Home
Posted By: wabigoon Heading to NW Ontario. - 08/11/19
The Good Lord willing, bright, and early in the morning.

want me to catch some fish for you kind folks? laugh
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Heading to NW Ontario. - 08/11/19
You goin fishing Wabi. Man, I wish I was going with ya.

I could show you how to eat fish, Wabi.

Hot for dinner, cold for breakfast, and medium for fishing on the lake for lunch., smile
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Heading to NW Ontario. - 08/11/19
I, and my wife have been packing all day, always one more thing to do. I'm showered, and shaved, soon I'll shut down this computer, pack that in, and try, try, to get some kind of a night's rest. 630 miles with no detours.
Take care on the road. If you start getting sleepy eat a banana and nap 20 min for it to take effect. It's better than coffee to get you going for a few hours.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Heading to NW Ontario. - 08/11/19
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Hot for dinner, cold for breakfast, and medium for fishing on the lake for lunch., smile

You wouldn't be doing any fishing.

laffing
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Heading to NW Ontario. - 08/11/19
Oh sure...rub it in.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by jaguartx

You wouldn't be doing any fishing.

laffing

He be fishing and I be cooking, Slummer, but I could surprise you. whistle
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: Heading to NW Ontario. - 08/11/19
Originally Posted by wabigoon

NO, I don't want you to catch some for me....... !!!! I want you to take me WITH YOU !!!!! 🤗

At 650 miles, you're just about dead nutz half as far away as I am. I'm hoping to be up there in your northern back yard next June. Been too long........... 😕
Posted By: broomd Re: Heading to NW Ontario. - 08/11/19
Watch out for the ticks...Lymes can wreak havoc.

Have fun.
Posted By: 1OntarioJim Re: Heading to NW Ontario. - 08/11/19
I didn't think our government had ever done anything to get rid of the mercury in Wabigoon Lake. I know it was present when we used to hunt with an outfitter based out of there in the 1970's and nothing had happened since. You're a braver man than me.

Jim
Wabi, I don't know if you come up through the Twin Cities or not, but if you do, I could have a nice breakfast for you guys and get you back on the road quickly. Have a great trip.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Heading to NW Ontario. - 08/11/19
If I recall, I think Wabi goes up through Park Rapids and Bemidji. I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time. smile
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Heading to NW Ontario. - 08/12/19
Good folks, thanks for the kind thoughts. We arrived about an hour, and a half ago. Good trip, no tickets, no troubles at all, customs was hello, and have a good trip. I am tried however, likely take it easy in the morning, and think about some fishing.

I'll try to catch some, and try to think of taking pictures.

If you have never fished NW Ontario, it's hard to beat. Harder still are the rocks just under the water level, di you know lower ends on outboards are expensive? eek blush laugh
Jim, as I understand, the mercury is downstream from the mill in Dryden, with the ministry's two fish limit for us non-people. it would take a long time for the mercury to build up that much. At least that's what I'll think?
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Heading to NW Ontario. - 08/12/19
Safe travels Richard!
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Heading to NW Ontario. - 08/12/19

Sure wabigoober...how about some piranha?
Posted By: slumlord Re: Heading to NW Ontario. - 08/12/19
Mercury is delicious.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Heading to NW Ontario. - 08/12/19
A few mercury outboards fall off the transoms of fishing boats and dumbasses think it'll kill them somehow -you'all is so stupid .
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: Heading to NW Ontario. - 08/12/19

If you have never fished NW Ontario, it's hard to beat. Harder still are the rocks just under the water level, di you know lower ends on outboards are expensive? eek blush laugh

That ain't no crap !!!!

On ALL of those lakes......... somebody decided to sprinkle truck and house sized rocks out in the middle of nowhere under a foot or 18 inches of water. 😬
Posted By: jerrys Re: Heading to NW Ontario. - 08/12/19
Mercury, no problem. Stack the fish in the freezer on their nose, tail up. As they freeze, the mercury will drop and end up in the head. Thaw and clean. No problem.
Posted By: 1OntarioJim Re: Heading to NW Ontario. - 08/12/19
Since we were in that area from 45 to 50 years ago I have to think that is long enough for the mercury to accumulate in the river and in the fish population. Anyway as long as it doesn't disturb you enjoy the fish.

Jim
Posted By: Windfall Re: Heading to NW Ontario. - 08/12/19
You eat the 15-16" walleyes and throw the big ones back to spawn and get even bigger. Before they had the slot size up there, we kept and ate those big ones. If you get the Conservation license you eat fish like a seal when you are up there, but don't bring any back. I wouldn't take my own boat up there #1 because of the rocks and #2 they net the lakes that you can drive to and those fish end up at your local Red Lobster. We were scooting along up there running wide open out in the middle of the lake when I saw a gull on the water and didn't think much about it. Then as we got closer it was wait a minute, there is air under that gull!!! That bird saved me a costly repair. Have a great time up there. It is a heck of a fishery.
Posted By: stripe55 Re: Heading to NW Ontario. - 08/12/19
Do you ever get out on Dinorwic?
Making our annual trip to Sioux Lookout next month, always grapple with the thought of stopping and fishing Dinorwic and/or Wabigoon on the way
Have a great trip
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Heading to NW Ontario. - 08/12/19
I'm wondering why the mercury doesn't affect those big wallleye.

I wish I hadn't played with all those mercury dimes as a kid.
Posted By: jpb Re: Heading to NW Ontario. - 08/12/19
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim
I didn't think our government had ever done anything to get rid of the mercury in Wabigoon Lake. I know it was present when we used to hunt with an outfitter based out of there in the 1970's and nothing had happened since. You're a braver man than me.

Jim

hi Jim

I don't know if any remediation proceedures have been done in Wabigoon Lake, but as you might know, Ontario has quite a good program regarding mercury and other pollutants in lakes as a result of Ontario's Fish Contaminant Monitoring Program.

See Overview including advice to mimimize Hg intake

If you know the lake, go to search for a lake or area like Dryden

you can then click on Lake Wabigoon and get a table of fish species, size and recommended consumption rates

What you get is quite detailed and looks like this: Lake and species and size-specific recommended max meals per month

As already noted, release the big fish, eat the small fish -- I absolutely love walleye, but I think I'd get sick of eating walleye long before I get close to the recommended limit as long as this practice is followed.

I really miss walleye and often salivate on my keyboard when wabigoon or new_2_99s post their damn pictures of fishing and fish dinners! eek laugh

John

Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Heading to NW Ontario. - 08/12/19
Richard,

I'm curious. How did a farmer from Iowa get hooked up with a place way the heck up there?
Posted By: bludog Re: Heading to NW Ontario. - 08/12/19

I'm heading there in a couple of weeks with some buds I used to work with. They tell me the skeeters are not near as bad in the later summer/fall. Really looking forward to it. Safe travels and good fishing!
Rooster, my grandparents built this place about the time I was born, that was of course, as a long time ago.

I've been told my grandfather, a gravel contractor, visited a contractor in Omaha that was a fisherman. I'll guess that was a man named Wheeler. If I'm correct, Wheeler owned an island on Wabigoon Lake.

We are both tiered after the drive, and nothing ever seems to work the first day, or so. I've been fighting the TV for my wife. I spent about a hour with our Roku to no avail. It may be a device that was programmed in the US will have to be redone for Canada?
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Heading to NW Ontario. - 08/12/19
Interesting story, Richard. Thanks.

Sorry I can't help you out with the Roku. I know nothing about it.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Heading to NW Ontario. - 08/13/19
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim

Jim

Jim, It's not in the lake per se, it's downstream from the mill, carried by the Wabigoon river.
Welcome back Richard & Judy !

smile
Richard stopped into my shop, as I was typing the last reply !

& thank you, very much for the packages of beef liver !!

grin
In 13+ years here, I have only fished Wabigoon Lake this last winter !

Never in the summer.

Too many options.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Heading to NW Ontario. - 08/13/19
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Richard stopped into my shop, as I was typing the last reply !

& thank you, very much for the packages of beef liver !!

grin

I'd love to meet Richard myself!
Super nice guy, but Judy is way better on the eyes !

wink
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Heading to NW Ontario. - 08/13/19
Enjoy the stay, Richard. Have some TimBits for me at Tim Horton's. Best, John
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Heading to NW Ontario. - 08/14/19
We got out for about three hours today. Nice day, a bit cool, the lake was not rough. No keepers, a small jack,(northern), a tiny bass, and a minnow eating little jackfish. We shoul'd fried up the minnows! laugh
© 24hourcampfire