Home
For bolt and AR use. For fun and shtf? grin
7 1/2
CCI 400
The lightest cup possible.
Then it turns it into a legal full auto with slam firing
Whatever brand flips your fantasy switch.
CCI 400

There’s lots of them right now so loading up on them is easy.

P
CCI.
I read the military uses magnum level primers, and have been using mostly CCI 450s for .223 over 35 years.
Thanks guys.

If only loading full power 223 and 5.56 any negatives to the magnums? Can't imagine I would use anything less than 50gr bullets.
CCI450
CCI bench rest.
Originally Posted by Bristoe
CCI bench rest.

I expected more from you! Some quip about the Helena presidential candidate or such. laugh
Hard to wrap some snark around the word "primer".
Pretty much any of the major brands would be good for handloading and easy to find now! During the next “demonrat” administration......anything you can get! memtb
I'm also a CCI fan, but I've also had good results with Winchester primers. It seems Federal primers (and MAYBE Remington too....not near reloading room) come in HUGE boxes, which comparatively are a PITA to store.
CCI 450 or BR4
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

Please don't tell me you are just now starting?

But to answer your question, CCI 450"s for ball powder, 400's for stick powders.

On the discount side, S&B are very good AR primers as well.
CCI 400s for all powders...all the time.
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Hard to wrap some snark around the word "primer".

You should be priming for the gun confiscation YOUR governor plans! I'd lol but it ain't so funny.
Bullock is a good man....and thorough.
Any and all of them. Never found one to not go bang.
If I was you, I'd be axing my gun writing neighbor if different SR primer cup thicknesses were intended for use at different pressures. Hint...
Well, I guess I should stroll downtown and grab me some more 400s, mmm? They surprised me, the first box I bought. Really consistent, but I should have known as I've been shooting Mini Mags since the late 1970s.
Remington 7.5 have are comparatively hot, and have a harder cup than most, as well as a slightly larger diameter. They can fill the most shoes well if you want just one.
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
If I was you, I'd be axing my gun writing neighbor if different SR primer cup thicknesses were intended for use at different pressures. Hint...

Yep.....I use Rem 7.5's for just that reason but I'm only loading for 17cal bolt guns.

I doubt that AR's give a chit.

Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
Well, I guess I should stroll downtown and grab me some more 400s, mmm? They surprised me, the first box I bought. Really consistent, but I should have known as I've been shooting Mini Mags since the late 1970s.

CCI's hard to beat for general use and pretty easy to find.

That's all I use in my hand guns..
The CCI 41 is a MILSPEC primer designed for the AR.
Keep it coming. The do all super duper wonder SR primer?

Did I mention I screwed the suppressor onto the FN15 the other day and I'm now all googoo over it?
7 1/2's since they were copper colored not brass. Never had a problem
Got two cases of remington 7 1/2 under the bench just waiting to light up the ARs. Another case of WSR for the bolt guns.
CCI 450’s or 41’s, they’ll work in anything. The cup is too thin on 400’s and you’ll get piercing in high pressure rounds with a sloppy firing pin fit.
Not one mention of Federal or Winchester. I have shot thousands of WSR primers in loads that exceeded the published "maximum" and never had one not go off or blank. Same goes for Federal.
I'm sure some "expert" will tell me I'm wrong, and then go about proving it, but I've never seen any difference to speak of between primers. I've used CCI, Remington, Federal, and Winchester, having used mostly the first two. My late brother was a very avid reloader, and when he died I was given a lot of his reloading stuff, plus quite a bit of reloaded ammo. He used Wolf primers to load up a bunch of 223 and 6.8SPC ammo. Not only has every round gone bang, but the 6.8 stuff is scary accurate. I also have a bunch of Wolf primers, but have never used them.

When the SHTF after the '08 election I bought case each of Tula small and large pistol and rifle that was 3.50 a box at the time.

I never had an issue with Tula but I am not sure they are being imported now.

Honestly, I would buy my preferred primer by the case and never look back, if the county gets nasty primers, even Tula will sell easy.
I have Winchester, CCI, Wolf and Federal in the locker.
I have CCI and some S & B. I can’t find the S & B anywhere. When available I could find them on sale for the low 20$.
Where are y’all finding the best deals?
Originally Posted by RDW

When the SHTF after the '08 election I bought case each of Tula small and large pistol and rifle that was 3.50 a box at the time.

I never had an issue with Tula but I am not sure they are being imported now.

Honestly, I would buy my preferred primer by the case and never look back, if the county gets nasty primers, even Tula will sell easy.

The wolf small rifle mag work fine on .223 sized cases, but I found they are too cold for some uses. I loaded some .454 rounds with them and had some squibs, just not hot enough to cook off a case full of H110. I switched to federal and no more problems with the .454. I’ve shot thousands of rounds of .223/6.5 Grendel with various powders using wolf primers without issue.

After reading this thread I might try som Remington next.

Rem 7.5........

have enough for my eternity & closest friends.........
I would stay away from Wolfs. I have had too many misfires on guns with a weaker hammer strike. I personally like winchester and federal.
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Rem 7.5........

Those things are like hen's teeth up here.
Originally Posted by jeffbird
The CCI 41 is a MILSPEC primer designed for the AR.

Unfortunately, they're around $10.00 higher a thousand on most of the retail sites.
So the consensus is - buy buy buy!

Appreciate the input.
What primers to hoard ?

All of them.

Don't let anybody else have any.

Mike
Originally Posted by 6mm250
What primers to hoard ?

All of them.

Don't let anybody else have any.

Mike

I like your style.
Looks like all CCI.

I use mostly Federal Gold Medal, though I have some others in case I run out.

Federal came out with a AR Gold Medal about 10 years ago.
CCI
CCIs 450s, with 20% rebate and Rem 7 1/2 are dang cheap, for now. Going to see what I can find local to avoid the shipping. Thanks dudes.

What if any concern is there using the magnums with stick powders?
CCI No. 41
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Rem 7.5........

Those things are like hen's teeth up here.

may not be best price currently.......watch for free ship & reduced haz mat deals

from other on line stores

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1601120656
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply....le?sortby=ppplowhigh&itemsperpage=30
© 24hourcampfire