Home
Posted By: Toddly Crazy Lightning Strike - 08/24/19
Watching the pga tour and during weather delay lightning struck into a walking crowd. 4 people down. All caught on camera. No link yet.
Posted By: wageslave Re: Crazy Lightning Strike - 08/24/19
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Crazy Lightning Strike - 08/24/19
I guess i was wrong............Golf's not as boring to watch as I had originally thought!
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Crazy Lightning Strike - 08/24/19
Electrifying!!
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Crazy Lightning Strike - 08/24/19
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Electrifying!!

laugh
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Crazy Lightning Strike - 08/24/19
You knew someone was gonna post this... smile

Posted By: LeroyBeans Re: Crazy Lightning Strike - 08/24/19
Bummer. I hope those hurt recover okay. Can't imagine getting hit by something like that.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Crazy Lightning Strike - 08/24/19
Official word is six injured by debris from the tree that was hit. All taken to hospital, but none life threatening. All good news.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Crazy Lightning Strike - 08/24/19
Usually distant thunder is the first clue. Then progressively closer.....a little more......maybe a little more.

After the 2nd distant rumble, I start
back to the truck if...uhhh, I'm 1/8 mile out.

That's my typical protocol for turkey hunting with an 835 mossberg lightning rod or being way out in a plowed field.

* in no way am I implying that golf fans are morons
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Crazy Lightning Strike - 08/24/19
Leroy, I've take peripheral lightning hits twice. Burns and whole-body muscle spasms that HURT. I golf, and I do NOT mess with lightning. I figure the third time will not be my charm!
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Crazy Lightning Strike - 08/24/19
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Leroy, I've take peripheral lightning hits twice. Burns and whole-body muscle spasms that HURT. I golf, and I do NOT mess with lightning. I figure the third time will not be my charm!

Lucky dood. Usually those step charges go in one leg and out the other rather then a path through the heart. Even then there's no telling. Knew a ham operator who had an antenna hit by lightning. Coax was open so he started trimming to bypass the burned part - couldn't see any damage. Turned out that the center conductor was burned open exactly every so many inches for the wholel ength of the transmission line. Strange stuff.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Crazy Lightning Strike - 08/25/19
Rule to follow: if you can hear thunder, you're in danger of being hit by lightning.

Many other factors of course, but that's the place to start.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Usually distant thunder is the first clue. Then progressively closer.....a little more......maybe a little more.

After the 2nd distant rumble, I start
back to the truck if...uhhh, I'm 1/8 mile out.

That's my typical protocol for turkey hunting with an 835 mossberg lightning rod or being way out in a plowed field.

* in no way am I implying that golf fans are morons

^^^This^^^

I’ve even left my old 870 laying out in the middle of a field before when lightning and thunder moved in and I hauled ass for the truck.

I saw lightning hit our combine that Dad was standing on once when we were harvesting wheat when I was in HS. I told him I was getting my ass in the truck. It hit about 3 minutes after I got in the truck. He was damn lucky that day. Just knocked him silly and shook him up pretty good. But he never made that mistake again. 🤠
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Crazy Lightning Strike - 08/25/19
I thought all those tournaments had weather people that monitor the local radar and National Weather Service data constantly. At a local event around here last year they cleared everyone off the course and there was nothing threatening in sight but I guess it was heading in their direction. Better safe than sorry. Glad to hear nobody got killed.
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Crazy Lightning Strike - 08/25/19
There is a tree on my course that was struck last year and survived. Then it was struck again this year and killed. Then I got to looking more closely and there are three other trees within a hundred yards or so right along that same fairway edge that have been struck in the last year or two.

I know the last place in the world I will ever go in the event of a storm.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
You knew someone was gonna post this... smile

LOL

What was that old golfer joke ?

“Even God can’t hit a 1 iron” 😜
Originally Posted by ironbender
Rule to follow: if you can hear thunder, you're in danger of being hit by lightning.

Many other factors of course, but that's the place to start.

Damn Straight! Good rule to follow!!!
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Crazy Lightning Strike - 08/25/19

Take a tip from Chi Chi Rodriguez. "Not even God can hit a 1 iron."
Posted By: reivertom Re: Crazy Lightning Strike - 08/25/19
You're not always safe indoors either! I know a lady that was on a land line (old type) phone during a thunder storm, and lightening struck close to her house and went into her brain through the phone line. She was never quite the same. She had symptoms like a stroke and had to learn how to walk and talk again, and lost most of her memories of her children, etc. After that our family is really careful about phones and household plumbing during storms.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Crazy Lightning Strike - 08/25/19
Lightning can hit with no warning.
Somewhere will get the first bolt.

Always poo pooed lightning. Seen the damage, understood it,
But the odds, come on, get real.

Big storm here one day, grilling supper outside the basement door.
Pouring rain, thunder, I move the grill so I can stand inside, grill out.
Water getting in on the cement, I'm barefoot. Standing there about 2 feet
from the furnace, about 5 foot from the chimney.

Now we're eating supper, lightning everywhere hellish.
Huge flash of light, house shakes, I think it hit behind the neighbors.
Eat a bite, someone beats on my door, then starts jerking on the knob.
I open it, the neighbor rushes in worked up.
He is talking a mile a minute,
"Youallok? Wheresyourdog"?

I ask what's wrong,
"Lightninghityourhouse"

"No" i said, "behind the other neighbors".

"You better look, your chimney is gone".

Bricks everywhere, split right to the foundation.

I had just moved away from there, barefoot, on a wet cement floor.

The odds?

NO ONE showers or does any risky stuff with lightning in my house, anymore!
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Crazy Lightning Strike - 08/25/19
I know a fellow that’s been directly hit by lightning 2x the first time stopped his heart and he had to be resuscitated the last blew the bottom out his feet he’s still hobbling around but when a thunder storm is near you don’t see him
Posted By: 54Woody Re: Crazy Lightning Strike - 08/25/19
PGA officials had suspended play and told all to seek safe cover 30 minutes before the strike. There was a hospitality tent near the strike and in the video you can see a few people walking by just before the bolt hit. PGA took proper precautions but I guess not everyone heeded the warning.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Crazy Lightning Strike - 08/25/19
In ground school you are taught that you may encounter lightning in clear air within 5 miles of a thunderhead. All I know is I'm not going to physically challenge that assertion.
Posted By: LeroyBeans Re: Crazy Lightning Strike - 08/25/19

I've been on AZ mountains in monsoon season and had that tingling sensation of static electricity building. I just bailed for the lowest, places I could get to the fastest, off the ridges and down into the canyons. But that's not always enough for some unlucky people. Never been very close to an actual strike however. At least 100 yds to the closest I think. Good enough for me.

I've seen a few trees on my property and elsewhere blown to pieces by lightening. I don't want to even think of what it would do to a person.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Crazy Lightning Strike - 08/25/19
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Electrifying!!

Winner winner....
[Linked Image]
Cool picture, but a minute later they were dead.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: fester Re: Crazy Lightning Strike - 08/25/19
My grandpa got nailed while riding his horse in his Montana pasture....... dead.
Posted By: cowdoc Re: Crazy Lightning Strike - 08/25/19
I've been in the mountains more than once during a thunderstorm, and have a healthy respect for lightning.

Elk hunting Colorado, I had just spent about 2 hours serious effort to get on a ridge I wanted to hunt. A gentle sprinkle of rain started and became enough I thought I should get my poncho on before I got really wet. I leaned my pack & rifle against the tallest tree at the top of the ridge. No hint of lightning yet.

Just then I heard a low rumble of thunder way off, like 20 miles away? I'm thinking I need to pay attention and if it gets closer I need to get off this ridge. Just as my head poked thru the poncho I was blinded by the atomic flash about 300 yards down the ridge. Ears ringing, smell the ozone close.

Pack & rifle on my back in about 5 seconds, I ran downhill in 3 minutes what took me 40 minutes to climb!
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Crazy Lightning Strike - 08/25/19
Some years ago I was bow hunting along a ridge in a heavy snow storm. Then the fireworks started. Because of the heavy clouds and falling snow, I couldn't see the lightning but I could sure hear the thunder, all around me. I've never bailed off a ridge so fast in my life. I went straight down off that thing.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Crazy Lightning Strike - 08/25/19
When I was a kid my Dad and I were riding horses. Rain started coming in so we ran them back to the house...gates were closed and we didn't want to take time to open gates etc...drive in basement door was open and the truck was out so we ran up to there, dismounted, and led the horses in. Stood there inside the door just watching it rain. Lighting hit a corner post on the fence about 90-100 yards away and blew the bottom of it out. It was LOUD. I don't know who jumped more, the horses or us. Luckily the horses didn't go ape crap and settled down quick. My ears rang for a long time.

We lost horses and cattle to lighting several times when I was a kid. Every couple of years I'll lose an electric fence charger to it. I NEVER work on a fence when there's a chance of lighting.

We have an exchange student staying with us and our kids this year. He's amazed at the thunder storms and lightening.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Crazy Lightning Strike - 08/25/19
hole in one, guess god can make one.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weat...ique-hole-in-one-on-golf-course/70009143

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Windfall Re: Crazy Lightning Strike - 08/25/19
We were up north a couple weeks back when the wildest lightning storm that I've ever seen went through just south of us. It was like a strobe light with a flash every second or so. It had straight line winds and tornadoes that turned Oconto County into an official disaster area. Two years ago a strike hundreds of yards away knocked out two of our HDMI TV connections.

Closest that I've ever been was trolling for salmon out on Lake Michigan. I had a Sage carbon fishing pole in the pole holder and I could hear some rumbling off in the distance, so I knew that something was coming. I went to reach for that rod (lightning rods are carbon) and there was a blue flame of static electricity that met my hand! Never again. There was a warning on that rod about lightning, but I didn't believe it until right then.
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: Crazy Lightning Strike - 08/25/19
Scary stuff for sure
© 24hourcampfire