Home
Posted By: tikkanut So... Furnace on tonight ? - 09/20/19

Overnight here in Podunk @ 6K'...........

droppin down to 38*........cold north winds blowing in a storm........

snow down to 7K' in some locations...

Winter may start early & bring promise to '2019-20 winter snow pack......

Remember the west survives on heavy winter snow packs....
It's nice tonight in Iowa, last week in NW Ontario we had a small fire most every night.
87 in the musick city at 7:30

Lovely

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Pat85 Re: So... Furnace on tonight ? - 09/20/19
I dont turn on the heat till it gets down in the teens.
Posted By: EdM Re: So... Furnace on tonight ? - 09/20/19
If we was in our place in north Idaho the wood stove would be burning. Today, here in Texas I saw 101. Went to the range with a towel...
Posted By: hanco Re: So... Furnace on tonight ? - 09/20/19
AC is running, 78 outside right now
Posted By: Lucas1 Re: So... Furnace on tonight ? - 09/20/19
Quit bragging.
Turned the heat on last week. Just to take the chill off at night after a couple cool, cloudy, wet days. then turned it off. Nice to know it still works.
Posted By: JLimbo Re: So... Furnace on tonight ? - 09/20/19
Yep finally fired off the boiler for the radiant floor heating. This morning was mid thirtys and only got to the high forties today.

Wife was grumpy about the chilliness in the house but by the time the floor gets warm it'll be nice again and the windows will be open.

Had snow in the mountains on Monday-sure glad it'll be fall.
Posted By: Remsen Re: So... Furnace on tonight ? - 09/20/19
My wife is at our place in Bozeman and she said she just turned on the heat for the first time since the last snow fell (June).
Nope. High was about 98° here today. I'm ready for cool weather.
Heat is set to 60°F just in case it is cold tonight @9500 ft.
Posted By: Reba Re: So... Furnace on tonight ? - 09/20/19
Was 26 the other morning in Grouse Camp near Boulder, WY
Heck no! After two months of miserable heat, we are getting down to 48 degrees tonight. Windows are open and will stay open all night. Thermal mass of the house will keep things just about right. It is good to get the relief of cooler weather!
Originally Posted by hanco
AC is running, 78 outside right now

AC is running here too. 76 F outside tonight.
Posted By: jobyjob Re: So... Furnace on tonight ? - 09/20/19
I wish...... it's been hotter than a popcorn fart here all summer.
Posted By: mudhen Re: So... Furnace on tonight ? - 09/20/19
Not here, but I probably will turn the A/C off when I to to bed...
Posted By: Ralphie Re: So... Furnace on tonight ? - 09/20/19
Not in the house but we’ve had the heater on in the car in the am and ac on in the afternoon. Perfect September weather.
Posted By: 673 Re: So... Furnace on tonight ? - 09/20/19
Yup, wood stove is going, been about a week now.
Low of 29 tonight and won’t reach 60 tomorrow.
Beautiful temps here lately.

Low of 51 tonight, 71 for the high tomorrow.

Got down to 39F a month ago.
It was around 90 here today, coolest it’s been in a long while.
Posted By: hanco Re: So... Furnace on tonight ? - 09/20/19
81 this AM in Katy
Posted By: JamesJr Re: So... Furnace on tonight ? - 09/20/19
I'll be glad when I can turn my heat on. Been hotter than Hades here for the past few weeks. Record setting temps too. Also, no rain for over 3 weeks. Thank goodness my pastures are still holding up. For how long, I don't know. Hopefully, will rain soon and turn cooler.
I've been spying big construction projects and some borrow dirt piles that need some rain. Clarksville's been tearing up a lot of arrowhead dirt last 3 months.
40* feels good this morn.....

no moisture around here...

Mini split system is first unit I run in a room I built in '12...

Will heat main floor till it gets real cold.....just adding a NG stove in basement

Coal/wood stove G O N E......

mini split in this vaulted room...gotta keep these guys cozy...... grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: CWT Re: So... Furnace on tonight ? - 09/20/19
48 at 6:30 am in Efland, NC. I was actually chilly in a short sleeve shirt.
It's 46° in Ogden (north of Podunk) right now, and raining "cats and dogs" according to my weather station. Close to an inch an hour.

I was chilly in shorts and short sleeves yesterday. Today, it's jeans and a fleece pullover. No furnace yet, but the A/C has been off all week.

Oh, and my hummies are GONE. They apparently watched the local weather guy and skedaddled before the strong south winds started.

As usual, old Ma Nature couldn't wait for the official start of Autumn on Monday.
Posted By: memtb Re: So... Furnace on tonight ? - 09/20/19
It’s only getting into the 40’s here, though a couple of mornings ago it was 37, we’re still keeping the windows open at night. Cools the house off so it will be cool during the heat of the day! memtb
Posted By: Dutch Re: So... Furnace on tonight ? - 09/21/19
Tried to fire up the furnace this evening. Thermostat dead. Fired up the pellet stove instead. It’s going to be between 30 and 40 at 5,000 feet fo the next week or so. Had to scrape the widows on the truck yesterday.

Winter is coming.
Got AC running. Parked along a damned Bay Area freeway waiting for traffic to flow.
It's supposed to dip down in the 40's tonight......

I've been taking the chill of with the ceramic heater for the last few days and I put the flannel sheets on the bed today.

Probably won't put the wool blanket on for a few more weeks though
We've had morning temps in the high 30's and low 40's all week with daytime highs in the upper 60's and lower 70's. Way too early to fire up the furnace yet. Got a little ceramic heater we turn on at night to take the chill off..
Reminds me. I better pay for the propane before they come and repo it!
Posted By: patrout Re: So... Furnace on tonight ? - 09/21/19
Pleasant 61 now, moving to mid 50's tonight. This is my favorite time of year, pleasant heat during the day and cool overnight into the morning.
pinon fire going, might be first frost of the year
Posted By: Valsdad Re: So... Furnace on tonight ? - 09/21/19
Had some ice on the car window the other morning. Fired up the electric furnace a few days back to make sure it's operable for the start of the season.

Lit the first fire yesterday morning, not so cold but damper than I enjoy. Commented to my wife after feeding the chickens in sweats and a hoodie that I felt colder than when snow is on the ground.

Fire yesterday was a small one, just the sticks and splits to get it going and then one 8" log that burned for the morning and part of the afternoon. House got up around 74F, no heat used since, just looked a bit ago and it's still 69F in here. And we got down around 39 or so last night.

Calling for " areas of frost" tonight again, as the storm is clearing out. Will make the greens and cabbage nice and tasty. Have kindling, sticks, splits, and a couple of logs ready in case it's chilly in here again tomorrow.

My favorite time of year, Pulled the window A/C out today and stored it in the shop/garage. Haven't had to use wood or heat for a couple of days = no $$$ spent on comfort. Makes me happy.

Leaves on the Virginia creeper, chokecherry, and some other plants are turning now. Might have to go look at the aspens this weekend.

Geno
Nope, not yet. Headed up north in a few days, will definitely need a fire up there.
© 24hourcampfire