Home
Posted By: Oldman03 100 degrees - 08/11/19
For the first time this year, it finally got there. 100 degrees in the shade, at my place.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: 100 degrees - 08/11/19
That’s been here everyday for over a week. Not much relief in sight in this the coming weeks either.

The older I get, the more I HATE summertime.
Posted By: Gun_Geezer Re: 100 degrees - 08/11/19
Just got back from an Alaskan cruise. All the way up to Glacier Bay. Sun shine all the time, which is rare for that part of the world. But, I was friggin cold most of the time. Got back yesterday and rather glad to warm up. 97F here today. Nice
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: 100 degrees - 08/11/19
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
That’s been here everyday for over a week. Not much relief in sight in this the coming weeks either.

The older I get, the more I HATE summertime.

Preach it, Brother!

My pastures look like dead of winter now.

No rain in the 10 day forecast, and 100+ temps.

Drought again.
Posted By: MD521 Re: 100 degrees - 08/11/19
Welcome to my world.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: 100 degrees - 08/11/19
Either prayin' for rain, or prayin' for it to stop.... crazy
Posted By: bowmanh Re: 100 degrees - 08/11/19
We've had a cool summer in the Pacific NW. I'm kind of enjoying it!
Posted By: jaguartx Re: 100 degrees - 08/11/19
I guess we're going to die guys, because I'm not voting dimocrap.

I heard on radio a couple days ago NOAA said July averaged 5 degrees warmer than last summer.

Lying bastids. To me this has been the coolest spring and June and July I can remember in a long time.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: 100 degrees - 08/11/19
Originally Posted by jaguartx
I guess we're going to die guys, because I'm not voting dimocrap.

I heard on radio a couple days ago NOAA said July averaged 5 degrees warmer than last summer.

Lying bastids. To me this has been the coolest spring and June and July I can remember in a long time.

If it averaged 5 degrees hotter in the US, than last summer, it had to get awfully hot somewhere to make up for the average summer we've had. Took a little longer to get to 100 degrees and up until the last couple of weeks, it's been the wettest in a long time.
Posted By: Dutch Re: 100 degrees - 08/11/19
It was cool into July, but then it turned warm, and stayed warm. We never hit 100's, not even close, but it never dipped into the 70's like it usually does for a little respite.

Finally broke today, and we had the doors open until 3. You can smell Fall. Second cutting is down. You can feel the elk getting urge to bugle. My favorite time of year.
Posted By: Borchardt Re: 100 degrees - 08/11/19
Vote Democrat or die in a desert of your own creation, really, I not kidding. The parts of North America not consumed by the oceans will be worse than the Chihuahuan desert in August. Seriously, you will be sorry if you don't vote for Slow Joe or Bernie or Chief Spreading Bull.
Posted By: slumlord Re: 100 degrees - 08/11/19
I LOVE the heat.

Goddamm like to have froze to death in the cracker barrel last night. The most dangerous breakfast in the country couldn't warm me up.

I get sick of sweathogs, pingers and estrogen cows pulling down the ac or asking mgt to pull it down in offices and business.

I keep my t-stats about 78-80. Dang it boy, does the house lady fuss. Lol
Posted By: hanco Re: 100 degrees - 08/11/19
It’s right around a hundred here too. Grass is burning up.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: 100 degrees - 08/12/19
Originally Posted by bowmanh

I’m loving it. Woke up yesterday to the sound and fresh smell of a steady rain and decided to linger a little longer in bed with my sweetheart enjoying the peace and quiet of a summer rain.

It sprinkled and was overcast and cool again today. Fall is coming.....👍
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: 100 degrees - 08/12/19
High listed here today on the local Weather tonight was 106
Posted By: Dre Re: 100 degrees - 08/12/19
It was 121 last Monday in Palm Springs
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: 100 degrees - 08/12/19
Awesome 58°F here now. It was 75°F today.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: 100 degrees - 08/12/19
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
High listed here today on the local Weather tonight was 106

I’m definitely not cut out for that heat. I like cool weather and anything much over 75* is too hot. I’m used to dressing in layers but you can only strip down so far before becoming a Arkansas Walmart shopper.

Just let the dogs out and to check on the new chicks and discovered a nice steady drizzle watering the yard. 👍. I’m liking our summer so far.
Posted By: Seafire Re: 100 degrees - 08/12/19
Randy,

on the way home, I pulled into Fallon Nevada... the first place coming up thru Nevada to see a thermometer, at 6 Pm and it was 103.... I think it was higher when I came thru Tonopah earlier in the day coming up old US 95......

I actually didn't seem to notice much, because the humidity out this way is pretty darn low...

My son was back east for the BSA World Jamboree in West Virginia....

I asked him what the weather was like back there this summer....

his only answer was "HUMID!"
Posted By: milespatton Re: 100 degrees - 08/12/19
Still mowing the yard, twice a week. Been doing that since the first of March, and damn tired of it. Usually this time of year it is once every two weeks, but I have received 4 inches of rain since I returned from Quemado. miles
Posted By: DouginLa Re: 100 degrees - 08/12/19
Originally Posted by Oldman3
For the first time this year, it finally got there. 100 degrees in the shade, at my place.

Temp is one thing, but the heat index of 117* is the killer.
Posted By: hanco Re: 100 degrees - 08/12/19
85 here at 4:45 am
Posted By: websterparish47 Re: 100 degrees - 08/12/19

Yes, like you said, first time this year and the grass is still green and growing. If it says hot for a few more days, I may have to turn on the A/C.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: 100 degrees - 08/12/19
Hot weather? Middle August? Middle Summer?

Huh, who da thunk. grin

98, 101, 105, 101, 96 next five days. mad
Posted By: BlueDuck Re: 100 degrees - 08/12/19
We had an inch of rain here yesterday. Nice break from the summer heat. Its never as hot here as where some of you live, but that's why I don't live there. Its been 90+ for a couple of weeks. The forecast says its going to be in the low 80,s here for a while now. That's a little better. Looking forward to fall.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: 100 degrees - 08/12/19

still summer here......86* most of the week........

cool upper 50's overnight.......

no rain fur a while........

lots of water still coming outta the pipe though......

our irrigation water came on mid April.......was free till Aug 1st.......

hope we have another heavy wet winter
Posted By: cra1948 Re: 100 degrees - 08/12/19
Day before yesterday was the first time I knew for sure that the outside temperature readout in my truck would go three digits. In the two weeks since we moved to SC it’s been in the high 80’s to high 90’s every day. I’m getting used to it...sort of...kind of...
Posted By: TimZ Re: 100 degrees - 08/12/19
AC is basically running non-stop, hope it makes it through the rest of summer....
Posted By: Hastings Re: 100 degrees - 08/12/19
I had a terrible experience with the heat on Friday. I guess it was the accumulation of several days of strenuous work in the heat. I ended up hospitalized with serious heart arrhythmia and renal failure. We had been chainsawing some downed oak trees, dragging irrigation pipe and hose around, and baling hay all day for several days. Being 67 is a whole lot different than 57. Once they gave me a shot of something to put my heart back in time and loaded me up with fluid everything straightened out. I was pretty well told that if I want to live I had better cut back on outside work in August and be drinking a whole lot more. I was several pounds lighter that evening than I was that morning even though I drank water and Coke Zero all day.
Posted By: Hawk_Driver Re: 100 degrees - 08/12/19
We had one, 100 degree day back in June. Love the weather where we live, the altitude makes a huge difference. Was out in Yuma a couple weeks ago, basically about the same latitude, but way lower in altitude. It was hot enough to breed zebras. Ran in the teens there all weekend.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: 100 degrees - 08/12/19
Originally Posted by Hastings
I had a terrible experience with the heat on Friday. I guess it was the accumulation of several days of strenuous work in the heat. I ended up hospitalized with serious heart arrhythmia and renal failure. We had been chainsawing some downed oak trees, dragging irrigation pipe and hose around, and baling hay all day for several days. Being 67 is a whole lot different than 57. Once they gave me a shot of something to put my heart back in time and loaded me up with fluid everything straightened out. I was pretty well told that if I want to live I had better cut back on outside work in August and be drinking a whole lot more. I was several pounds lighter that evening than I was that morning even though I drank water and Coke Zero all day.

Damn. Don't do that anymore!

Had a couple of days this summer where I got overheated and it messed me all up too.

Had to delay spraying projects until early fall. I refuse to have jobs that I hate kill me.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: 100 degrees - 08/12/19

water water water..........Gatoraide........

get out early & quit earlier
Posted By: EIB0879 Re: 100 degrees - 08/12/19
Been over 100 here for the last week. Looks like it will cool down to the 90's as a high on Wednesday. Typical Texas weather. We have had several over 100 days here.

A year ago my AC went out on a Saturday and didn't get fixed until Monday late. Temps outside were 106 high. It got up to 100 in the house. That wasn't pleasant.

Oldman- where are you in North Central Louisiana? I'm a Louisiana Tech alum.
Posted By: Timbermaster Re: 100 degrees - 08/12/19
There are times when living at 7000 feet has its rewards. August is one of those times.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ironbender Re: 100 degrees - 08/12/19
Thought this was about all the obtuse threads that get posted.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: 100 degrees - 08/12/19
Originally Posted by DouginLa

Life was a lot cooler and warmer before the "feels like" temperature showed up.
Posted By: edapp Re: 100 degrees - 08/12/19
AC went out over the weekend. Refrigerator died this morning.

It's hot out there, and in here.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: 100 degrees - 08/12/19
Originally Posted by EIB0879
Been over 100 here for the last week. Looks like it will cool down to the 90's as a high on Wednesday. Typical Texas weather. We have had several over 100 days here.

A year ago my AC went out on a Saturday and didn't get fixed until Monday late. Temps outside were 106 high. It got up to 100 in the house. That wasn't pleasant.

Bout 25 miles north of Ruston...... mighty metropolis of Spearsville.
Posted By: EdM Re: 100 degrees - 08/12/19
It's 61 degrees as I type up here. We should see 72 or so later. A pleasant light rain last night.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: 100 degrees - 08/12/19
7 day forecast for the Clearwater drainage. Just right.

Detailed Forecast

TodaySunny, with a high near 82. Light and variable wind.
TonightMostly clear, with a low around 54. Calm wind becoming east around 5 mph after midnight.

TuesdaySunny, with a high near 87. Light and variable wind.
Tuesday NightMostly clear, with a low around 57. Calm wind.

WednesdaySunny, with a high near 87. Light northwest wind.
Wednesday NightPartly cloudy, with a low around 58.

ThursdayMostly sunny, with a high near 84.
Thursday NightA 20 percent chance of showers after 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 57.

FridayA slight chance of showers, with thunderstorms also possible after 11am. Partly sunny, with a high near 78. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Friday NightA 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms before 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 55.

SaturdayMostly sunny, with a high near 83.
Saturday NightMostly clear, with a low around 56.

SundaySunny, with a high near 87.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 100 degrees - 08/12/19
We had 3" of rain yesterday. It came fast/hard, so much of it ran off, but some had to soak into the dirt. I would have rather seen 8 or more hours of light steady rain that would have had more time to soak in.

The forecast is for more rain today, but I'm not seeing it on the radar map.

Know it well. I'm originally from El Dorado and use to hunt just north of Junction City.
Posted By: ironbender Re: 100 degrees - 08/12/19
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by DouginLa

Life was a lot cooler and warmer before the "feels like" temperature showed up.

When you were a pup, it was called temperature-humidity index (THI) and wind chill.
I still call it that.

“Feels like” is for those that did not pay attention in 8th grade science class.
Posted By: websterparish47 Re: 100 degrees - 08/12/19

Know it well. I'm originally from El Dorado and use to hunt just north of Junction City.

OT. Had an uncle that was a trucker, he called Junction City..Dodge city.
Posted By: Hawk_Driver Re: 100 degrees - 08/12/19
Everybody I knew when I was stationed there called Junction City, Junky City.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by Hastings

Damn. Don't do that anymore!

Had a couple of days this summer where I got overheated and it messed me all up too.

Had to delay spraying projects until early fall. I refuse to have jobs that I hate kill me.

I had a heat stroke about 15 years ago after building fence in late July on a 105 degree day. Had a stomach virus that had drained me the day before and forgot my water jug that day.
Came too in the ambulance as the attendant was standing over me charging up the paddles. As I was coming too, I heard the EMT say “no pulse & no blood pressure”.
That’ll scare the schitt outta ya. 🤠
106 here now as I’m typing this.
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver

Junction City Arkansas?
Posted By: RiverRider Re: 100 degrees - 08/13/19
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by bowmanh

I’m loving it. Woke up yesterday to the sound and fresh smell of a steady rain and decided to linger a little longer in bed with my sweetheart enjoying the peace and quiet of a summer rain.

It sprinkled and was overcast and cool again today. Fall is coming.....👍

Yeah it is.

It'll get here about October 20. crazy
Posted By: hanco Re: 100 degrees - 08/13/19
102 today
Posted By: Talus_in_Arizona Re: 100 degrees - 08/13/19
Summer strong here. 111 this week they said. Not too bad 😎
Posted By: JGRaider Re: 100 degrees - 08/13/19
107 here.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Morewood Re: 100 degrees - 08/13/19
94 here today. Not bad for this time of year. At least it's not a blast furnace.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: 100 degrees - 08/13/19
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver

Junction City Arkansas?

HD must be thinking of another Junction City. We use to hunt up to the Ark. line, but over east of JC a few miles. Grew up hunting Little Corney, Big Corney, and Bayou De Loutre (Lutter Bottom).
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: 100 degrees - 08/13/19
47 in and Great Falls this morning, 79 right now in San Antonio, predicted high of 79 in GF today, gonna be 104 in the shade when I get home crazy

Life is hard and then you die grin
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: 100 degrees - 08/13/19
I would be pretty concerned and upset if it weren’t 103 here this time of the year. Geez ot’s August in Texas. Suppose to be hot. Looking forward to another scorcher again today. I got big pecan trees in the yard! Whole back and bottom is shaded!

Sho nuff could use me an big old fashion Cold Charleston Gray or a Black Diamond this afternoon! Mmmmm!

And a big red soda water! Mebbe a mess of fried chicken gizzards for desert!!!!

Damn. I’m hongry now!
Well it ain’t a Charleston Gray and it ain’t a Black Diamond, but the Lawd provideth!!!!!!

[Linked Image]
I’d like to go volunteer at the Alamo this week but they hate it when the visitors collapse from heat exhaustion.
Posted By: travelingman1 Re: 100 degrees - 08/13/19
My Grandfather used to raise Charleston Gray melons. Remember some monsters that were saved for seed. Sitting in the back yard, in the shade of a big old oak and spitting the seeds into a cup for him. Great times and great watermelon.
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Well it ain’t a Charleston Gray and it ain’t a Black Diamond, but the Lawd provideth!!!!!!

[Linked Image]

Have you done Ancestry.com yet?

Just wondering.
LOL! Archaeologist son has done a bunch. We qualify as po white euro-trash from at least 4 separate countries!!

Goat-rievers, pork-miners, and Kohlrabi-mongers all!
Posted By: milespatton Re: 100 degrees - 08/13/19
Had to go to the local store for lawn mower gas yesterday. Knew it was going to be a hot one, when passing the neighbors place and all of the cows, and calves, was under a shade tree, at 7:45 in the morning. smile miles
Just got though security, even the TSA people in Montana are friendly and helpful. Didn’t think that was possible.
Posted By: ironbender Re: 100 degrees - 08/13/19
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Just got though security, even the TSA people in Montana are friendly and helpful. Didn’t think that was possible.

Are they obese, ESL people? Always seems like a job requirement.
Posted By: websterparish47 Re: 100 degrees - 08/13/19
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Uhh Bird, how were your dressed.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: 100 degrees - 08/13/19
55°F last night. Should be 76°F later today.

[Linked Image]

Bob, I believe that's a Jubilee. But, I's gots a row of Charleston Grays thats just about ready to eats. Picks the first Jubilee day fores yestiddy, et most of it yestiddy, after it sets all nite in the frigerater.
101 today!
103 at my house with 50% relative humidity = heat index of 127
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: 100 degrees - 08/13/19
106* under my carport right now.

I think I'll wait to feed the cows... eek

Shot some pigs this morning while it was still "cool"....

Found out there's no such thing as "cool" in Texas right now... frown Sweated out PDQ dealing with them.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bob, I believe that's a Jubilee. But, I's gots a row of Charleston Grays thats just about ready to eats. Picked the first Jubilee day befores yestiddy, et most of it yestiddy, after it set all nite in the frigerater.

I believe you are correct sir!
Posted By: Seafire Re: 100 degrees - 08/13/19
I haven't seen a watermelon like that in decades.... all I see around here is a basketball sized ones grown in Mexico that are overpriced at Wally World.
Originally Posted by Seafire
I haven't seen a watermelon like that in decades.... all I see around here is a basketball sized ones grown in Mexico that are overpriced at Wally World.

And I learned at The Armijo Springs gathering why that is so!!!

And I learned at The Armijo Springs gathering why that is so!!!

Well, let us in on it! smile
Well it is my understanding that them basketball size melons are mostly seedless. Wartmelons without seeds apparently have a longer shelf life than them old bigs ones with seeds. Decomposition begins around the seed.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: 100 degrees - 08/13/19

Sad that you folks in So OR don't get some Hermiston melons down there. They were popular in t E WA when I was up there for a few years. Tasty too as I recall.

Geno
I learned it during the silage/ haylage evening conversation at Armijo. This years gathering was small but there were some powerful thinkers and learned scholars present!
Hasn't hit 100 on the official thermometer at the airport here this summer. Couple of times on mine, but it's usually a few (5-7) degrees higher due to it's location.

Had a cold front move thru the other day, temp went from 77 in the morning and climbing to 55 when the hailstorm hit, stayed low the rest of the day, then hit 36 that night, officially and here! And it's not even September yet.

Hard to garden warm loving veggies in these conditions.

At least our wet spring and cool summer has kept the fire danger down some.

Geno
Oh and just like yesterday, and day before the current temp is 103 AM & FM!
I learned it during the silage/ haylage evening conversation at Armijo. This years gathering was small but there were some powerful thinkers and learned scholars present!

Mammy thanks ya..... Pappy thanks ya...... and I's thanks ya!
LOL! Archaeologist son has done a bunch. We qualify as po white euro-trash from at least 4 separate countries!!

Goat-rievers, pork-miners, and Kohlrabi-mongers all!

Could be we have a relative or two in common Bob.

Word in our family is we have some kraut eating Frenchies in the family tree from that border area.

Geno
I dunno Geno! I think out Froggy side was run outta France along with that bastid prince William. If they weren’t they sure as hell should have been, the blackguards!
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: 100 degrees - 08/13/19
It’s in the upper 70’s here and mostly cloudy. I’m sure looking forward to fall. 👍

Kaywoodie, Thank you for your insightful contributions here. I always enjoy your posts and find myself laughing out loud, I like your sense of humor. Don’t mean to derail a highly focused thread but felt compelled to actually thank you for always giving me a laugh, if I actually know what the hell you’re talking about. 😂 You start talking ‘bout opera (Not Oprah) and you’ve lost me. 😁
I dunno Geno! I think out Froggy side was run outta France along with that bastid prince William. If they weren’t they sure as hell should have been, the blackguards!

laugh

All I know it I'm sure glad my ancestors left Europe, whether run out or by choice. I'd not like to be a citizen there now.

And it gets hot there too. Can't imagine a 100 degree day in ol' Pareee.

Geno
Well it is my understanding that them basketball size melons are mostly seedless. Wartmelons without seeds apparently have a longer shelf life than them old bigs ones with seeds. Decomposition begins around the seed.

Gotcha!

Guess they don't have a seed spittin' contest with those seedless ones! frown
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
It’s in the upper 70’s here and mostly cloudy. I’m sure looking forward to fall. 👍

Kaywoodie, Thank you for your insightful contributions here. I always enjoy your posts and find myself laughing out loud, I like your sense of humor. Don’t mean to derail a highly focused thread but felt compelled to actually thank you for always giving me a laugh, if I actually know what the hell you’re talking about. 😂 You start talking ‘bout opera (Not Oprah) and you’ve lost me. 😁

An8’s

You’re most welcome! Just never ever call me Fredo!

Understood???
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: 100 degrees - 08/13/19
105 here.
Posted By: Gus Re: 100 degrees - 08/13/19
we were at 100 degrees at 5pm.

the heat effect was about 105.

i'm glad i'm not nailin' commercial tin on poultry houses.

but it is august, and september is right around the bend.

the dogdaze of summer is never a very pleasant time.
Posted By: EIB0879 Re: 100 degrees - 08/14/19
Drive home.

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire