Home
Posted By: 5sdad I never will understand, - 09/05/19

and I don't intend to make the effort to do so: dew point. I get the definition, but I cannot make it useful in figuring out what it means to me. I have many short-comings; this is but one of them.
Posted By: SandBilly Re: I never will understand, - 09/05/19
Originally Posted by 5sdad

and I don't intend to make the effort to do so: dew point. I get the definition, but I cannot make it useful in figuring out what it means to me. I have many short-comings; this is but one of them.

Me neither. Until I started flying, then you better understand.
Posted By: kid0917 Re: I never will understand, - 09/05/19
don't beat yourself up about it man.
smile
Posted By: McInnis Re: I never will understand, - 09/05/19
The difference in the dew point of the air and it’s temperature is used to determine the relative humidity.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: I never will understand, - 09/05/19

Uh-huh, and I've got a bad ground.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: I never will understand, - 09/05/19
Do your feet get wet walking through the grass?
Posted By: 5sdad Re: I never will understand, - 09/05/19
Yup, and I can detect that quite quickly.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: I never will understand, - 09/05/19
Well, there you go then.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: I never will understand, - 09/05/19
Here's one use. Water vapor gives up a lot of heat when it condenses. So a decline in air temperature near the surface tends to stall out at the dew point while all that excess heat dissipates. Sometimes it stalls at the dew point all night.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: I never will understand, - 09/06/19
Answer #1 How long does it take before you can see through your windshield?
#2 How wet is your sleeping bag?

All other metrics may be irrelevant.

mike r
Posted By: czech1022 Re: I never will understand, - 09/06/19
It's actually easy. If nighttime temps drop to the dewpoint, dew will be deposited on the ground (or on your tent, or your car, etc.).

Fog also starts to form when temps drop to the dewpoint.

Air absorbs water like a sponge, from any available source - lakes, rivers, vegetation, sprinklers. And warmer air can hold more water than colder air. So if warm daytime air has been able to absorb lots of water, it's a good bet that when nighttime air cools down, it won't be able to hold all of it - so it condenses out as dew or fog.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: I never will understand, - 09/06/19
The dew point is simply the temperature point when the air releases its water content.

It’s like when you sweat. Your body reaches a temperature where it releases its water content.
Dew point in the 50s, pleasant.

Dew point in the 70s, oppressive.

Simple.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: I never will understand, - 09/06/19
I used to fly at night with the Army Guard. We could see the moisture coming down and condensing close to the ground. I guess you had to be there.

kwg
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: I never will understand, - 09/06/19
I've seen some pretty little biscuits with dew on them.
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: I never will understand, - 09/06/19
Didn't DewPoint use to own Remington?
Posted By: 5sdad Re: I never will understand, - 09/06/19
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Dew point in the 50s, pleasant.

Dew point in the 70s, oppressive.

Simple.

Thanks. That is the most useful response that I have seen. But still, so what?
For the love of Glob.....get yourself a sling psychrometer and get a going!
Bang a gong; get it on? smile
Posted By: NVhntr Re: I never will understand, - 09/06/19
Ask Gus, he'll know.
Pretty easy - it’s the surface temperature that water will condensate on outside.

70 is close to you external body temp, so when the dew point hits 70, sweat doesn’t evaporate off your body...

The higher the dew point, water starts to bead up on stuff that isn’t cold - like my beer should be
Originally Posted by 5sdad

It’s the temperature where water vapor in a gaseous state is sub-cooled and releases its heat, through the process of condensing, and the water vapor is changed from a gaseous state to a liquid state.

The temperature where it changes from gas to liquid is the dew point temperature.
The closer the dew point is to the ambient temperature, the higher the potential for fog to form.
Essentially, the air is saturated with vapor. Likewise, relative humidity rises.
Imagine that you have an egg in your hand.

Now...stomp on your left foot.

What happened to the egg?

See?

Easy.
Deep, Jim. Really deep.
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: I never will understand, - 09/06/19
if you got friend what stops at your place and ask for directions to nearest beer joint....dew point him in right direction!

Now....is dat so hard??
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Imagine that you have an egg in your hand.

Now...stomp on your left foot.

What happened to the egg?

See?

Easy.

Under suitable conditions, an egg becomes a chicken; and there are no chickens born of stones.
Gotta have just the right humidity to hatch an egg!
If the dew point number is within one or two degrees F you'll get fog. If the dew point is 40, and the temp is between 38-42 degrees F you'll likely have fog.
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
If the dew point number is within one or two degrees F you'll get fog. If the dew point is 40, and the temp is between 38-42 degrees F you'll likely have fog.

Ok.
Now explain Accuweather's RealFeel temperature.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: I never will understand, - 09/06/19
Originally Posted by Kyhilljack

Ok.

Ha,
I was just going to point out that my little home weather system has a temp readout and a "Feels Like" readout. Some folks believe it.

I've lived where it was well over 120F many times a summer........................and guess what, there weren't no "Heat Index" scheidt goin' on there either. When we saw 126 it was 126, no Index, it really was 126.

And yes..

Bang a gong, get it on.

Smoke a bong if ya' needs to.

Geno
Originally Posted by Kyhilljack

Ok.

They had to change it because most people didn’t pay attention in 8th grade science class and don’t understand “temperature humidity index” nor “wind chill”.
And let us not forget to park with our engine facing away from the wind.
It's all good.
I'm looking forward to seeing my first Dew of the season. It will prolly be in Montana.

I need a break from this Left Cost.
My brother has a degree from Ga. Tech. He loves to talk about the goddam dew point.
He spent a half hour explaining the dew point to me, and I still don't know what it is.

I used to deliver the Atlanta Journal Constitution in 1962, I was a paper boy, delivered it on my bicycle, had a big basket on the front.
And the motto of the Constitution, said it right on the mast head, was "COVERS DIXIE LIKE THE DEW."

Is that what the dew point is? When your paper boy has thrown your newspaper onto your porch.

water be freezin at 32 degrees, water be boilin' at 212, dat what I know!
HELL YES it's important!

All the old dog schidt in your lawn gets gooey and sticks to your shoes when it reaches dew point. shocked
Posted By: bkraft Re: I never will understand, - 09/07/19
I thought that relative humidity was the sweat on your balls after having sex with yer sister.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: I never will understand, - 09/07/19
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Gotta have just the right humidity to hatch an egg!

Does that humidity number change if the eggs is washed?

Asking for a friend.

Geno
© 24hourcampfire