Home
Posted By: WVGuy Activity at Wallops Island - 09/16/19
Is something going up at Wallops Island. I am in Chincoteague. There were multiple tracking airplanes circling and circling for close to an hour. These planes had a big flat antenna on top. There were five or six planes that kept circling.
They have something going up tomorrow morning. Not sure what the AWACS are for.

https://www.nasa.gov/centers/wallops/home
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Activity at Wallops Island - 09/17/19
Jets or turboprops? How many engines? Given lack of info, my guess is Navy Hawkeyes out of Norfolk using the airspace to play AEW games.
They are tracking aliens before the launch.
Posted By: WVGuy Re: Activity at Wallops Island - 09/17/19
They were twin engines. They looked like turbo props. They were not jets,. It sure is not far from Norfolk.
Wallops Flight Facility (NASA) has a rather large runway, big enough that at one time it was an alternate (emergency) shuttle landing site. Now a days, those are Navy E2s practicing carrier landings in a program called FCLP Field Carrier Landing Practice. It's loud when you are close by and not unusual to see several in a pattern. I guess they've been doing this for 4-5 years now.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Activity at Wallops Island - 09/17/19
Any chance they’re out scouting for the opening of archery season? I have no idea when it starts there.
Originally Posted by WVGuy
They were twin engines. They looked like turbo props. They were not jets,. It sure is not far from Norfolk.

Props?

Take us back to defcon 4
© 24hourcampfire