Home
Posted By: elelbean Woolrich - 09/21/19
Anyone been to the Woolrich website recently? I own two older Alaskan shirts. Went on their website to look for one of their Classic Stag shirts as well as to see if they still carried the Alaskan. I just about fell over when I saw the prices. Anyone know what happened here? Different strategy I guess. So sad that these classic wool companies are selling stuff that the average working man can't afford anymore.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Woolrich - 09/21/19
Yes, I see that a lot.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Woolrich - 09/21/19
look on ebay and local craigslist.
And thrift shops.
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Woolrich - 09/21/19
My wife gave me a Woolrich Alaska shirt for Christmas a couple of years ago, a replacement for an ancient one that I "outgrew". This one was made in CHINA!!! and has snaps instead of buttons. Still, cost about $100. Now, in addition to that model, they offer an American-made one (with buttons) for almost $70 more! Don't like the snaps, but I did practically live in it during deer season last year. Sad to see what has happened to so many old and trusted brands.
Posted By: elelbean Re: Woolrich - 09/21/19
I don't think you've been to their website recently.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Woolrich - 09/21/19
I was going to tease you for whining about modern prices.....until I went to the website.

Frogsnacks!

Looks like Woolrich aint for outdoorsmen any more.

Hipsters and Lumbersexuals now.

Those prices are high.
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Woolrich - 09/21/19
Originally Posted by elelbean
I don't think you've been to their website recently.

Holy Moley!!! You're right! And it was probably no more than two years ago that I saw the prices that I spoke of. Looks like Woolrich is catering to the man-bun crowd now.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Woolrich - 09/21/19
Normal price for quality x becomes popular with yuppies = great products Hundred!

Herman Survivor and Carhart come to mind quickly.
Another boot company I liked, but can't remember.

The heterosexual set live the rugged image, and their perceived snob appeal
of the high quality products. (They will never need that toughness, they just hope to absorb it)

Once the company realizes who us buying a lot of the product, the price goes up.
Then, when they realize theses gym hardchargers will throw it put before it even starts to
fade, quality drops.

Carhartt is in the middle of this.
They still make the best t shirts I can buy for the money,
But the money has jumped way up, and quality has fallen.
Posted By: EdM Re: Woolrich - 09/21/19
Just running with the likes of Kuiu...
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Woolrich - 09/21/19
My friend in the valley produces the best....higest quality wool in Montana.

He has won several awards.

There are pennies worth of wool in that clothing.
Posted By: elelbean Re: Woolrich - 09/21/19
Dillonbuck, you make some excellent points here. It seems if I REALLY like something now, that is kind of a classic, I should buy two or three of them. They're bound to change quickly now.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Woolrich - 09/21/19
Found a new, never worn Pendleton wool shirt last year in an Asheville antique store. $10 bucks.
Posted By: model70man Re: Woolrich - 09/21/19
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Normal price for quality x becomes popular with yuppies = great products Hundred!

of the high quality products. (They will never need that toughness, they just hope to absorb it)

Once the company realizes who us buying a lot of the product, the price goes up.
Then, when they realize theses gym hardchargers will throw it put before it even starts to
fade, quality drops.

That's the downfall of L.L. Bean. The went for the yuppies and forgot the hunters that kept them going for decades.
Top quality wool is not cheap. Egli's Sheep farm west of Dryden has some good wool clothes. [img]https://eglifarm.com/[/img]
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Woolrich - 09/21/19
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Found a new, never worn Pendleton wool shirt last year in an Asheville antique store. $10 bucks.

Got one at BassPro off the clearance rack. Had to damn near scrap with one of the managers.

Said they "made a mistake". Sorry. Price is right on it.

Mistake? You mean like.. Cabelas? smile
Posted By: cas6969 Re: Woolrich - 09/21/19

I believe the libs call that cultural appropriation. and I believe we're supposed to be "triggered' or something?

#unsureHowI'mSupposedToReactBecauseI'mNotaLiberal
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Woolrich - 09/21/19
If you think Woolrich is expensive buy hunting clothes from King of the mountain
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Woolrich - 09/21/19

fade, quality drops.

Sportsman's Guide.. when they're on sale and free shipping.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Woolrich - 09/21/19
Bemidji

https://www.bemidjiwoolenmills.com/

Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Woolrich - 09/21/19
When my brother died in '10, I inherited 3 Woolrich shirts that I've worn a lot. I hope they continue to hold up because I can't afford to replace them.
Posted By: Paul_M Re: Woolrich - 09/21/19
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Top quality wool is not cheap. Egli's Sheep farm west of Dryden has some good wool clothes. [img]https://eglifarm.com/[/img]

Did you happen to take a peek at the Woolrich website?
Woolrich wants $455.00 for a shirt that's imported. Probably from China as was mentioned.
https://www.woolrich.com/mens-alaskan-wool-over-shirt-wa8007/

The Egli's Sheep Farm website has a decent looking Alpine Jacshirt $132.00. reasonably priced.
MADE IN CANADA, not imported from some 3rd world cheap labor sweatshop.
https://eglifarm.com/collections/jackets/products/alpine-jacshirt?variant=2196251585

Woolrich has lost their minds.

Added,
Just noticed the Big Bill label on the Jacshirt. That is Codet, which is made in Canada.
I have a couple of Codet items and have found there stuff to be quality made, durable and as noted reasonably priced.
Yes I did look at the website.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Woolrich - 09/21/19
Good wool is expensive but Woolrich is stupid expensive swith $100 cotton shirts.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Woolrich - 09/21/19
A few years back, I scored about six Pendletons on Amazon at prices from $30ish to maybe $50; a lifetime supply. Foxes or yotes destroyed one I left outside, but luckily it was the ugliest one.

With the shift in the seasons, the lightweight Pendletons work well during hunting season.
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: Woolrich - 09/21/19
Army surplus is all I can afford.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Woolrich - 09/21/19
I buy my Woolrich off the secondary market never paying more than 50%. I often find new items with tags at those prices, just have to be patient and keep searching.
I think someone brought up Bemidji Woolen Mills.[img]https://www.bemidjiwoolenmills.com/[/img]
Posted By: Hectortwsp Re: Woolrich - 09/21/19
I live 50 miles from Woolrich, Pa. Last time I was in their store almost everything was made in Asia and the wool was only half as thick. I own one of those old coat and pants sets made by Woolrich and the thing is 55 years old but still going strong an not warm but hot on a 30 degree day. I will give it to my kid one day.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Woolrich - 09/21/19
Looked at the website and the prices are INSANE.

I thought Filson was proud of their chit but $500 for a heavy shirt?!

For a good laugh check out the (men's)coat section. They have a fairy dressed up in a white coat. It's only $1200..............

https://www.woolrich.com/mens-gore-tex-storm-parka-wo0143/
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Woolrich - 09/21/19
We had a Pendleton store in Branson, I’d never buy full price, but would get clearance wool for pretty good prices. Unfortunately it closed last year or so. Get out to Oregon once in a while. Hit done Pendleton stores there, also for their clearance stuff.
Posted By: Richdeerhunter Re: Woolrich - 09/21/19
I live 4 minutes from the village of Woolrich. They used to have an annual warehouse sale where stuff was 80-90% off. People lined up outside the store the night before the place opened at 8 AM. I bought almost a lifetime supply of Woolrich stuff over the years. The warehouse sale was watered down a few years ago and I haven't gone since.

We're moving out of the area to be closer to kids and grandkids.
Posted By: rte Re: Woolrich - 09/21/19
I have the original made in USA Alaskan shirts.They're heavy duty shirts and I'm sure I paid less than $80.00.

My dad had several of these shirts,so before I went to a northern college I bought two.
Posted By: champlain_islander Re: Woolrich - 09/21/19
All my wool pants, shirts and coats are Johnson Woolen Mills in Johnson, Vermont. Good stuff but is now expensive too.
If you want a pair of Mackinaw pants you'd best be ready to pony up.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Woolrich - 09/21/19
You can buy vintage wool clothes for pennies on the dollar. Good quality stuff that was made in the USA.
My grandfather, standing, and friend back in the early fifties wearing wool. [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Neat old pic!
Thanks Sam, they are making coffee on Graveyard Island, Dinorwic Lake, Ontario.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Woolrich - 09/21/19
You are correct - the cost realm of woolen clothing has changed dramatically. I wish it were not true, and am fortunate to still have two older Eddie Bauer shirts, three Woolrich shirts and one pant, and a nice thick Filson jacket - but they all have been around for a while. I was able to find three of those items - practically unused - at second hand/thrift type stores. This past August at our SW Campfire gathering, I gave away a bunch of varied stuff - one item was a brand new heavy wool shirt/pant set (European made) and it will serve well the good fellow who now has it. Great for wet/windy/cold times - and I anticipate none of that type of hunting/fishing any more.
Wool shirts, and pants can be found army surplus.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Woolrich - 09/21/19
Buy American they say....until they see the price.
I'm pretty sure you're paying more for the name than the made in the USA aspect.

Hipster, yuppie dumbphuck market.
Posted By: micky Re: Woolrich - 09/21/19
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I was going to tease you for whining about modern prices.....until I went to the website.

Frogsnacks!

Looks like Woolrich aint for outdoorsmen any more.

Hipsters and Lumbersexuals now.

Those prices are high.

"Lumbersexuals"? Thank you for the laugh good sir.
© 24hourcampfire