Home
Posted By: Tarkio “Death Wobble” in truck - 09/18/19
Was driving one of my service trucks and came into a bridge. Not going very fast, ~50mph. The front end (both tires in unison) wobbling left and right.

I can recreate it at a slow speed so something is up. If I turn the wheel a little and get some lateral pressure on the tires it stops immediately.

What is going on here? A bad tire?
Could be a bad tire but I imagine that you have a 2nd Gen. Dodge. If so, PM me your e-mail and I will send you an in depth article on how to cure this problem.
Posted By: EZEARL Re: “Death Wobble” in truck - 09/18/19
Can be caused by a number of things. Worn steering components,bad ball joints,worn or loose wheel bearings,loose lug nuts,out of alignment front end,out of balance wheels. Scary ain't it!
my 97 dodge was doing bad i completely rebuilt the front end 4 yrs ago, it just recently started doing it again.
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Could be a bad tire but I imagine that you have a 2nd Gen. Dodge. If so, PM me your e-mail and I will send you an in depth article on how to cure this problem.

can you post a link to it here.
No. The article is from Diesel World magazine (6/2010 issue) and it's 5 pages long so I don't feel like uploading each individual page to an image hosting service and then posting each page here. I'd be happy to e-mail it to anyone who is interested.

Also, on the Cummins Forum there's quite a few postings regarding Death Wobble, but they are quite complicated and fairly complex. The article I have from Diesel World magazine is much easier to understand and has photos.

What make and model?
Posted By: CraigD Re: “Death Wobble” in truck - 09/18/19
My 2003 Dodge 2500 w/Cummins just had the front end rebuilt for the second time. The clue was that they couldn't align the front end... I never got to the wobble stage. Truck only has 118,000 miles on it.
Originally Posted by CraigD
My 2003 Dodge 2500 w/Cummins just had the front end rebuilt for the second time. The clue was that they couldn't align the front end... I never got to the wobble stage. Truck only has 118,000 miles on it.

thats a problem with mine also, front passenger side tire always wear on the outside edge of the tire.
2 or 4wd?

What make?
Posted By: TheKid Re: “Death Wobble” in truck - 09/18/19
If it’s a coil sprung Ford 4x4 check your track bar bushing. It can be a lot of other stuff but of the 3 times it’s happened to me 2 times it was the track bar bushing where it mounts to the frame. The third one was a ragged out ball joint. Scary stuff whatever the cause, hope you get it ironed out.
I had a 1979 Ford F-150 4WD that would get that. Always thought it was a bad sway bar, and I'd replace it, and before long it would do it again. Worst Ford I've owned, bar none.
Posted By: Tarkio Re: “Death Wobble” in truck - 09/18/19
This is a 12 F450 4wd. Just had front end work done a couple months ago. Had ball joint replaced then.
Posted By: TheKid Re: “Death Wobble” in truck - 09/18/19
Maybe the front end shop didn’t torque something properly or reused a torque to yield fastener. Be something to check into if you just had it worked on recently. FWIW the most violent case of death wobble I ever experienced was in a 2012 F450. It was the one with a bad ball joint.
Posted By: Prwlr Re: “Death Wobble” in truck - 09/18/19
My '03 Dodge 2500 was doing that, it turned out to be that the front stabilizer (looks like a horizontal shock absorber on the front steering components) was bad. Replaced it and the "death wobble" ceased that was 3 years ago. This is an endemic problem with Gen3 Dodge trucks could be a variety of causes. They make after market kits that are supposed to fix the problem.

Here is an explanation of the problem, see #2:

Death Wobble
Track bar ball joint and bushing would cause this back when I worked at Ford, around the time your truck was made.
Could be...

Steering stabilizer shot.
Worn suspension/steering components.
Bad tire

As for pass side tire wear......notorious on newer Jeeps.
They don't have locking hubs so always scrub.

If the trucks don't have hubs........proiy same curse.
That design with aggressive/fun driving.............just eats friggin front tire.

Both of my XJ's did. Both of my ZJs did. So did my WJ.
Can't help the OP with his 2012

However if, for anyone else- on a 99-04 250/350, 4wd. I had wobble from this needle pack bearing that is inside the hub. Little fugger ain't much bigger than a quarter. If its bad, you'll feel like youre driving on a washboard. Wobble and bobble. Makes a hell of a fuss even if those little rollers are rusty or pitted.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Had one do it after hitting bump..............that one was steering satbilizer only.
Had another do it at certain speed, repeatable.........worn ball joint.
Had a K5 do it...........no bump hit..............just going down the road and tires got into phase.
Wicked ride til I got it way slowed down.
Never did it again.
Had balance checked, was fine.

Buddy had his non solid front axle Jeep do weird stuff. Had a belt going in tire and a bent tie rod.
Hit big pothole in interstate...........no prob, until a few months later.
The old Fords with twin I beams would get it bad. Only way to align the front end was to bend the I beam. My daughter's 07 Jeep Wrangler Safari had it because of bad brake calipers. Finally replaced all four by the time she traded the Jeep in.
Posted By: tdbob Re: “Death Wobble” in truck - 09/18/19
I've got a 97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CTD. I had the death wobble in that beast. Had the front end rebuilt with poly bushings, new ball joints and a Thuren track bar(it's massive). Also had a Dynatrac front axle kit with the Warn hubs installed and so far, so good. No problems since the rebuild.
My 2012 Ram 2500 4x4 started doing it at 75,000 miles. I replaced the tract bar which fixed it.
Ford 3/4 & 1 ton bad track bar or outer tie rods (4).

Older Dodge 3/4 & 1 ton likely steering dampner.
Originally Posted by slumlord

However if, for anyone else- on a 99-04 250/350, 4wd. I had wobble from this needle pack bearing that is inside the hub. Little fugger ain't much bigger than a quarter. If its bad, you'll feel like youre driving on a washboard. Wobble and bobble. Makes a hell of a fuss even if those little rollers are rusty or pitted.

How they get rusty, Slum. Drive through a foot of water?
Posted By: T_O_M Re: “Death Wobble” in truck - 09/18/19
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Was driving one of my service trucks and came into a bridge. Not going very fast, ~50mph. The front end (both tires in unison) wobbling left and right.

I can recreate it at a slow speed so something is up. If I turn the wheel a little and get some lateral pressure on the tires it stops immediately.

What is going on here? A bad tire?

If your rig has an inverted-Y steering setup, it's almost designed-in. As soon as there is any slop at any tie rod / drag link / control arm end, you'll get a positive-feedback cycle going. I would check the torque on all rod ends / connections to the frame, axle, etc, and maybe even tighten them beyond spec. That resolved the issue for my '05 Jeep TJ. Oddly enough, my '98, which had the same geometry, never had any death wobble and I was running 35s w/o a steering stabilizer on it, so the make or break line is at the individual vehicle level, not across the board for a particular make / model / year.

If it is not an inverted-Y steering geometry, I'd still do the same checks to be sure everything is appropriately tight, but I can't offer any specific help.

Good luck and, uh, "wear your seatbelt." (My jeep, w/ the doors off, would have launched me out onto the asphalt at about 50 mph the first time it happened and I was unprepared, 'cept for my seatbelt holding me in.)

Tom
On 2004 Toyota Tacoma with 215,000.?
Originally Posted by EZEARL
Can be caused by a number of things. Worn steering components,bad ball joints,worn or loose wheel bearings,loose lug nuts,out of alignment front end,out of balance wheels. Scary ain't it!
The bold area, + steering dampener wear and bushings can/will cause it.. Especially on trucks with solid front axles (ala Ford F-350/450 etc..
Originally Posted by jaguartx
On 2004 Toyota Tacoma with 215,000.?

Ya, fricken outrageous. It ain’t like Ford/Dodge/Chevy just recently started building trucks.
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by slumlord

How they get rusty, Slum. Drive through a foot of water?

Probably because I used my truck for a TRUCK.
Yep. That's a dodge. frown
Posted By: horse1 Re: “Death Wobble” in truck - 09/19/19
Originally Posted by Redneck
The bold area, + steering dampener wear and bushings can/will cause it.. Especially on trucks with solid front axles (ala Ford F-350/450 etc..

On my '11 F250 we chased it a bit @ 30K Mi or so. I think it was when I swapped on a set of Nitto Trail Grapplers. The solution was more air in the tires. I was running them @ the 65# listed on the door and I guess that allowed too much flex, or so they told me. Ran them @ 75#, no more wobble. I'm over 150K now and no more problem once we nailed down the air-pressure issue. I've got the 4th and 5th sets of tires for this truck mounted on rims. Nitto Terra Grapplers need at least 70# of air to ensure no vibrations. Nitto Exo Grapplers can be run @ 65# and high with no issues. I suspect the stiffer sidewall of the Exo is helpful in this situation.
Posted By: kennyd Re: “Death Wobble” in truck - 09/19/19
Balance the tires, look for going out of round or bent wheel. New bushings either not installed, or installed wrong
It doesn't have a steering stabilizer...does it?
Ha! Steering stabilizer been suggested before.
Originally Posted by horse1

On my '11 F250 we chased it a bit @ 30K Mi or so. I think it was when I swapped on a set of Nitto Trail Grapplers. The solution was more air in the tires. I was running them @ the 65# listed on the door and I guess that allowed too much flex, or so they told me. Ran them @ 75#, no more wobble. I'm over 150K now and no more problem once we nailed down the air-pressure issue. I've got the 4th and 5th sets of tires for this truck mounted on rims. Nitto Terra Grapplers need at least 70# of air to ensure no vibrations. Nitto Exo Grapplers can be run @ 65# and high with no issues. I suspect the stiffer sidewall of the Exo is helpful in this situation.

Ford already replaced the stuff I mentioned above on my '17 F-350 with (at the time) about 15K on the odometer... I know they'll have to do it again when I reach 30K. Every solid front axle truck I've ever had develops that wobble.. Don't know why they can't cure that chit..
Posted By: hanco Re: “Death Wobble” in truck - 09/20/19
New stabilizer time!
Posted By: horse1 Re: “Death Wobble” in truck - 09/20/19
Originally Posted by horse1

Ford already replaced the stuff I mentioned above on my '17 F-350 with (at the time) about 15K on the odometer... I know they'll have to do it again when I reach 30K. Every solid front axle truck I've ever had develops that wobble.. Don't know why they can't cure that chit..

My door jamb says 65PSI. I start there and if there's even a hint of wobble/vibration I add 5#, and continue until there's no wobble or even a hint of vibration. I'm not saying that suspension components don't wear out, or that adding air pressure is a cure-all, just keep this in the memory banks as another tool in the tool-box.
Ball joints, tie rod ends, wheel bearings. Replace all that and report back.
© 24hourcampfire