Home
Posted By: 16bore Woodstock ✌️ - 08/15/19
Did you go? Like it? Hate it?

Curious I reckon. Always enjoy the movie this time of year. Not a hippie by any means, but thought it was kinda cool how it came together. Wasn’t even born yet.

Fan of some of the music for sure.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Woodstock ✌️ - 08/15/19
Too young to go.

Besides, I heard there was that evil weed there.

And people inhaled it even.

Geno
Posted By: Raeford Re: Woodstock ✌️ - 08/15/19
We do the SWVA version every year, love watching the GenX and Millenials flitter about......
FloydFest

https://floydfest.com/
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Woodstock ✌️ - 08/15/19
I was too young to go and I'm glad.

One less thing to regret.
Posted By: lastround Re: Woodstock ✌️ - 08/15/19
One didn’t have to go to Woodstock to find “the weed” in 1969.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Woodstock ✌️ - 08/15/19
Why would you regret being at Woodstock? Most of those free wheeling young folks turned into the money grubbing capitalists of the 1980's and 90's.
Posted By: lastround Re: Woodstock ✌️ - 08/15/19
A lot of what was called “ditchweed” was grown up around the Falls of the Rough in Kentucky. And of course, lots of other places too.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Woodstock ✌️ - 08/15/19
I sure wanted to take my kids to the 50th this year. But wasn't able to.
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Woodstock ✌️ - 08/15/19
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Too young to go.

Besides, I heard there was that evil weed there.

And people inhaled it even.

Geno

Well it’s evil ,wicked , mean, and nasty. Don’t step on the grass Sam!
Steppinwolfe. Youtube
Posted By: Raeford Re: Woodstock ✌️ - 08/15/19
Originally Posted by stxhunter
I sure wanted to take my kids to the 50th this year. But wasn't able to.

Didn't that plan go tits up anyhow?
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: Woodstock ✌️ - 08/15/19
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Why would you regret being at Woodstock? Most of those free wheeling young folks turned into the money grubbing capitalists of the 1980's and 90's.

Or liberal politicians
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Woodstock ✌️ - 08/15/19

Well, at a minimum, maybe not money grubbing but awakened to the fact that one day there might be this "retirement" thing and it might be nice to have a job, buy a house, eat something other than beans and rice, and maybe afford a doctor instead of the free clinic.

Geno
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Woodstock ✌️ - 08/15/19
Originally Posted by thumbcocker

Or liberal politicians

Plenty of good young Christians supposedly raised right that turned out that way as well.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Woodstock ✌️ - 08/15/19
I was 15 and wanted to go bad but could not slip away. It was only about 125 mile away from where I lived. My buddy's parents had a summer home close by. I regret not going.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Woodstock ✌️ - 08/15/19
Well my work, son works with me and my daughters school and work it wasn't going to happen.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Woodstock ✌️ - 08/15/19
Originally Posted by Raeford
We do the SWVA version every year, love watching the GenX and Millenials flitter about......
FloydFest

My tent and JetBoil have been 3 times. I’ve never gone though. 😆
Posted By: Seafire Re: Woodstock ✌️ - 08/16/19
I was 17 the Summer of 69......

If you ever saw the movie, or listened to the album, one guy is on stage and talking about how many people are there and how it was a lot more than expected...

then he says " New York Thruway is closed Man!"

that is where me and my buddies were, in a VW Bug... we never got there because of that...

We were from metro DC, in Northern VA
Posted By: 16bore Re: Woodstock ✌️ - 08/16/19
40 kids can’t assemble without incident, much less 400,000 in this day. Maybe that’s where the legalization idea came from.
Posted By: DocEd Re: Woodstock ✌️ - 08/16/19
I was 23 Mi. SW of Danang eating "Beany-Weenie" out of a green can.
Posted By: Azshooter Re: Woodstock ✌️ - 08/16/19
Could have gone but my summer job took precedence. Two of my friends went. Glad I didn't go. They told me the conditions were awful with rain, mud, and humidity not to mention they and most of the other people didn't come prepared with food or shelter. August in NY isn't the best weather for camping let alone sitting in a pasture. They told me the huge traffic jam to leave that took many hours. I watched the movie production which was good enough for me.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Woodstock ✌️ - 08/16/19
Doc as far as I am concerned.. where you were wasn't glamorous ...
but as far as I can decipher... you were a Navy medic attached to the Marines...

in the Schitt and saving the lives of our boys in combat....

From a fellow medic, who never received the call to go into combat, but with the training I received, I know first hand of what you went thru, along with the rest of the fellow medics who served...

Thank you for your sacrifice and thank you for being there, to help a lot of wounded Marines make it home.

A salute of respect and thank you for your service...

you didn't miss much at Woodstock anyway in the big picture of things.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Woodstock ✌️ - 08/16/19
Originally Posted by 16bore
Originally Posted by Raeford
FloydFest

My tent and JetBoil have been 3 times. I’ve never gone though. 😆

We camped this year but the fact we live less than 30 minutes made life easy, run home whenever and shower etc
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Woodstock ✌️ - 08/16/19
I was 18 years old and living in Atlanta. I was at the Atlanta Pop Festival in July. It was a huge festival, about as big as Woodstock, we had over 300,000 people there. I saw Jimi Hendrix play the Star Spangled Banner at midnight, fantastic! You never heard of our festival?
That's because, they didn't make a movie of Atlanta Pop Festival. The clever Yankees did the PR right with the movie and Woodstock became a legend. Our festival is forgotten.

Several times during our festival, the announcer said "Next month there will be a big festival in upstate New York and y'all ought to try to go there it should be really great."
I wanted to go to Woodstock but I had other stuff to do I didn't make it.
I knew one guy who went up there and he said it was a muddy hell hole, it rained all the time and it was utter misery.
Opposite of the Atlanta festival, where it was 99 degrees and humid, a hot hell hole.
Originally Posted by Seafire
Doc as far as I am concerned.. where you were wasn't glamorous ...
but as far as I can decipher... you were a Navy medic attached to the Marines...

in the Schitt and saving the lives of our boys in combat....

From a fellow medic, who never received the call to go into combat, but with the training I received, I know first hand of what you went thru, along with the rest of the fellow medics who served...

Thank you for your sacrifice and thank you for being there, to help a lot of wounded Marines make it home.

A salute of respect and thank you for your service...

you didn't miss much at Woodstock anyway in the big picture of things.

I just recently caught the movie “Hacksaw Ridge”, pretty amazing story.
Posted By: MD521 Re: Woodstock ✌️ - 08/16/19
I went to the Atlanta International Pop Festival the month before Woodstock also. Crazy time indeed and great people and great music.
Posted By: hanco Re: Woodstock ✌️ - 08/16/19
Originally Posted by Seafire
I was 17 the Summer of 69......

If you ever saw the movie, or listened to the album, one guy is on stage and talking about how many people are there and how it was a lot more than expected...

then he says " New York Thruway is closed Man!"

that is where me and my buddies were, in a VW Bug... we never got there because of that...

We were from metro DC, in Northern VA

I was 16, too far to go!
Posted By: Fugawe Re: Woodstock ✌️ - 08/16/19
Thank you Doc for standing watch while the kids played.

One reason that Woodstock was so much more famous is that the promoters had the foresight to deploy an army of cameramen
and film everything. I would love to see all of the footage shot, unedited. I reckon that film would be about 12 hours long.

As Graham Nash said, if everybody who claims to have been there actually was there, the earth would have tilted.

Back in '74 I borrowed a friend's Woodstock album and played it on our Grundig Hi-Fi(not even stereo). Just as Jimi was really getting cranked up on the National Anthem, Dad walked in.

It didn't go well.
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: Woodstock ✌️ - 08/16/19
Rush is getting ready to respond to a caller on what he thinks of Woodstock 50 years later.

https://www.iheart.com/live/news-radio-1000-ktok-1909/
You can summarize....
© 24hourcampfire