Home
Several high-profile Senate Democrats warned the Supreme Court in pointed terms this week that it could face a fundamental restructuring if justices do not take steps to "heal" the court in the near future.

The ominous and unusual warning was delivered as part of a brief filed Monday in a case related to a New York City gun law. Sens. Sheldon Whitehouse, D-R.I., Richard Blumenthal, D-Conn., Mazie Hirono, D-Hawaii, Richard Durbin, D-Ill., and Kirsten Gillibrand, D-N.Y., referenced rulings by the court's conservative majority in claiming it is suffering from some sort of affliction that must be remedied.

The Democratic senators' brief was filed in the case of New York State Rifle & Pistol Association, Inc. v. City of New York, which dealt with legal limitations on where gun owners could transport their licensed, locked, and unloaded firearms. They are urging the court to stay out of the case brought by the NRA-backed group, claiming that because the city recently changed the law to ease restrictions, the push to the Supreme Court is part of an "industrial-strength influence campaign" to get the conservative majority to rule in favor of gun owners.

If the court still decides to hear the case, a ruling against New York City could prevent other cities and states from passing similar gun control laws.
Conservatives currently outnumber liberals on the Supreme Court 5-4, but the past year featured a multitude of cases where conservatives — including President Trump's picks Neil Gorsuch and Brett Kavanaugh — sided with the liberal bloc.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...restructuring/ar-AAFKHRU?ocid=spartandhp
The 'war' is hot now. Won't be the last battle in many more to come on all fronts.
If any of us did that to any judge we would be in jail for contempt so fast we wouldn't know what hit us. Hope the SC takes it as seriously
I think they are trying to do some intimidation, especially of Roberts. They are trying to preemptively affect decisions. They did this on the census question and it appears to have worked.
I believe they just send Roberts a few more clips of the 'video' .
Maybe those Democrats need a bit of a "warning" themselves.
Fundimatl restructuring?.....Hitler did just that ....I'm seeing more and more of his tactics
The only good news is the odds of all four liberal judges outliving Trumps tenure is pretty small.
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
Fundimatl restructuring?.....Hitler did just that ....I'm seeing more and more of his tactics

And Stalin's'.
The next presidential election is still all about the Supreme Court. We need more non-liberal justices appointed.

The Supreme Court obviously is foiling the plans of the progressives, and it will for a generation if there are two more conservative appointees.
Ironic that Justice Thomas is the only conservative left on the court, ain't it?
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
The only good news is the odds of all four five liberal judges outliving Trumps tenure is pretty small.

You forgot Roberts.

Roberts has flat out broken from protocol and warned Trump publicly, himself.
Democrats have no shame.
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Ironic that Justice Thomas is the only conservative left on the court, ain't it?

Yep.
to the Dems, fundamental restructuring means appointing liberal judges. Ain't going to happen with Trump in office
Roberts is compromised.

For a bit of good news the 9th Circus is slowly going conservative with recent appointments.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Damned Straight!
God forgive me but them crazy assed evil fuggers shooting up innocents are targeting the wrong people.
Agreed...
Originally Posted by saddlesore
to the Dems, fundamental restructuring means appointing liberal judges. Ain't going to happen with Trump in office

This is a Democrat Red Herring designed to pressure the court. Dick Durbin is a long time Dem hack.
Originally Posted by hatari
Originally Posted by saddlesore

This is a Democrat Red Herring designed to pressure the court. Dick Durbin is a long time Dem hack.

Or more like the Democrats publicly issuing a warning to Roberts, “Obama is gone, but we still have the tapes”.
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
The next presidential election is still all about the Supreme Court. We need more non-liberal justices appointed.

The Supreme Court obviously is foiling the plans of the progressives, and it will for a generation if there are two more conservative appointees.

This is the key point the Nevertrumpers just choose to ignore in their angst over Trump's behavior, his Tweets, his willingness to aggressively exchange insults which they all see as "Un-Presidential". The single longest lasting effect any President has these days is court appointments. 8 years of GWB was a helluva lot better for the courts than 8 years of Al Gore followed by 8 years of Obama or HRC. What would 16 years of Democrat appointments have done to ALL the Federal courts?

Additionally, tell me what other GOP Presidential possibility would have back Kavanaugh? Rubio? Kasich? Cruz? (maybe, but only only maybe) Most any other GOP President would have bailed on Kavanaugh when the Dems started that crap and brought in somebody more moderate (read: wolf in sheep's clothing) to appease the Dems.

Yep, they need to understand the consequences of freedom loving people defending their freedom.

Funniest part to all of this, ok two things:

1) The talk of expanding to 9 to keep from "packing" well that is the very definition of packing. AND they only want it assuming they run the whitehouse and offer up the judges. If Trump, or any R is sitting in white house, talk of expanding would bring up "they are packing" arguments as a bad thing.

2) Politicizing? You bet your sweet ass it's political. But why? Simple, our governemtn made it that way with the way the hearings go. This isn't new. "Borking" is now a verb because of it.

I, for one, am HAPPY Gorsuch has sided with liberals here and there. Shows he's actually THINKING not following political lines. when someone can predict the outcome as 5-4 all the time, that just shows it IS broken, that judges are not thinking openly but following political lines. I can't believe any group of 9 people will consistenly side the same way every time if they are thinking openly and clearly.
Well, so much for the concept of checks and balances based on three branches of government.

This is more proof that the Left regards the Constitution as an impediment to their designs rather than a protection for individual rights. They talk about "rights" all the time, but they want to decide what they are, rather than deal with a pre-determined list that interferes with their power over us. The Framers, realizing that times change, created a mechanism that allows the Constitution to be modified, but wisely made that process cumbersome and difficult so the core principles wouldn't constantly be at risk from political flights of fancy. This drives these control-freak bastards crazy, because they want their New Venezuela now, not later.

Like someone said above, the next election is STILL about the Court, because everything comes down to that in the end. There's no one else who can be counted on to appoint originalist justices but Donald Trump. Just look at what the Bush family wrought with their moderate approach to this. We don't need balance on the Court, we need people who can read and follow clear language.
Just my not very humble opinion but the Democrats are getting a bit too damn big for their britches and need to be taken down a a peg or two. mad
Paul B.
They have over stepped their powers again and they will pay for it.
These a ssholes need taking down about 5 notches!!
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
These a ssholes need taking down about 5 notches!!

They "need" more than that.

They need an example made of them.
Just me, but if I were a appointed for life judge in the highest court of the land, I would issue a Body Attachment for the authors of the letter, send the Marshalls to fetch them, and bring them before the court to explain their threat.
Originally Posted by PJGunner
Just my not very humble opinion but the Democrats are getting a bit too damn big for their britches and need to be taken down a a peg or two. mad
Paul B.

There are NO DemocRATs any more Paul.....

Call them what they ARE.....COMMUNISTS... G'DAMN COMMUNISTS...

and they need to be treated like COMMUNISTS....

JAILED AND LET THEM DIE IN PRISON WHERE THEY BELONG.

STARTING WITH HITLERY....
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
They have over stepped their powers again and they will pay for it.

They ain’t gunna pay for shcit.

5 Justices on the Court agree with them.
Originally Posted by cv540
Just me, but if I were a appointed for life judge in the highest court of the land, I would issue a Body Attachment for the authors of the letter, send the Marshalls to fetch them, and bring them before the court to explain their threat.

Exactly. Of course maybe most all judges are bought and paid for, they are just being more open
© 24hourcampfire