Home
Posted By: rockinbbar Fed Agency Says.. - 08/21/19
Set a/c no cooler than 78* in daytime, and 82* at night....

Bwahahahaha! laugh

Maybe I'll listen to them more when they start paying my electric bill.... whistle

How cool do you like to keep your house in the summer?

Energy Star, a joint federal program run by the Department of Energy and the Environmental Protection Agency, recommends keeping your house at 78 degrees—and that’s when you’re home.

It’s all subjective, of course, but does that seem a little on the warm side? If you think so, the recommendations don’t get much better.

If you’re not at home and have a programmable thermostat, the guidelines call for setting it at 85 degrees. At night, Energy Star recommends 82 degrees.

So to recap, Energy Star’s recommendations are as follows:

*78 degrees when you’re home
*85 degrees when you’re at work or away
*82 degrees when you’re sleeping

The Department of Energy says you’ll save about three percent on your utility bill for every degree you raise the set temperature on your thermostat during the summer.

https://fox59.com/2019/08/20/energy-star-wants-you-to-keep-your-home-at-78-degrees-in-the-summer/
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Fed Agency Says.. - 08/21/19
they must not like ac.i wouldn't even use it at those temps.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Fed Agency Says.. - 08/21/19
How bout 72 day and night............works for me.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Fed Agency Says.. - 08/21/19
They are fools, Typical dot gov.

It's a lot harder to cool than it is to heat, leaving your air at 76 day and night will use less electricity than moving it up and down and having to re-cool the house a couple of times a day.
Posted By: ShortMagFan Re: Fed Agency Says.. - 08/21/19
78 was the setting when we were young and just gettin by to save some on the power bill. 73 now...we do set them to 80 when we are gone for the weekend
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Fed Agency Says.. - 08/21/19
Originally Posted by 12344mag
They are fools, Typical dot gov.

It's a lot harder to cool than it is to heat, leaving your air at 76 day and night will use less electricity than moving it up and down and having to re-cool the house a couple of times a day.

There ya go!

'Tis much more efficient to maintain a cooler temp than to cool it down after it gets set on 85.
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Fed Agency Says.. - 08/21/19
If I can't see my breath and there's no frost on the windows, it's not set low enough.
Posted By: tpcollins Re: Fed Agency Says.. - 08/21/19
Unelected bureaucrats . . . 73 during the day, 77 at night.

In the winter I think the heat is 76 and 72 at night.
Posted By: krp Re: Fed Agency Says.. - 08/21/19
Ours is at a constant 80... which is comfortable when it's 115 out like today.

Humidity is a big factor also in comfort level.

Kent
Posted By: Redneck Re: Fed Agency Says.. - 08/21/19
Originally Posted by ShortMagFan
78 was the setting when we were young and just gettin by to save some on the power bill. 73 now...we do set them to 80 when we are gone for the weekend
Yup...
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Fed Agency Says.. - 08/21/19
No worries guys, I got enough carbon credits fer everyone here 😎
Posted By: 16bore Re: Fed Agency Says.. - 08/21/19
I’ll guarantee their offices aren’t that hot...
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Fed Agency Says.. - 08/21/19
Originally Posted by 16bore

Exactly. And they don't live in small-footprint green houses, and they don't drive all-electric cars, and they don't dine at home on only vegetable products, and they don't stacation, and.....
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Fed Agency Says.. - 08/21/19
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

Exactly. And they don't live in small-footprint green houses, and they don't drive all-electric cars, and they don't dine at home on only vegetable products, and they don't stacation, and.....

Do as we say not as we do.

And for what it is worth, we turn the air con on to 23 C in December and turn it off in April...and don't really care one iota what anyone says about it.
Posted By: The_Big_D Re: Fed Agency Says.. - 08/21/19
72f day when Im not home, 70f after 5pm and 66f at night, how you can sleep when its warmer than 72 baffles me. Sometimes I get up and drop it down to 64f even...
Posted By: krupp Re: Fed Agency Says.. - 08/21/19

Please Sir, I want some more.
Originally Posted by krupp

Please Sir, I want some more.

OH...that was neat !
Posted By: edapp Re: Fed Agency Says.. - 08/21/19
75/72 but with a window unit in the bedroom all summer.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Fed Agency Says.. - 08/21/19
68 all year.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Fed Agency Says.. - 08/21/19

May be if them offices are full of wimmens. You cannot satisfy them in an office setting. 1/2 are always cold, other half are always hot. Regardless of the time of year. They conspire with each other to make the HVAC and buildings supvr guys job a living nightmare of hell.
Posted By: 4winds Re: Fed Agency Says.. - 08/21/19
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

May be if them offices are full of wimmens. You cannot satisfy them in an office setting. 1/2 are always cold, other half are always hot. Regardless of the time of year. They conspire with each other to make the HVAC and buildings supvr guys job a living nightmare of hell.

WORD!

My wife dresses for the winter in the summer and has a blanket on hand at her office.
Originally Posted by 4winds

WORD!

My wife dresses for the winter in the summer and has a blanket on hand at her office.

Women are not equipped with a thermostat.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Women are not equipped with a thermostat.

Maybe not, but each and every one of them can in the dark and under bedclothes take their freezing cold feet and place them unerringly square on the back of a man's nice warm testicles.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Fed Agency Says.. - 08/21/19
My damn nose runs if it's below 78.

I used to have to run a heater under my desk at the engineer's office. The fat office ladies would crank it down to 72.

Suppose I'm wierd.

In my wierd defence, I have Leukopenia and wonky bone marrow.

I like it hot
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Fed Agency Says.. - 08/21/19

Bwahahahaha! laugh

Maybe I'll listen to them more when they start paying my electric bill.... whistle

Energy Star, a joint federal program run by the Department of Energy and the Environmental Protection Agency, recommends keeping your house at 78 degrees—and that’s when you’re home.

It’s all subjective, of course, but does that seem a little on the warm side? If you think so, the recommendations don’t get much better.

If you’re not at home and have a programmable thermostat, the guidelines call for setting it at 85 degrees. At night, Energy Star recommends 82 degrees.

The Department of Energy says you’ll save about three percent on your utility bill for every degree you raise the set temperature on your thermostat during the summer.

https://fox59.com/2019/08/20/energy-star-wants-you-to-keep-your-home-at-78-degrees-in-the-summer/
No, you'll pay attention when they finally decide to spend the money to remotely control your house thermostat themselves. It's coming. They've already tried to get everybody around here to install computerized thermostats that let the electric company control people's home temps to "prevent brownouts" during high use periods. Sooner or later they'll require this and/or have some way to get around your home thermostat and control it at the office.

F u c k the electric company. They're currently f u c k i n g everybody up the ass with windmills.
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Bwahahahaha! laugh

No, you'll pay attention when they finally decide to spend the money to remotely control your house thermostat themselves. It's coming. They've already tried to get everybody around here to install computerized thermostats that let the electric company control people's home temps to "prevent brownouts" during high use periods. Sooner or later they'll require this and/or have some way to get around your home thermostat and control it at the office.

F u c k the electric company. They're currently f u c k i n g everybody up the ass with windmills.

That is being pushed here, and so far as I am concerned they can go get stuffed.
Posted By: sse Re: Fed Agency Says.. - 08/21/19

jimmy carter said that in 1974
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Fed Agency Says.. - 08/21/19
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Bwahahahaha! laugh

That is being pushed here, and so far as I am concerned they can go get stuffed.
It's all about control. Sooner or later they'll force it on everybody. If I hit the Powerball, I'm going with a total solar setup.
Posted By: Dixie_Dude Re: Fed Agency Says.. - 08/21/19
We had a heat wave several years ago. Preacher had the thermostats set to about 70 before the service began. Some women were complaining about how cold it was. Preacher said when everyone gets in their and after the song service it warmed up quite a bit. He said you can always put on more clothes, be he wasn't taking off any. He said it got hot up there preaching. Made sense to me. Men put off 60 btu's an hour, women 40 btu's an hour body heat. You get 100 people in a room split 50-50, and the congregation puts off 5,000 btu's of heat. Quite a bit. That is why restaurants seem colder, a lot of people build up heat. If you are cooler you eat more hot food. These government workers haven't been in the deep south during a heat wave. Once you turn that ac up, it is hard to get back down. Like some have said, keep it down, the same temp around the clock. Most people sleep better at cooler temps.
Posted By: kennyd Re: Fed Agency Says.. - 08/21/19
Is that the same people who say the grid is fully capable of taking on an electric cars for all us?
I have evap cooling and they still try to get me to install a remote controller. Workmate had one put in and his AC quit running
Posted By: Whiptail Re: Fed Agency Says.. - 08/21/19

I set it to 80 during the day and 77 at night.
You know it's hot when 80 feels cool and refreshing.
Posted By: PJGunner Re: Fed Agency Says.. - 08/21/19
Mine stays set at 79* 24/7 this time of year. Come late fall through winter it's set at 70*. I have no plans to change that at any time regardless of what Tucson Electric Power may want me to do. Yesterday and today we are under an extreme heat warning with a forecast high of 109.
Paul B.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Fed Agency Says.. - 08/21/19
Originally Posted by horse1
68 all year.

Very Reaganesque.... I agree.
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Fed Agency Says.. - 08/21/19
68 day/66 night in Winter. Cooling is 75 24/7.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Fed Agency Says.. - 08/21/19
Opened the windows last night, turned on the fans.

Woke to 56-58 degrees. Temp outside will approach 90F today. Didn't run the window A/C in the master bdrm yesterday and the house didn't get over 75.

Planning on the same for today.

I love this time of year with the nearly 50 degree temperature swings.

Geno

PS, good insulation and thermal curtains help a whole bunch. The new deck cover we installed on the west side of the house too. Keeps the afternoon sun off 25' of the side of the house.

PS, and I'll agree with some of the other desert dwellers. 80 in the house feels downright chilly when it's over 110F.
Posted By: 6mm250 Re: Fed Agency Says.. - 08/21/19
74 from spring until fall , it gets set & never touched.

My electric company tells me I use more than average electricity than my neighbors. They are full of schit. You know how I know they are full of schit ? A large percentage of my neighbors live in old ass houses that have 2x4 exterior walls with little or no insulation. My house has 2x6 exterior walls with R19 in the walls , R30 in the attic , R25 in the floor.
You know another way I know they are full of schit ? My electric bills are lower than most of my neighbors , year round.

Mike
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Fed Agency Says.. - 08/21/19
Set mine on 68 and it only comes on about 10 days during the summer.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Fed Agency Says.. - 08/21/19
Mine is set on 72 for ac and 70 for heat. It is never touched.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Fed Agency Says.. - 08/21/19
Yup as well when humidity is extremely low 79-80 inside with a slight fan breeze can seem nice when its 100+ outside. Interesting thats how AC works best with a 20 degree split between intake and output. The low night temps really make it more bearable. I can drop the inside temp to 65-67 in about two hours from 5am to 7am when the temp is at least 59 outside. Close up house and it doesn't hit 78-80 till 6-7pm this time of year.

A push of Mid Pacific moisture is gonna move in the next five days and keep the night temps high also raising humidity a little. Sucks.

Originally Posted by Valsdad
Opened the windows last night, turned on the fans.

Woke to 56-58 degrees. Temp outside will approach 90F today. Didn't run the window A/C in the master bdrm yesterday and the house didn't get over 75.

Planning on the same for today.

I love this time of year with the nearly 50 degree temperature swings.

Geno

PS, good insulation and thermal curtains help a whole bunch. The new deck cover we installed on the west side of the house too. Keeps the afternoon sun off 25' of the side of the house.

PS, and I'll agree with some of the other desert dwellers. 80 in the house feels downright chilly when it's over 110F.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Fed Agency Says.. - 08/21/19
we are tightwads. have to be. Have never made much money.

So we did a lot of testing.

The best thing I found is moving to Alaska. 58 in the house this morning and no AC.. LMAO.

In TX keeping it on 82 during the day, then 78-80 when we get home, then 76-78 about an hour before bedtime till time to get up, kept it cool, and the bill the lowest.

Why you would warm it up to sleep is nuts to me.

Keeping at 85 during the day was working the unit to hard to catch up. Less than 82 it was running a bit to much and cool when no one was there but Tiger.
Posted By: hanco Re: Fed Agency Says.. - 08/21/19
78 during the day, we turn bedroom system down to 71 at night.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Fed Agency Says.. - 08/21/19

This ^^^^^^
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Fed Agency Says.. - 08/21/19
In this high, dry climate, nights will normally be 30F cooler than the days, maybe more. We open the windows at sundown and by morning, the house will be 68-70. Close it up and we won't use the a/c until 3pm or later. Then we set it for 75 so it comes on before the house gets hot. It's easier and cheaper to keep it cool than it is to get it cool. It's 2pm, outside is 91, inside is 73, a/c isn't turned on yet.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Fed Agency Says.. - 08/21/19
we got by for many, many years opening the windows at night and putting a box fan in one to draw air in or out. Then close the windows and draw the shades shortly after sunup. The house would stay cool through most of the day. And I always slept best under an open window.

Today, it is all central air. 74 degrees in the summer and 68 in the winter.

But if I was to consider these ridiculous .gov recommendations, they would be reversed. There is no way I am sleeping at 82 degrees.

It is hitting 100 in the days here right now. But I am walking out the door at 6:00 AM to 56 to 60 degrees. I sure as hell am not going to turn the furnace on during the night.
The electricity I burn staying comfortable right now, comes back to me during the winter.

I'm so hot natured, I very rarely turn the heater on. If I get up in the morning in winter and it has dropped into the 50's inside, I'll warm things up with the heater, and shut it off after it warms to about 65... smile
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Fed Agency Says.. - 08/21/19
Originally Posted by The_Big_D
72f day when Im not home, 70f after 5pm and 66f at night, how you can sleep when its warmer than 72 baffles me. Sometimes I get up and drop it down to 64f even...

How heavy is your blanket?
Holy fudgk

64f ???

What are you diabetic or menopausal?

May be if them offices are full of wimmens. You cannot satisfy them in an office setting. 1/2 are always cold, other half are always hot. Depending on their time of the month.
78-79 here. Its plenty cool at night with a little fan hitting me.

Shades of Jimmuh Carter. 65 in winter had his wife crying.

https://www.nytimes.com/1979/07/11/...it-for-public-buildings-this-summer.html
Be sitting in 100f dove field for 6,7 hours. Week after next.

Not a lick of shade cept for my greg norman hat.

No "union steward" to bitch and cry to.

Some of you gals would die. 😄😄
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Fed Agency Says.. - 08/21/19
I'd sweat just sitting here at 78*. We keep it at 70 durng the day and turn it down to 62 at night. I need it cool to sleep comfortably.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Fed Agency Says.. - 08/21/19
Tough crowd. I'm guessing you guys don't follow the dietary guidelines either.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Fed Agency Says.. - 08/21/19
Originally Posted by slumlord
Be sitting in 100f dove field for 6,7 hours. Week after next.

Not a lick of shade cept for my greg norman hat.

No "union steward" to bitch and cry to.

Some of you gals would die. 😄😄
On the other hand, I can stay out hunting all day at -10 and be perfectly comfortable. Normally won't even put gloves on unless it's below 20*. I can't remember it ever getting to 100* here in my lifetime thank God. It has gotten to 97* a few times and I thought for sure I'd died and gone to hell.
© 24hourcampfire