Home
Posted By: wabigoon Informal Poll? - 08/14/19
So, are you retired, still working, somewhat retired, or just plan tired?

Meself, I keep trying to get retired, but they keep trying to get more work out of me. (Undecided on laugh, or cry icon)
Posted By: slumlord Re: Informal Poll? - 08/14/19
I can't wear pants anymore, I get gaulded.
Posted By: EIB0879 Re: Informal Poll? - 08/14/19
Still working, want to retire, but can't afford it yet.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Informal Poll? - 08/14/19
Retired, tired, useless.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Informal Poll? - 08/14/19
Come along North with me next time John, you can cook, and do dishes. laugh
Posted By: Otter Re: Informal Poll? - 08/14/19
I've been tired for a long time. When I stopped working, well, I got retired.
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Informal Poll? - 08/14/19
I think I’m gonna retire and start inane threads for a living.
Posted By: watch4bear Re: Informal Poll? - 08/14/19
Originally Posted by slumlord
I can't wear pants anymore, I get gaulded.

I can't wear shorts in summer; I'm too long.
Posted By: Ranger_Green Re: Informal Poll? - 08/14/19
Originally Posted by EIB0879
Still working, want to retire, but can't afford it yet.

Same here.
Posted By: old_willys Re: Informal Poll? - 08/14/19
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Myself, I keep trying to get retired, but they keep trying to get more work out of me. (Undecided on laugh, or cry icon)

I am getting much closer to retirement, have a few personal goals to complete one of which is completing 20 years at present job which is now only 127 days away....
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Informal Poll? - 08/14/19
Retired since the late 80's.

It sucks when you want to do something and you realize that you can no longer do it.

Many things get thought out for a while trying to find a way to get them done.
Posted By: Wylietx107 Re: Informal Poll? - 08/14/19
Worked at my full time job to long to quit but not long enough to retire. I’m 37 and be eligible to retire when I’m 53. Work a part time job and farm the rest of the time.
For you good folks still hard at it.
Posted By: szihn Re: Informal Poll? - 08/14/19
I hope to never retire.
I like making muzzle-loaders, but for now I am too backed up to take on anything new.

I have about 3.5 years of back log, but that way better then it was when I stopped taking new orders --------- 3 years ago.

When I get down to about 4 guns on my list (instead of the 41 I have now,) I'll probably start to take more time off, go hiking more, walk my dogs more, and do some fishing in the summers. I may even make a new policy of taking all the time from December 23rd to Jan 3rd off every year.
As of now I take all the time I need to fill hunting tags every year, and I take Christmas off, but other then those times I work 6 to 6-1/2 days a week ---- and a short day for me is 12 hours.

So my idea of "retirement" is doing what I am doing now, but with far less pressure in trying to get so many customers satisfied all the time.

When I am in my 70s I hope to never have more then 3 people waiting on me at any time.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Informal Poll? - 08/14/19
Been waiting for Direct Deposit for nine years now.

Hard to describe how it feels to wake up every day knowing that I can do what ever I feel like, more or less. Most days, the China Doll brings me the first cup of coffee while I lay there and decide.

Usually, I decide to have some more coffee.
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: Informal Poll? - 08/14/19
Still working (begrudgingly) with little to no hope of retirement...........ever.

When I started, 32 years ago, I was going to be retired at 48 years old. 6 or 7 kicks of the retirement can by the phouckin, azzhole union and our pension fund is currently 37% funded and 6-8 years from being broke. So, I wonder every day how long I'm going to keep putting money into a dead fund and just quit. Takes a job to pay the bills, though...........
Many thanks to you young folks still paying income tax to keep us old guys feeding at the government trough going.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Informal Poll? - 08/14/19
Age 56
Retired once at 44 for about 6 weeks
Then retired for good at 52.

Waiting on that silly monopoly money social security stuff at age 62.
Bank half of it each month, spend the other half on whatever...

Wife could retire if she wanted too but she likes being around kids at her work( empty nest syndrome)
I still make 2.5 times what she makes a month sitting on my ass.
She has grown used to it and knows her bytching/ jealousy about it yrs ago falls on my IDGAF ears..
I think its fugging awesome having disposable income again since them 3 money pit daughters left the nest actually.
I worked those 8 yrs after my 1st retirement at 44 at some high paying high risk jobs to set my happy azz up paying off alot of schit
to get out of a working mans spending life style.

Done my fugging part and earned what I get....
Posted By: ingwe Re: Informal Poll? - 08/14/19
Retired once when I was 37......that lasted 11 years...till I ran out of money. But I got to do alot of stuff while I was still young enough to be able to do it. Retired again at 62...for three years, then went back to work part time cause the college offered me the perfect retirement job...working two days a week, and they aren't long days....
Posted By: Morewood Re: Informal Poll? - 08/14/19
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Informal Poll? - 08/14/19
My Outlook Scheduler pops up once per week to remind me it is time to retire, this week I was 144 weeks late on sending in my paperwork.When I get to 3 years overdue, I might go another year or two. 260 weeks late sounds like a good number, lol.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Informal Poll? - 08/14/19
Had to retire. Nothing mostly. Hunt fish once in a while.
Posted By: travelingman1 Re: Informal Poll? - 08/14/19
Old people retire. I just quit work 11 years ago. Big 70 in a couple weeks so do not think I will be going back now.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Informal Poll? - 08/14/19
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Hard to describe how it feels to wake up every day knowing that I can do what ever I feel like, more or less. Most days, the China Doll brings me the first cup of coffee while I lay there and decide.

Just do like me and start with one big cup so you can spend more time contemplating everything else. smile
Posted By: superlight17b Re: Informal Poll? - 08/14/19
I had a career ending accident at 48,disability retired at 50.55 now ,just thankfull to be alive.
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Informal Poll? - 08/14/19
I'm 58 this year. 7 more to go, and then hoping to find a little part time job swapping lies at a bait shop or gun shop. Can't think of a better way to while away my time, make a little bit of spending money, and get a few good deals. I have to admit the last time I worked at a gun shop, I all most when broke. They had that damned layaway, and I always had a rifle or shotgun collecting dust over in the corner waiting on me to pay it off.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Informal Poll? - 08/14/19
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Meself, I keep trying to get retired, but they keep trying to get more work out of me. (Undecided on laugh, or cry icon)
20% retired at this point... smile
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Informal Poll? - 08/14/19
Since I was 22 years old, I have farmed, and always worked a second job. I retired from USPS at age 65, after working 31 years there. Since then, I've kept busy with the farm and the cattle, in addition to raising some garden produce to sell. I can never see myself just sitting around with nothing to do. I believe keeping busy keeps you out of trouble, and helps you live longer.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Informal Poll? - 08/14/19
Need something to do?

Try the beast stroke next time you go swimming.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Informal Poll? - 08/14/19
I strategically stacked up real estate and projects before I retired at 51 (always kinda been the king of junk stuff and fubar homes)... stay WAY busier now than I was when I worked...

Great income flipping and upgrading, but damn it does hurt sometimes.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Informal Poll? - 08/14/19
I guess I'll never quit working..

Don't really want to.

I have enough retirement jobs to keep me busy for awhile. grin

I know I ain't ever gonna work for someone else again. I decided that over 20 years ago.

Pretty hard to get ahead working for someone else. Unless it's a govt job, and I don't feel good doing that. wink
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Informal Poll? - 08/14/19
I’ve been retired for 20 years!
Posted By: RickyD Re: Informal Poll? - 08/14/19
Originally Posted by Tom264

It's pretty easy to see why so many people hate your guts. You are a wretched piece of chit on your best day.
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: Informal Poll? - 08/14/19
Closing in on 75. STILL work full time and OT. Been on the same job for 46 years. Love the place, job, and the people I work with. Retirement might happen 10 years after I die.
Posted By: memtb Re: Informal Poll? - 08/14/19
Retired....Finally! After working for 50 years, before retiring......I need to go back to work, to get some rest! So.....I guess I’m just “tired”! If I had been blessed with money.....I would have never worked. With adequate funding, it would take 10 lifetimes, to see and do everything available on this planet! I now have the time to enjoy life.....but am blessed with little energy and less money! wink memtb
Posted By: champlain_islander Re: Informal Poll? - 08/14/19
I retired from a telco company in 2002 at age 53 after 34 years. I fish and hunt almost every day during the different seasons. Nothing quite as nice as waking up each morning and know that all I have to do is make myself or family happy. Fished 182 days last year so I am busy. I don't keep track of the hunting but between archery, rifle and then ML seasons I am busy.
Posted By: Huntz Re: Informal Poll? - 08/14/19
I retired from my full time job of 32 years 18 years ago and went into farming.I did that for 15 years until my money ran out.Now I hunt, fish and waste time here.
Posted By: Barkoff Re: Informal Poll? - 08/14/19
Hopefully I pull the plug next year.
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
Closing in on 75. STILL work full time and OT. Been on the same job for 46 years. Love the place, job, and the people I work with. Retirement might happen 10 years after I die.

Can I ask your occupation?
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Need something to do?

Try the beast stroke next time you go swimming.

[Linked Image]

Boy, he musta really pissed that bull off, that’s something I don’t think bulls do naturally.
Originally Posted by RickyD

It's pretty easy to see why so many people hate your guts. You are a wretched piece of chit on your best day.

Thanks for your insight dick.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Informal Poll? - 08/14/19
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Just do like me and start with one big cup so you can spend more time contemplating everything else. smile

Dang!

Thought 20oz WAS a big cup.
Posted By: DubThomas Re: Informal Poll? - 08/14/19
I retired from the state highway patrol at 50 years of age after 30 years of service with the state. I piddled around for 5 years before the local sheriff talked me into coming to work for him.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Informal Poll? - 08/14/19
Originally Posted by DubThomas
I retired from the state highway patrol at 50 years of age after 30 years of service with the state. I piddled around for 5 years before the local sheriff talked me into coming to work for him.

There in Kerr County?
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Informal Poll? - 08/14/19
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Dang!

Thought 20oz WAS a big cup.

20? Pfft. smile
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Informal Poll? - 08/14/19
I've been retired 5 years this month. I don't miss working a bit. I have plenty to keep me busy, too busy in fact.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Informal Poll? - 08/14/19
Same answer as the how old thread

Medicare.

And not working except at what I want to.

Geno
Posted By: efw Re: Informal Poll? - 08/14/19

Ps. 133 Behold, how good and pleasant it is
when brothers dwell in unity!
2 It is like the precious oil on the head,
running down on the beard,
on the beard of Aaron,
running down on the collar of his robes!
3 It is like the dew of Hermon,
which falls on the mountains of Zion!
For there the Lord has commanded the blessing,
life forevermore.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Informal Poll? - 08/14/19
Quit cold turkey at 59. Have not been employed since. 😜
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Informal Poll? - 08/14/19

Perfectly said RD...Even with C-D-T Deflave temporarily away. He’s still the same. SMH 😎
Posted By: mudhen Re: Informal Poll? - 08/14/19
"Retired" 14 years ago at age 62, but I have had at least one or two consulting contracts each year since. The last one expired December 31st, and I chose not to renew it. This year, I turned down a couple of new ones that I was offered. Now, almost 8 months later, I am starting to think that I should find something to do besides mowing and watering the grass, and helping with the house work.

However, I'm headed up to Colorado this weekend to spend a week with my older daughter and her family, hiking and sight-seeing. That will take my mind off the subject for a little while. grin
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Informal Poll? - 08/14/19
That sounds like a good plan!!
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Perfectly said RD...Even with C-D-T Deflave temporarily away. He’s still the same. SMH 😎

If you [bleep] think I really care what you think about me you better rethink that.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Informal Poll? - 08/14/19
Originally Posted by efw

Ps. 133 Behold, how good and pleasant it is
when brothers dwell in unity!
2 It is like the precious oil on the head,
running down on the beard,
on the beard of Aaron,
running down on the collar of his robes!
3 It is like the dew of Hermon,
which falls on the mountains of Zion!
For there the Lord has commanded the blessing,
life forevermore.

efw,

thanks.

now, like the Boy Scouts, we have a motto the 'fire can live by.

Geno
Posted By: dale06 Re: Informal Poll? - 08/14/19
Retired at age 61, 7.5 years ago.
Miss a few of the people that I worked with, but don’t miss the job one iota.
Posted By: Szumi Re: Informal Poll? - 08/14/19
Still working. If I didn't need health care I could leave at 62 in 120 days but I'm going to have to stay until 65. Full SS is at 66 1/2 but if my investments are doing good I'm leaving at 65.

I used to like my job but current management is draining every drop of joy out of it.
Posted By: oldtimer303 Re: Informal Poll? - 08/14/19
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Retired, tired, useless.

X2====GW
© 24hourcampfire