Home
Posted By: Oldman03 Bad Wreck this morning - 09/17/19
Sometime after 4 this morning the power went out. Didn't think too much of it, but it is unusual. Then around 5 a loud noise woke me up. I jumped up, slipped on some clothes, got in the truck to ride around the place to see what might have happened. As I looked up the road, I could see a shadow of something. Drove up there and there was a wrecked car. Nobody else around, so I got out and heard a man call help. Got over there and the fellow was cut up a little, but had a broken leg. Helped him out of the car, set him on the ground, and held him until the ambulance arrived and they put him on a stretcher. They landed a helicopter in the neighbor's front yard and took to a hospital in El Dorado, Ar.

A tree had fallen across the road and took out the power lines, but wasn't laying on the ground, a limb and the power lines had the trunk suspended in the air. The car hit the trunk and the limb that was holding it up, knocking the limb off the tree. The car made it under the trunk, but stopped about 25' on my side of it. By knocking the limb off, the trunk fell to the pavement. About a 30" diameter tree. Car was a mess and the air bag is probably what save the fellows life.

I didn't know the fellow, but I know his wife's mother, and her side of the family very well. Young man was headed to his in-law's and then on to work.

I was 8 am before they got the road back open and got power on about 10 am.

Posted By: Border Doc Re: Bad Wreck this morning - 09/17/19

Well done, friend.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Bad Wreck this morning - 09/17/19
Glad you were able and willing to help him, Randy.

I've had more than my share of dealing with the aftermath of bad wrecks. But I always do what I can.

Weather take the tree down?
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Bad Wreck this morning - 09/17/19

Oldman to the rescue!!!
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Bad Wreck this morning - 09/17/19
Barry, it wasn't bad weather that caused the tree to fall. It's a combination of things. Wooded on that side of the road and the trees along the highway, are out of balance, most of the limbs are on one side of the tree, the road side. That and the dry weather. When we get a lot of rain, trees fall..... and, when it gets real dry, trees fall. It's dry.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Bad Wreck this morning - 09/17/19
Same here... Constantly on tree patrol. Found a bog one down right up next to a new fence. Luckily, it didn't take out the fence.

Gonna take a tractor and chainsaw to clear it though.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Bad Wreck this morning - 09/18/19
Good Job Randy!
© 24hourcampfire