Home
Posted By: hanco My last water heater rodeo - 08/19/19
This is probably my last set of heater to pipe. I’m retiring before long. We had a 750,000 BTU Sellers boiler develop a hole in the tank. We replaced with two 200,000 BTU heaters.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://a66.tinypic.com/18eou9.jpg[/img]
Posted By: kid0917 Re: My last water heater rodeo - 08/19/19
I have a feeling, you will be quite busy, after retiring!
Nice!

My wife needs a setup like that so she won't run out all the hot water when she takes her hour long shower at 375*

laugh
Nice neat work. You can tell a fellow that takes pride in what he does. Good Job!
Ahem....

I believe the term you are looking for is “HOT water heater”!

wink
What the hell are you heating? A swimming pool?
Ironbender, pretty funny. I'll bite. Why would you heat it if it is already hot water? As in Hot Water Heater? Almost as bad as a double negative! Be Well. Rusty
Good looking job....I hate plumbing so leave it to guys like you...a pro.
Neat job, they still solder joints?
Posted By: Bristoe Re: My last water heater rodeo - 08/19/19
That's some slick copper tubing work.
Originally Posted by Rustyzipper
Ironbender, pretty funny. I'll bite. Why would you heat it if it is already hot water? As in Hot Water Heater? Almost as bad as a double negative! Be Well. Rusty

I think you get it rusty. Tongue-in-cheek.
Posted By: hanco Re: My last water heater rodeo - 08/19/19
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Yep we still solder copper, those two heat water for a high school kitchen and half of the high school that has 4000 students. There is a big Sellers boiler on the other end that supplies hot water for athletics and the science area. These two new heaters are much more efficient than the old boiler, plus they don’t have to be drained and torn down for state inspection every two years.
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
What the hell are you heating? A swimming pool?

The swimming pool is heated by the heating hot water, passing through a heat exchanger.
Side question, why do they like hot water, or steam heat for large buildings like schools, and churches?

The old, and I mean old, boiler in our church is high maintainice , would force air work?
They like it because it is cost effective, large complexes will have underground steam from a central plant to each building, sometimes underground chill water also.
Nice work!
Originally Posted by Oldman3
Nice neat work. You can tell a fellow that takes pride in what he does. Good Job!

Thats for sure.

Very professional.
Posted By: cisco1 Re: My last water heater rodeo - 08/20/19

Pretty Skookum job !
I’ve said the same about our last Outage at the power plant, never again. 35+ straight days 7/12’s, no thanks. Pay checks were fat, but I don't need them anymore.
Damn clean work!
Posted By: Steve Re: My last water heater rodeo - 08/20/19
What's this?

[Linked Image]
Hate to say it but, I called the plumber and paid to have mine replace when I look at in the garage one day and saw water at it's base. Nice work, hard to find folks who still can do that.
Clean looking work, Hanco, and congrats on the upcoming retirement. FWIW, this month marks 22 years in the trade for me. Only 20 more to go.😁
I love seeing trade work that resembles art. Hanco, I am sure your clients will hate to see you go. Enjoy your retirement!
Posted By: hanco Re: My last water heater rodeo - 08/20/19
Originally Posted by Steve
What's this?

[Linked Image]

Hot water circulating pump. There is probably 1500 feet of pipe in that system, starts off 3”, gets smaller as it goes, 1” return from the end of the system comes back to pump, then into cold water supply. A check valve on the cold before return ties in keeps hot water from backfeeding into cold. There is a check valve by the circulating pump also.
Posted By: Steve Re: My last water heater rodeo - 08/20/19
Originally Posted by hanco

Hot water circulating pump. There is probably 1500 feet of pipe in that system, starts off 3”, gets smaller as it goes, 1” return from the end of the system comes back to pump, then into cold water supply. A check valve on the cold before return ties in keeps hot water from backfeeding into cold. There is a check valve by the circulating pump also.
\

Ah... Got it. Have a similar setup build into our on-demand system. Have it on a timer for mornings and evenings.
They like it because it is cost effective, large complexes will have underground steam from a central plant to each building, sometimes underground chill water also.

Along with you can transport heat with water or steam.
Air is very inefficient at carrying heat.

Insulate the pipes and cities move steam for long distances,
hot air runs soon get cold. We have a co-gen electric power plant
that provides steam to a nearby city. They pipe it about a mile to get to town,
No idea how far it goes. If you tried to push hot air that far, it would be warm air at best.
Posted By: Redneck Re: My last water heater rodeo - 08/20/19
Great Scott! Try taking a shorter shower...... What in the world needs that much hot water, unless you're running a yuge business that requires it...
I’ve installed plumbing in custom homes that had two hundred gallon water heaters, those are for half of a high school.
I’ve installed plumbing in custom homes that had two hundred gallon water heaters, those are for half of a high school.

^^^ This ^^^^ Most I have seen have 2 big heaters or a combination of a Rinnai'[s and heater.

BTW nice work, always great to see stuff routed and installed correctly
Sometimes we install a small boiler in combination with a storage tank, but I prefer two heaters. If one has a problem, you aren’t out of luck.
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
I love seeing trade work that resembles art. Hanco, I am sure your clients will hate to see you go. Enjoy your retirement!

David, that’s real nice work. It’s always nice to see what a craftsman can do. As to missing you the people in charge expect work like this. They are surprised when everyone can’t do it when your gone. Hasbeen
Thanks, we have a few more that can do nice work, but they are old like me, the rest, not too good.
Posted By: Redneck Re: My last water heater rodeo - 08/20/19
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Yep we still solder copper, those two heat water for a high school kitchen and half of the high school that has 4000 students.
Ok, now it all makes sense... laugh And yes, that's a damn fine job of installation... Kudos..
DAMN I'M IMPRESSED. Fine work right there.
I worked commercial construction for a very long time, have seen good work and bad work. This is very good clean work!
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Nice!

My wife needs a setup like that so she won't run out all the hot water when she takes her hour long shower at 375*

laugh

Mine does the same thing! I often wonder how she doesn't burn her skin right off! I didn't think I had the water heaters up to the temperature of the sun, but apparently I do!

Elk Country
© 24hourcampfire