Home
Posted By: aceman2101 Which Tractor should I buy - 08/13/19
I have about 25 acres in east texas. The place is overgrown with youpons, sweetgum, and various other trash trees. I'm leaning to a 47 horse Kubota,(L4701, hydrostat). I am also considering Mahindra, Kioti, and Massey Ferguson as lower cost options. Any suggestions as to which tractor I should buy, or which ones to stay away from. Thanks in advance
Posted By: vapodog Re: Which Tractor should I buy - 08/13/19
before you buy any of them, have a good look at skidsteers
Whatever color you choose, just make sure you get one big enough.

Then go a little bigger. grin
Posted By: hanco Re: Which Tractor should I buy - 08/13/19
I have that size Kubota. It’s fine, but wish I had gotten a 50 horse. Get 4 wheel drive and front end loader!! I’ve had mine 15 yrs, nary a problem with it.
Posted By: boatboy Re: Which Tractor should I buy - 08/13/19
No expert here but nobody is unhappy with Kubotas
unless they want bigger

Hank
ONE WORD: ORANGE!!
I have been shopping for a tractor lately. I have done a good bit of homework. There is no brand I wouldn't consider. From what I have read, owners are generally happy with their tractors. Shop the dealer as much as the tractor. I won't likely end up with a Kubota, but only because the nearest dealer isn't very good. There is one more Kubota dealership I will check out before I write them off. Buyers are getting a good bit more tractor in Kioti than they do for the same money in Kubota. Certain LS models are essentially New Holland. Don't overlook Yanmar if you have a dealer nearby. They have been in the game for a long time. The source engines for other manufacturers. They also offer a 10 year power train warranty.
Originally Posted by aceman2101
I have about 25 acres in east texas. The place is overgrown with youpons, sweetgum, and various other trash trees. I'm leaning to a 47 horse Kubota,(L4701, hydrostat). I am also considering Mahindra, Kioti, and Massey Ferguson as lower cost options. Any suggestions as to which tractor I should buy, or which ones to stay away from. Thanks in advance

You'll find a tractor very handy to have around there!

But with the overgrown brush/trees... Remember it's a tractor and not a dozer.

You can take out good sized trees, especially yaupons, with enough horsepower and the right front end loader attachment, but 50hp is a bit light for that.
Get a size or two larger than you think you need, FEL and 4x4 are indispensable in my view. Don’t underestimate the importance of mass/weight.....size matters for heavy chores and the lighter tractors are a step backwards. Used tractor prices around here are so silly that new is attractive. Also, the newer engines develop their torque at much higher rpm....which is annoying and takes more effort to manage. Keep in mind that a heavier older tractor without all the emissions crap may be a better way to go. We have 2, a 54hp MF and a 65 hp Landini with cab. For heavy work, the Landini is so much easier even though the MF has more than enough hp. Find a way to try out several different ones, then pick the brand with the best dealer support.
I agree with those suggesting a little bigger than you think you need. on the topic of brand, I have owned both the MF and Kubota. In my experience they are both excellent machines. Over 10 years I put over 1200 hours on my MF without any issues other than replacing the battery once. I had the TLB (tractor, bucket, backhoe) model, 25 hp. I used the bucket for tons of stuff and I was surprised how often the backhoe came into use. The Kubota I have is a great with what I view as a slightly more powerful but less operator friendly bucket. Ultimately it comes down to personal choice.
For clearing land in TX, I'd be looking for something with a cab and air conditioning. It will be worth the money when you hit your first yellow jacket nest.
I'll say don't buy bigger than you need because internet experts keep telling you to spend more money. More power is great, but less maneuverability, needing more storage space, and less money for implements that make it all useful are not. Buy the right size for what you need to do.
Originally Posted by atomchaser
For clearing land in TX, I'd be looking for something with a cab and air conditioning. It will be worth the money when you hit your first yellow jacket nest.

Both my tractors have cabs.

I don't know the number of times I've had yellowjackets, or bees, and even an angry bumblebee hive hitting the glass.

All it took was one experience years ago with a large bee hive and a Bobcat to earn that advanced degree... grin
Originally Posted by LeroyBeans
I'll say don't buy bigger than you need because internet experts keep telling you to spend more money. More power is great, but less maneuverability, needing more storage space, and less money for implements that make it all useful are not. Buy the right size for what you need to do.

You talking about "internet experts" is PRICELESS! laugh
Posted By: Bry Re: Which Tractor should I buy - 08/13/19
I bought a 32 horse Massey with a loader seven years ago, you’d be surprised at what it can handle plus I can run it across the yard and not tear it up. There hasn’t been a tractor yet that can’t be broken if you misuse it.
Posted By: Toddly Re: Which Tractor should I buy - 08/13/19
Not this chit again. Buy a horse.
Originally Posted by Toddly
Not this chit again. Buy a horse.

Chainsaws, Tractors, and Scopes!

laugh
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Which Tractor should I buy - 08/13/19

You are full of BS. I thought I needed a 50 horse and my brother talked me into going bigger I ended up getting a 95 HP Kubota zbdvst times I wish it were bigger. It takes weight as well as power to complete some tasks easily and quickly. I bushhoged with my brothers 10 footer and it took me all day to cut my pasture and over a tank of fuel, so I bought a 15 foot batwing and now I can cut it in 5 1/2 hrs and only 3/4 tank.
Need weight to safely move heavy loads with the loader.
Posted By: BamBam Re: Which Tractor should I buy - 08/13/19
Originally Posted by jwp475
[quote=LeroyBeans]I'll say don't buy bigger than you need because internet experts keep telling you to spend more money. More power is great, but less maneuverability, needing more storage space, and less money for implements that make it all useful are not. Buy the right size for what you need to do.

You are full of BS. I thought I needed a 50 horse and my brother talked me into going bigger I ended up getting a 95 HP Kubota zbdvst times I wish it were bigger. It takes weight as well as power to complete some tasks easily and quickly. I bushhoged with my brothers 10 footer and it took me all day to cut my pasture and over a tank of fuel, so I bought a 15 foot batwing and now I can cut it in 5 1/2 hrs and only 3/4 tank.
Need weight to safely move heavy loads with the loader.
[/
25 years ago when I was looking at gun safes I bought a 20 gunner, my buddy says you’re nuts I should Get a 50 I said I don’t need a 50 I only got 11 rifles in a few Hand guns now I got 3 50’s and 1 20 and they’re all full :-) Go bigger
which tractor to buy=white people problems
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

laugh laugh laugh

I've graduated to an internet expert? How cool is that?
Posted By: tzone Re: Which Tractor should I buy - 08/13/19
The one you can pay cash for
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Which Tractor should I buy - 08/13/19

First thing to consider is how you plan on getting rid of these trees. If you're going to cut them with a saw and either drag them off, or push them up into a pile to be burned, then a 47HP Kubota is big enough. Now, if you're planning on pushing them up, or pulling them up, a 47HP tractor is probably not enough, depending of course on the size of the trees.

I have a 45HP New Holland, with FWD, and although it will do a lot, there is a lot that it won't do, partly because it's not heavy enough, and partly because it's not enough HP there. I also have a 80HP NH, and the difference between the two tractors is a lot, mostly because of the size and weight, because the weight is what helps you do most of the stuff you want a tractor to do.

Of the 4 brands you mentioned, the Kubota is no doubt the cream of the crop. You can't go wrong with one, would be my advice. Of the three remaining ones, I'd put Mahindra and Massey next, and Kioti last.
I would base my buying decision on the best dealer support. I went with a 45 hp Kioti due to its much lower price than a comparable Kubota. Mahindra did not have any tractors in the 45 hp range with a hyda trans.
My local dealers customer support has been off the chart good so far.

Make sure you get a FEL and 4 wheel drive and have the tires filled.
Like Vapodog said, look at Skidsteers before making your decision. There are a lot of cool tree removal tools that can be mounted on Skidsteers. Same with tractor-loaders but many of them seem to have been designed for skid steers. You may even want to hit a farm show to see some of this stuff demonstrated before making a decision. Watch some YouTube's of other people doing similar things to what you want to do and get an idea of the machinery they are using and its capability. You might be able to get a serviceable skid steer AND a tractor and loader used for what a new tractor would cost.

Biting my tongue here.
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Like Vapodog said, look at Skidsteers before making your decision. There are a lot of cool tree removal tools that can be mounted on Skidsteers. Same with tractor-loaders but many of them seem to have been designed for skid steers. You may even want to hit a farm show to see some of this stuff demonstrated before making a decision. Watch some YouTube's of other people doing similar things to what you want to do and get an idea of the machinery they are using and its capability. You might be able to get a serviceable skid steer AND a tractor and loader used for what a new tractor would cost.

A skid steer will tear the hell out of everything it’s driven on. A skidsteer will not outlift a big tractor and will not handle rear implements. A skidsteer is tippy! Not side to side but back to front tippy. An R series Deere tractor is much more tractor than orange or red. But it’s expensive. Deere makes other lines like the E series to compete price wise. Buy an R if you can afford it. .....and put a skid steer attachment on the front loader.

Todd the internet expert!
Posted By: memtb Re: Which Tractor should I buy - 08/13/19
We bought a 10 year old, low hours, Kubota M6040 (with cab) a few years ago......very happy with that purchase! Kubota’s are pretty darn good tractors! memtb
I’d buy American made, if it’s an option.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Which Tractor should I buy - 08/13/19

Found one last week with my cabless Kioti........
Tweren't pretty after all said and done and a half mile jog/walk back to house there were 9 sting spots.

Had no idea what shape I left the tractor in when I bailed with about 20 of the sonsabitches buzzing my face as I never looked back at a dead run for about 100 yards.

They still itch like hell a week later.

I got into a nest of Bumblebees moving year old round bales last month and switched tractors to the one with a cab!
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter

Good luck. whistle
Posted By: Raeford Re: Which Tractor should I buy - 08/13/19

Good luck. whistle

Hey, Kioti's are assembled in N.C.[by messicans I'm sure]. wink
Originally Posted by Raeford

Good luck. whistle

Hey, Kioti's are assembled in N.C.[by messicans I'm sure]. wink

My Mahindra was assembled in Houston, TX. The loader on it was fabricated there.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Which Tractor should I buy - 08/13/19

Hasn't been an American built small tractor in decades.
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus

I got into a nest of Bumblebees moving year old round bales last month and switched tractors to the one with a cab!

Yellow jackets force me also into a cab! Those little bastards go right for the eyes.

yes.....my CK 35 Kioti again....2010....I believe built in S Korea

In my mere 9 years of owning it has been a great machine..412 hrs now

I opted for the manual shuttle transmission....Granted.......

I don't use it like others here...but its ready to go when I need it

IIRC it was $17K with FEL and couple of drag impliments

[Linked Image]
Hire somebody with a dozer to clean up the trash trees then pick the tractor you need to maintain it.
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Hire somebody with a dozer to clean up the trash trees then pick the tractor you need to maintain it.

That's good advice. If the trees are of any size, a small tractor isn't the right tool. A dozer or a track loader with a forestry head will make short work of it.
Posted By: devnull Re: Which Tractor should I buy - 08/13/19
I bought a new Kubota M7060HD12 a year ago. After using it a year, I'm glad I bought 70hp. However, I wished I had purchased a hydrostatic tractor for loader and working on hills. Be honest about your needs and go from there. You can't go wrong with Kubota provided you have good dealer support.
Just me but I would buy a good ol Jd 3020 or even a 4020... When you are done with it it will sell for more than you paid for it...
My 66 HP JD R series has been a pure joy to work like a mule. Very heavy and very powerful hydro drive. Has skidsteer quick attach loader. Factory wheel spacers and rear weights with loaded tires. Load match throttle. Down force 3 point hitch. The cab is incredibly well laid out and comfortable. I don’t deserve something this nice! Did I mention the satellite radio? 😂

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BWalker Re: Which Tractor should I buy - 08/13/19
I did some similar work with a 75hp Deere. I really needed more power. Not sure how trees are in Texas though.
Honestly the best thing for clearing trees is a decent size excavator with a thumb on the bucket.
Originally Posted by BWalker
I did some similar work with a 75hp Deere. I really needed more power. Not sure how trees are in Texas though.
Honestly the best thing for clearing trees is a decent size excavator with a thumb on the bucket.

They can be tough. Huisache and mesquite are anyway.

The yaupons come out pretty easy. But you need the right tool on front.

[Linked Image]
Are any of you using a Piranha? I have read good things about them for getting rid of scrub brush.

https://bxpanded.com/piranha-toothbar
"Use enough tractor." OT Ruark
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Which Tractor should I buy - 08/13/19
Tractors been goin' downhill since they quit makin' the Ford 8N in '52.

Get ya one'nese.

[Linked Image]
I wish they were as simple as they were back then.

Govt. sure has messed them up with all the emissions requirements.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Which Tractor should I buy - 08/13/19
I wish they were as simple as they were back then.

Govt. sure has messed them up with all the emissions requirements.

Maybe,...but in all honesty, if I could have one machine it would be a skid steer with a forest mulcher on the front of it.

They're a bit out of my price range, however.
They are outta my range too. wink
Posted By: 44mc Re: Which Tractor should I buy - 08/13/19
I would like a timber cut down machine with a 8ft 4 blade hydro mower on it .they are rated at an 8inc hardwood tree an you can trim tree limbs 20ft off of the ground .I put a few together some tears ago for the timber company to cut pine trees after a fire .they had a push bar on the on the front to lay the trees over a little bit .guys that run them said they could mow & mulch 10 to 12inc pine trees as fast as the machine would travel
I'd think about what kind of attachments you might want on it first. Wouldn't buy any of them without the full ROPS on it... mine was a Kubota full hydraulics front and back, all quick disconnects front and back, had the back-hoe with 14" bucket, hydraulic breaker, and hydraulic bush whacker. Did a few modifications to it myself, welded on a class 3 receiver between the blades on fork attachment so that I could move trailer around easily.

Kobata's a good brand and reliable.

Phil
© 24hourcampfire