Home
Posted By: luv2safari Great Old Gal Crosses Over - 08/15/19
My beloved Cookie crossed over today and now rests in a cottonwood grove where she loved to hunt doves and quail. I'm so sad right now I need to go.

I want to thank everyone who followed her and my other setters here and shared our times afield. She was a truly grand old girl. As some here know who hunted over her, she always retrieved the downed birds to me, regardless of who shot them. wink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Jim got this blue grouse from me. Cookie knew who to take it to.
[Linked Image]
My deep condolences. My old girl is laying at my feet right now. She won't be with us much longer.
Sorry to hear this. Always very sad.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Great Old Gal Crosses Over - 08/15/19
Good bye Cookie,

may the birds be plentiful and the retrieves exciting.

Geno
Sure hate to hear this!

Good girl, Cookie!
I'm so sorry to hear this, and I know your pain.

Very soon I will need to have my dog put down. Had thought it would be today, but it may be tomorrow.

I've known this was coming since January, but now he's not eating enough, and I won't let him suffer.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Great Old Gal Crosses Over - 08/15/19
I'm sure she was provided with as good of a life as anybody could give her.
Sorry you lost your Pal L2S.

Good Girl Cookie, good girl.
Good dogs are a blessing, no doubt. It sucks when they go but I bet she had a great life!
I am so sorry for your loss. Thinking about it, reminds me of my past dog I had to put down. Tough thing to loose a long time member of the family.
Our deepest condolences Bruce. Rosie says RIP mom.
Originally Posted by Bristoe

^^^ what Bristoe says!!

Sorry to hear.
Posted By: rflshtr Re: Great Old Gal Crosses Over - 08/15/19
Sorry for the loss of your hunting companion. Those dogs that retrieve everything to you are the best as long as you do not have to carry all the birds for everyone in your party! RIP Cookie.
Posted By: Etoh Re: Great Old Gal Crosses Over - 08/15/19
Sorry to hear.

keep in mind that there is a dog out that needs you. not enough good dog people to go around
Tough day! That is the price we pay for the years they were with us, but that doesn't make it any easier. Lost my best dog 30 years ago and I still miss her, allergies kicking up right now. No dog presently, not sure I want to go through it again but if the right one came along we'd go down that path again.

Good girl Cookie.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Great Old Gal Crosses Over - 08/16/19
Bruce - very sorry to hear of Cookie passing on to doggy heaven .
I've always enjoyed the pictures of her , best to you & family .
Posted By: hanco Re: Great Old Gal Crosses Over - 08/16/19
Sucks to lose a good dog, especially a hunting companion!
So sorry to hear this. It’s just like losing a beloved family member. Damn my allergy’s. 😢
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Our deepest condolences Bruce. Rosie says RIP mom.

I thought this was especially poignant. Sorry about your loss, L2S. She sounded like a special dog.
Sorry for your loss.

She is waiting for you!
Posted By: memtb Re: Great Old Gal Crosses Over - 08/16/19
Losing any loved one is thought..... especially a loyal, loving companion! Heartfelt Condolences! memtb
Sorry about your dog .
It is never easy .
Got a dog named Cookie also
He is looking at 14 this coming Feb.
I'm so sorry. They're such wonderful creatures. They see the best in us.

A friend once told me the reason a dog's life is so short, is because they love so much.

Good girl Cookie, good girl.
Saddened to hear this, sorry Bruce. May she rest peaceably and continue to mind after those birds and be with you always. Regards, Dan

Think we all dread these posts, but stand by our fellow dog leaders, knowing each of these was indeed a magnificent dog, a marvelous companion. Will raise a glass tonight. We all end up here one day. Only thing worse would be to have never gotten to enjoy our faithful friends in their time.

The time will be visiting here, too, far sooner than will be able to bear like a man.
So sorry, Bruce--------- Just gave Annie a good a petting & a big smooch.
Sorry to hear these terrible loss.. They are family.. Gone, but never forgotten... Rest in peace Cookie, til your master comes to hunt with you again..
Posted By: GWPGUY Re: Great Old Gal Crosses Over - 08/16/19
This ALWAYS sucks!!! My pal will be 14 on may 6 , hope he makes it. So sorry for your loss, it's nothing to look forward to that's for sure!!!!!!!!! So sorry. Bill out. 🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦
Posted By: BigPine Re: Great Old Gal Crosses Over - 08/16/19
Originally Posted by sandcritter
Saddened to hear this, sorry Bruce. May she rest peaceably and continue to mind after those birds and be with you always. Regards, Dan

Think we all dread these posts, but stand by our fellow dog leaders, knowing each of these was indeed a magnificent dog, a marvelous companion. Will raise a glass tonight. We all end up here one day. Only thing worse would be to have never gotten to enjoy our faithful friends in their time.

The time will be visiting here, too, far sooner than will be able to bear like a man.

This says it better than I could. My deepest condolences.

BP
Always hard to see them go. Gone but never forgotten.
I truly do hate these posts, but particularly when it's one we are close to.
I had hopes to get Duchess out to visit before something happened, but alas, it wasn't to be.
We are all very sad and know how painful it is. Duchess has been a treasure. Enough.

Duchess, Andrea, Jake and me.
Hate to open these posts, always sad to lose a good dog.

Always good to have owned a good dog, I guess without one, there cannot be the other...
Posted By: papat Re: Great Old Gal Crosses Over - 08/16/19
Nothing loves more...
My old heeler passed at home when I was gone, she was old, deaf and wobbly and I knew it could happen any day. Sure is strange not having her bug me to rub her ears out here on the porch.
Posted By: kroo88 Re: Great Old Gal Crosses Over - 08/16/19
RIP Cookie

Good girl
Sorry, brother. Good girl, Cookie. Good girl.
Dog lovers understand how you feel. Sorry for your loss. Hasbeen
Damn...
I really hate seeing these posts.
The pain goes right through my heart.
You were very fortunate to have such a fine hunting dog and companion. Hardly a tougher day when we lose a dog, I know..... I’m glad to hear that you put her to rest in a place that she loved. I always do the same. Sorry for your loss.
Posted By: jwall Re: Great Old Gal Crosses Over - 08/16/19
Most sincere sympathy.

For myself, remembering good times, FUN you had together, Great hunts,
et. al. helps balance the loss.

Jerry
Sorry to hear you had to say goodbye.

Good girl Cookie.
Condolences for your loss.
Originally Posted by Bristoe

+100. May she rest in peace
This is one of the main reasons why I had to give up owning Brittanies. They were like losing children. Too much heartache.

Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
This is one of the main reasons why I had to give up owning Brittanies. They were like losing children. Too much heartache.

I lost my Brits (JR and Daisy) in the mid 90’s at 15 and 14 years old. I still think of them.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Great Old Gal Crosses Over - 08/16/19
For those of us that have more love for most dogs, than most people you meet these days....
I believe in a heaven, especially for dogs..

Dogs are man's greatest companions.. she'll be waiting for ya Safari when its your time...

Sounds you've already enjoyed many years of having a wonderful friend...that alone is a blessing, both for you and Cookie..

The pics show she was a beautiful looking animal....
Dogs and humans
2 species that evolved together over 10,s of thousands of years.

Best thing that ever happened in the grand scheme of things!
Very sad. My Cookie passed away 4 years ago I can't get over losing her. We had her for 17 years.
Originally Posted by luv2safari
My beloved Cookie crossed over today and now rests in a cottonwood grove where she loved to hunt doves and quail. I'm so sad right now I need to go.

I want to thank everyone who followed her and my other setters here and shared our times afield. She was a truly grand old girl. As some here know who hunted over her, she always retrieved the downed birds to me, regardless of who shot them. wink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Jim got this blue grouse from me. Cookie knew who to take it to.
[Linked Image]

Sorry to hear this, Bruce. Cookie sure was easy to love, sure knew her job. If a bird dropped out of the sky Bruce must have shot it and that's who it's gonna be delivered to. Fond memories of that day!
Man, sorry to hear that, L2S.
Sorry to hear this!
Few things worse than loosing a great dog!
Sorry to hear. Our 10 year old Pooh Retriever has cancer pretty bad and took a turn for the worse a few nights ago. I shot her full of steroids last night because she could no longer eat or drink. If that doesn't help she will take her last trip to the vet today. It will be rough especially for my 5 year old daughter who loves her so much.

Bb
the biggest price we pay for our dogs, is the pain of losing them.
Posted By: Diesel Re: Great Old Gal Crosses Over - 08/16/19
The response to losing one's good friend is proof positive of their place in our hearts. They are special creatures and their passing always leaves us empty. Near impossible to avoid the tears.

All dog lovers feel your pain, including me.
Posted By: mart Re: Great Old Gal Crosses Over - 08/16/19
I’m so sorry for your loss. They sure find away to wrap themselves around our hearts.
I have no words that adequately thank all the members for their kind thoughts.

One last photo of Cookie. To those who have a bit of her legacy still living with them here is how they looked many years ago.

Kindest Regards,
Bruce

[Linked Image]
Posted By: johnw Re: Great Old Gal Crosses Over - 08/16/19
No other loss is the same as a good dog gone.

Guessing her memory will live as long as your grandson.
Posted By: vapodog Re: Great Old Gal Crosses Over - 08/16/19
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
the biggest price we pay for our dogs, is the pain of losing them.

Truer words have never been said.
I just got back from the vet and can now genuinely say I know how you feel. Our Shammy is now on the other side too.

Bb
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I just got back from the vet and can now genuinely say I know how you feel. Our Shammy is now on the other side too.

Bb

You know my heart is with you and Shammy right now.
Originally Posted by Burleyboy

Bb

Man, I am as sorry for your loss as his, it's a tough nut whenever and to whoever it happens to. The sadness I felt losing my two, back to back in March and April is as fresh on my mind as if it were yesterday.
My new guy gives me comfort, but he is in and of himself, no dog ever replaces another, they are just another furry heart to love...
So sorry for your loss. I have a Britt that is 13.5 years old. Her hearing is pretty much gone and she sleeps a lot. She seems happy, though. I've been taking her on extra Ranger rides since it is too hot to run her in the fields.

Really hoping to get her on more birds this winter. Time will tell.

We know the pain we are setting ourselves up for when we get a dog. We do it anyway because...they are worth it.
Duchess is so like her mom. I know that look. I see it all the time. Best wishes, L2S. We know how it ends before it begins, but I am so sorry for you. And me.
Sorry about that.
There is no love quite like the love between a boy and his dog, no matter how old the boy may become.
My sympathies to you as well Burleyboy.
Rosie carrying on the legacy in her early fall 'do.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A BIG thank you for the pics!

She sure reminds me of her mom.

If anyone has any puppies out of any of my dogs or any on the way please contact me. Old one-eyed Jenny-Penny and ancient Rocky are all the white/orange guys I have left. Woody is a wild child from dogs other than mine and is enthusiastic and sweet-dispositioned, but he's black/white/with a little brown. I need a white/orange female for him. wink
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Great Old Gal Crosses Over - 09/09/19
sorry to hear this news Bruce, but you will never lose the good memories. enjoy the new one, too!
She was a beautiful girl. I am so sorry for your loss. I wish I had some words that could ease the sorrow but I don’t think they exist.

Take care my friend!
Posted By: las Re: Great Old Gal Crosses Over - 09/09/19
Sig line below
© 24hourcampfire