Home
Posted By: gunzo Vodka - 08/04/19
I have a middle grade I like that's not too harsh for Bloody Mary's & such, Then I keep a better grade, smoother for the not so overwhelming mixers.

Yours?
Posted By: fuzzytail Re: Vodka - 08/04/19
Kirklands brand
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Vodka - 08/04/19
Stoli or Ketel One was always plenty good enough for me.

Talking shots man.

Posted By: fuzzytail Re: Vodka - 08/04/19
[Linked Image]host images
Posted By: Wannabebwana Re: Vodka - 08/04/19
Doubt you can find it there but this, bar none, is the best ever. Ice-cold and straight, its as smooth as butter.

https://www.beattiesdistillers.com/
Posted By: Squidge Re: Vodka - 08/04/19
Originally Posted by fuzzytail
Kirklands brand

Kirkland French
Posted By: slumlord Re: Vodka - 08/04/19
Tito's

But I don't drink bloody marys *gag*
Tito's is rumored to be the best bang for the buck by far.
Posted By: viking Re: Vodka - 08/04/19
Tito’s is form Austin, don’t catch the gay.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Vodka - 08/04/19
the pa liquor stores had titos for 8 bucks a bottle a few weeks ago. i had never had it so i bought a bottle and proceeded to drink it in two consecutive nights. quite good. went back last weekend and it was like 15 a bottle. next time i see it for 8 bucks, i'm buying a case.

i switch vodkas depending on whats cheapest in the mid grade. i don't like to spend more than 15 bucks a bottle if i can help it.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Vodka - 08/04/19
Originally Posted by viking
Tito’s is form Austin, don’t catch the gay.

No worries, I don't drink martinis either.

I did buy a green glass bottle of some bullchit cheap wine and poured that crap down the sink and filled that bottle back up with Tito's and took it on the cruise ship. Sealed up the screw cap down all nice and covert. grin

hell yeah
Posted By: rem141r Re: Vodka - 08/04/19
how much is a quart of titos down your way?
Posted By: hanco Re: Vodka - 08/04/19
Tito’s
Posted By: gunzo Re: Vodka - 08/04/19
Heard a lot of good talk on Kirkland, both American & imported.

Maybe ended a 5 year run with Teto's as Stoli is fighting back & usually cheaper. Seems as smooth or more, & imagined Tito's kicking my ass the next day a couple times. Not what a better Vodka is supposed to do. And it doesn't usually bother me.

The Beaties looks interesting. The only potato Vodka I've had was Chopin & chilled properly was awesome, but @ $37 a fifth, too rich for my blood.

Bloody Mary's? Mine are famous in Bourbon country. Well, down the road a mile or three.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Vodka - 08/04/19
http://www.southtexasdistillery.com/
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Vodka - 08/04/19
Ketel One is as good as Vodka gets.
Posted By: waterrat Re: Vodka - 08/04/19
I usually buy Smiroff just because of a 50year habit. Once we sent our buddy booze shopping in Kodiak, we got to Tonki Bay and opened box's to find 12 cases of Oly and 2 cases of Popov Vodka,, from our camp to get above the tree's took 50 minutes, there was 1 steep run thru some ledges we named Popov Hill. Needless to say Frenchie was never trusted on the liquor run after that!!
Posted By: K22 Re: Vodka - 08/04/19
Reyka Vodka from Iceland is what you want.
Posted By: night_owl Re: Vodka - 08/04/19
There's not much "nuance" between vodkas - It's either properly distilled or not.
Some of the cheap ones are very bad.
Originally Posted by night_owl
There's not much "nuance" between vodkas - It's either properly distilled or not.
Some of the cheap ones are very bad.

Good point. There lies the conundrum.

Some cheap ones can be way better than their price range.

Some expensive ones are fakes or fad.
Posted By: huntinaz Re: Vodka - 08/04/19
I like Chopin Potato for Vespers. Belvedere also pretty good. Zubrowka Zu is good by itself.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Vodka - 08/04/19
I used to drink Vodka on occasion. Now I can't really stand it. Makes me feel sick to my stomach in the morning.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Vodka - 08/04/19
Other liquors I can tell good from cheap. Vodka is just alcohol and water. Paying extra for vodka with a certain label just seems like a waste.
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
Other liquors I can tell good from cheap. Vodka is just alcohol and water. Paying extra for vodka with a certain label just seems like a waste.

No
Tanqueray vodka was good.
Some cheap vodka is poorly distilled; it will burn and give you a hangover.
Originally Posted by rem141r
the pa liquor stores had titos for 8 bucks a bottle a few weeks ago. i had never had it so i bought a bottle and proceeded to drink it in two consecutive nights. quite good. went back last weekend and it was like 15 a bottle. next time i see it for 8 bucks, i'm buying a case.

i switch vodkas depending on whats cheapest in the mid grade. i don't like to spend more than 15 bucks a bottle if i can help it.

I don't know about the entire state but Clarion, PA is about the golldamdest place on earth to try and buy alcohol. What a cluster fughk that is.

"Oh, you're going to have to go to "so and so" if you want beer"

Then you go to this weird ass warehouse place and it feels like your buying cocaine.
Originally Posted by Rooster7
I used to drink Vodka on occasion. Now I can't really stand it. Makes me feel sick to my stomach in the morning.

The across the board answer for this would be to drink a better Vodka. Hangovers vary, but many agree on the concept.

I don't know about the entire state but Clarion, PA is about the golldamdest place on earth to try and buy alcohol. What a cluster fughk that is.

"Oh, you're going to have to go "so and so" if you want beer"

Then you go to this weird ass warehouse place and it feels like your buying cocaine.

Rhode Island is even more bizarre.
Posted By: Toddly Re: Vodka - 08/04/19
Grey Goose and Diet Cran-mango. I like to keep my figure.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Vodka - 08/04/19
Lewis and Clark.
Ain't enough blacks in WV to support a market for Grey Goose.
How many blacks would have to chip in for a bottle of Grey Goose?
Posted By: EdM Re: Vodka - 08/04/19
Sipping and enjoying Fris (with the two little dots over the i) as I type. No Costco liquor in Idaho.
Originally Posted by gunzo
How many blacks would have to chip in for a bottle of Grey Goose?

It depends on the limit on their EBT card.

Buy steaks,...sell steaks for 50%,....buy Grey Goose.

Drink,...hump fat woman,...repeat.

Your tax dollars at work.
Posted By: blanket Re: Vodka - 08/04/19
Polock Vodka if you really want to, but it is not a Martini unless it is Gin, Bombay Blue comes to mind

"Oh, you're going to have to go "so and so" if you want beer"

Rhode Island is even more bizarre.

*shudder*

No thanks. I like being able to go to a bar and having the waitress bring my off sale to the table before I leave and just adds it to the tab.
Where I live, the blacks drink fancy cognac mixed with Red Bull.
It's not bad.
It's not bad.

LMAO!
Clint Westwood in on the tube. They playin Modelo music. Anybody gonna have another Vodaka? Maybe I should haul my old ass to bed.
Clint Westwood in on the tube. They playin Modelo music. Anybody gonna have another Vodaka? Maybe I should haul my old ass to bed.

Nonsense. We have not yet begun to defile ourselves.
Just kidding. I'm hauling my old ass to bed.
Posted By: Fubarski Re: Vodka - 08/04/19
Vodka's suppose ta be etoh and water.

But none of it is.

It's all flavored, so taster variations will produce different favorites.

Just like any other liquor.
Dammit man, when you said you'd not begun yet, I mixed another. And... the freakin club soda is flat, cant waste a double shot, sufferin'.
Dammit man, when you said you'd not begun yet, I mixed another. And... the freakin club soda is flat, cant waste a double shot, sufferin'.

Put a Alka Seltzer in it.
The "Old Timer"

1.5 shots of vodka

2 tablespoons of Milk of Magnesia

1 Alka Seltzer,....over ice

Get everything relaxed,...belch 3 or 4 times,....finish off with a good bowel movement.

,...make a new man out of ya.
I always miss out on the good stuff, I take a script acid reflux pill & there's not an Alka Seltzer or spoon of M o M in the house. Bowel movements are in the late AM.... hopefully.

Hey! you started it.
Posted By: CRS Re: Vodka - 08/04/19
Never been a vodka fan, even the high end one's never did much for me.

I would much rather have gin than vodka.
Originally Posted by CRS

I've seen gin & tonic bars at dove shoots, must be something to it.
there's not an Alka Seltzer or spoon of M o M in the house.

Day-um,.........I don't know how ya get by.
Da script.

And an Amodium AD every now & then.
M o M day is a ritual for me. It takes a bit of planning, though.

You've got to allow for it,...and you need to have your memory working its "A" game.

If you forget and go to Tractor Supply or somewhere,..you're liable to make a scene.
Posted By: blanket Re: Vodka - 08/04/19
It's not bad.

you black?
This could be interesting.
Sorry Bistoe, had too many close calls in TS & Rite Aide, don't care to discuss them.
Originally Posted by blanket
It's not bad.

you black?

Not yet.
Posted By: Judman Re: Vodka - 08/04/19
I'll drink it all but goose and titos is my favorite
Posted By: Sasha_and_Abby Re: Vodka - 08/04/19
I just laugh at all the "Premium" liquors... 80% of them are ethanol produced by ADM, POET and Valero etal, that are then re packaged (read: marketing) or slightly filtered/flavored to alter their taste... Tito's is a prime example.

Ethanol is a commodity just like gasoline, FCOJ, pork bellies etc... different companies buy the raw product and put their labels on it.

Sadly, there are VERY FEW real liquor distillers anymore.
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Vodka - 08/04/19
My favorite comes from the pros in the Eastern Bloc.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: AKA_Spook Re: Vodka - 08/04/19
Originally Posted by K22
Reyka Vodka from Iceland is what you want.

This , Kettle One when Reyka isnt available. When I was in TX we used to drink Monopolowa from the freezer , not bad either.
Posted By: Riverhawk Re: Vodka - 08/04/19

Originally Posted by slumlord
Tito's

But I don't drink bloody marys *gag*

^^^this^^^

With an honorable mention to 44 North Huckleberry Vodka

haha sorry gunzo!

Hope you made it work!
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: Vodka - 08/04/19
No other type of liquor so signifies death than vodka. If you see excess bottles of cheap vodka laying around that person is going to die sometime soon, of course I am not talking about the people wantin* to make bloody Mary’s or recreational drinking. Don’t ask how I know this
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
I just laugh at all the "Premium" liquors... 80% of them are ethanol produced by ADM, POET and Valero etal, that are then re packaged (read: marketing) or slightly filtered/flavored to alter their taste... Tito's is a prime example.

Ethanol is a commodity just like gasoline, FCOJ, pork bellies etc... different companies buy the raw product and put their labels on it.

Sadly, there are VERY FEW real liquor distillers anymore.

I understand this is probably so. But take a sip of of Popov or Tovarski & compare it to Tito's, Grey Goose, etc., flavors of different brands aside, there will be quite a bit of difference in smoothness.

But according the real vodka drinkers, where the rubber meets the road is the quality & purity of the better vodkas don't produce brutal hangovers like some of the rot gut does. One friend insist on upper tier vodka even for mixers that would otherwise cover up the cheap stuff. She says it's all about not having a hangover.
Posted By: Borchardt Re: Vodka - 08/04/19
Obviously, you folks have never had Effen Vodka.

Fitty say its the best.
Posted By: EdM Re: Vodka - 08/04/19
When I worked/lived in Kazakhstan it was Russian Standard. Good stuff.
Posted By: CRS Re: Vodka - 08/04/19
Originally Posted by CRS

I've seen gin & tonic bars at dove shoots, must be something to it.

Gin just has more flavor than vodka, even the "flavored" ones.

Now, I have had some dang good moonshine. Just a touch powerful for me, a sip is all I need.
Posted By: chesterwy Re: Vodka - 08/04/19
For the price, it’s hard to beat the Costco Kirkland brands.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Vodka - 08/04/19
Tito's is the best for the money. For a good potato vodka Luksusowa Vodka, chilled straight it has a sweet taste, very good polish vodka.
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: Vodka - 08/04/19
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Tito's is rumored to be the best bang for the buck by far.

I am in the minority when it comes to Tito’s, it has an after taste to me that I don’t care for. We buy the Sams vodka or Svedka and it stays in the freezer. I like drinking Vodka as it doesn’t give me near the headache that bourbon does. I still drink bourbon but during the week if I want something hard it’s vodka.
Posted By: sparkman10mm Re: Vodka - 08/04/19
I recently tried Bison Grass..from Poland..
Unbelievably smooth & flavorful..
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Vodka - 08/04/19

Cosco's ..........Kirkland American

$14 jug.........not available in Utah

Must import from AZ or NV...... cry
Posted By: Bald1 Re: Vodka - 08/04/19
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Tito's is the best for the money. For a good potato vodka Luksusowa Vodka, chilled straight it has a sweet taste, very good polish vodka.

Spot on. Those are the only brands in our house.

As an aside no COSTCO around here so Kirklnads has never been sampled.
Posted By: wswolf Re: Vodka - 08/04/19
In my opinion:
Tito's is very good.

Van Gogh is hard to distinguish from Toto's and a buck cheaper around here.

Kirkland American is among the best but unavailable in the wilds of Montana.

Kirkland French is made at a distillery that used to make Grey Goose. Can't tell them apart.
Don't recall where I found the information about the distillery but it seemed authentic.

Russian Standard is very good. A friend who worked on Sakhalin Island said that it is what the Russians prefer.

Quicksilver made by Montgomery Distillery in Montana very good but expensive.

Cheers,
Walt
Posted By: efw Re: Vodka - 08/05/19
It’s been a long time since I’ve enjoyed vodka, but even so I am surprised no one has mentioned Stolichnaya... we always called it Stoli and I loved the stuff.
© 24hourcampfire