Home
Actors not known as a cowboy actor. Chariton Heston was one of mine.
Kenneth Branagh
They make movies that aren't westerns?

grin
Too many to list.

Probably Steven Segal.
Feet to fire...........Probably Robert Shaw.

Or Michael Caine.....
Ah, Barry, this might have been west of somewhere.[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Ah, Barry, this might have been west of somewhere.[Linked Image]

I liked pretty much everything about Mr. Heston. Including his stance on the 2nd Amendment. smile
Daniel Day Lewis
Well, there was a Soylent Green comment earlier......
Stallone
Jean Reno

Gerard Depardieu

John Candy
Tom Sellek, one of the very few conservatives in the industry.
Denzell Washington. Epitome of cool in The Equalizer, Book of Eli, and a dozen others.
[Linked Image]
Yosemite Sam
Burt Lancaster
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Too many to list.

Probably Steven Segal.

Jim, they said actor. Not non acting, arrogant, [bleep]..
Jimmy Stewart. One of my favorite actors and also a Brigadier General in the Air force who completed 20 bomb runs in Europe in WWII and also flew on bomb runs over Vietnam.
Wabigoon: Clint Eastwood (of course he was superb as both a "cowboy" and a modern LEO).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Gotta go with Tom Cruise.
Originally Posted by ironbender
Gotta go with Tom Cruise.

He can't act fer schitt. Every movie he's in he's just Tom Cruise.
I can't think of one offhand,...but whoever it is, he's from back before they all turned into Commie homosexuals.

,...and that means that it was a long time ago.
Cuba Gooding Jr.
Kevin Spacey (before MeToo)
Jimmy Stewart
foreign films...I like Italian movies.

[Linked Image]
Why does Jimmy Stewart keep coming up as a non-western actor?

The Man who shot Liberty Valance is one of the best westerns ever made.
Seen Edward Norton play a geek in one movie & an enraged killer in another, he can handle a variety of rolls. That's an actor.
Kirk Douglas, The Vikings and Lonely are the Brave were my life modelsgrin

OOOODDDDIIIIIIN

mike r
Some, if not most actors back when movies were worth making did both types of films.
Chuck Norris
Jennifer Love Hewitt. Don't care much for male actors. Ghost whisperer!!
Best is tough...let me think on this.
Originally Posted by Morewood
Why does Jimmy Stewart keep coming up as a non-western actor?

The Man who shot Liberty Valance is one of the best westerns ever made.

He was with Henry Fonda in Cheyenne Social Club. He made a bunch of westerns back in the 50's & 60's.
Ray Liotta
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Best is tough...let me think on this.

I'll have to say Tom Hanks, great body of work.

Deniro was great but went the commie route...

Clint is always good.

Morgan Freeman was solid.

Gary Oldman is terrific.

The list is long.
Dustin Hoffman has to be the most talented actor to ever work in Hollywood. So versatile, Little Big Man, The Graduate, Lenny, Rainman, Hook, Straw Dogs, All the President's Men, Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium.................

But I like Tom Selleck's work just as well, with the exception of Magnum PI.
This is great acting...

Sam Elliott does it all
Denzel makes good movies.
Anthony Hopkins
Gary Oldman
Clint Eastwood and Tom Selleck.
Jon Voight.
Al Pacino is another who should be mentioned. Hanks and Hoffman are way up there. Billy Bob Thornton was phenomenal in "Slingblade."
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by SandBilly
Jon Voight.

I forgot about him. He’s a great actor and also very conservative. Big Trump supporter too.

Tom Hanks is a good actor as some mentioned but I can’t forgive his sorry ass being a HUGE Obama & Clinton supporter and donor. 😡
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Al Pacino is another who should be mentioned. Hanks and Hoffman are way up there. Billy Bob Thornton was phenomenal in "Slingblade."

I can’t remember if Billy Bob Thornton got an Oscar for Sling Blade or not, but he damn sure should have! Too bad he’s another damn Clinton lover.
Lee Marvin, Burt Lancaster, Jeff Bridges, Josh Brolin, Harry Cary Jr., Patrick Swayze, Kevin Bacon.
Originally Posted by walt501
Jimmy Stewart. One of my favorite actors and also a Brigadier General in the Air force who completed 20 bomb runs in Europe in WWII and also flew on bomb runs over Vietnam.

Jimmy Stewart has starred in a long list of Westerns.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Clint Eastwood and Tom Selleck.

Clint Eastwood a "non-Western" actor?
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
. . . But I like Tom Selleck's work just as well, with the exception of Magnum PI.

Was Magnum PI that TV series where he drove around in Hawaii in that gray Ferrari?
Goodman, one of the greatest characters ever.

As the avatar says, James Garner.
Rockford was ahead of its time!
John Candy

Denzel and Morgan Freeman are 2 of the best...
This thread clearly needs a moderator to determine the definition of Western actors vs. Non-Western actors.

I nominate OrangeOkie and Lee Van Cleef.
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
. . . But I like Tom Selleck's work just as well, with the exception of Magnum PI.

Was Magnum PI that TV series where he drove around in Hawaii in that gray Ferrari?

It was a red Ferrari. But yes, that was Magnum PI.
And it was almost as good are better than James Garner’s “Rockford Files”
It was a red Ferrari. But yes, that was Magnum PI. . . .

It was a gray Ferrari on my B&W TV! grin

😁 One of my favorite TV shows from that era. 🤠
KITT from Knight Rider.
Originally Posted by Barkoff
As the avatar says, James Garner.
Rockford was ahead of its time!

Yep!
Originally Posted by slumlord
KITT from Knight Rider.

LOL. He was a better actor than David Hasselhoff.

Of the more recent crop of actors, Tom Hardy, has got all the rest beat by a long shot in my opinion.

Way too many outstanding old school actors to pick a favorite and besides most all were cast in many different roles which also included Westerns.
Gary Oldman. He's played a variety of characters and has been convincing in every one of them.

[Linked Image]

Peter Sellers was one of my favorites too, mostly due to the Pink Panther movies.
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Daniel Day Lewis

Bingo.
Kurt Russell has starred in westerns, but I dont think he is considered a western actor and that's who Ill go with.
Charlton Heston played in Westerns but is more remembered for other parts. Great actor, great American.
Confusing title only made more confusing by responses. By non western, do you mean the movie genre or ethnicity/race/country of origin etc.?
Bruce Lee
Originally Posted by RiverRider

I can’t remember if Billy Bob Thornton got an Oscar for Sling Blade or not, but he damn sure should have! Too bad he’s another damn Clinton lover.

Dwight Yoakum should have got an oscar too for that movie...

Favorite non western actor for me would be Tom Hardy...Kevin Hart and the Rock would be honorable mention not for great acting skills but just seem like they are cool people in real life..
Maxim Monguzhukovich Munzuk

He played Dersu Uzala in the Kurosawa movie of the same name.
Sean Connery -Michael Caine-Man Who Would Be King
Peter O’Toole-Lawrence of Arabia
Toshiro Mifune-Seven Samurai
Anthony Hopkins-Worlds Fastest Indian
Bill Murray
John Candy
Tom Hanks
Dustin Hoffman
Oliver reed
[Linked Image]
Hanco, that's your FAVORITE actor?
Humphrey Bogart
Surprised no one has mentioned Jack Nicholson. Didn't like all his movies, but he was very good in some of them. Adam Sandler is a very good actor also. Martin Sheen was good in some of his. Richard Boone could play the badass quite well, but I can't recall him being in anything that wasn't a western.
Most of my favorite actors starred in Westerns..............John Wayne, of course known as the ultimate Western star, but the list includes Gary Cooper, Errol Flynn, Clark Gable, James Stewart, and some others.

When I think of a famous actor that didn't play in any Westerns that I know of, it would probably be Cary Grant.

Then there is Curly Howard.

Too many good actors to just pick a couple.....

But as to TV Shows, back in the early 80s.... it was Monday or Tuesday night that was my favorite night to watch TV

This was before MASH ended its TV run...

Magnum P.I. was on one channel... then when that ended, there was Simon and Simon coming on another Network..
and then when that ended, change the channel and Hill St Blues was on... my favorite 3 hours of TV EVER..

I think Hill St Blues was my favorite TV of all time...That is where I picked up what I call my Joyce Davenport Syndrome..
Veronica Hamel playing the Public Defender in the police station and then ended up involved discreetly with the station Captain,
Captain Furillo...Lord was that a great TV show....
BOGEY!!!
Small Screen

J. K. Simmons
Bryan Cranston

Big Screen

Mel Gibson
Russell Crowe
Robert Duval & Michael Caine in Secondhand lions. Duval played the cab driver in Bullitt. Did some westerns but like a Swiss Army knife.
Tommy Lee Jones also like a Swiss Army knife.
Morgan Freeman is top notch.
Denzel Washington is good all around.
Christopher Walken is great too. Has an interesting way about him.

Christopher Walken is great too. Has an interesting way about him.

Love that scene!!!
Keanu Reeves

And the winner is Russel Crowe followed by Tommy Lee Jones..
Jack Nicholson...…...
Almost every favorite actor named has wore cowboy boots and hats in at least one movie. Some named have starred in westerns.
Originally Posted by Seafire

Too many good actors to just pick a couple.....

But as to TV Shows, back in the early 80s.... it was Monday or Tuesday night that was my favorite night to watch TV

This was before MASH ended its TV run...

Magnum P.I. was on one channel... then when that ended, there was Simon and Simon coming on another Network..
and then when that ended, change the channel and Hill St Blues was on... my favorite 3 hours of TV EVER..

I think Hill St Blues was my favorite TV of all time...That is where I picked up what I call my Joyce Davenport Syndrome..
Veronica Hamel playing the Public Defender in the police station and then ended up involved discreetly with the station Captain,
Captain Furillo...Lord was that a great TV show....

Pizza man!
Great scene by Crowe here...

Great scene in a great movie ! “Some men get the world and some men get an ex hooker and a trip to Arizona”
Christopher Lloyd. Taxi and Back to the Future trilogy
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Too many to list.

Probably Steven Segal.

He said actor ......
Choices, choices. Too many to choose just one.
Jimmy Stewart. James Garner. Tom Hardy. Tommy Lee Jones. Tom Hanks. Lee Marvin. Denzel Washington. Morgan Freeman. Robert Duval.
Robin Williams. Sean Connery. Harrison Ford. Mathew McConaughey. Tom Selleck. Val Kilmer. Dennis Haysbert. Will Smith. And the list goes on.
Lots of good ones,
Robert Duvall would be at the top of my list.
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
Almost every favorite actor named has wore cowboy boots and hats in at least one movie. Some named have starred in westerns.

Heck, I even spotted Beaver's Dad, Ward Cleaver (Hugh Beaumont) in an old western as a gunslinger. Laughed my ass off. He never did shed that Beaver's Dad typecast.
Probably Tom Hanks...
Most actors are pretty 1 demental and fit a serton type role...
Tom hank has proven to be able to do it all. From saving privet Ryan to chick flicks...to forest gump. And many others...he always does a great job...

Definitely one of my favorite movies...and at the top of my list to get on video...

the other one of the same time period... Gangster Squad...

yeah, kinda corny, but I love'em both....
Originally Posted by TheSOB
Christopher Lloyd. Taxi and Back to the Future trilogy

Walken and DeNiro at the top of their game.

I would consider Robert Duval a western actor, between lonesome dove, open range, etc.
Brandi love

Presley Hart

Keisha Grey

BiBi Jones

I no particular order or rotation.
Originally Posted by bigshot1975
Brandi love

Presley Hart

Keisha Grey

BiBi Jones

I no particular order or rotation.

Those are actresses. This thread is for actors.
Cole Hauser and Timothy Oliphant.
The first actors to come to mind were Bogart, Hackman, and Kurt Russell, but there are many more who should make the list. Anyone mention Benny Hill yet, or Mr Bean? No? Good.
+
Originally Posted by killerv
I would consider Robert Duval a western actor, between lonesome dove, open range, etc.

Also the Roster Cogburn movie.
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER

And the list of favorite actors who have starred in Westerns goes on...
Dustin Hoffman has to be the most talented actor to ever work in Hollywood. So versatile, Little Big Man, The Graduate, Lenny, Rainman, Hook, Straw Dogs, All the President's Men, Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium.................

But I like Tom Selleck's work just as well, with the exception of Magnum PI.

Have you ever read about how Hoffman prepared for the Rainman part? He spend months living with a family with an autistic teenage son. He learned to duplicate the boy's speech, movements, and everything else about him. When he was in front of the camera, he WAS autistic.
Jackie Chan - he's non-Western.
Tom Hardy.
Really like Jason Statham. Quality actor.

Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
Jackie Chan - he's non-Western.

Chan was in at least one western “Shanghai Noon”

Even Denzel has acted in a Western now with the lead role in the remake of Magnificent Seven, as did Vincent D'Onofrio.
Originally Posted by RichardAustin

I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man.

Lots of good ones already mentioned. Michael Keaton ways always one of my favorites. He's a good goofball- Night Shift, Gung Ho, Mr. Mom. He can be intense- Batman, Pacific Heights, Clean and Sober. Steve Martin turned into a darn good actor. And Ed Norton plays one of the better Douche bags.

Originally Posted by RichardAustin

And, "The Great Northfield Minnesota Raid", Joe Kidd", "Broken Trail", "Geronimo" ...
Then it depends how far back you want to go. [Linked Image]
Jimmy Stewart easily.
I realize he made a bunch of westerns, but the movies he's best known for are nearly all dramas and romance. Stewart could play the tough grizzled cowhand, but he could just as well play the star eyed dreamer or any other role. There are few as good as he was, and none better.
7mm

Then it depends how far back you want to go. [Linked Image]

Wabigoon in the Blockbuster days I constantly had the Chaplin movies rented, one of my all time favorite comedians. Great pick.
© 24hourcampfire