Home
Posted By: roundoak Timber rattlesnake - 09/18/19
Timber rattler stopped work briefly. The hired man and I were at the neighbors filling silo and he spotted the snake while shuttling a chopper box. He called me and I brought the rest of the work crew to take a look. They used to be plentiful, but don't see many anymore. The state has them protected now.

It was not near any buildings or causing any trouble, so we left it alone.

[Linked Image from i617.photobucket.com]

Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Timber rattlesnake - 09/18/19
Good sized rattler!
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Timber rattlesnake - 09/18/19
Yikes. I didn't know WI had them. I guess that would mean southern MN has them too?
Posted By: kingston Re: Timber rattlesnake - 09/18/19
That ought to keep rats, squirrels and chipmunks out of the grain.
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Yikes. I didn't know WI had them. I guess that would mean southern MN has them too?

Yes Minnesota has them in the southeast part of the state.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Timber rattlesnake - 09/18/19
Protected or not, I'd have killed that sucker.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Timber rattlesnake - 09/18/19

Good that you let it live.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Timber rattlesnake - 09/18/19
Originally Posted by kingston
It will keep a number of them out, but snakes like this don't eat frequently enough to singly control a pressing rodent population. It will take a few other snakes, an owl or two, and some other smaller predators to control a bunch of hungry invaders..
Posted By: bowmanh Re: Timber rattlesnake - 09/18/19
Cool looking snake. Glad that there are still some around in Wisconsin.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Timber rattlesnake - 09/18/19

Oh sure, southwest Wisconsin on and near the Wisconsin and Mississippi rivers is perfect habitat for them. For decades there was a bounty paid on them. $1.00/adult, $.25/baby. The bounty was discontinued in 1975.

I have encountered them several times and only killed one, and that was an accident. I was coming down a hill road and on a curve ran one over. Took it over to an old trapper/fisherman and he skinned it and tanned it. On his suggestion, I keep it in good shape with WD-40.

There are "swamp rattlers", Massasauga nearby in the river bottoms, but I never encountered one,
Posted By: Sig220 Re: Timber rattlesnake - 09/18/19
I agree, that is a good size one! Looks to have been eating well!
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Timber rattlesnake - 09/18/19

Once again, I agree with this Kingston fella and his pink avatar.

Not a total solution, but like that assassin bug that eats flies....................most anything that eats rats and mice is my friend

Geno
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Timber rattlesnake - 09/18/19
Not my picture...
[Linked Image from uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com]
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Timber rattlesnake - 09/18/19
Originally Posted by roundoak

Oh sure, southwest Wisconsin on and near the Wisconsin and Mississippi rivers is perfect habitat for them. For decades there was a bounty paid on them. $1.00/adult, $.25/baby. The bounty was discontinued in 1975.

I have encountered them several times and only killed one, and that was an accident. I was coming down a hill road and on a curve ran one over. Took it over to an old trapper/fisherman and he skinned it and tanned it. On his suggestion, I keep it in good shape with WD-40.

There are "swamp rattlers", Massasauga nearby in the river bottoms, but I never encountered one,

Good looking snake skin, but that doesn't look like any timber rattler I have ever seen.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Timber rattlesnake - 09/18/19
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Protected or not, I'd have killed that sucker.

I wish I knew how many Leo's would recognize that skin on a hat band.

The feds like to dump them out by the box loads around communities in deep SE Texas. One fellow lost 12 meat goats and killed several before finding out WTH was going on.

Several people bitten and good dogs dead too around Clute and that area from what I've been told.

IMHO, that is the skin of a Diamond Back rattler, either Eastern or Westen.

Timbers have very different markings, as can be seen in the first post and in the post with a timber eating a squirrel.
https://srelherp.uga.edu/snakes/crohor.htm

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/reptiles/e/eastern-diamondback-rattlesnake/
Posted By: sbrmike Re: Timber rattlesnake - 09/18/19
Yes that is a Western Diamondback or possibly a Prairie Rattler of some sort, not a Timber Rattler skin by the snow shoes.

Protected in PA doesn't mean you can't possess or kill; it means they are regulated would be a better term. Buy a fishing license, then buy a Venomous Snake Permit, then catch/kill a male Timber Rattler at least 42 inches long. I think they are a "Species of Concern" or "Declining" is the state-wide designation with "Threatened" in parts. They are plentiful here.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Timber rattlesnake - 09/18/19
Originally Posted by sbrmike
Yes that is a Western Diamondback or possibly a Prairie Rattler of some sort, not a Timber Rattler skin by the snow shoes.

What kind of snow shoes do Timber Rattler's use?
Posted By: roundoak Re: Timber rattlesnake - 09/18/19
Originally Posted by jaguartx

IMHO, that is the skin of a Diamond Back rattler, either Eastern or Westen.

Timbers have very different markings, as can be seen in the first post and in the post with a timber eating a squirrel.

This is all very interesting, if it is true what you are saying, I gave a snake to the old trapper and about six months later he gives me a diamondback. I can't question him about now, he died back in 1996 or 97.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Timber rattlesnake - 09/18/19

Rats, squirrels, chipmunks, and ME!
Posted By: nmitchell Re: Timber rattlesnake - 09/19/19
Healthy ,fat bastard!!!
Posted By: SKane Re: Timber rattlesnake - 09/19/19
roundoak,

Well, I can now scratch off your neck of the woods in my hunting land search. laugh
Posted By: kenacp Re: Timber rattlesnake - 09/19/19
We have more than our fair share of them in SW Miss.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Timber rattlesnake - 09/19/19
Originally Posted by SKane
roundoak,

Well, I can now scratch off your neck of the woods in my hunting land search. laugh

How do you feel about cougars and wolves?
Posted By: SKane Re: Timber rattlesnake - 09/19/19
roundoak,

I can easily coexist with them but I'd be watching my back using a rabbit-in-distress call with the danged cats around. LOL
Posted By: kingston Re: Timber rattlesnake - 09/20/19
roundoak,

Did someone say cougars!
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Timber rattlesnake - 09/20/19
I wish I knew how many Leo's would recognize that skin on a hat band.

The feds like to dump them out by the box loads around communities in deep SE Texas. One fellow lost 12 meat goats and killed several before finding out WTH was going on.

Several people bitten and good dogs dead too around Clute and that area from what I've been told.

[Linked Image from pics.me.me]
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: Timber rattlesnake - 09/20/19
That's an ugly rug. Rusty
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Timber rattlesnake - 09/20/19
Those are beautiful snakes.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Timber rattlesnake - 09/20/19
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Those are beautiful snakes IF THEY ARENT LATCHED ON TO YOURE LEG OR DOG. .

It would sure make a great hat band. wink
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Timber rattlesnake - 09/24/19

Glad I never fell for that, "A snake can only strike half its length BS. Glad i didnt step by that rock in tenner shoes, too.

Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Timber rattlesnake - 09/24/19
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Those are beautiful snakes IF THEY ARENT LATCHED ON TO YOURE LEG OR DOG. .

It would sure make a great hat band. wink

I have a friend who has a pair of boots made out of timber rattler hide..
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Timber rattlesnake - 09/24/19

Glad I never fell for that, "A snake can only strike half its length BS. Glad i didnt step by that rock in tenner shoes, too.

That thing gave me the heebie jeebies! Yuck!
© 24hourcampfire