Home
What do you do, and why? I once put a rifle up for sale at a local gun store, and when I told the guy the value of the scope, he poo pooed it, and said you never consider the value of the scope on the gun when you're pricing a rifle for resale. Since I'm considering auctioning a rifle, I thought I'd check with you folks to see if you agree with that. Seems wrong to me. If that's true, however, it seems like you should sell the scope separately.
nope
No one is going to bid them for what they are worth as a unit; they will bid on the rifle and expect the scope to ride along for free.
nope, rifle only, if the rings are special to the gun, then include the rings, you'll get more $$ selling the scope separate.
Sell seperate.

What is the rifle???
What is the scope???
Give us minons a shot!!!
Auction gonna wanta peice of the pie for sure.
LOL!!!
Sell separately
I always keep the scope. Broke dicks want that "thrown in" and don't appreciate the value.

Sell it seperate.
Originally Posted by hanco
Sell separately

This...

I also sell my pickups without the shells and sell the shells separately. The shell adds little to nothing to the sales price of the truck. Buyers are buying a rifle/truck. wink
Sell separately!
Geebus....sell it to some needy kid.
I'm thinking about selling a rifle, and right now I have a nice scope on it. I plan on selling the rifle either with or without the scope, at the buyer's option.

Some people just want a rifle that's ready to go.
Thanks for all the replies. Looks like they will be sold separately.
Yeah, sell them separately. People want a certain gun but the "perfect" scope for it depends on the user. Some like lots of magnification; others don't. Some like Leupolds; others Nikons.
I remember years ago, the local Gander Mountain had a used Remington Model Seven CDL in 350RM. I wanted it but they wanted way too much because it had a silver Nikon Buckmaster on it. I passed, but looking back, I should have gotten it.
I bought a pile of Simmons 22 mag scopes for $9ea at a closeout. Used to replace the good scope on every gun I took to a gun show.
What the others said! You can list rifle with "scope not included in sale but can be purchased separately for $XXX. Cheap scopes no biggie but most want a good scope as a bonus or for .25 cents on the dollar. Their way of pressuring a good deal for them, not so much for you. A lot of 'flippers' surf the forums buying up rifle/scope deals then reselling scopes on ebay. lfcrock the big dick on ebay does this on gunbroker under username 'preshone'. He then relists rifle for sometimes more than he paid and flips the scope on ebay where they fetch usually 25% or more than GB. My .02 cents worth.
Originally Posted by SDWhirlwind
What the others said! You can list rifle with "scope not included in sale but can be purchased separately for $XXX. Cheap scopes no biggie but most want a good scope as a bonus or for .25 cents on the dollar. Their way of pressuring a good deal for them, not so much for you. A lot of 'flippers' surf the forums buying up rifle/scope deals then reselling scopes on ebay. lfcrock the big dick on ebay does this on gunbroker under username 'preshone'. He then relists rifle for sometimes more than he paid and flips the scope on ebay where they fetch usually 25% or more than GB. My .02 cents worth.

Thanks. The scope will be sold on eBay, then.
Good call, people have their own scope preferences and don't want to pay for others
Scope no, rings=bargaining tool. Unless they are crap.
If a historic package then keep the parts together. For sure if numbers match.

Modern stuff, who cares?

Depends entirely on the value of the optic and whether it will be reflected in the final price.
Sell them separately. You'll get a lot more money that way. If its a good scope and you still have the box (that's a bonus), sell it on ebay. You'd be surprised what you can get out of a good used scope on ebay. Just be sure its a good scope.
Originally Posted by jbmi
nope, rifle only, if the rings are special to the gun, then include the rings, you'll get more $$ selling the scope separate.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Without a doubt THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

To sell the rifle with the scope, you are assuming 2 things. First, they want that scope (which with all the scopes on the market, it would be a real fluke if that was the one they wanted.
Second, You are assuming they don't have extra scopes to put on their new rifle if they get it. Which I highly doubt. I know very few people who don't have extra scopes and even if they do, the one they want to use, for that particular rifle, they may need to buy anyway.
This come from strictly a buyer:

I have never bought a rifle for the scope. However, I have bought a rifle because it was scoped. Sometimes it's hard to tell if a firearm has been properly D&T'd. If there's a scope on it, there's a better chance that it can be made to wear my scope without any fuss. If the rifle is a model that went through its whole mfg history being D&T'd at the factory, this is not a problem. That is not always the case.

I also would not be put off by a notice "Scope and Rings Not Included" in the description.
I have bought a rifle for the scope.
Rem. M7 with a 3x9 vari x-II, at a farm auction.
Looked at guns, no interest in a 243.

When they got to $200 looking for 1st bid, I did to make it move.
Had been looking to buy that exact scope, $240 at the time, so when it stopped
at $325, I jumped on it, came home at $365.
Got my scope, and a M7 that only cost $125.

19 years later, that scope has never been off the rifle. A Campfire member
gave me a youth stock for it, and for the last 4 years my oldest daughter has hunted it.
This year, the youngest Wil.

Anyway, I'm in the separate it camp. The best buys on used guns usually are packages.
When I had my shop used rifles were put on the rack the same way they came from the factory. Scopes, mounts, slings and other accessories were removed for separate sale.
If not in a hurry, maybe run two auctions... one with the scope... and one afterwards without.

Sometimes it is very nice to get a G2G package... especially when the glass is top shelf.

My CZ550 (9,3 Mauser) comes to mind... she is set-up and G2G with a nice Kahles

If no takers for fair money, strip her down and sell separate.

That kinda thing.
I never do... Rifle only, scope only...
Finding someone that likes your scope and rifle combination is much harder than finding a buyer for either one alone. When I sell the bases and rings go with the rifle, but not the scope.
Great advice. Glad I posted this.

Bases and rings will be included, but scope will be sold on eBay.
Sell it in the Classifieds here which are free. Why pay eBay's fee?
I sold them as a pair once (a nice combo, scope no longer made).

I regret it and trying to buy the scope back.

Now I only sell that way if the scope is something I know darn well I am not going to use again, or if it wouldn't sell for much on its own. I wouldn't sell a rifle with a premium scope sitting on top.
Originally Posted by jbmi

^^^^
In general, you will probably get more for them separately, but there are always exceptions. I think an older rifle that has been drilled and tapped for a vintage mount will be worth a lot more if they are together than separate. It really hurts the value of a rifle if there are some big ugly holes in it. Same with holes drilled and tapped for a receiver sight.

Also if the mounts are very unusual I think it is a mistake to spit them up. I saw a very fancy Sako at a gun show long ago with a unique claw mount with engraving on it, but no rings or scope. The seller didn't have them and it probably cut the value of the rifle by at least 50%.

Jerry
Iโ€™m glad that this thread was started. I may start eliminating several firearms, and was going a sell as a package deal.....apparently that is not the โ€œsmartโ€ way! Thanks! memtb
I always remove a quality scope before selling a rifle. In my 40+ years of gun buying, I've only once bought a gun because of the scope on it. That was a Winchester Hi-wall in .219 Zipper Improved that had a Redfield 3200 mounted on it. The rifle was advertised as a Lo-wall and I didn't look carefully, because I wanted the scope and the price was such that the rifle ended up costing me about $150 after the value of the scope was deducted. I'd planned to part the rifle out (a Lo-wall isn't really a good action for a cartridge as hot as a .219 Zipper Improved) and I only realized the seller's mistake (and mine) after getting the rifle home. Turned out that the rifle was a custom job by J.W. Van Patten, a fairly well known custom rifle smith from northeastern Pennsylvania who was active in the last half of the 20th century. Only real steal I've ever gotten in a gun deal.
Since we're beating on this subject a bit, another reason to remove the scope is that it could kill a potential sale.

A person might want the rifle but not the particular scope that's on it. Rather than pay "extra" for the scope they will look elsewhere.
One of the very few times the fire is in damn near total agreement...
If it's a Leupold, I tend to just leave it on there. Kidding, just kidding.
Us minons.
Will never be told or given the chance to buy the scope or rifle????

What the fugg is it TRH?????

Gawd......

LOL!!!
You can't afford it ๐Ÿ˜„

I always figured it was a good way to get rid of a junker scope.
I've always hated it when you've got to buy a rifle stirpped not only of scope, rings, but bases. I'm talking gun show here, but that's the usual way. Sure, I understand buying separate items at the gun shop when new, but holy fugg.

All my iron is scoped, rings lapped, bases bedded, and if I ever sell them it's going to be unitized. I'll even have a recent sample target so people know they're getting a shooter.
I can think of an exception. Once, many moons ago, I was cash-poor and was one scope short of covering all my long guns and had to keep pulling a zeroed scope off of one or another to plink with/ hunt/ or whatever. In desperation, I bought a really cheap Tasco (like $30 maybe) to alleviate some of that. I think it was a 3-12X40 bubble pack and it was so dim you could barely see through it. Anyway, I was selling off a low end rifle, cheap, and the buyer "insisted" it have a scope on it.. "No problem!" I said. Win, win for me.
Originally Posted by slumlord
You can't afford it ๐Ÿ˜„

Well he was pulling moldy stuff outta his gun safe the other day.

Probably something I can " Rescue" I bet.
Ya think he is wanting top dollar baller price?
Hence the auction option???

Just wish he would give us Remington 783 ot6 package scoped rifle
types a shot and say what it is.

I bet I got something in trade and some boot that might trip his trigger.
Never gonna know I guess.......

I know he loves the Isreali,s and Jewish people.
Might be a star of david marked 98 mauser Sniper rifle, or a Old school wood stocked Galil or something.

Geuss we will never know.....

LOL!!!
All of the really good used rifle deals I ever got included scopes. Selling with the scope is the best thing you can do for the seller.

no scope.......rings/bases yes

(for me any how)
© 24hourcampfire