Home
Sunday night on GRIT TV !!! 7:00 CST
Bruce Dern, underrated actor.
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Bruce Dern, underrated actor.

Saw an old interview with him. He said when they were making that movie, John Wayne told him:

“Boy, People are gonna Hate YOU when they see this movie “

And Bruce Dern said: “You know, He Was RIGHT ! ”
John Williams did the soundtrack. He also did the soundtracks for Star Wars, Jaws, Indiana Jones, Close Encounters of a Third Kind, Harry Potter. He's my favorite American composer. Good stuff.
Not one of my favorite JW movies. Never liked Bruce Dern anyway. He always played characters that you would liked to have slapped the chit out of.
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Not one of my favorite JW movies. Never liked Bruce Dern anyway. He always played characters that you would liked to have slapped the chit out of.

It takes some skill and talent to play a bad guy well...

If you wanted to slap him, he did well.. smile
He was also a "Major League" prick in "Hang 'em High".

Good actor.
one of my JW favorites.
One of my absolute favorite all-time movies.

And completely agree with Bruce Dern being underrated.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by JamesJr

It takes some skill and talent to play a bad guy well...

If you wanted to slap him, he did well.. smile

It was the same with Alan Rickman - he was absolutely perfect as the bad guy, but, as I understand it, he was a perfect gentleman.
Bruce Dern is the man. The bad guy always makes the movie. Unless Bruce Dern is a good guy, then he still makes the movie (i.e. the 'Burbs).
I think Bruce Dern might have played himself in Support Your Local Sheriff.
Good movie, Dern had small part in Once upon a time in Hollywood
Originally Posted by hanco
Good movie, Dern had small part in Once upon a time in Mexico

He played the Judge in “All The Pretty Horses”

One of his few roles as a good guy. And he played the part really well

Also, I always thought his daughter, Laura Dern was pretty hot in her younger days!
I saw Bruce Dern on an interview years ago and he said he got stopped by the cops in Nevada for speeding. The HP gave him a speeding ticket rather than a warning b/c he was ‘the guy who killed John Wayne’.
Originally Posted by Alaskajim
I saw Bruce Dern on an interview years ago and he said he got stopped by the cops in Nevada for speeding. The HP gave him a speeding ticket rather than a warning b/c he was ‘the guy who killed John Wayne’.

That's funny.
One of my favorites...love the kids, Clay later became the best team roping heeler in the world.
Watch the green broke filly turn from a bay to a sorrel.. Miss Alice . I watch it once a year
It’s on in 10 minutes!!!
" Three slices in the crust, one to let the steam out, two more because its the way your moma did it ,"
It’s got Slim Pickens in it at the first. And also one of the Carradine brothers as one of the kids.
“Well mister, we ain’t never seen a [bleep] before”.

Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by hanco
Good movie, Dern had small part in Once upon a time in Mexico

He played the Judge in “All The Pretty Horses”

One of his few roles as a good guy. And he played the part really well

Also, I always thought his daughter, Laura Dern was pretty hot in her younger days!

I remember him playing a lead role as a sort of odd but good guy character in a science fiction movie back in the early '70s titled "Silent Running".
One of John's very best movies.
I loved that movie.Kinda reminded me of my younger days when little boys went out and worked like men.Watermelon fields,hauling hay and those long days working on the farm.We didn't make a lot of money,but it built a lot of character in young men that carried them through life.
Posted By: ERK Re: John Wayne / “The Cowboys” - 08/12/19
Very good movie without all the special effects crap. Ed k
This JW movie has always been favorite of mine for some personal reasons. When it was being filed in 1971, IIRC, the cattle drive scenes were actually filmed on a ranch west of Pagosa Springs Colorado where my wife and I were living in our early marriage years. At the time there was a huge hardware store there called Pagosa Hardware and I knew its owner and wife very well. On a Saturday morning I was in there and the owner introduced me to this tall skinny guy who was Bruce Dern. He was very friendly and I saw him a few times later in the month or so that he was in the area, and he always recognized me and called me by name.

One evening a friend and I went down to the Spring Inn located just across the river in the downtown area for a drink. When we walked in there was this huge guy sitting at a table eating a steak and drinking scotch. It was John Wayne. We nodded to him as we walked by and he asked us if we wanted a drink so we sat down with him. He also was a very cordial person. That routine of eating a burnt steak and drinking scotch was a nightly ritual for him and on two other occasions I shared a scotch with "The Man" as he ate his burnt chunk of meat.

Long time ago............... Still a great movie to watch.
"There are no Sundays west of Omaha!"
With a great story line far removed from the main western them it's partly what makes it one of the best movies....also casting was spot on with all actors...the best bad guy actor and of corse the best good guy of his ara ...
Saw the movie when I was a kid. Being the shortest kid in class (including the girls), I could relate to the little guy who was able to go on the cattle drive when the chalkboard was lowered.
Originally Posted by BayouRover
This JW movie has always been favorite of mine for some personal reasons. When it was being filed in 1971, IIRC, the cattle drive scenes were actually filmed on a ranch west of Pagosa Springs Colorado where my wife and I were living in our early marriage years. At the time there was a huge hardware store there called Pagosa Hardware and I knew its owner and wife very well. On a Saturday morning I was in there and the owner introduced me to this tall skinny guy who was Bruce Dern. He was very friendly and I saw him a few times later in the month or so that he was in the area, and he always recognized me and called me by name.

One evening a friend and I went down to the Spring Inn located just across the river in the downtown area for a drink. When we walked in there was this huge guy sitting at a table eating a steak and drinking scotch. It was John Wayne. We nodded to him as we walked by and he asked us if we wanted a drink so we sat down with him. He also was a very cordial person. That routine of eating a burnt steak and drinking scotch was a nightly ritual for him and on two other occasions I shared a scotch with "The Man" as he ate his burnt chunk of meat.

Long time ago............... Still a great movie to watch.

Wow!!! Your a very lucky man! What most of us would give to have shared a drink with the MAN. 🤠
Roscoe Lee Browne also turned in a superb acting job for this movie!
"Doesn't anything bigger want to work for you?"
LOL
Originally Posted by 3dtestify
Roscoe Lee Browne also turned in a superb acting job for this movie!

Yep. He was great as Mr. Nightlinger. He was also a WW2 Vet.
I watched most of it last night, and though it's not one of my favorite JW movies, it's an undeniable fact that ANY movie that the Duke made is worth watching as far as I'm concerned. I think Wayne was at his best from the late 40's into the mid 60's.
Originally Posted by kid0917
"Doesn't anything bigger want to work for you?"
LOL

Well.. I’ll bring some sugar-tits to bring along, hahaha!
© 24hourcampfire