Home
Posted By: Gibby Rate your All Time 4WD vehicle. - 08/09/19
This has proved so far to be best I've used.

Full-time 4WD system with Active Traction Control (A-TRAC) and Torsen®58 limited-slip center differential with locking feature.

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/1e59/16df64c80cd903bdaf6f68d8b1bf93e8b033.pdf

With a design requirement of at least 300k miles.

Put your technical hat on.

Not like the good old days when you could lock your front hubs, But it works with limitations.
The one that I have personally used the most as far as a 4 WD vehicle, was a 1979 Ford F-150. It was my farm truck for a number of years, and I was pretty rough on it, and I was only stuck it one time. That time was when I backed off into a sinkhole and it was sitting on the frame.

It was the worst Ford I've ever owned, as far as breakdowns and such went, as it was a lemon from top to bottom, and front to back. But, that truck would go wherever I pointed it, and get you there. Now, having said that, I don't abuse trucks like that anymore, and have an ATV and a UTV to get me into places that I need to go that are a little hairy. So, maybe I've had some more that were just as good, but if I did, I certainly didn't use them enough to find out.
The old man had a 1977 dodge with full time 4wd, that was nice.
Originally Posted by Gibby
This has proved so far to be best I've used.

Full-time 4WD system with Active Traction Control (A-TRAC) and Torsen®58 limited-slip center differential with locking feature.

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/1e59/16df64c80cd903bdaf6f68d8b1bf93e8b033.pdf

With a design requirement of at least 300k miles.

Put your technical hat on.

Not like the good old days when you could lock your front hubs, But it works with limitations.

Only problem with mine, which is the above, is I have to pull a fuse to turn off the A-TRAC. That has caused a problem.
I still have my 2008 for the real dirty work. I bought the 2018 since I've had great luck with the LC's. Hopefully it will outlast me. The Toyota LC's are behind in all the Electronic stuff. I think it is on purpose. That is a good thing in my book.

Those switches that turn things off are handy sometimes.

That 5.7 moves the 6000 lbs. around pretty good. But it does like the petrol.

They both can get stuck in the mud.
I would love to own a LC one day...Hopefully will be able to get into one before they are forced to update it for MPG or emissions reasons.
Bought a Bronco new in 1969. Best off road vehicle I’ve owned. I’ve owned 6 jeeps a Scout and a number of Blazers, Suburbans. Plus several trucks. Wish had not sold that Bronco. But when the 1978 big Bronco came out I had to have one. Hasbeen
i wonder what performance a LC offers that is that much better than a 4th Gen Runner...don't know enough about 'em
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
Bought a Bronco new in 1969. Best off road vehicle I’ve owned. I’ve owned 6 jeeps a Scout and a number of Blazers, Suburbans. Plus several trucks. Wish had not sold that Bronco. But when the 1978 big Bronco came out I had to have one. Hasbeen

Those first Broncos were the ticket. Especially with the 302 motor. Best approach and decent angles around if I recall.
Originally Posted by sse
i wonder what performance a LC offers that is that much better than a 4th Gen Runner...don't know enough about 'em

Can't go wrong with either one.
Originally Posted by viking
The old man had a 1977 dodge with full time 4wd, that was nice.

I had a '78 that I put a lock out hub kit on. Used it for things it never should have been used for. But it kept working just like a Timex watch does.

I had a '74 with the 302 in it. Loved it, traded it in on a brand new '92 F250. Wish I still had both of those.

Those first Broncos were the ticket. Especially with the 302 motor. Best approach and decent angles around if I recall.

Agreed - that would be my first choice...

Edit to add - I've had / have a couple of '72 K10 SWB pickups with 4 speed manual transmissions that have done surprisingly well off road.
77 dodge power wagon with a 440
I've owned a couple early Broncos, plus Scouts, Blazers, 4wd trucks from Ford, Chevy, and Dodge. My 71 Bronco was/is the best of the bunch for off-road.
91 Eddy Bauer full-size Bronco for the places I go.
My 1998 Toyota 4Runner with manual transmission and locking differential has been great.
I had a 1991 Toyota 4x4 Xtracab pickup. Loved that truck. After 20 years, it needed significant engine work (rebuild) and the Federal Government had a plan to buy back old vehicles. They paid me more to scrap it than I could get selling it.
We had a LC FJ40 that was a tough 4x4 mechanically. Nothing ever broke on that rig. It needed a little work with suspension and differentials to be great.

My all time favorite hunting 4x4 was an extended cab GMC that would go nearly anywhere in sand or mud. It was also decent on the highway.
My current PU is the best I've had.
'06 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins Bighorn Edition long box, SRW with a Eaton Detroit Truetrac differential in the rear and a Eaton E-Locker up front.
Just turned 100k on the odometer. The truck does all my towing/ hunting/ fishing/ camping needs with good power, economy, and traction.
78 jeep honcho...the most capabable 4x4 pickup I have owned...that thing had the ability to go where fords and Chevys wouldn't...and couldn't.. I will add it was the least reliable truck I ever owned...I always said it will go further and deeper but may not get you back...

Just for nostalgia's sake, I'd love to have my old 1972 K-5 Blazer 350/4bbl/4speed with lockouts back.....
Either of these 2 !

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
i only borrowed two while i worked for uncle sam

a jeep 5/4 ton p/u and a dodge 3/4 ton truck

both were great

but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

i really loved my M151 jeep. shift on the fly 4 wheel drive, waterproof engine, four on the floor!
'76, 3/4T, short wheel base, 350, 4WD, Scottsdale Chevy. 3.73 gearing with a 4 speed manual tranny, but 1 st gear was a granny gear. Transfer case had 4 Hi, 4 Lo, 2 Hi, and 2 Lo. Best all round truck I ever had. When I latched it on to something, one of two things happened...... either I moved it, or all 4 wheels would dig down. Had 9.00X16's on it with lockouts and limited slip? differentials on the front and back. When it locked up, all 4 wheels would spin. Dual gas tanks and you needed them.... 8000 lb Warren winch on front.

The 92 Toyota 4WD I got now is better in the mud, but it can't do all the things that Chevy could.
Without a doubt. My late 70"s Toyota Land Cruiser
I have owned a: 65 GMC K2500 highboy w/ a 305 V6 and 3 on the tree, which I replaced with a four spd truck tranny, a 75 Dodge W2500 full time w/ 440 and auto, an 84 K5 Blazer w/ 305 and 4 spd manual, which I replaced with a 9.5 compression 350 w/ RV cam, an 83 Chevy K2500 6.2 diesel auto, an 82 Toyota 4x4 long bed PU with 22R and 5 speed manual,

All of these had manual hubs with the exception of the 75 Dodge. The 84 Blazer was the only one with AC. None had power any thing, but vacuum assisted brakes.

With auto hubs: a 96 Chevy extended cab long box w/ 5.7 and 5 speed manual, a 99 Chevy Blazer (S series) w/ 4.3 and auto, a 94 Toyota 4-Runner w/ 3.0 and auto, and Momma's 05 Durango with 5.7 Hemi and auto.

Maybe because it was my first HD pickup, and maybe because I share with my wife and kids so many wonderful memories of great times hauling wood from the hills, or hauling horses in the stock racks, or camping in the 12 foot overhead camper that came with the pickup, but that old 65 GMC is the most fondly remembered.

Put good chains on all four wheels and it would go anywhere in up to three feet of snow. Give it good traction and it would nearly climb a tree. It would go down the road well with 6000 lbs in the bed, or 16,000 lb on a trailer.

And it got 6 mpg going down the road empty at 50 mph, or loaded with a 12 foot c/o camper and horse trailer behind doing 70. It still got 6 mpg.

But truly the 82 Toyota PU was the best off road beater toy imaginable, as long as no work was on the menu.
The best overall off road I have owned was my 91 Toyota PU 4 cyl 4x4. It did need a limited slip or auto locking rear end once. On road the Rav4 we had was great. Too soon to tell about our Highlander.
The Honda CRV AWD system is awesome for basic traction. Actually, with any AWD Honda CRV, one should reasonably expect 250K+ if you follow the recommended maintenance schedule. No problem.
My current 4Runner is the latest of many that have served me well. I'm not a rock crawler but love being comfortable heading up rarely travelled 2 tracks in remote area. It is also comfortable and quiet at 80 mph on the interstate. But above all it is incredibly reliable. It is a 2018 TRD Offroad.

mike r
I have a '73 Bronco with 302, C4, 4.11's and open differentials. It can crawl around the Black Hills easily and is a joy to drive and a lot of fun.

In my experience, my Sierra 1500 is a much better vehicle in snow. And snow is where the vast vast majority of my 4wd time is occurring.
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Either of these 2 !

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You down under guys were lucky having those Diesels. But the straight six was a stump puller back then too.
All time what, best or worst.
My second vehicle purchase. $1550 in 1972. 1968 International Harvester Scout half-cab. 102 HP four-banger. (That was the big one; the small one was 88 HP.) Three-speed stick with two-speed manual transfer case. Get in. Loosen four 9/16" hex-head bolts (there were 8 or so, but I only used the ones in the corners). Stand up holding the half top over your head. Step over the seat into the bed. Walk it off the tailgate. Instant chick-magnet vehicle with bonus doghouse (until you need it back.) That was my answer to my buddies with their snobby Jeep CJ5s!
All time favorite was a 1982 F-150 shortbed with 4:10 gears, 4 speed, and 300 cubic inch six.
An old 74 International Scout!
'62 Land Cruiser. Thing would climb a tree if it could get traction
Originally Posted by jaguartx
All time what, best or worst.

All time favorite or All time 4WD. Does not matter . You choose. Could be both. Ha!

Worst is okay too.
'78 International Scout II...
Although my '98 Toyota T100 keeps impressing me
I had a '67 International Scout with a 4cyl that was tough as nails....just no power to pull anything up a bridge, Had a 76 FJ-40, which was great off road but a guy came along and offered way more then I paid, so...I let him have it...then got into the Jeep Cherokee's. Had 1984, 1987, 1990 and a 1992 all with the 4.0 and 4WD. I had great luck with the cherokee's off road, went through some stuff that a full size 4WD P/U had to back out of...the Jeep kinda stayed on top of the mess. When Dodge picked up the Jeep line, I moved on. My 4WD now is a Chevy Silverado 2500 HD with the Duramax. Don't have any plans to get too far off road as the weight would sink it before you could blink...it will pull the color off a house, though!
1948 Willys Jeep pickup truck, red with Texaco circle-logos on side doors.
4-wheel drive, 4-speed transmission / floor shift with high/low range,
Engine conversion to 1952 ford flat-head V-8. Top-end was 45 mph.

Traded it for a 1964 BSA 650 Hornet Scrambler Motorcycle.
Top end was 110+ mph.
For pure off roading, '82 Jeep CJ-7.

Period.

MM
1st gen Toyota, 79-83...
My favorite was my 1976 Bicentennial Edition Ford F150 4X4. 360 motor, 4 speed manual transmission. That sucker went everywhere I wanted to go and looked good doing it. It was all white with a light blue interior. I got married in 1980 and when our second child came along in 1983, I realized we'd outgrown that truck. I sold it and bought, of all things, a Chrysler mini van. Damn, I wish I had that truck now.....
.1977 Chevy half ton. Rebuilt a 327 with the 350 horse cam. Many springs it had a 60 ft field sprayer with 350 gallons of water. If it was wet it went into low lock third gear and never let off the throttle.. it’s still running to but I no longer own it. Never replaced any of the driveline. Abuse would be the correct term. Ed k
We have had seven over all. They all got used differently.
Originally Posted by Judman
1st gen Toyota, 79-83...

^^^^^^^this, traded my 83 off when it had 425K on, dumb thing to do.
I had a '55 Willys Pickup that you could pull stumps with....It would only go 50mph, but in 4wd it was a beast.....My buddy had a '45 Dodge Power wagon and it was a beast, too. Currently I have a Subaru Outback, and it is the best in the snow I've ever driven.
1961 GMC pickup 305 V-6 with a 4 speed, 2 speed transfer case and lots of torque. 30 quarts of coolant and 8 quarts of oil lots of leafs on the springs and as I recall 17 inch tires. It was a helluva truck.
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Either of these 2 !

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You down under guys were lucky having those Diesels. But the straight six was a stump puller back then too.

They are still popular here, both 'Cruisers and diesel. I've driven a fair few miles in diesel 'Cruisers, mainly Troopies (like the second one) though I haven't owned one. Several of my friends have, and we've gone on any number of hunting trips and such in them. They are very tough, will go anywhere, and are built to last. They are also pretty cumbersome, tend to be thirsty, and aren't so great on road. That said, if you want to go well off the beaten track there's not much to beat them.

I had one in the Northern Territory with my wife for a few weeks of mooching about once, going to all sorts of remote spots down some pretty approximate sorts of "roads". At one point, we came to a sign on the driver's side of the track saying something to the effect of "you are now heading into a really remote area, with no made roads and no one to help you. Only experienced drivers in well-prepared vehicles, with plenty of spares, fuel and water should proceed past this point. Make sure someone knows where you are going and when to expect you". Given that in order to get there we'd already been an hour or so off the sealed road, down a pretty rough track, across a river crossing and over several sand ridges, this did give me a moment, but I did a quick mental inventory and decided "yeah, we'll be fine", and kept going, and went through some spectacularly wild and primitive country. I had no reason to doubt the Troopy, and it never missed a beat.

For all around use though, I prefer something a bit more civilised. My daily drive is a Mitsubishi Pajero (I think they call them "Montero" in the US). The current one is my fourth, and it too is a turbo-diesel. It is comfortable, roomy, runs and handles well on road, is economical on fuel, has plenty of power and with its low-range, locking diffs at centre and rear and good ground clearance, it goes anywhere I want to go, whether rocky trails, mud, beach driving or whatever.
1978 FJ-40 toyota land cruiser.
[Linked Image]
Tacoma
Toughest. My 1968 IH Scout bought during the summer of 1976 after HS graduation. It had been special ordered locally by a surveyor. It had dual fuel tanks, which it needed with the 392 V8 under the hood. It got about 6-7 mpg. I have no idea what the gearing was, but it was low in 1st gear. I pulled my uncles unloaded 30,000 lb semi out when he got it stuck. The skid plate started at the front axle from frame rail to frame rail and extended past the transmission with an opening to reach the oil drain plug. It was slick on the bottom. It had been set up with a hand throttle like on a tractor. Set the rpm and let out on the clutch. None of the window guts worked. The interior door panels were gone and a 2X4 cut to the right length held the window up. To roll the windows down you removed the 2x4. It leaded so bad the previous owner drilled drain holes in the floor for water to drain out. But it would go off road.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/14039396#Post14039396

#2 has to be the 2007 Tacoma in the driveway. It just rolled over on 200,000 miles and I've done virtually nothing but normal maintenance stuff on it other than an alternator. It went at about 170,000 and that should be considered normal.
Toughest, most capable was probably my ‘73 Toyota Land Cruiser. Most character was my ‘47 Willy’s Jeep. Most all around and comfortable, my current ride, ‘17 Tundra TRD Pro.
Originally Posted by JMR40
Toughest. My 1968 IH Scout bought during the summer of 1976 after HS graduation. It had been special ordered locally by a surveyor. It had dual fuel tanks, which it needed with the 392 V8 under the hood. It got about 6-7 mpg. I have no idea what the gearing was, but it was low in 1st gear. I pulled my uncles unloaded 30,000 lb semi out when he got it stuck. The skid plate started at the front axle from frame rail to frame rail and extended past the transmission with an opening to reach the oil drain plug. It was slick on the bottom. It had been set up with a hand throttle like on a tractor. Set the rpm and let out on the clutch. None of the window guts worked. The interior door panels were gone and a 2X4 cut to the right length held the window up. To roll the windows down you removed the 2x4. It leaded so bad the previous owner drilled drain holes in the floor for water to drain out. But it would go off road.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/14039396#Post14039396

#2 has to be the 2007 Tacoma in the driveway. It just rolled over on 200,000 miles and I've done virtually nothing but normal maintenance stuff on it other than an alternator. It went at about 170,000 and that should be considered normal.

We had an old Scout, I believe a 66. Posi front and rear. That thing could have climbed a telephone pole. As long as you didn't get the distributor wet, (spoken from the voice of experience) that thing would go through any mudhole you could throw at it. 'Drove it for three years and sold it to a guy who wanted it for the posi front and rear. He built a killer Jeep out of it.
I really liked my 2001 first generation Tundra. Nice size, super reliable, great power. It was a great hunting truck.
Dad had a '51 Willy's wagon when I was a kid. Gutless and like riding in an Amish buggy. But would go ANYWHERE in ANYTHING.

As far as vehicles I have owned.......for raw "go anywhere" I had an '87 F-150 XL that had limited slip front and rear. 302 auto with 31x10.5 mudders on it. It would spin it's way up a tree and slide down the back side. Unstoppable. But it was not much for power is comfort.

Have had 3 different GM Z-71's.......... An '03 Suburban..........'07 Sierra ext cab..........'09 Silverado ext cab. BFG Mud Terrains (the original KM) on all of them. If any of the 3 wouldn't take you there, you likely shouldn't be trying to GO there.
I have had a few which were very capable but for really rough going and deep snow there were two which stood out. The first is a 1962 Dodge Power wagon. Power is just a figure of speach here because it is powered by a 265ci flathead six which probably makes all of 95 horsepower. It is geared very low though and it is hard to stop. The pto winch will move the world if you can find a place to hook up. I've used it to skid logs, and to pull other vehicles out of some tough situations. I've driven it through three feet of water with a muddy bottom and once parked it in the middle of a sizeable stream running through our field during the spring flood so I could use it as support for a footbridge. I once broke through the ice with my '91 diesel and broke the front driveshaft trying to get out. I walked home (about six miles at minus 16, wearing only jeans and a flannel shirt) and went back up with the old PW and my wife. I drove through the hole past the '91, put my wife in the 91 to steer but told her to just leave it in neutral. I pulled the '91 out, removed the broken shaft, got it turned around, then drug it back through the water hole. After this, Sharon was able to drive it on home. The Power wagon would start at thirty below although it took a bit to get the gear oil warmed up enough to get it to move very fast.
The second stand out was also no powerhouse nor was it much to look at. This was a 1982 Lada Niva. This was a Russian Fiat SUV which I bought for 200 bucks. It barely ran but seemed to be otherwise sound. This was a full time 4wd with an open diff between front and rear but with a locker which could be engaged by pulling a lever next to the hi-lo lever. The engine was, IIRC, a 1200cc four. Might have been 1400cc. Anyway, I rebuilt the engine and it was back on the road. It had tall, skinny sixteen inch wheels and independent suspension. It rode well and kept its wheel on the ground in very rough going. At the same time that I had this, I also had a 1970 Bronco which was also a pretty good off-road rig. I once stuck the Bronco in the snow in a draw behind our place. My son drove the Niva straight over the bank to have a look then straight back up to go get some gear (come-along, hi-lift jack) and back down again. We unstuck the Bronco and I tried to follow the Niva out and couldn't even come close. While I flounder around in the Bronco, my son encouraged me my driving the stupid Niva in a circle around me while beeping the horn. Later Nivas looked similar but were not quite as good after being saddled with a bunch of safety equipment and emissions control. They also started fitting them with fatter fifteen inch wheels and tires and this just didn't work as well. I always thought, if a Japanese company had copied this vehicle. it would have been perfect. The suzuki Samurai was decent but not even close as far as comfort and ability went. When the Niva engine blew up we retired it but it remains one of the best snow vehicles I've had. Only the old Power Wagon could beat it and not by much. GD
I remember as a kid listening to the old folks talking about buying new Jeeps for $500.00. All you had to do was to take it out of the box and put it together. Don't know if that was true. Back in the fifties.
We had an old Scout, I believe a 66. Posi front and rear. That thing could have climbed a telephone pole. As long as you didn't get the distributor wet,

Ain't that the truth. It's been years since I owned it and I'd forgotten about that. Spash any water under the hood and it died. That was about the only thing that would stop it though. I bought the 12" wide, 33" tall tires for it and took it to a body shop to get the fenders cut so they would fit and the 1st thing they told me was that the 4 cyl wouldn't turn them. I just opened the hood and showed them the 392. With that much power in a small package I got a lot of calls to pull others out of mud holes back then.
If i could find a good Type F engine or a Type 2F i might get the 71 FJ-40 Landcrusier back up and on the road.

Up in the mountains of Colorado that sucker would just eat up the climb with that 6 cylinder and 4.11 gear axles.

Even when chunks started coming off the old tires it just would not stop.

Now i am still trying to find the scratch to get that 52 Willis PU.

It has the original engine and some of the largest,hardest tires that came from a mine in Colorado.

Won't go fast but it will get there.
We had an old Scout, I believe a 66. Posi front and rear. That thing could have climbed a telephone pole. As long as you didn't get the distributor wet,

Ain't that the truth. It's been years since I owned it and I'd forgotten about that. Spash any water under the hood and it died. That was about the only thing that would stop it though. I bought the 12" wide, 33" tall tires for it and took it to a body shop to get the fenders cut so they would fit and the 1st thing they told me was that the 4 cyl wouldn't turn them. I just opened the hood and showed them the 392. With that much power in a small package I got a lot of calls to pull others out of mud holes back then.

Yeah, I had one Jeep Wagoneer ('66) that would start to miss on a cloudy day and quit if I so much as pointed it at a mud puddle. A much newer YJ wasn't much better but grease and silicone helped. Another Wagoneer, a V-8, would actually show a blue ring on the hood, above the distributor, on a rainy night. Ran OK though. GD
Originally Posted by greydog

Yeah, I had one Jeep Wagoneer ('66) that would start to miss on a cloudy day and quit if I so much as pointed it at a mud puddle. A much newer YJ wasn't much better but grease and silicone helped. Another Wagoneer, a V-8, would actually show a blue ring on the hood, above the distributor, on a rainy night. Ran OK though. GD

The first Tesla model I see.
77 jeep wagoner with quadratrac.
Originally Posted by BKinSD
In my experience, my Sierra 1500 is a much better vehicle in snow. And snow is where the vast vast majority of my 4wd time is occurring.

Same reason I really like my current 2011 F250. Solid axels with a fair amount of frame clearance (all factory) and I keep good tires on it. Not nearly as nimble as a lot of the rigs mentioned here, but, so far that's not been an issue here in ND or anyplace I've hunted in MN, MT, WY, or AB. 7K # with a little running start will go through a LOT of snow.
Originally Posted by cra1948
Toughest, most capable was probably my ‘73 Toyota Land Cruiser. Most character was my ‘47 Willy’s Jeep. Most all around and comfortable, my current ride, ‘17 Tundra TRD Pro.

i have a 42ford"script" jeep, 44ford, 45willys, 48willyw 53M38a1, 10/72 fj40.
I would say those early jeeps and the cruiser went in the mud and up places where the newer vehicles were stuck.
the 10/ 72 has a later six cylinder engine, converted to 4speed, and other stuff done to it.
i get offers to sell them all the time, nope.
Originally Posted by plainsman456
If i could find a good Type F engine or a Type 2F i might get the 71 FJ-40 Landcrusier back up and on the road.

Up in the mountains of Colorado that sucker would just eat up the climb with that 6 cylinder and 4.11 gear axles.

Even when chunks started coming off the old tires it just would not stop.

Now i am still trying to find the scratch to get that 52 Willis PU.

It has the original engine and some of the largest,hardest tires that came from a mine in Colorado.

Won't go fast but it will get there.

you are a long ways from arizona, but have one sitting in my yard, came out of the 72fj40, with the three speed. replaced with a later engine and 4speed.
1979 Jeep CJ7 soft top with a 350. Had it back around ‘95.
Best as far , going in the rough stuff was a 1977 gmc jimmy. Chain drive tranny. It would climb anything. Camo’d totally, i would have a hard time finding when hunting in evenings.co-op tires i almost flipped it over backward a few times. Geared so low i hunted in the mountains with it for 2 weeks one year with no brakes at all.drove it 60 miles home like that.sold it to a budy and he hit a rock in a giant mud flat and broke the engine and transmission apart.
Originally Posted by srwshooter
Best as far , going in the rough stuff was a 1977 gmc jimmy.

Sold my 72 K-5 and bought a new 1978 K-5 with the full time 4WD. Ended up giving it a 4" lift. 35" tires, Holly, Edlebrock, tube bumpers, etc.

I still have the notebook that I documented everything in it. Sometimes I was down to 3 & 4 miles to the gallon.

Gas was cheap....full steam ahead......
Best Alaska hunting buggy.
[Linked Image]
4WD, articulating, and winch works on all sides.
Butch, is that homemade?
My son had a 1971 CJ5 with the gm v-6 (225?) it was a very good mud vehicle and decent in the snow. When he blew up the original engine, he replaced it with a 215ci aluminum Olds engine. This made a pretty neat rig in many respects but the engine wasn't as torquey as the v-6 and not as good in the mud. He replaced that with a gm 231 v-6 and that made it, once more, a great mud rig. None of the running gear remained original because the stock diffs and shafts were too fragile. The old Jeep was never a luxury ride but it could get around off-road. GD
Originally Posted by Judman
1st gen Toyota, 79-83...

Judman;
Good afternoon to you sir, I trust that the weekend treated you well and you and yours are fine.

Way, way back in the day I had the second 1980 4x4 Toyota pickup in the south valley here. Bought is slightly used in '81 and it still was a rare rig.

[Linked Image]

Here's an admittedly bad scan from a bad photo, but it was about this time of year as I recall, 1991 and it's South Moresby Island back when it was still known as the Queen Charlotte Islands - now Haida Quaii.

By that time it had a 22R installed into it, home welded rear bumper and front bumper/winch mount, 6000lb Warn, lots of extra lights and custom rear springs so it had better weight transfer.

We had a '99 F150 that might have out climbed the little Toyota, but only on days when it wasn't in the shop, waiting to go into the shop or just coming out of the shop so I was reluctant to use it.... wink

Our eldest daughter is the second owner of an '87 Cherokee with the little 2.5 liter and 5 speed which will pretty much climb up onto the garage when we get it running right... again though.... wink

[Linked Image]

Someday I've got to talk her out of it so I can begin to modify it the way it needs to be! She's married now, has a house their paying for and shouldn't be adding parts. I however..... grin

Anyway sir, in more than half a lifetime of not being without at least one 4x4 or AWD vehicle in the yard - had 3 in the yard for awhile - those are the two top picks.

All the best to you and your family as we head into fall and hunting once more.

Dwayne
I've owned a bunch of different 4X, but my tricked out 1968 Toyota Land Cruiser was my all-time favorite. It was one tough SOB. Not much of a highway vehicle, however.
All time favorite was my 62 Willy wagon! Would go most places, had an OR and pto winch! Sold to get something with better access for car seats! I've had three land cruisers, 68, 72 and purchased new 77. Good in mud sucked in deep snow without chains. Most miles on any 4x4 was a 1992 f150 with locker in the rearend. 289000. Most comfortable and very capable would be my existing 93 trooper! Locker on the back, better in the snow than most, not as good as a pickup with weight! I have kept dirt road miles log on the trooper. Purchased for $2500 used in 2008, with 98000. Has 170000 now with 47000 dirt road miles! Mileage are rounded on all I have listed. Only one I wished I would have kept was the 62 Willys. Trapping puts lots of dirt road miles on my rigs! What's the best, who knows!
Originally Posted by greydog

I had an old Wagoneer-bought it sitting in a farmer's field and it took a whole case of Raid to evict all the wasps before we could start working on it. 'Wasn't too bad of a reclamation actually. Needed brakes, and the previous owner had the plug wires all out of whack. Once we did the brakes, fixed the spark plug wire placement, and put a fan belt on it, it rand good for a couple years. Had that old straight six cyl. Pontiac 230 Tornado in it. Ran great as long as you didn't get moisture up by the distributor.'Wasn't as good of a mudder as the Scout, as it wasn't posi front and rear like the Scout was, but I got a couple good years out of it, and only ever hung it up once on a muddy logging road. 'Had to get a local farmer to tow me out with his old Minneapolis Moline.
My first truck, a 1979 1/2 ton Ford, 351 V8, 4 speed manual tranny, and 4.11 differential. Played with that for 4 years in SC coastal mud.
Originally Posted by kingston
Butch, is that homemade?

No sir, it was a surplus Geophysical vehicle that an old friend in Alaska used. Engine is a Wisconsin V4.
I bought new a '81 Diesel Toyota Pickup on a whim. I thought it was unique and wanted an economical errand vehicle to run to town for supplies (i am cheap). Two wheel drive. Standard rear axle. Anytime you got off of asphalt or gravel you were at risk of getting stuck. The only thing I did to it was better tires and an inline fuel heater just before the filter/water separator which I insulated also.

Hit three deer on separate occasions. Got rear ended by a Volvo. It got great fuel millage. But it was boring to say the least. Wish I still had it, but I don't know why really. I have a 2001 Ranger Edge for that duty now. Did I say the LC loves gas?
Honda Foreman
I'm currently still racking up the miles on my 2007 LBZ Duramax 2500 SLT Sierra. For my needs of pulling my fifth wheel camper to jobsites all over it does a wonderful job and is virtually bullet proof. I had the trans completely gone through earlier this year after a freak oil cooler line rupture due to a kinked metal line caused by hitting a deer a couple years ago. I had a billet DTC triple disc converter put in as the factory converter is a know weak link. It's been tuned and deleted and gets 17-18 mpg pulling a 31' fifth wheel camper and 22-23 mpg empty.
Originally Posted by tzone
Honda Foreman

Just sold my original 88 Foreman a month or so back......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire