Home
Posted By: wabigoon Your Dog, and Strangers? - 08/25/19
We had a birthday party tonight for grandson Gilbert. Lots of people, we kept our dog Lilly on a leash.

How does your dog take to strange people?
Our two dogs are fine.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Your Dog, and Strangers? - 08/25/19
I got a pitbull so she kills them and I bury them in the back yard..........
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Your Dog, and Strangers? - 08/25/19
Well Paul, methinks we well meet at a neutral place should we ever get together. laugh
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Your Dog, and Strangers? - 08/25/19
I kind of count on dogs to let me know whether or not I am welcome.
Brady the ladies man redbone coon hound aka grand dog.
Everyone is a new friend to him.
But then again hounds are one of the oldest breeds of dogs socialized to humans.

My three dogs.
Cookie
Rico
Blackjack

Think that only 5 people exist on this planet to protect and love.
They do their job.
I'm a responsible owner.
They guard their people, home, and their fenced back yard.
Posted By: Mathsr Re: Your Dog, and Strangers? - 08/25/19
My dog almost always barks at someone she doesn't know until she knows that I am ok with them being here. Delivery people always ask if she bites and I'll usually tell them that she has never bitten the same person twice...
Best damned dog I ever had was a half healer / half coyote male a Vet gave me when I worked at the Vet School while attending TAMU. That dog HATED groids and wetbacks!
And if he ever barked you’d damn sure better go outside with a gun in your hand !!!
My beagle mix wants to go everywhere with me. I take him every place I can. He likes everybody and enjoys attention. My German Shepherd wants to eat everybody she sees.
Shelties do not cotton up to strangers. If you can't deal with that don't get a sheltie. She was not bad, we just don't want to have our dog make company uncomfortable.
Posted By: ldholton Re: Your Dog, and Strangers? - 08/25/19
Pair of heelers ...so very protective
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Your Dog, and Strangers? - 08/25/19
Originally Posted by 12344mag

I’m about as strange as they get, she didn’t kill me!!
Posted By: kecatt Re: Your Dog, and Strangers? - 08/25/19
Our black mouth cur is a very good watch dog. Raises a ruckus to announce someone is on the place. Once he knows you are "ok" then he's your best friend. I appreciate his work...
Originally Posted by Whelenman

I’m about as strange as they get, she didn’t kill me!!

You were lucky, she had gotten into the whiskey just before you got here.........

LMAO!
Posted By: mart Re: Your Dog, and Strangers? - 08/25/19
Our English Setter has a very throaty, intimidating bark but thinks everyone came to see her. She is completely devoted to my wife and me. One person though, a dropped off door to door sales person did set her off. She wouldn’t calm down. Only person she’s ever growled at. I told him it would be best if he moved on. I trust my dog’s instincts. Everyone else she is best buds with as soon as she sees I’m okay with them. Our old Brittany was the same. She’s blind and too old to do much now. Still likes to bark if the Setter gets going.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Your Dog, and Strangers? - 08/25/19
Always on a leash with a lot of unknown people about. Never had a problem but the best of them are still dogs and you never know. Even gentle Larry Brittany, didn't want him knocking down toddlers trying to make friends.

Did have a funny encounter. Had Lilly the Rat Girl on a leash. A relative had his ratter on a leash. For fun we let them get closer. Almost by agreement at a certain distance a growling contest started. A little closer and that stopped and they greeted each other as dogs do. Pull them back to the magic distance and growling again. We did this several times and same thing happened at the magic distance, like it was programmed.
Posted By: 19352012 Re: Your Dog, and Strangers? - 08/25/19
He shoves his face so far into their crotch that he sniffs their butthole. I think he likes them but I never really asked him.
Posted By: DMc Re: Your Dog, and Strangers? - 08/25/19
Mine wants to be friends with everyone. She's never taken an aggressive or threatening posture with anyone.
Posted By: las Re: Your Dog, and Strangers? - 08/25/19
It depends..... Mostly, 45 lb Honey Half-lab is good. Unless a stranger moves wrong. I think she thinks then that the person is reaching to pick up a stick ir rock. Teens and 20-somethings especially. She is a rescue dog out of a village, and she has gotten much better about that in the 14 months we have had her. a yard sale we had this summer, with her closely supervised, but free helped tremendously - all thse strangers didn't threaten to hurt her,after all.

You don't want to reach into the car unless she has been around you for an hour or two immediately before, either. Or phook with Mom any time similarily.
Posted By: las Re: Your Dog, and Strangers? - 08/25/19
Originally Posted by ironbender

LMAO!

You should, considering yours cringed when my 5 month old Dachshund attacked him tonight. And later accepted a French kiss from the little terror.

Them pit bull/mixes are real bad-asses....

Typical with what I have seen with Dachshunds and big dogs.. Big dogs are probably thinking, "WTF- I can't bite the little bastard, he's too smal!"

Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Your Dog, and Strangers? - 08/25/19
My chocolate lab is pretty vicious with strangers. She'll hold em down and lick em to death.
Posted By: Windfall Re: Your Dog, and Strangers? - 08/25/19
I had a 120# yellow labrador when I was a kid and mom would invite a lot of her lady friends over to the house. Being that large, he was intimidating but friendly as all get out. I always wanted to be there when mom opened the door because McGregor would put his cold wet nose up under their dresses and I loved to watch those snooty society women come unglued. "Bad dog, bad dog, terrible animal, he shouldn't do that".... Until next time as I stifled a smile.
Posted By: Squidge Re: Your Dog, and Strangers? - 08/25/19
Our youngest 4 year old dog is overly friendly to everyone, our 13 old year dog barks at strangers when they try to be friendly with her, she settles down when I tell folks to just ignore her and they do.
Posted By: poboy Re: Your Dog, and Strangers? - 08/25/19
My dog can't hold her "licker".
Posted By: Dutch Re: Your Dog, and Strangers? - 08/25/19
Drents tend to be rather vocal, so strangers get enthusiastically barked at until I tell them to settle down. Kids get loved on, until they poke a finger in their eye (ear, nose, rear end...) and then they get a very educational snarl. After introductions, it's their job to make sure strangers leave covered in their fair share of dog hair.
Posted By: WAM Re: Your Dog, and Strangers? - 08/25/19
My old black Lab is king, guardian, and protector of his domain, truck, and Mom. I think a recessive Mastiff gene surfaced. He doesn’t like messicans, blacks, ragheads, and other garden variety uddens either. He will bite your ass if you get near Mom or approach the duck blind while he’s guarding the lunch bucket. I’m going to miss him when he passes over the rainbow bridge.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Your Dog, and Strangers? - 08/25/19
Originally Posted by wabigoon
We had a birthday party tonight for grandson Gilbert. Lots of people, we kept our dog Lilly on a leash.

He is the MOST social GSD in the world....he's good with almost everyone. If he shows signs of not liking them I trust him implicitly and stay the hell away from them.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: smarquez Re: Your Dog, and Strangers? - 08/25/19
We have a mini Aussie that alerts, kind of an anxiety bark but if you toss one her toys you will be friends for life. She growled at one guy 2 camp spots over as soon as she saw him. It was a growl we never heard before or since. That guy got arrested the next day in camp for DV. Somehow she new a turd when she saw him. She is stranger shy but never aggressive.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Your Dog, and Strangers? - 08/25/19
Originally Posted by smarquez
We have a mini Aussie that alerts, kind of an anxiety bark but if you toss one her toys you will be friends for life. She growled at one guy 2 camp spots over as soon as she saw him. It was a growl we never heard before or since. That guy got arrested the next day in camp for DV. Somehow she new a turd when she saw him. She is stranger shy but never aggressive.

As mentioned in my post above: Trust The Dog implicitly!

Mine has only reacted twice, and on both occasions they were certifiable schitt bags....
Posted By: hanco Re: Your Dog, and Strangers? - 08/25/19
No dogs here!
Well Paul, methinks we well meet at a neutral place should we ever get together. laugh

We work as a team. wink
I have two setters. I told them if you see something say something. And they do. Hasbeen
It all depends, sometimes there are people we introduce to our dogs, people we trust and want to feel comfortable coming to the house...but if we are having a party, we always keep him leased.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Your Dog, and Strangers? - 08/27/19
This is security around our place. Nobody messes with anything. When you drive up, if you're in a car, she stands flat foot and looks you in the eye, while barking and the hair standing up on her back. When we go out and tell her it's ok, she'll shut up, but stand off to the side and watch you like a hawk. When Dad is selling fish, she lays within a step or two of him and watches everyone. When someone steps close to Dad (shaking hands or paying him) she gets between them, right at Dad's feet.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JackRyan Re: Your Dog, and Strangers? - 08/27/19
Duke had a big day today.

3 strangers showed up at the house and the yard. They are all gone now.
Our 2 labs and our German Shorthair are SUPER sweet and love people. They’re extremely well socialized to people and other pets, they also have good manners because I hate jumping and other behaviors that happens when dogs get excited or distracted. I forgot their leashes one time several years ago when we just had the 1 lab and the Shorthair and we were spending a couple of nights in a hotel. I walked through those hallways and when I stopped they sat, when I walked they were step for step half a step behind me. I never needed a leash and they ignored other animals. I received many compliments about their good behavior and several people thought they were service dogs.

I pride myself in having good, gentle and faithful dogs because life’s too short to spend yelling at a poorly trained dog.
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Your Dog, and Strangers? - 08/27/19
My last surviving dog is 3.5 lbs of chain lightning, a Chihuahua, but at 15 yrs old she has turned honey-badger. she just don;t care any more
LOL
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Your Dog, and Strangers? - 08/27/19
Originally Posted by DMc
Mine wants to be friends with everyone. She's never taken an aggressive or threatening posture with anyone.

Mine too ..... Usually goes in head first and then does a 180 for the compulsory butt scratch.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by ingwe

He is the MOST social GSD in the world....he's good with almost everyone. If he shows signs of not liking them I trust him implicitly and stay the hell away from them.

[Linked Image]

Posted before.

We had a Jack Russel mix, great dog, she was friendly with all, almost.

Guy came to our door one day, I invited him in, we had a bit of business.
He was standing in the door, as Casey came in the other side of the small kitchen (trailer).
She saw him, stopped dead, dropped almost flat, and started snarling.
Never saw that from her before.
We thought it was peculiar, and wondered what was wrong with her.

A few months later, that guy was charged with molesting young girls.
Then, he burned his ex-wife's trailer down, with her in it. So she couldnt
testify against him.

20 years later, if my dog don't trust you, I never will.

Current king of the house is a Boxer, Dillon Buck.
Typically, he is aloof with strangers.
Not friendly, not unfriendly.
Just watching them and assessing.
As soon as we are friendly with them, he loves them too.

Have had two people come here that he didn't like.
One an insurance adjuster, he bristled up, and stayed between the guy and my wife.
We looked at each other, and him, and kind of nodded.
Don't know what was wrong, but I believe something was.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Your Dog, and Strangers? - 08/27/19
Did somebody fart ?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bella, our 3 legged, 11yr old shepherd collie X is an amazing watch dog.

Has hated our neighbour, for the last 10 years. I trust her judgement implicitly !

Sophie, 1&1/2 yr old 110lb great dane rhodesian ridgeback X has learnt from the best. When the "ridge" is up & she's barking at you, you better make the right choice.

[Linked Image]

Don't go near Momma;

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jeffrey Re: Your Dog, and Strangers? - 08/27/19
I’ve got a pit. She is the bell of the ball every time we have people over. We had about 40 people at the house this past Saturday for a baby shower. She was in heaven and got lots of attention. No shortage of people to throw her ball for her.
My yellow Lab weighs a solid 105 lbs. When we have guests he is very calm, lays on his rug, and bothers no one. If anyone acts the least bit aggressive he will become very protective in a split second. He even growls at the "bad guys" on the TV. He is the same with other dogs, friendly and playful unless the other dog is aggressive.

I have seen the same traits in other Labs, very friendly until threatened and they can do some damage when necessary.
My dogs Tink and Grizz are barkers before i tell them to stop.

Now days with my Son's 3 month shepards and their 2 smaller dogs,even the Fed-ex guy will not get out of his truck.

The big dogs are 3 months and a year old,puppies.
Mine's a English Springer Spaniel now about 9.5 years old. Rescued her at 2.5 ,I live in the country with no nearby kids ,I tell adults to leave her alone and don't try to be her friend. When Miss Ruby decides she wants to be your friend she will tell you so. I don't know, guess like a lot of other females she is a might narrow tween the eyes. She picks her own friends, just that damn simple. She 's in the house at night and nothing moves that she doesn't know about, that's handy for a guy as hard of hearing as I am. Great bird dog and retrieves waterfowl, it will be hard to lose her when her time is up. MB
Posted By: sawbuck Re: Your Dog, and Strangers? - 08/27/19
I haven't had a Jehovah's Witness or anyone else exit their vehicle since my boys were 8 months old or so. Their mom is a Bel Malinois and their dad a Bernese MTN dog. They aren't vicious but look intimidating.
Posted By: Alamosa Re: Your Dog, and Strangers? - 08/27/19
Lotta barking if a vehicle stops on the road.
Even more if someone approaches the house. That barking will continue until my wife or myself greets the person.
Then, the unlucky visitor will get a thorough sniffing inspection by both heelers noses.

Out and about town is a different story - they evaluate each stranger as a potential source of a treat or cookie. They smile and work the cute dog angle are successful more often than I'd have ever thought.

One time, my wife went out to sign for a UPS package and the older heeler climbed into the brown truck to inspect the contents.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 3584ELK Re: Your Dog, and Strangers? - 08/27/19
2 GSD's...one a working line dog, and one is a mix of show and working line ancestry. The working line dog is relatively quiet, but a very serious dog. The other dog is a territorial barker and looks at you like you owe him money. Both need to be "released" by a household member with the secret word to let them relax. I get a lot of customer traffic and everyone respects the dogs for what they are. When the neighbor has one of his car racing buddies over, they both bark initially and than watch the activity. I sleep well.

Posted By: Bristoe Re: Your Dog, and Strangers? - 08/27/19
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
My yellow Lab weighs a solid 105 lbs. When we have guests he is very calm, lays on his rug, and bothers no one. If anyone acts the least bit aggressive he will become very protective in a split second. He even growls at the "bad guys" on the TV. He is the same with other dogs, friendly and playful unless the other dog is aggressive.

I have seen the same traits in other Labs, very friendly until threatened and they can do some damage when necessary.

My first Lab was friendly, but he was all business,...very protective of me when I was a teen. I didn't raise that dog. He just showed up one day and stuck around. He was past his prime when I got him. Extremely intelligent dog.

The one I got now I raised from a pup. He's had an easy life. I don't think he has any aggression in him. But he's never needed to. He's very bright and has always been very rough and tumble when interacting with other dogs. But it's always just been play with him.

My former neighbor had a well bred Malinois that had the potential to be a serious protection dog. It weighed about the same as my Lab and also liked to play rough. They would toss each other around pretty good. But neither one of them ever sshowed any aggression towards each other.
Posted By: shaman Re: Your Dog, and Strangers? - 08/27/19
Mine seem to have an uncanny knack for figuring out who's who.

KYHillChick is a massage therapist and does her work out of the house. Jaydog treats her clients like they are family. The Pizza Dude gets extra barks, because Jay knows there's food, but the tail wags. Anyone else gets barks and snarls until we tell him they're cool. I always use the word "Cool," My dogs have all understood "Cool." I should probably switch that to "Groovy" with the next dog so there's no mistakes.

With the whole long line of dogs we've had, they've all seemed good at figuring out who the good guys are. There have been a few slip-ups over the years, but no blood was ever drawn.
Posted By: hanco Re: Your Dog, and Strangers? - 08/27/19
Ain’t got no damn dog!
Posted By: Hudge Re: Your Dog, and Strangers? - 08/27/19
We have two dogs, one that we were told was a first generation Labradoodle. Good dog, but he's 10 now and stubborn as hell, and loves to bark. The Golden Retriever we have, is 3 and hardly ever barks. He is however a poop eater. Both of them will let bark like crazy if someone comes to the door. I think if someone decided to rob us, the dogs would bark and growl like crazy, and then show the robbers where all of our valuables are throughout the house.
Posted By: Alamosa Re: Your Dog, and Strangers? - 08/28/19
[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire