek bed , alot of guys couldnt recover birds in it.
Posted By: There_Ya_Go Re: Sept 1 Dove season - 08/02/19
Unfortunately, September 1 falls on Sunday this year, so the season opens on Labor Day Monday, September 2. I hate it when that happens. I hope to be hunting over a melon patch that day. Lots of corn this year and if the harvest starts early the birds get scattered. I have seen lots of doves on the power wires along the road into my place, so hopefully there will be plenty to go around.
© 24hourcampfire