Home
Posted By: wabigoon Walter Brennan - 09/13/19
One of the best of the western actors. I always enjoy him. [Linked Image]
Posted By: RNF Re: Walter Brennan - 09/13/19
Great actor and story teller.

Posted By: 5sdad Re: Walter Brennan - 09/13/19

I was too slow, but it bears repeating.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Walter Brennan - 09/13/19
When I was about 5 one of my Great Grandfathers looked and talked just like him. Mom said I thought it was him on TV one time.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Walter Brennan - 09/13/19
One of the great sidekicks!
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Walter Brennan - 09/13/19
Not bad on his own, I come upon the Guns of Will Sonnet on YouTube. Somehow I missed that the years back.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Walter Brennan - 09/13/19
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
One of the great sidekicks!

Yep!
Posted By: joken2 Re: Walter Brennan - 09/13/19

I read where he won three Academy Awards, served in France during WW1, and was a hard-core conservative and a member of the John Birch Society.
Posted By: Ranger_Green Re: Walter Brennan - 09/13/19
So many great roles but one of the one most overlooked was as Judge Roy Bean in "The Westerner" with Gary Cooper. Incredible.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Walter Brennan - 09/13/19
He's with Roy now.........
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: Walter Brennan - 09/13/19
"Brennan was politically conservative.[37] In 1963 and 1964, he joined actors William Lundigan, Chill Wills, and Efrem Zimbalist, Jr. in making appearances on behalf of U.S. Senator Barry M. Goldwater, the Republican nominee in the campaign against President Lyndon B. Johnson.[38]

In 1964, Brennan spoke at "Project Prayer", a rally attended by 2,500 at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles. The gathering, which was hosted by Anthony Eisley, sought to flood Congress with letters in support of mandatory school prayer, following two decisions of the Supreme Court in 1962 and 1963 which struck down the practice of mandatory prayer in public schools as being in conflict with the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment to the United States Constitution.[39] Also at the rally were Rhonda Fleming, Lloyd Nolan, Dale Evans, Pat Boone, and Gloria Swanson.

Brennan, a Roman Catholic, did not publicize his own religious affiliation, but declared, "I'm too old not to be a religious fella. [...] It appears we are losing something a lot of people made a lot of sacrifices for."[39] During the 1960s, he became convinced that the antiwar and civil rights movements were being aided by overseas Communists from the Soviet Union through their support of local communist sympathizers and agitators, and said as much in interviews.[40]. In interviews, he voiced his belief that Communist forces were behind the civil rights and anti-war movements, and reportedly expressed glee on the set of his final series "The Guns of Will Sonnett" (ABC, 1967-69) upon hearing the news that Martin Luther King, Jr., had been assassinated. In 1972, he supported the presidential campaign of conservative California congressman John Schmitz over that of Richard Nixon, whom he believed to be too moderate.[41] He was a member of the John Birch Society. "
Posted By: bearhuntr Re: Walter Brennan - 09/13/19
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Not bad on his own, I come upon the Guns of Will Sonnet on YouTube. Somehow I missed that the years back.

"No brag...(insert spit here)...just fact."
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Walter Brennan - 09/13/19
He would have made a better President than any we've had or are likely to for some time.
Posted By: shawlerbrook Re: Walter Brennan - 09/13/19
Rio Bravo
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Walter Brennan - 09/13/19
"The Far Country", co-starred with Jimmy Stewart. My favorite.
Loosely based on the life of Gold Rush con-man Soapy Smith, and how he met his fate. Very loosely.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Walter Brennan - 09/13/19
Agreed....
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Walter Brennan - 09/13/19
Too many good roles to list here, but a few of my favorite Brennan characters were in........

Sargent York
The Westerner
My Darling Clementine
Red River
Along The Great Divide
Rio Bravo

Just a few.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Walter Brennan - 09/13/19
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
"Brennan was politically conservative.[37] In 1963 and 1964, he joined actors William Lundigan, Chill Wills, and Efrem Zimbalist, Jr. in making appearances on behalf of U.S. Senator Barry M. Goldwater, the Republican nominee in the campaign against President Lyndon B. Johnson.[38]

In 1964, Brennan spoke at "Project Prayer", a rally attended by 2,500 at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles. The gathering, which was hosted by Anthony Eisley, sought to flood Congress with letters in support of mandatory school prayer, following two decisions of the Supreme Court in 1962 and 1963 which struck down the practice of mandatory prayer in public schools as being in conflict with the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment to the United States Constitution.[39] Also at the rally were Rhonda Fleming, Lloyd Nolan, Dale Evans, Pat Boone, and Gloria Swanson.

Brennan, a Roman Catholic, did not publicize his own religious affiliation, but declared, "I'm too old not to be a religious fella. [...] It appears we are losing something a lot of people made a lot of sacrifices for."[39] During the 1960s, he became convinced that the antiwar and civil rights movements were being aided by overseas Communists from the Soviet Union through their support of local communist sympathizers and agitators, and said as much in interviews.[40]. In interviews, he voiced his belief that Communist forces were behind the civil rights and anti-war movements, and reportedly expressed glee on the set of his final series "The Guns of Will Sonnett" (ABC, 1967-69) upon hearing the news that Martin Luther King, Jr., had been assassinated. In 1972, he supported the presidential campaign of conservative California congressman John Schmitz over that of Richard Nixon, whom he believed to be too moderate.[41] He was a member of the John Birch Society. "
Back then, they didn't give RINO's the courtesy of calling them "moderates", they were just called "Liberal Republicans" and Nixon was one. So was Ford. Reagan wasn't. Bush was.
Posted By: saddlering Re: Walter Brennan - 09/13/19
He was also on a TV show called the Real Macoys!
Posted By: BluMtn Re: Walter Brennan - 09/13/19
He grew up in Northeastern Oregon. He had a ranch just east of Enterprise. I was at the ranch back in the 70's. Brennan was not there at the time but the family that was running the ranch said he spent alot of time there.
Posted By: McInnis Re: Walter Brennan - 09/13/19
He had such a unique accent. I couldn’t place it so years ago I looked it up. He was born in Massachusetts!
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Walter Brennan - 09/13/19
Alvin! Ya gotta register for the draft! They’ll put the dawgs on ya! Ya gotta register!
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Walter Brennan - 09/13/19
He was in Red River. He kept losin' his toofs!
Posted By: Ranger_Green Re: Walter Brennan - 09/13/19
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
He was in Red River. He kept losin' his toofs!

"I ate so much dust they could incorporate me into the Union. The State of Groot!"

Kaywoodie! How about a little Rub o' the Brush?!
Posted By: RickyD Re: Walter Brennan - 09/13/19
I was just thinking about him the other day, how this bone on bone knee makes me walk more like him when he was on The Real McCoy's.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Walter Brennan - 09/13/19
Was he ever young? It seems like he was an d man his entire life.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Walter Brennan - 09/13/19
I do a pretty good Walter Brennan impersonation. Wanna hear it?
Posted By: rainshot Re: Walter Brennan - 09/13/19
I read he lost his teeth in a car wreck at a young age and had a set of false teeth so he always looked a lot older than he really was. He was one of my favorite actors. Quite a man. Of course his generation was a lot different than the ones that followed.
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: Walter Brennan - 09/13/19
Originally Posted by saddlering

That is the first thing that comes to my mind when his name is mentioned. They don't make wholesome shows like that, and The Andy Griffith Show etc anymore.
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Walter Brennan - 09/13/19
I used to watch The Real McCoys. Granddaddy Amos.

They moved from West Virginia to northern California. I guess they were the predecessors of the Beverly Hillbillies.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Walter Brennan - 09/13/19
Guns Across The River with Walter Brennan and Audie Murphy was on yesterday.

Probably not his best movie but I watched it.......for about the tenth time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drums_Across_the_River
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Walter Brennan - 09/13/19
Back in the 60s I used to do Walter Brennan imitation to try to get laughs.
I was big fan.
I recently read about him what is available on the internet.

Acting was just to fill in for him being a businessman.

He was co producing the real mccoys.

In the 60s he thought negroes were happy, just being stirred up by agitators in the US.

Despite not planning on show biz, his career was amough the longest.

One of my favorite movies was Support Your Local Sheriff, a comedy where Walter was he top bad guy.

Knowing what I do now, I am guessing he helped write some of his lines, like reminding the in laws he was helping them with their mortgages.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Walter Brennan - 09/13/19
I always thought he had an accident later in life and thats why he had that limp

but it was an act. For whatever reason, he added a limp to some of his characters.

Odd decision but he was a great actor.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Walter Brennan - 06/05/20
He shor was a goodun
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Walter Brennan - 06/05/20
Bustin’ them clods wid ma own bar feet!
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Walter Brennan - 06/05/20
Originally Posted by KFWA
I always thought he had an accident later in life and thats why he had that limp

but it was an act. For whatever reason, he added a limp to some of his characters.

Odd decision but he was a great actor.

I heard years ago, maybe even him being interviewed, that for the Real McCoys he put a couple of small pebbles in his shoe to make him limp around like he did.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Walter Brennan - 06/05/20
his character was what i wanted to become most of my life.
i walk like him now.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Walter Brennan - 06/05/20
Thems Chihuahua steers
Posted By: keith_dunlap Re: Walter Brennan - 06/05/20
Originally Posted by saddlering

Grandpappy Amos McCoy!
Posted By: antlers Re: Walter Brennan - 06/05/20
Step and a half.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Walter Brennan - 06/05/20
He had a certain Old West character authenticity to him.
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Walter Brennan - 06/05/20
He was great in Red River.

Also remember him from his tv show "There's grandpappy Amos and the girls and boys in the family known as The Real McCoys."
© 24hourcampfire