Home
Posted By: CharlieFoxtrot Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Alzheimer's. Been a rough 4 months. Got kicked out of a place for "behavior" at 86 years old in a walker. Came to the point where no one would take him. They sent him out of state. I called over 40 homes. Finally found him a place nearby where they treated him like gold. Hospice took over a few days ago. The transition was a peaceful one.

He was a good dad. The best. He was married to my mom for 62 years. No college. 4 years in the Air Force during Korea and another 12 in reserves. 800 in his class at Lackland. 748 went to Korea. He and his twin brother were in the 52 that flew stateside for the most part. Was in with Johnny Cash. MOS was FE in a C-119. Supplied the building of the DEW line from Alaska to Greenland and Iceland. Flew into Gitmo supplying the troops during the Bay of Pigs. Had a distinguished career for 34 years with the Dept of Defense afterwards. He got to enjoy retirement for 20 years before the disease took over.

His compass always pointed True North. He always said, do the right thing and you'll always be able look at the guy in the mirror.

I am proud to be his son. I will miss him.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Very sorry about that.

Sounded like a fine fellow.
Posted By: Dennis81082 Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Sad day, sorry for the loss of a good man.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
God bless and be with him. Amen.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Condolences to you and your family.
Posted By: Sprint11 Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Very sorry for your loss. He does sound like a man to emulate and one that you are very proud of. I'm sure he was proud of you too. God bless.
Posted By: 673 Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Sorry for your loss, he sounds like a good dad.
Posted By: HawkI Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
A proud son is about the greatest honor that could bestowed upon any man.

RIP.
Posted By: Higginez Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Sorry man.

Sounds like he was a great man.
Posted By: achadwick Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Originally Posted by HawkI

RIP.

This^^^^

Posted By: ol_mike Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
CharlieFoxtrot ,

Sorry to hear of your Dads passing - may he rest in peace .
Prayers for you & family .

Mike
Posted By: JackRyan Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
My condolences to you and your family Charley.
Posted By: funshooter Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Very sorry to hear My Condolences
Posted By: Otter Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Condolences and prayers for you and your family. Alzheimer's is a terrible affliction. Sad.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Condolences and sorry for the loss to your family....

I've know a zillion guys who had a similar life story like your dad... military vets that served their nation and our citizens...

Never recall meeting one that wasn't someone to look up to and appreciate all they did,
not only for our country... but stand up people for their family, their community and fellow citizens...

I know he is with friends and loved ones, once again.. where they will forever be young, happy and know nothing but a peaceful and loving environment...

a Salute of Respect and appreciation to your dad for his service to our nation.

The nation has one less hero tonight among us...
Posted By: Morewood Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Originally Posted by HawkI

Your insight gave me pause this evening. Thank you. You nailed it but forgot about a father's daughter.

My condolences to you and your family, Charliefoxtrot.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Condolences.
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Sounds like lived a fulfilling life and is now at peace.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Damn man...

Lost my dad almost 40 years ago....

You never get over it. trust me.
Posted By: watch4bear Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
do the right thing and you'll always be able look at the guy in the mirror.

Sound words. Condolences Pard.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Thanks for telling about your Dad and sharing you pride and love for him. I am sorry for your loss.
Posted By: killahog Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Your father was a great Man and I appreciate his service to our country.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Very sorry about that.

Sounded like a fine fellow.

Yep. Tough time ahead but it gets better with time. 20 years for me.
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
sorry to hear of your loss. he is at peace now. prayers from Arizona
Posted By: Brazos Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Condolences, and hopes for peace.
Posted By: kk alaska Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
My condolences may he RIP.
Posted By: Ranger_Green Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
The quality of that man was shown by the efforts of his on to have him taken care of in a proper manner. I am sorry for your loss. It sounds like quality beget quality and he had you to help him.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Your dad was gold! Condolences to you and your family losing him to a horrible disease. šŸ˜Ž
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
CF . . . I hope you realize how fortunate you are to have had your dad for such a long part of your life. He was a blessing to you. Fond memories.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Condolences.
Posted By: 7mmbuster Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Sorry to hear of your loss. Your family will be in my prayers.
Rest assured that he'll always be a part of you. My Dad's been gone almost 10 years now, but there's never a day that I don't remember something we did and smile. I hope it'll be the same for you.
7mm
Posted By: Mac84 Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Sorry for your loss Charlie
Posted By: 1Akshooter Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Big ouch Pard, the pain usually eases with time. What you said about him reminds me of my Dad. I hate being and orphan and was blessed with good parents. I am sure you have many good memories to cherish and share with others. The pain God allows us to feel is often relative to the amount of love we had for the one who has passed.

Lord please comfort this man and his loved ones and thanks for always being there for us.
Posted By: RogueHunter Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Prayers sent North
Posted By: Deans Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
My condolences to you and your family. Prayers sent.
Posted By: SKane Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot

I am proud to be his son.

Those few words speak volumes.
Condolences on your loss.
Posted By: WVGuy Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
I am sad for your loss. Your dad is at peace.
Posted By: Sako76 Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Charlie--sorry for your loss, I just put both my parents in a nursing home, my mother has Alzheimer's, a terrible disease.
Posted By: Gypsy_Wind Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Condolences. He sounds like a good man and a credit to his family and country. Sorry the end was rough because of that damnable disease.

May he now Rest In Peace and your family grieve and begin to heal.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
My sincerest condolences on the loss of your Dad, I am truly sorry pal.

I'm just down the road, if you need something let me know. If ya wanna get away for a little bit and go fishing shoot me a pm.

Stand strong and proud bud.
Posted By: hanco Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Sorry for your loss! RIP
Posted By: lapua6547 Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Condolences to you and your family. May he rest in peace.

Alzheimers sucks.
Posted By: bluefish Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
May your dad RIP.
Posted By: worriedman Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Sorry to hear of his passing, lost my Pop last November, it is not an easy thing.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Condolences sent. I was only 22 when my father died, so didn't get to spend much time with him. Glad you were able to have that much time with yours.
Posted By: CrowRifle Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Another warrior passes. My condolences to you and your family.
Posted By: IZH27 Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Thank you for letting us know about your dad and his life. You are a fortunate man to have had such a father. I pray that he is one of a long line of such men within your family.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Please accept my sincere condonlences for your lose.

Watching and trying to manage a parent's decline in mental acuity is always difficult.

It sounds like you have a lot of good memories to look back upon and smile about.
Posted By: Gun_Geezer Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Glad to hear the story of a fine mine and a Great American. Sorry to hear he has passed.
Posted By: hicountry Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Sorry to hear that.

Please accept my condolences
Posted By: saddlering Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
So Sorry Brother! mine been gone for 10 years now! Moms in a home now at age 86 with that Dam Alzheimers! her Mother had it also so I know what you went thru!
Posted By: efw Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Very sorry to hear of your loss!
Posted By: Sasha_and_Abby Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
There are no words... rest assured he is in God's loving arms.
Posted By: bugs4 Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
General George Patton. . . . . . . . "We should not sorrow that such men have died.. . . rather we should rejoice that they lived."
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Every time I read one of these it's just crushing to know what folks are going through. Been there done that, but I was only 21 at the time. My thoughts, prayers, and deepest condolences to you sir. May he rest in peace.
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
I am sorry for your loss. Your father sounds like a remarkable man. My father passed away in 2003. I still miss him very much.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19

Very sorry.
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Sorry to hear of your loss. Your family will be in my prayers.
Rest assured that he'll always be a part of you. My Dad's been gone almost 10 years now, but there's never a day that I don't remember something we did and smile. I hope it'll be the same for you.
7mm

Going on 17 years for me 7mm and I agree with you. We never forget our dad's and the good times. They are an eternal blessing to us.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Alzheimerā€™s is tough, and even tougher on the family. Iā€™m sure youā€™ve done him proud.

One thing I think Iā€™ve learned over the years about fatherhood is that at some point we have to relinquish being the ā€œbossā€ and trust our kids to be the decision makers. It seems so much family drama could be avoided and the final years would be the best years. But, thatā€™s only going to come with good upbringing of children, and unfortunately lacking in this day.
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Iā€™m sorry, that it a terrible way to go!
Posted By: Redneck Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
I'm very sorry to learn of your loss... Alzheimers is a miserable disease..
Posted By: 338Rem Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Always tough to lose a parent. Sounds like he was a good man and a father. RIP
Posted By: WV_Airedale Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Sorry for your loss. Sounds like he was a great Dad
Posted By: tzone Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Iā€™m so sorry to ready this. I pray for you and your family. Very sorry for your loss, sir.
Posted By: texasbatman Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
WOW!!! What a wonderful tribute to a fine man by an even finer son. I am so sorry to hear of your loss. You have many fine memories of him and he will never be truly gone as long as you live. RIP Sir and thanks for your service.

Jim
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Sorry for your loss, but it sounds as though he has found peace at last. Keep the good memories alive.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
I am just horrible at penning anything meaningful in threads like this. I am very sorry for your loss. I hope the sadness you feel quickly subsides and your reflections on your father bring a smile to your face.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Alzheimer's. Been a rough 4 months. Got kicked out of a place for "behavior" at 86 years old in a walker. Came to the point where no one would take him. They sent him out of state. I called over 40 homes. Finally found him a place nearby where they treated him like gold. Hospice took over a few days ago. The transition was a peaceful one.

He was a good dad. The best. He was married to my mom for 62 years. No college. 4 years in the Air Force during Korea and another 12 in reserves. 800 in his class at Lackland. 748 went to Korea. He and his twin brother were in the 52 that flew stateside for the most part. Was in with Johnny Cash. MOS was FE in a C-119. Supplied the building of the DEW line from Alaska to Greenland and Iceland. Flew into Gitmo supplying the troops during the Bay of Pigs. Had a distinguished career for 34 years with the Dept of Defense afterwards. He got to enjoy retirement for 20 years before the disease took over.

His compass always pointed True North. He always said, do the right thing and you'll always be able look at the guy in the mirror.

Sorry about your dad.
He might have crossed paths with my grandfather. He was assigned to the supplying of the DEW line construction materials also as loadmaster.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Sorry for your loss. Sounds like he was a good man. Lost my Dad a little over a year ago, so I know what your going through.
Posted By: RS308MX Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Please accept my deepest condolences to you and your family. May God Bless you all. My dad was an Army combat vet of the Forgotten War. I lost him in '98. Awful hard thing to handle, losing your dad. Prayers sent.

Bob
Posted By: memtb Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
CharlieFoxtrot, Sorry to hear of your Dadā€™s passing. I know that it hurts and leaves a big void in your heart, but it sounds as if he were a great Dad. You will always have the memories to carry with you. I lost my Dad several years ago, he also was a veteran....serving in WWII. Our Thoughts, Prayers, and Condolences to You and Your Family. memtb
Posted By: kellory Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19

A fitting eulogy for a true man. A man who made a clear, and positive impression. A role model.
My condolences, sir. This hits home with me, because my own father has been on borrowed time for the last couple of years. I do not envy you the pain in your heart, and I dread my own.
Salutes to the fallen warrior, prayers to the family.
Posted By: oldtrapper Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Sons really know their dads, and your comments are the finest eulogy. My sincere condolences. Glad he had a faithful son who found him a good place in his last days here. Godspeed.
Posted By: 280shooter Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
May he R.I.P.
Posted By: DubThomas Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Prayers up for you and your family.
Posted By: tomk Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
My condolences.

My mom went the same way. Terrible disease.
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Sorry for your loss my friend.
Posted By: RickyD Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
He sounds like an awesome Dad! You were both blessed. May he rest in Peace.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
I have not read all the posts but, to me there is no good time to lose a parent. We all will have our time. It sounds like he came to his. May God bless all, and leaving good memories is about the best you can give.
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
My heartfelt condolences...you just joined " a Club that no one wants to join". It does "get better", but now is the time to grieve and heal. God bless. Rev Jim
Posted By: Prwlr Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Posted By: RAS Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
To have his son do a write up like this, there is no doubt that his life was a meaningful one. And the apple never falls far from the tree.

God bless. Lost my dad on Thanksgiving in 2015.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Alzheimer's is a horrible disease. I'm sorry you had to deal with that. Both of my parents are gone, but I was fortunate that both of them were mentally sound to the end.
Posted By: RJY66 Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
My condolences to you and your family. I lost my Dad suddenly 6 years ago.
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
You had a great father. Condolences to you and your family
Posted By: Scotty Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Sorry for your loss. Praying for you and your family.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Sorry to hear this. Prayers and condolences for you and your family.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Another of the greatest generation, gone to his reward.

I know youā€™re proud of his service and who he was as a man.

Seems memories and relationships are all we ultimately end up with, all else is perishable.

May the Peace of the Lord be your comfort and solace.

DF
Posted By: BwanaND Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Sorry for your loss and thanks to your dad for his service.
Posted By: Filaman Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Condolences from my family to yours. We lost my dad in 2007. He was 6 days away from his 86th birthday. He was a Pilot in the Eighth Air Force in England and Belgium in WWII.

He had spells of dementia but not Alzheimers. Medication would bring his mind back. He had Parkinsons. He was doing ok with it until he fell down on the driveway and broke his hip. That weakened him and caused him to aspirate his food. That caused pneumonia. They put him in the nursing home and put a feeding tube in him. He was doing ok until his Medicare ran out and we had to bring him home. Then the doctor took the feeding tube out. It didn't take a day for pneumonia to set in and he lasted two weeks. It sucks to see your parents go down like that.

Anyway, God Bless your dad and comfort your family. No matter how much you think you're prepared to lose them, you're never ready for that day. If you love your parents as much as it appears you do and I do, It sucks.
Posted By: rflshtr Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Condolences on your loss of a fine father. Remember the good times. May both of you be at peace, free from a horrible disease.
Sorry for your loss. My dad passed 33 years ago and I still miss him. Wish I could have one more beer with him and talk hunting and fishing.
Posted By: jar Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
sad news , very sorry to hear, we will keep you and yours in our family prayers.
Posted By: g5m Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
My condolences.
Posted By: tdbob Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
My condolences to you, your family and his friends.
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Sorry for your loss
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Sorry to hear about your father. Prayers sent for you and the family.
Posted By: rong Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
thoughts go out to you and your family,
Posted By: scottishkat Re: Lost my dad today - 08/16/19
Sorry for your loss brother my dad was an army vet in Korea. Still harvesting whitetails at 88. I've hunted with him pretty near every year since I was ballast in the canoe at about 8 years old. My mom has dementia in a home and has behavior problems and difficulty accepting current circumstances.

Praying for y'all
Posted By: 19352012 Re: Lost my dad today - 08/17/19
I'm sorry for your loss. I can relate. Today is my Dad's funeral. Dad was 75 and had been in failing health for a long time. He was loved and he will be missed. He taught me to love the Lord and love my family and hunt and fish. He wasn't perfect but he was a great guy. See you again someday, Dad.
Posted By: ihookem Re: Lost my dad today - 08/30/19
Charlie, my dad was at Thule Airforce Base in northern Greenland . He died 2 yrs ago at 84. My dad was there in 1952 and 1953.
Posted By: RichardAustin Re: Lost my dad today - 08/30/19
Condolences. Was a very nice tribute.
© 24hourcampfire