Home
Posted By: blairvt Tomahawk throwing - 09/05/19
I put up a target at my cabin and tried throwing awhile. Never stuck it it the target, not once. Anyone any good at it?
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Tomahawk throwing - 09/05/19
Ed Ames, from the Daniel Boone show was pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L5QC9ZJkM8
Posted By: 16bore Re: Tomahawk throwing - 09/05/19
Spin and timing!
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Tomahawk throwing - 09/05/19
I used to be. But since the old right shoulder isn’t what it used to be, it’s no longer possible. It’s easy. You’ll figger it out.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Tomahawk throwing - 09/05/19
i do once in awhile, have a coldsteel hawk.
Posted By: Springcove Re: Tomahawk throwing - 09/05/19
I won two T-shirt’s throwing axes at a beer festival in Salt Lake City 2 weeks ago. Does that count?
Posted By: leesway2 Re: Tomahawk throwing - 09/05/19
They just opened a bar here in Pensacola where ya can throw them while ya drink a cold beer,Hay what could go wrong.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Tomahawk throwing - 09/05/19
BillyGoatGruff
Posted By: kellory Re: Tomahawk throwing - 09/05/19
Yes, I can, but I prefer knives

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/14100950#Post14100950
Posted By: scoony Re: Tomahawk throwing - 09/05/19
Sister and her husband have an Escape Room business and added axe throwing last year. Not hard once you get the hang of it. Even my wife was sticking them.
I still have my old azz H&B Forge hawk I bought in ‘73. Also have a Joe de la Ronde forged French style hawk Ive had at least 35 years. Heck Ol’ Joe was at the Rocky Mtn National Rendezvous last July!
Posted By: 280shooter Re: Tomahawk throwing - 09/05/19
Go to an axe throwing establishment. They will have you going in short order.

The main thing seems to be consistency in throwing and release. Then adjust your distance to fit.
Posted By: doctor_Encore Re: Tomahawk throwing - 09/05/19
I enjoy throwing a tomahawk, I have two tomahawk stands at my gun club on wheels......just roll them out of the storage shed and start throwing.

I'ts all in the release....the .just adjust your feet forward or rearward half step at a time until you get a "stick".
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Tomahawk throwing - 09/05/19
Vicious, vicious weapon. Struck fear in white settlers across the plains.

Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Tomahawk throwing - 09/05/19
All you need to do is have a consistent release, same spot, same effort, from same spot on the handle. Be consistent. Then just look at what your tomahawk is doing, in regards to rotation. If your over rotating, the top of the head is hitting or the back of it move up a step or half step. If it's under rotating take a step back. Super easy man. You don't need to filing it with killing force, the weight of the head alone should stick it.

If I remember correctly you posted awhile back asking for recommendations on tomahawks to buy for this very purpose. What did you end up buying?

FWIW I make throwing tomahawks out of railroad spikes in a francisca pattern that aren't much as far as a real tool, but just for playing around throwing them it's damn hard not to make them stick.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Tomahawk throwing - 09/05/19
Wife & I went to a local knifemakers shop a while back, he's also in to making throwing Tomahawks.
He told us to give it a try, wife hit bullseye on first throw....and stuck it close on each try after.
He thought he had a sale for sure.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Tomahawk throwing - 09/05/19
Originally Posted by Springcove
I won two T-shirt’s throwing axes at a beer festival in Salt Lake City 2 weeks ago. Does that count?

Only if you said "hold my beer and watch this" before each throw.
Posted By: StoneCutter Re: Tomahawk throwing - 09/05/19
When I was 19, my college roommate and I got into throwing knives and axes. We got pretty good at it. Haven't thrown one in almost 40 years, but I think it's like riding a bicycle, you never forget.
One night back in the reenactors camp during the shoot of "The Patriot" , production told us all to be up at the big mess Tent at like 8:00 to watch out takes from the shoot so far. Our little group was all setting up left front by the exit. About 5 minutes after they started film a straggler came in and sat down with us. Last scene they showed us was the big ambush where Martin( Mel Gibson) throws and sticks his hawk in the forehead of the one lobsterback. My goofy little pard with me says out loud, "Damn!!!!!! I’m glad he’s on our side!!!" Guffaws followed.

The late straggler who walked in and set right in front of us turns around, looks at us laughing, and hurried back out the exit!!! It was Mel! LOL.

Posted By: JackRyan Re: Tomahawk throwing - 09/05/19
Get a box of tennis balls, baseballs, something like that. Take about 3-4 steps from the target and start throwing those at the target. When you start hitting it so often it is boring, pick up your tomahawk.
Posted By: mrchongo Re: Tomahawk throwing - 09/05/19
Originally Posted by scoony
Even my wife was sticking them.

I’m not thinkin’ that’s a skill I’d want my wife to have, thankyouverymuch!
Whole family used to throw when I had a hawk board in the front yard! Wife and kids! Kept the stupider neighbors away too! The cool neighbors would come throw with us!
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Tomahawk throwing - 09/05/19
Mel sure is inefficient in his attack. Great for the screen, though.

P
© 24hourcampfire