Home
Unfortunately, I've got a few useless college degrees and can't offer him any advice. Have a young nephew about to graduate HS next year and is thinking of a career in the trades. Can any guys here recommend a trade you think will be around in the future and offer decent career prospects for a young person?
My son-in-law is a certified master plumber. His job now is an estimator for a major contractor. Tells me that finding certified plumbers,electricians,hvac techs,etc are getting harder to find as time goes on. He gets enough side work he could start his own business.
Construction, plumber or electrician. Combine that with business classes and he'll never want for work.

I worked telecommunications. Land lines are a dinosaur. Unless you get skilled in fiber optics, I'd stay away from it and cable tv too.

People will always need plumbers and electricians regardless of location, demographics, or economy.
HVAC/Plumbing.
Originally Posted by elelbean
Unfortunately, I've got a few useless college degrees and can't offer him any advice. Have a young nephew about to graduate HS next year and is thinking of a career in the trades. Can any guys here recommend a trade you think will be around in the future and offer decent career prospects for a young person?

Pipe lining while he is young and unmarried. Pipe fitting/welding pays the most. Unions pay more than non-union. Equipment operators are next on the pay pecking order and a good hoe hand is worth his weight in gold, and will never be unemployed against his will. The work ethic he will learn on the pipeline will serve him the rest of his life, in whatever field he decides to work. Both of my boys transitioned into pipeline (out on the ROW) as young bachelors, and they are now entrenched in Houston with handsome paying (project management and estimating) jobs, and are at the top of their game.

One that requires a license which limits supply and keeps wages high. Otherwise the wages will be decimated through uncontrolled competition from illegal labor.

I'd recommend something in healthcare.
Industrial Electric Technology,....without a doubt.
I’ve been a machinist for 43 years and am retiring at years end. We baby boomers are rapidly leaving all the trades but seems machinists are really leaving. My company and most nation wide are struggling to find any machinists at all. Pay is good and it’s not a particularly hard job if one gets the basics in a technical college. Almost everything we have and use is in some way touched by a machinist. We make molds to mold almost all our plastic parts and all parts to nearly everything from your auto to food prep to tools and whatever you can think of. Google machinist and read what we do to the shortage. I work for a medical device factory and make parts for surgical tables, overhead lights so surgeons can see, to scrub sinks, carts and other hospital equipment.
Welding or Surveying.
General contractror, electrical, plumbing and heating, diesel/auto mechanics, big need for airline pilots.

What does he LIKE to do - that would be a hint. Needs to have fire in the belly for whatever.

Story here- A friend was in same position with his son a couple decades ago. Chuck said he wanted to be an auto mechanic. His Dad asked if he didn't think he should go to college first, then if he still wanted to be a mechanic, go for it.

Chuck pointed to the service manager at the garage they were in and asked his Dad what he thought the guy made. "$35-40K annually".

"Put a 1 in front of that", Chuck said.

"OK- you can be a mechanic!"

Chuck, whom I last saw this summer in Fairbanks, is now Nisson's SE (US), service supervisor, over 150 service managers and 1500 service technitians. Several years ago, they moved into their $1.5M dollar Tennessee home his wife designed. He travels to Japan half a dozen times a year to provide input to the design engineers and other reasons.

Not bad for a kid who grew up mostly in Arctic Eskimo villages.

His biggest complaint is that he seldom gets to turn a wrench anymore - nearly all his workload is on the computer and meetings.
I was a commercial / industrial union electrician for 40 years, great trade, great wages. But I really think union laborers have the best deal going. Retire in your 50's with full pension and great wages too.
Auto mechanics- - - - -with as much computer specialty training as possible. I retired from the trade in 2011 with 22 ASE certifications (automotive Master Technicians have 8) and my last 30-something years was spent teaching the subject. There is a massive shortage of top-quality auto techs, and the room at the top is wide open for anyone willing to get deep into electrical/electronic diagnostics. The average top-end shop these days is air conditioned, and as clean as a surgical suite, not the greasy mess I grew up around. Now I spend all my time investigating warranty repair claims, and the shops I visit are all charging over $100.00 an hour labor time. They can't hire enough people to meet the demand for skilled technicians!
Jerry
One thing to consider is, what is he interested in. Most people aren't cut out for just any old job.

Currently, this country has a shortage of 1 million truck drivers. You can't find a decent truck or heavy machinery mechanic to save your life.
Machine repair / robotics.
Industrial electrician with a cert in electronics and controls.
Around here good plumbers, electricians and hvac are in demand. Business classes are good for everyone. A really good equipment operator can always find work. Work ethic is a priority, he can be taught the trade but he's gotta show up. Wife is a RN, says therapy and PAs have a good future. If he likes construction start work with a reputable contractor, he'll just be labor but he can see the trades at work. Might give him some direction. A goal would be to be either an employer or a supervisor before he's 50. Trades help keep you active but crawling under a house to fix a broken sewer is for the young guys.
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Industrial Electric Technology,....without a doubt.
this
I work in manufacturing. Good welders are hard to find. Fabricators even more so. Can’t tell you how many young guys I’ve had to teach to read a tape measure.

Machinists are in short supply also.
Union Electrician
Originally Posted by Whiptail

One that requires a license which limits supply and keeps wages high. Otherwise the wages will be decimated through uncontrolled competition from illegal labor.

That's good UNLESS the Dems get their medicare for all.
Pretty much any of the skilled trades where he gets his hands dirty. Kids just don't want to do this work. For the most part they just want to sit and work on a computer.

Auto/Diesel Mechanics
HVAC
Carpentry
Machinists
Aviation Mechanics

How bout 4 years in the Air Force learning to repair the most sophisticated aircraft in the world, and then on to a career in aviation mechanics?
I've ben told welding over a life time has a risk of lung cancer.
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Yeah, a lot of lung problems with those guys.

I&E ( instrumentation & electrical) as long as we have industry. Not sure if this classifies as a trade but, nursing. Nursing pays well, and he can pretty much work anywhere he wants to live! memtb
Electrician.
Happy to share with you what I told my kid. Told him if he didn't have a goal for the end of college it was a waste of money, and I'd rather buy him a company to work at till he learned the trade. I suggested AC, electrician, plumber. Also suggested .he consider the service, put in the full term and retire then go back to work as a contractor. I guess it worked, he became a fireman.
I have been in the heavy equipment mechanics business for 42 years. I have seen the equipment go from a battery and alternator to 5 or 6 computers controlling everything from engine, transmission to the hydraulics.

A young person with drive and a desire for knowledge would after learning the basics, could go to into troubleshooting the electronic problems on heavy equipment and bring home well over 100 grand a year just hooking up a laptop and repairing electrical problems. He then could go out on his own and make 200 grand easily a year with a service truck and no employees.

The nice thing about it, is his work can't be outsourced overseas and a robot can't replace him!
There always a demand for layin pipe.
We
Originally Posted by BWalker
Industrial electrician with a cert in electronics and controls.

This. It’s needed everywhere and always. We’re always going to be using electricity, and it’s one of the most reasonable trades to go out on your own.

I’ve been in the machine trades for over 40 years now (journeyman tool and die maker.) I wouldn’t get into it today for anything, for a number of reasons.
HVAC would be my choice...and commercial at that. There isn’t a property owner/manager alive that fears anythingnmore than the dreaded calls about the temperature of a building.

Then I’d have a residential side gig...specializing in weekend and holiday emergency repairs.

Then hire the best accountant I could find to keep track of all the money....

Something that can't be outsourced to a foreign country and likely won't ever be replaced with advanced automation/technology.

One such field not mentioned yet is repairing, rebuilding, servicing and maintaining high tech electronic diagnostic and data processing equipment.

Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Welding or Surveying.

Surveying for sure. My son is the coordinator for the survey crews on the I4 project in Orlando. He's been mentioning for years about the need for GOOD surveyors.

Wasn't long ago (1/09 to 1/17) I said I'd hate to be a young person entering the work force nowadays. Now that we have a real President the opportunities are endless IF your willing to work and do it to the best of your ability.
Tile showers will make you a bundle IF you learn the skills that go along with that!!

Originally Posted by StoneCutter

Originally Posted by StoneCutter

After 10-15 years then they can get into supervision, management or inspection.
Originally Posted by Whiptail

[quote=Whiptail]

I have to agree with Whiptail on this, whatever trade he chooses, pick one that has a barrier to entry that limits folks from joining the field. Some sort of official license or certification being required.

As others mentioned, something he has an interest in too. Might be worth taking a year off interning with a couple companies for a few months so he can experience what he would be doing. Especially to get an idea of the bad (HVAC replacement in the middle of summer, for example).

If he does have aspirations for the medical field, optimologist or dentist would be great choices. Not huge amounts of schooling required, by medical standards as least. Can set your hours, great pay and work doesn’t follow you home (I work in a profession where I get hundreds of emails a day. A profession where people don’t email you requests would be my choice if I could do it again.)
Originally Posted by jimjr
I’ve been a machinist for 43 years and am retiring at years end. We baby boomers are rapidly leaving all the trades but seems machinists are really leaving. My company and most nation wide are struggling to find any machinists at all. Pay is good and it’s not a particularly hard job if one gets the basics in a technical college. Almost everything we have and use is in some way touched by a machinist. We make molds to mold almost all our plastic parts and all parts to nearly everything from your auto to food prep to tools and whatever you can think of. Google machinist and read what we do to the shortage. I work for a medical device factory and make parts for surgical tables, overhead lights so surgeons can see, to scrub sinks, carts and other hospital equipment.

The Machinist trade has largely gone Star Trek. 3D printing is going to be doing the bulk of metal fabrication in 10 years. It's already doing a lot of it and they're getting the machines very tuned in.

3D printed 1911:

high end fire alarm tech. Always in demand.
So if you want to be a Machinist,...you're going to be learning to manipulate a computer program and feeding material into a 3D printer.
Based on my experience as a homeowner and people I've known who've gone into trades , I'd say either a plumber with some sort of certification or whatever papers separate better plumbers from the rest in whatever state he lives or works in, or an HVAC tech with similar certifications. I believe it would be worth the time and expense to get the schooling and certification in a skilled trade.

A couple of years ago I had a piece of property surveyed. Field surveying seems like a good trade for someone willing to work outside year round, who can put up with heat, cold, ticks, steep ridges, etc. Opportunities to work in both rural and developed areas. Based on what the survey cost me, it must pay pretty well.

He might be able to work for a contractor in whatever trade(s) appeal to him as a helper, gofer, or whatever to see what it's really like. If he has a strong work ethic, and is willing to learn and take on more responsibility and difficult assignments, the future will take care of itself. He has to make himself a valuable employee, because that's who a contractor or business owner will keep when business slows.
Electrician, HVAC, Plumbing, Equipment tech ( computer) or nursing. All good jobs with good pay!
No matter where technology takes the world, electricity is going to be powering a large part of it for some time to come. Maybe even more than it does now.

Learn the secrets of electricity and you can make money a thousand different ways,
Become a farmer on the Hi Line.

Very very seldom do you have to pay taxes.
The water treatment plant guys at our slope facility claim there's always a demand for people to work in that field.
License is better... Plumber, or electrician.
HVAC is harder work
Machinist is Prince of all skills...
My cousin was not smart, got terrible grades but retired multi millionaire doing dry wall contracting.
Real welders with advanced certs.
Stationary engineer in power plant.
And then there is the merchant marine.
Give some thought to the 40's thru the 60's.
Some of the things listed may get hard with age.
I watch these young guys take up warehouse work,
carpet laying, roofing, long haul trucking...
And cringe. When a family comes along, being away sucks.
But many get stuck, with bills that won't let them choose other jobs.
Other jobs destroy your body (so many welding recommendations, really want to do that
to a kid with options?).

Aviation in general. Nephew just graduated PIA. Avaition mechanics are needed,
And well compensated. He was offered $50k to start, and that was leaving school before
graduated or got his license.
HVAC would be my first suggestion....
And have made a good living in the welding, metal fabrication and repair business.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Other jobs destroy your body (so many welding recommendations, really want to do that
to a kid with options?).

And well compensated. He was offered $50k to start, and that was leaving school before

Yes, those aviation guys got a good thing.

Stone mason is hard to come by around here.
to a kid with options?).

Turbine and Rotor Type

Electrician / electrical engineer

Medical services

Power generation

REMC lineman
Join the Navy!

https://www.foxnews.com/science/mor...by-contaminants-in-tap-water-study-finds
A young man? Sex with rich women for money. If he saves, he should be able to retire after 5 years.
I'll second join the Navy even if just for 4 years. I'm a union boilermaker and with that said knowing what I know I'd say either union pipe fitter or electrician.
Locksmith/safe cracker my phone rings 7 days a week non stop
In this economy, pick any trade that greatly interests you.....

I was at a Plumbing convention yesterday, their looking for apprentices right now in a worried way.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Welding

A hard No.
You can’t go wrong as an electrician or plumber.
Originally Posted by Robert_White

Stone mason is hard to come by around here.

Another hard No.
Undertaker
If I had it to do over again, I'd do something along those lines. First I'd consider joining the military and get trained in working on planes, electronics, or diesel mechanics, those guys pull down some coin. Also cross train in the medical field, either nursing, (never out of a job) or some specialty, like anesthesiologist, or xray technician, there's a lot of good jobs. Get trained in the military. Spend 20 years in, retire, start over with a new job, and retire again.
I’ve worked at the plumbing trade since I started my apprenticeship in 71. I worked for a very large mechanical contractor. I learned to weld, operate backhoes and big excavators. I learned to install plumbing and commercial air conditioning systems. I worked for that company for 18 years. When I left I was one of the two field superintendents. If I had to do that over I would be an electrician. It’s cleaner, they don’t work quite as hard. There is lots of opportunities for side work. I went to work doing maintenance for a school district. It would be difficult to beat teachers retirement. It cost me money to take a maintenance job, but I’ve gotten it back in spades.

I would learn commercial electrical, AC, or plumbing, in that order,get ten years experience, get a school or college maintenance job. I wish I would have gotten on here a few years earlier. Construction is for young people.

Some hospitals, like MD Anderson or UT belong to teachers retirement. A maintenance job there is good too. Some of those high paid doctors will have a hell of a retirement.
I have 22 years in the Air Force. I wish I had become a pilot
Go to college and get an engineering degree. The trades are more sensitive to the general economy. Location dependent of course. Engineers are needed everywhere nearly all the time.
Learn HVAC and then start a business. Folks demand comfort and food demands refrigeration. I decided to build stuff instead of making it comfortable. When I'm done, I'm done. The HVAC guys get customers for life.
Son-In-Law does very well as a union pipeline welder working for local utility sub-contractors.

One of the keys to working in the trades (any career field actually) is work to be the best you that can at what you do. Show up at work, ready to work, when it's time to work. Become known as "that guy" who will get the job done, right, come hell or high water.
Originally Posted by Showdog75
I'll second join the Navy even if just for 4 years. I'm a union boilermaker and with that said knowing what I know I'd say either union pipe fitter or electrician.

And it's not all fleet. The Seabees have all of the construction trades represented.
One of the keys to working in the trades (any career field actually) is work to be the best you that can at what you do. Show up at work, ready to work, when it's time to work. Become known as "that guy" who will get the job done, right, come hell or high water.

Great advice!

Got hired one time and at the interview, the boss told me I had the job and they started at 7 am. Then he said he was going to give me my first job assignment...... be on time and ready to go to work at 7 am.
Now days, if he can pass the pisstest he's in.
Electrical Engineering if interested in a degree. Electrician/instrumentation. Always in demand.
Something thats not easy for anyone to get into. Something that you can make enough money to be happy but that doesn't monopolize your life.
Something that you can change locations if you want to but not have to start over. Something you enjoy doing. If I was 21 I would use this as a criteria.
Hvac.

Work 5-10 years then start his own business. Retire at 50.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Undertaker

Yep! Always in demand....people are dying to see you! grin memtb
It sure helps if you like what you do!
...Avaition mechanics are needed...

Aviation mechanic would be excellent if the young man is especially talented.
Who smart is he?

Does he want a traditional trade or a modern trade?

If he's normal smart, there's a lot of good advice in this thread. Industrial HVAC, Electrical and Plumbing pay very well around here.

If he's on the bright side and wants a modern trade that is best achieved with after a 4 year degree, I'd suggest Data Base administration, or some kind of engineering, Petroleum, civil, electrical. If he likes math, there's a hugh demand right now for good Data Scientist as well.
Son in law works as VP of a large hospital group. Makes good money, but his big bucks come from his construction business. He is licensed as a General contractor, and also as a Plumbing contractor. He does very well.
Dumbest thing he could do is go into a trade because of money!!! Smartest thing he could do is the trade that he most likes doing, then the money will come. My advice would be for him to work with a few different contractors and see what appeals to him. Although they all require working with your hands, they are not all the same. If it appeals to him, HVAC would be the best because their pricing is protected. Carpentry would be the worst for money because any homeowner can buy a hammer and nails and after 20 minutes on YouTube they have it mastered, so nobody wants to pay carpenters. On the other hand most homeowners don't even know what an A coil is or where it goes. Electricians and plumbers are also good choices.
In todays environment, if he shows up on time, works hard and listens well, he will rise to the top in no time at all because there is almost NO competition. Young guys these days are lazy, show up late, have no ambition and want to be on their phone all day texting. If he has some work ethic and can stay off his phone, somebody will appreciate him greatly.

I have had my own business doing residential remodeling and building for 15 years and trust me, good workers are hard to find!
Industrial electrician would be a GREAT career path. Always in high demand and pays extremely well. Electrical apprentices learn on the job and get paid to do so---no student loans to repay.
A very close second would be an instrumentation tech. Again, great wages and demand.
A two year course in instrumentation technology from Perry Technical Institute in Yakima Washington (cost--about $40K) is among the very best programs available and, if the student is performing well he/she will most likely have a good job before graduation. Wages will probably start at $50-60K+ per year and could easily be over $100K within 5 years. Recruiters fly into Yakima from all over the world on a regular basis recruiting candidates.
Diesel mechanic.
Sales.
I work everyday with trades. Plumbers, electricians, and heavy equipment operators are always in demand.They’re in high demand for good ones. Poor to average ones are a dime a dozen.
Forget machinist, those jobs can be sent over seas. The building trades cannot be sent outside the country.

I was Exec VP of a large commercial MEP contractor and had my Master level HVAC, Plumbing & Gas Fitter cards. I would not recommend being a welder unless it is combined with plumbing and pipe fittings so when his eyes are shot, somewhere around 50 to 55 years old he can still work the pipes.

Being an HVAC Tech is a good career if he gets into commercial work, and that requires considerably more training than the average HVAC Tech wants to do. Most go into a certificate program in a technical school get a job with a residential/small commercial operation which will not pay as well as a tech trained to work on large commercial equipment. If he goes the HVAC route tell him to continue his education beyond just a HVAC Certificate from a Tech School or Community College. Get him to get on with a commercial contractor, a manufacturer such as Trade, Carrier, York, etc. and to take all the classes they will let him have.

If HVAC is not his cup of tea I would highly recommended the electrical/electrician trade. Typically an electrical installation is not a strenuous physically as a plumbing/pipe fitting install is, although there are exceptions. This means his career can be possibly be a little more productive late in life over the guys who are plumbers/fitters, just due to the stress and strain on the body. Todays electricians get to do some really cool installations with the computerized lighting controls, security systems and computer networks that modern building have today.

If my grandsons want to be in the trades I would recommend Commercial HVAC or Commercial Electrical as career paths.
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
If I had it to do over again, I'd do something along those lines. First I'd consider joining the military and get trained in working on planes, electronics, or diesel mechanics, those guys pull down some coin. Also cross train in the medical field, either nursing, (never out of a job) or some specialty, like anesthesiologist, or xray technician, there's a lot of good jobs. Get trained in the military. Spend 20 years in, retire, start over with a new job, and retire again.

Military now is not the older form of military. It is super hard on the body. We have had several fellers in their early 40s die of heart attacks and a lot of that has to do with anxiety and combat stress. I support the military entirely and wish I could have served but the toll on the body and mind that it presently asks is more than considerable.
Electrician, hvac, refrigeration, myself I took auto during school and construction and ended up in parts for our local transit and just retired after 45 years, was a good trade for me.
Another idea, but not sure what to call it.

We have a guy that comes into my work and works on the big industrial motors
and drives. AC/DC all kind of crap I don't begin to understand.

He works for an electrical motor service, but he is their only guy who
understands all that stuff in use.
Travels all over the eastern half of the US+.
About to retire.
Our maintenance guy is wotried sick, nobody to replace him.
Diesel mechanic.

I was reading a farm mag the other day during lunch and they had an article about the current lack of mechanics who could work on the latest computerized diesels.

We are 50 miles away from 3 major dealers and you constantly see dealer mechanic pickups going. And I bet over half the calls are about some stupid computer issue. Emissions or a sensor is out and shut everything down....

That said I would hate to be a field mechanic.

Join the miltary.
Get a skill maybe.
Sow some wild oats, get laid often.
See some of the planet.
Spread some american good will. Hahaha!!!
Grow up and mature some maybe if needed
Take some trade or college stuff while in.
Some of the trade jobs in the military have journeyman equivilant programs transferable to civilian employers.

Get out, go to a trade school or college again.
Or tansistion right into a job he has gained skill in
Use vet / gi bill stuff

Or stay in the military.

Everyone is different.
Let him find himself into something he wants to do.

Bristoes bamboo thread brings to mind equipment operators.

The ones in this area are always busy and seem to do very well. They certainly charge a pretty penny.

I have no idea how that business works, but owning some equipment and a learning how to use it seems like a good way for a fella to make a career on his own terms.
Ex-ray tech is a two year associate degree and they make big bucks.
A male nurse would be in demand.
Industrial sales pays a six number salary.
Service engineers for big equipment manufactures go all over the world company paid everything while their own paycheck goes in the bank.
Aircraft controller would be solid.
Corporate Internet security would be in high demand.
A gigolo could do well.

What ever skilled trade a young person chooses to train in, it probably wouldn't hurt to maybe add some academic college courses to their resume, too, especially in business management and economics, in case they may want to try going out on their own at some point.

If he stays drug free and chooses to learn as he goes, he can go into any trade nowadays and make it just fine. He needs to learn business skills and time management, as he will always be busy.
I gunsmithed for a shade over a decade. Wonderful job that I enjoyed immensely. Horrible pay and nonexistent benefits all the while having to toe the line with .gov regulations. Wouldn’t recommend it as a career.

Put that behind me and got back into welding. Mostly structural steel but some pipe and petroleum jobs too. You can make a pile of money at it if you take the time to get good. It’s a package deal too, lots of Joes can sling a bead around something but lots more can’t cut and fit. A good bit of fairly complicated math involved in being a good fitter/fabricator. There’s also the fact that to make the bucks you need to be on the road. Chasing rigs, putting up structures, or on the firing line on the ROW welding out pipeline. Then there’s the toll it takes on the body, eyes, ears, lungs, and joints all suffer in the welding game. If a young fellow is inclined toward the wild side the pipeline and oil patch can be the Wild West and get a guy in trouble. Lots of drugs and wild women around the big money when you have 100 welders living in campers putting in a pipeline making $75 an hour. I still love to weld and fab but I could see that at my age and with a family it wasn’t the place for me to be in the long game.

I’m now a maintenance tech at one of the local power Co-ops. We do a lot of trades work with no one specialty. On any given day I can be called on to be a plumber, welder, electrician, carpenter, mechanic, lawn guy, HVAC tech, pretty much you name it and we do it. It’s a great gig and the pay and benefits are incredible for this area, I’m thankful every day that I was able to get on.

As an aside, everyone needs power. The electric company isn’t going anywhere for a long time, regardless of boom or bust. Every position at the place I work for is very well payed and stable with almost no chance of layoffs or cutbacks. We have truckers, heavy and light equipment operators, welders, warehouse guys, mechanics, construction workers, linemen, and myriad office type personnel from secretaries to attorneys. Bottom line is to look for something that’s recession proof. If I’d have skipped my first two trades and started where I am now I’d be retiring before I turn 50. At least I had a life of adventure when I was younger and I wouldn’t want to trade it.
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Bristoes bamboo thread brings to mind equipment operators.

The ones in this area are always busy and seem to do very well. They certainly charge a pretty penny.

I have no idea how that business works, but owning some equipment and a learning how to use it seems like a good way for a fella to make a career on his own terms.

It’s not. Barriers to entry are too low in an industry built on secured debt. Market prices are set by players desperate to maintain cash flow for debt service on iron. It’s too easy to blow the business’ equity chasing\buying work. These two factors alone guarantee almost cannibalistic competition.

Exceptions are with the application of heavy equipment to solving complex problems in niche markets and/or having relatively exclusive longer term contracts with .gov, utilities, etc.

one can't easily ship electricity all bundled up in the hold of a ship coming in from a foreign country.

that's one thing to think about.

another thing is that old people need all kinds of service providers..from house, lawn, personal, to trips to doctor, etc.

everyone wants the highest pay possible. that's a natural. but some jobs will always pay more than others.
Originally Posted by TheKid
If a young fellow is inclined toward the wild side the pipeline and oil patch can be the Wild West and get a guy in trouble. Lots of drugs and wild women around the big money.....

Or smoke weed and build stuff in the mountains.
Have him become an EMP repairman.
I started at a university in mechanical engineering, I made it one year before I was told I couldn’t come back. I went to a tech school and wanted to be in the electrical program but it was full. Found that there was a 3 year option to start in refrigeration and AC for 2 years and come back for a third year for the electrical degree, so I took that route with the industrial electrical option.

I got both associates degrees and had job offers in both fields but turned down the plant electrician job at a sugar beet refinery because it was 50 miles from where I wanted to live with the then girlfriend. I took a job as an HVAC apprentice. It’s a good job but it has its slow times, especially the in between seasons.

Looking back I wish I would have went the electrical route but I’m to old to start another apprenticeship. HVAC is a good career but I would steer the young man towards electrical.
It really depends on the young man, what his talents, interests and experiences are.

My recommendation is to do a stint in the military to get his head on straight, develop some self-discipline and experience what the real world is all about.

Perhaps he will find other interests as a result of venturing out past where he's already been. Plus the .mil has all sorts of jobs that could give him a foundation for a further career. And they'll pay for schooling after he gets out.
No matter the trade he picks.

1. Show up everyday.
2. Show up and leave on time.
3. Work all day.

I don’t fire ppl. But can influence it.

Had to let one guy go, he was fugging up more stuff that he was sending out the door.
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Originally Posted by TheKid
If a young fellow is inclined toward the wild side the pipeline and oil patch can be the Wild West and get a guy in trouble. Lots of drugs and wild women around the big money.....

Or smoke weed and build stuff in the mountains.

You’re channeling the Appalachian pond building thread.
Have him become an EMP repairman.

Talk about the serpent eating it’s tail.
From what I’ve seen of the current 20-30 yr olds if one is willing to work 40 hrs there worth keeping not many of them understand the concept of 50-60 hrs most want to come work 10-5 or 12-5 wtf
I spent 35 - 36 years in the electric utilities. I did quite well but I never finished college, therefore I knew nothing when it came time for a promotion. If I would have stayed in the union side I would have been stuck behind guys that were younger then I was but had more company time, therefore, they would have gotten the position I wanted. Was a no-win situation. Only thing I could say is that there were no layoffs and I retired with a decent pension.
My advice would be the young man to take stock of himself and ask what he would like to do 12 hours a day / 6 days a week. Once he can answer that get into that field and get all the training he can. I do agree the electrical side has lots of openings. It's not magic but very few people understand even the basics of it.
All the trades are hurting for talent...
I made my living as a Welder till I gave it up to Farm...there is great money to be made ..I always made more money than the project managers I worked for...I started out with the UA and gave that up pretty quick figuring I could make more money on my own..which I did...
The last year I worked they were paying me stupid money and I was workin with a bunch of young guys with collage that couldn't get jobs in there field...
Lots of great advice above and I can't add much to the years of experience displayed here.

Word from the wise:

Find a skill or vocation that is recession proof.
What does everybody require despite a major economic downturn?

Water
Food/Groceries
Electricity
Heat and Air
Sewer

Position yourself, young man, to survive the coming [bleep].
Add to that list healthcare.
Originally Posted by kingston
Add to that list healthcare.

Yes! Huge there, Kingston.
no one for mowing grass?

White boy with a white frame Costas, backwards Tarheels hat, big gold rope chain, 2 exmarks, 2 mexicans, 4 door f-350

Mexis do the work, "Trey" paces back n forth on cell phone cussin his girlfriend beside his truck at every job
Instrumentation, controls & automation. My FIL recently retired as a professor teaching these trades. With a two year associates degree, his students are making as high as $120,000 a year to start! Makes me wonder why the hell I became an engineer with a 97% placement. The 3% was some girl who got pregnant and her mrs degree instead.
Masonry trade is wide open for a youn man in this area.
Tell him I'd trade my considerable turn-key experience for his youth! grin
Doing machine fabrication with lathes, milling machines, surface grinders, ect, is so satisfying when you first start getting a feel for it that many would do it for nothing. That's why I got involved with it. But the novelty of it wears off after a couple of decades,..and there always some young boys that enjoy doing it so much that they'll do it for pocket change,......just like I did when I was a young boy.

But in any event, the machinist trade has changed so much and is *still* changing so much that it bears little resemblance to the set of skills that I first started learning back in the mid 70's.

It's rapidly turning into something that I don't even recognize.

The computer revolution landed smack dab in he middle of the machine trades a long time ago and at this point, the trade is moving and morphing just as fast as anything else that involves computers.

It's already to the point that a large part of a "machinists" day is spent in front of a computer terminal.

If that's what someone wants, it's there to some extent. But it's become a very difficult trade to keep up with. The things one learns becomes obsolete very soon.

I retired out of the trade 5 years ago and it had already gotten away from me. Not that I'm complaining about it. I was ready to retire, anyway.

But anybody who is thinking about the machine trades these days needs to take a good look at what it is. Chances are it's not what they think it is,...and it's going to be something completely different in 7 or 8 years and then again 7 or 8 years after that.
Bristloe-

You turn out parts on 0.030 tolerance? Location and bore?

For you no problem. You took pride in what you did. Now. It’s not the same.
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Bristloe-

You turn out parts on 0.030 tolerance? Location and bore?

For you no problem. You took pride in what you did. Now. It’s not the same.

The thing is,..I talk about how technology has changed the machinist trade because that's the trade I'm familiar with. I'm fairly certain that technology is going to impact a lot of trades in a similar fashion.

A young man needs to be very careful what he launches into these days. Because 10 years from now what he's doing might not require a human. Or maybe technology will allow one human to do the work of 500.

I saw a video a while ago of a CNC operated machine that lays up concrete walls. It can lay out a house in a day. All it needs is a man feeding it material. It just lays it out with no forms or anything. Basically, it's a 3D printer for buildings.

That's just one more example.

the big questions should come first

- what does he like to do ?
- is he “business minded” (have enough common sense to run his own company)

That will make a difference in what he should do
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Masonry trade is wide open for a youn man in this area.

That’s a hard pass. Your knees and back will be blown out and retirement will be miserable.
Electrician best union excellent retirement plan high wages once the apprenticeship is completed and he can go anywhere and work.
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Doing machine fabrication with lathes, milling machines, surface grinders, ect, is so satisfying when you first start getting a feel for it that many would do it for nothing. That's why I got involved with it. But the novelty of it wears off after a couple of decades,..and there always some young boys that enjoy doing it so much that they'll do it for pocket change,......just like I did when I was a young boy.

But in any event, the machinist trade has changed so much and is *still* changing so much that it bears little resemblance to the set of skills that I first started learning back in the mid 70's.

It's rapidly turning into something that I don't even recognize.

The computer revolution landed smack dab in he middle of the machine trades a long time ago and at this point, the trade is moving and morphing just as fast as anything else that involves computers.

It's already to the point that a large part of a "machinists" day is spent in front of a computer terminal.

If that's what someone wants, it's there to some extent. But it's become a very difficult trade to keep up with. The things one learns becomes obsolete very soon.

I retired out of the trade 5 years ago and it had already gotten away from me. Not that I'm complaining about it. I was ready to retire, anyway.

But anybody who is thinking about the machine trades these days needs to take a good look at what it is. Chances are it's not what they think it is,...and it's going to be something completely different in 7 or 8 years and then again 7 or 8 years after that.
I am an apprenticed toolmaker from the 70's that went into management, run the apprentice program for a very large corporation. You want the money go into industrial electronics and maintenance, you don't believe me go to the DOL website and look up potential
Electrician! My good childhood friend is an electrician and does very well for himself. He stays away from residential, and only does industrial. He says residential is cut throat, and that's why he stays away from it.
Pilot
Doesn't take a degree and the future is bright. There is a huge shortage expected for the immediate future and there will be plenty of opportunity for advancement.
Electrician like many have said, or even aircraft related electrical...other than that a cosmetic surgeon
cause the world is full of vanity. .. grin
Gun Fighter.

Don't figure this is for everyone, but, this career path (although, never planned) has worked well. Learned what hard work was down on the farm and in the mines, couldn't see it as a lifetime career and I guess Uncle Sugar agreed as I was offered the opportunity to learn a new trade and experiences. Employer and myself realized that I had an aptitude and enthusiasm for the job, thus, I eagerly pursued all available training and assignments. Once I returned to my former life, with the assistance of a kindly judge, I came to realization, that civilian life wasn't for me. Went back into the military and truly tested my capabilities and limitations, deployed more than I was home. Retired after 20 and became a Federal Air Marshal, tuff assignment on the family, away from home averaging 270 nights a year. Left the FAM and joined the Alaska State Troopers , retired and then went back to work OGA contractor. Yes, I missed most of the time when my kids were growing up, when I was there, I was usually hurt or injured, but, still got the same good women who has stuck by me all these years. Been shot 4 times, umpteen surgeries, still driving on, current pay = 2K a day, pay my own way, security detail. Yes, it is ridiculous money for a simple pilgrim. Took me a long time to reach this level and ain't much job security, it has been a hell of a ride. Always regret the time away from the family, says the man who made his living with a gun.
Handyman or industrial sales.

Handyman is actually the best, IMO. People have a lot of disposable income and zero capability IME. Simple jobs are impossible to get done. Replace a door, replace 1 piece of siding, fix a leaky door, rekey locks, finish a homeowners patio project, change out damaged vents, basic appliance repair, etc. Simple things that nobody knows how to do. Get on next door for your area. It is literally $100 here, $100 there....people need help.

Industrial Sales - I mean selling for a part maker or toolmaker. In most sales jobs, the pressure to sell more is unbearable. When you are selling to OEM’s, you still have to sell, but the pressure is less because there is less opportunity to actually sell. You still often have access to corporate box seats, nice cars(some car allowance), entertainment budget, and the opportunity to make a lot of money because companies see your ability to close the deal more linked to their profit than the actual product you are selling!

Industrial Maintenance or Fabrication = This one is my favorite....with a few years of tech school....electrical, PLC programming and robot programming, get 5-10 years experience with an oem, then write your own paycheck working for a big name contractor on installs and repair jobs. Be aware, the stress while gaining experience can be high as you are often the person making stopped equipment run again....be ok answering...”why so long?” Without taking it personally!.
+1 Handyman, our neighborhood handyman is very busy often working 12hr. days 6 days a week. He has begun to specialize in kitchen and bathroom remodeling from simple countertop/fixture jobs to complete tearout/makeovers. He still does plenty of small electrical, plumbing and painting jobs to stay busy and have fill in jobs for rainy days.
I'd consider robotics.
Get an electricians license. You can't out source electrical work to China. You could work full time for a company, and you could freelance on weekends. Spend 5 hours wiring up a hot tub on Saturday and put $300 cash in your pocket.

I went to trade school, I got a paramedic license. I was a paramedic for 14 years.
I remember, working a call where a little 8 year old boy was crossing the street for the school bus stop, the pickup truck ran the school bus markers, and ran the kid over. I remember, his mother on her knees in the blood, in the street, crying, while we loaded the dead little boy up into our ambulance.
How many calls like that would you like to run?

I went to another trade school, I got a CDL. I drove over the road for 8 years. I stayed out 14 days and was home for 2 days. After 6 days on the road, I would have to do a 34 hour break. Sat in a parking lot in Laredo in 103 degree heat, for a day, couldn't drive had to reset the clock.

How many times do you want to stay out for 14 days, and do a 34 hr. reset in a hot parking lot? I mean, I was making $65 K but should have been making $95K. Really brutal job.

While I was a paramedic, 33 years ago, I went to log building school I became a master log builder, and I built the beautiful log cabin I live in.
I thought I could make a career building log cabins, but, nobody ever hired me. I am still trying to figure that one out.

I wish, when I was in my twenties I had gone to electrician school, the road is paved with gold for a young man with an electrician's license.

Although nobody ever hired me to build a log cabin, I did spend years working as a carpenter. And I am an expert carpenter. The most I ever got paid is $15 an hour. The problem is, there is no license for a carpenter. You go down to Lowes, buy a circular saw, a drop cord, and a 4 foot level and, like magic, you are a carpenter. There are so many goof offs who are willing to work cheap as a carpenter, that it has knocked the bottom out of the market. Fifteen an hour is pathetic.

Believe me, as a licensed electrician you will never see $15 an hour, more like $65. Get good at bidding a job like I said above you will be making a hundred bucks an hour.
Originally Posted by Pat85
Union Electrician

I've been a Union Electrician for over thirty years, Local IBEW 369 and now IBEW 2100. I know a lot of people get their panties in a twist about unions here, but the pay scale and benefits are heads and shoulders above the non-union trade work in my area. Average salary is $90,000 not counting benefits like retirement annuities and medical insurance. If you like a lot of overtime, it is usually there for the people who wants it and $125,000 isn't uncommon yearly earnings. A young man that goes though the five year apprenticeship program will be paid to go to school once a week as long as he keeps his grades up and receive an Associates degree and a Master Electrician Licence when he completes his apprenticeship. It has proven to be a stable work situation, except during the Recession around 2002, but that didn't last forever and I can't remember anything like that in recent memory except for that time period. I make $42.03/hr right now and will get a $1.02 raise November 3. Pay scales and raises along with medical co-pay are negotiated for four year contracts. You know what your future holds. It has worked for me, YMMV.
Ah, if we could go back to being a senior in high school knowing what we know now....

When your nephew finds a trade that suits him and is making good money at a young age, talk to him about living below his means and saving & investing.

Most of the trades can wear a body out before the standard retirement age so it is good to have an exit strategy.
Originally Posted by Dess
Construction, plumber or electrician. Combine that with business classes and he'll never want for work.

I worked telecommunications. Land lines are a dinosaur. Unless you get skilled in fiber optics, I'd stay away from it and cable tv too.

People will always need plumbers and electricians regardless of location, demographics, or economy.

Nailed it.

I’ve long extolled the virtues of becoming an electrician to my sons. Once a journeyman for 2-3 years, start putting yourself through school to become an EE

IMO engineers with practical experience in the field can do very well, up to an including running their own firm if they have entrepreneurial desires.

Nada wrong w plumbing either, just see more healthy electricians 55+ than I do plumbers, if all a guy wants to do is just stay a tradesman
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
Pilot
Doesn't take a degree and the future is bright. There is a huge shortage expected for the immediate future and there will be plenty of opportunity for advancement.

Damn good suggestion ! Guys I know in aviation concur
Tsavo,

Thank you for your service, particularly to our AST, as it’d be hard pressed for me to be more proud of that org.

In my albeit limited experience with them directly, I find it to be staffed by intelligent, compassionate folk that stand ready to do the toughest job there can be at times.

You’ve looked at it from the inside out, and for every day while with them.

Tis my fervent hope you’re as proud them as I am.
Never seen a oversupply of hvac...never...AC AHU...40+ a hour all day long..
Or skip the union bs... and finish drywall for a living... that chits a art and ALOT of folks have no clue...
We sometimes hire a plumbing contractor at work for bigger jobs we don’t have the time or equipment for. Our normal guy is more or less a one man band. I usually have to go be his gofer and I don’t mind as he’s a good guy and I can usually learn something from him.

Talking with him a while back and I asked why he didn’t have a helper or another guy running another van since he’s always swamped. He said he can’t get anyone to come work for him, nobody wants to be a plumber he says. He’s had a standing offer out for a couple years for a hand, pay is $25 an hour to start, he’ll provide the tools and training. Hasn’t had anyone stay more than a couple months. Now he’s about 60 and charges a minimum of $100 to show up plus $50-75 an hour. He’s about the only game around so what happens when he dies or retires?

To me that means that market will be ripe for the taking for a young ambitious fellow. But like the man says, seems nobody wants to be a plumber anymore. Almost seems like guys would be embarrassed to tell people they were plumbers.

Thing to remember is what another buddy of mine, who was also a plumber, told me. He said, “When someone has schit floating in their basement, they don’t care what it’s going to cost”.
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit

Nailed it.

I’ve long extolled the virtues of becoming an electrician to my sons. Once a journeyman for 2-3 years, start putting yourself through school to become an EE

IMO engineers with practical experience in the field can do very well, up to an including running their own firm if they have entrepreneurial desires.

Nada wrong w plumbing either, just see more healthy electricians 55+ than I do plumbers, if all a guy wants to do is just stay a tradesman

Seems Electrical is mentioned A LOT here. Does anyone know anything about those 2 year college degrees where you become an "Engineering Technologist?" Can you make a decent career from not being a full engineer, but an engineering technologist instead?
Neuter Specialist

Buddy down at the local zoo is.....castrating elephants.

He says his salary isn't too good....but the TIPS ARE GREAT!!

Seems Electrical is mentioned A LOT here. Does anyone know anything about those 2 year college degrees where you become an "Engineering Technologist?"

I know about the program that was offered at my community college. It was basically a 4 year degree with all of the crap eliminated. *Very* mathematics oriented. Nobody got out of it in 2 years because the math classes were so intensive that you could only take a few classes per semester. Nobody finished in less than 3 years and most took 3.5 or 4 to get through it.

Basically, it was all of the tough classes condensed into a "2" year degree. Also, they knocked the number of credit hours down on many of the classes to keep the degree down to the generally required 55 or so credit hours,..even though it contained many more classes than most of the 2 year programs.

I don't know how it is elsewhere, but it didn't make any sense to take the 2 year mechanical engineering degree where I attended. It was just as tough as a BS degree without the benefit of having a BS degree.
Does the young man have a preference for where he wants to live? Big factor IMO.

As Bristoe mentioned, an Industrial Electrician is a good trade.... in his or my area. Kick it up a notch & be trained in Industrial Maintenance with a side of Electricity & I know of 10 places around here that would hire this week. Some of those places being big dogs of industry.
Would those same skills be a good career on the High Line? Unfortunately, never been there, so just asking.

Someone here mentioned the other side of the coin the other day; decide where you want to live & find a way to earn a living.....There. Interesting thought. I remember a sister in law & he husband moving from Fl. to N. Ohio. I ask what they were thinking. She went on to tell me that they wanted to maintain their current lifestyle(both big money makers). Smartassed me told her that that they might maintain their current salaries, but their lifestyle was about to change dramatically. One month into their second winter up there, they headed back to the sunshine at a rapid pace.

Step grandson & I had this same conversation just yesterday. It wasn't easy for me to give a solid answer. I worked in industry for so many years, & saw so many changes in technology, plus the changes in global marketing, it's hard for me to predict a solid future. Robotics are hot right now & getting bigger. But hell, 20 years from now folks could be moving/handling products telepathically. crazy Seems far fetched, but not as much as it used to be. ??
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit

Nailed it.

Seems Electrical is mentioned A LOT here. Does anyone know anything about those 2 year college degrees where you become an "Engineering Technologist?" Can you make a decent career from not being a full engineer, but an engineering technologist instead?

Yes you can. The 2 year EET degree provides you with a basic understanding of electricity/electrical/electronics. From there a lot of company's will hire you and train you to their specific desired function, there are many routes you can take with that degree.
there's different levels of physical therapist trng.

i've never done that, but have paid some of the bills.
I've been in welding for 30 years and it has treated me well and I really like what I do now.

That said, my two brothers are electricians and if I was 18 and starting again, I'd look really hard at being an electrician, if going the trade route. The opportunities are almost endless in the electrical field depending on what you want to specialize in.
I'm about to retire from 34 years in the Electric & Gas utility business and I can tell you from experience that many Linemen in our company make over $200,000 per year with overtime factored in. Good benefits, 401k, paid vacation etc. I think the guys who work out of the union hall make about the same with a better pension.
I also know that plumbers are about as scarce as honest politicians around here.
I think any of the major trades would allow him to work anywhere he wants.
Originally Posted by Gus

Lots of money in Physical therapy with all the ageing baby boomers.
HVAC/Plumbing/Electrician/residential construction/CNC programming all seem to be pretty good.
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by Gus

Lots of money in Physical therapy with all the ageing baby boomers.

as the population shifts in terms of age, training, and increasing urbanization, we're going to see more and more gov't licence involvement, and permitting.

technology will be regulated, as it is now. to get grandfathered into a license is not quite the same as qualifying for a license of any kind through the testing process.

who can we trust to administer the testing, and licensing product other than gov't? no one that i know of.
You've got to start with what the young man is wired for. Don't send a kid that's wired as a rough carpenter to program a CNC machine. Don't send a social butterfly to be a PLC programmer.

Got a nephew that designs basic electronic control equipment, base level stuff. Guy is a super nerd, always employed.... but lord, to try to have a conversation with him..... ??!!!

Got a brother in law that's an experienced carpenter with a business oriented wife (always helps to marry well...). He now specializes in kitchen installs, and clears right at $800 a day. But, he works when he's at work, and he's dam good at what he does.

Is he a social butterfly? Pharmaceutical sales, and he'll bring in $200K a year if he's good at it. Sales, in general, is the best paid profession we have. Get a few basic skills, learn the sales trade, and business to business sales is a solid career.

Healthcare? Sure, if you can deal with the bureaucracy, and that will only get worse, and worse, and worse.....

My son went back to college to be an electrical engineer. They started recruiting him his freshman year.....
elelbean,

loads and loads of good suggestions so far.

I'll go with gunzo and a couple of others. Figure out what kind of situation he wants to live in and figure out what kind of career would work in that kind of area. Then do what's necessary to achieve that dream.

Reading las's post about the person making big bucks in a major city in the South after growing up in Arctic Native villages gave me the shivers. Works great for those that like cities, and I guess some are willing to put up with the stress in order to make that kind of dough. It's not for certain folks though, and could thoroughly ruin a person's life if caught up in it and "stuck" there.

I made good money for years as a Union commercial baker, think Wonder Bread. Lived in a major metro area, had bucks to chase girls, go drinking, buy some nice fishing eqpt, a new car at age 23, and all the stuff that came with the lifestyle. Never got anywhere in life.

Changed course, decided I wanted to live in a more rural setting and earn a "decent" salary while not chasing the riches. In my case I went the University route, got a degree in a field that provided numerous opportunities to live .in some fairly remote places, working with fish which I love to do, and retire with a "decent" .gov/SS/IRA combination type income. Might like to change the final outcome a bit, as my wife ended up with a really nice paying job in a nice rural area and we ended up with a really nice piece of property and house.........but it's in California. Politically, it's not to my liking, even being in one of the, if not THE reddest county in Cali. Other than that, I'd not trade being poor for four years in college, traveling back and forth across and north/south in our great land and all the hassle of those multiple moves, living away from my wife and dogs seasonally for years, and not feeling settled until now, for all the money and retirement I would have earned staying a baker in the big cities.

For me, locality I'd want to end up at would be my highest priority if I was starting out again. Then it would be career choice, based on that. Where I live now, there's not much demand for robotics techs, but a good dental tech would find work, same as about anyone in the medical field. A licensed physical therapist, even at the assistant level could likely make a decent year round living. We're in a bit of a "dying" area industry wise, so even welding and fabrication skills are not that much in demand. Construction is a seasonal gig, as there's not much building going on here during the winter.

Another thing mentioned, is the boy a stay at home type, sees settling down and raising kids as the most important thing in life? That's going to drive some decision making then. Wanting to advance in some "trades" might involve moving long distances if employed by large companies, the Feds, or even a State agency in a big state.

I wish him the best.

Geno
Originally Posted by Dutch
My son went back to college to be an electrical engineer. They started recruiting him his freshman year.....

One of the hot degree's here is an MS in Biostatistics. Very few finish the program because after the first year a stupid amount of money is presented to them.
HVAC and Refrigeration. Work at the commercial level.
Crane Operator, Can't believe no one has suggested it. With the new OSHA standards a greenhorn kid with a decent brain and playstation skills will pass the certification exam easier than an old school seasoned vet. Sad but true. The OSHA certification retired a bunch of the old guys and not many of the younger generation has taken up the skill. Operators are in high demand and make high dollars.

Originally Posted by ctsmith
Crane Operator, Can't believe no one has suggested it. With the new OSHA standards a greenhorn kid with a decent brain and playstation skills will pass the certification exam easier than an old school seasoned vet. Sad but true. The OSHA certification retired a bunch of the old guys and not many of the younger generation has taken up the skill. Operators are in high demand and make high dollars.

Very good trade, but imo it’s like telling someone to be a chopper pilot, another great gig, but both you need ability to walk and chew gum while whistling the Gettysburgh address 🤔🤦🏼‍♂️

Your average bear might have a tough time w those.

Course no one has mentioned security personnel at a brothel, apt to die a broke sumbitch, but oh the stories, the memories

The Water Treatment, and Wastewater Treatment field is an aging demographic. New Operators are needed badly and depending upon where you work, pay can be excellent!
Originally Posted by frogman43

The Water Treatment, and Wastewater Treatment field is an aging demographic. New Operators are needed badly and depending upon where you work, pay can be excellent!

The average age of an operator is rising every year. Can't blame the young people for not becoming one , the average pay is not good.
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
I'm about to retire from 34 years in the Electric & Gas utility business and I can tell you from experience that many Linemen in our company make over $200,000 per year with overtime factored in. Good benefits, 401k, paid vacation etc. I think the guys who work out of the union hall make about the same with a better pension.
I also know that plumbers are about as scarce as honest politicians around here.
I think any of the major trades would allow him to work anywhere he wants.

Good mention. Got a buddy in the line work end of things, makes 250k average per year, works about 8 or 9 months to do it. I am getting into it as we speak. Been a multitrade contractor for years, having trouble finding decent help and the materials are getting worse as well. Sick of it, so hitting the lines. Make good money, have good bennies, and make some friends. Looking into the transmission end, so will probably see some good country as well. What’s not to like? Lots of young men could do it and retire at 50 with a great pension, lots of assets, and good health insurance. Makes healthcare look like a sweatshop by comparison when you look at schooling required vs. pay received. And a whole raft of guys fixing to retire in the field makes it a great choice as well. No matter what, everybody has an interest in keeping the lights on, and guys who will work and can think will be pretty much writing their own check in the years ahead. Let the soy boys work the nursing homes and burger joints, a kid with some brains and brawn, as well as a work ethic, belongs in the trades. They all need him.
The medical field offers a vast array of career opportunities. It is a challenging, constantly evolving profession that offers upward mobility and lets you choose where and how you want live. It is probably best to avoid it if not highly motivated and comfortable w/ being elbow deep in other folks' icky stuff.

mike r

Originally Posted by lvmiker
The medical field offers a vast array of career opportunities. It is a challenging, constantly evolving profession that offers upward mobility and lets you choose where and how you want live. It is probably best to avoid it if not highly motivated and comfortable w/ being elbow deep in other folks' icky stuff.

mike r

Nursing Informaticist is one such medical field specialty, and no,"elbow deep in other people's icky stuff", involved either.

So many post discussing union wages. Will the unions last? I've worked for 2 companies that had moved to get away from the union. I've worked for others that plainly said if the place went union they would close the doors or move. This includes one privately owned company that said no one, not any body would tell him how much to pay his workers. The doors would be closed & the company would cease to exist. This was not a back alley welding shop. It was a globally recognized manufacturer with a 150 employees.
Another company not accepting the union is maybe one of the largest manufacturers in the..... world. They told the employees; don't do it.

Not trying to start a pro/con union discussion. Just my thoughts on the future of them.
HVAC, electrical, plumbing.
Originally Posted by Dutch
.. Sales, in general, is the best paid profession we have.

very true the proof being some pastors really know how to herd them in and strike it very rich.

another would be lucrative arms /ammunition sales to supply gov. requirements when arming rebels
for proxy wars and the like...through such circles you could end with ones fingers in other pies as well.

one could end up in some strange unexpected places meeting all kinds of weird and wonderful folk
and really open ones eyes to the world.
Originally Posted by jimjr

Two types of things in this world ......things God made or things Machinists made.

And if they didn’t make them. They made the tools to make them.
Those pilots don't work a lot of hours and get paid really well. Probably start with the military to get the hours. A fishing friend is a senior corporate pilot and does well. The wife's niece flies for Fed Ex because packages never complain and she wants for nothing. An ex military helicopter pilot tenant of mine quit at a local paper mill to go fly a helicopter with Minnesota execs into the Dakota oil fields.
Plumbing, Heating & Air, Electrical all pay well. The Electrical industry was good to me. Which ever one is chosen, try to get away from Residential and into Commercial or Industrial. And keep up with the current technology.
Originally Posted by gunzo
So many post discussing union wages. Will the unions last? I've worked for 2 companies that had moved to get away from the union. I've worked for others that plainly said if the place went union they would close the doors or move. This includes one privately owned company that said no one, not any body would tell him how much to pay his workers. The doors would be closed & the company would cease to exist. This was not a back alley welding shop. It was a globally recognized manufacturer with a 150 employees.
Another company not accepting the union is maybe one of the largest manufacturers in the..... world. They told the employees; don't do it.

Not trying to start a pro/con union discussion. Just my thoughts on the future of them.

Our local, IBEW 369 was organized 100 years ago with 15 members. When I got into the apprenticeship program we had somewhere around 500 members in the early 80s. Today the local has 2600 members and can't accept everyone applying for the program. As long as we can get the same amount of work done with better quality with about 1/2 to 2/3 of the manpower on the job as the non-union tradesmen, I think we can control our own destiny. At least that has been the way in has worked in the 40 years around the Greater Louisville area. We routinely work travelers from other locals to supply workforce demands. Right now I make $42.03 /hr not including medical benefits, 401K match and retirement annuities. For that kind of money around my area, you are expected to carry your share of the load or you are sent back to the bench to work for someone else. If you have a reputation of being a poor worker, you just won't get steady work. Kind of self regulating.
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs
Machine repair / robotics.

I'd throw in CNC and if that doesn't fit his needs electrician. But, robots and repairing them is in the future. If you are really smart, programing them.

kwg
go in the service 1st and go see some of the world,then go into a trade.
Good God. $42 an hour for the electrician, plus benefits.

When I was driving the Big Rig, earlier this year, I made $29 an hour, driving down I 10 at 65 mph.
The problem was, when I got to the terminal for a five hour unload, I got paid nothing. Over the road truck driving is a brutal job.
Try finding a job that has a pension for your retirement without a union.
I lost a union job 30 years ago and could never find another one. Now I have retired on Social Security.
Try retiring on that.
Originally Posted by memtb
Undertaker

Yep! Always in demand....people are dying to see you! grin memtb

But you rarely have a happy customer.
Originally Posted by joken2

Originally Posted by lvmiker

mike r

Nursing Informaticist is one such medical field specialty, and no,"elbow deep in other people's icky stuff", involved either.

For someone with IT skills, take a look at getting medical IT certification. It opens a lot of doors.
Originally Posted by whelennut
I lost a union job 30 years ago and could never find another one. Now I have retired on Social Security.
Try retiring on that.

Be sure that the union's pension fund is actually funded. There are thousands of former unions members out there who found out too late that theirs wasn't. It's become a crisis for public sector unions. I was a teamster for 18 years, long enough to be fully vested. My union conference is fully funded and I've been drawing it for 6 years now. Other conferences weren't funded and the members get nothing.
I'm a project manager in ship repair and we are dying for pipe fitters and welders. A young man with good work ethic who is a good combination pipe fitter/welder can make BIG money working power plant outages if he wants to travel and make very good money working in ship repair or shipbuilding if he wants to stay in one location. If I could find a good pipe foreman with ship repair experience right now, I would back up the money truck to get him.
I'd skip HVAC and carpentry as the technicians don't get paid all that well unless they own the company, but plumbers and electricians do. I've worked as a controller for all these companies, so I do know how the wages vary.
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Good God. $42 an hour for the electrician, plus benefits.

When I was driving the Big Rig, earlier this year, I made $29 an hour, driving down I 10 at 65 mph.
The problem was, when I got to the terminal for a five hour unload, I got paid nothing. Over the road truck driving is a brutal job.

My uncle was a truck driver his entire life. Drove and unloaded local in Louisville KY. It would have driven me mad, the way small vehicle don't respect 80,000 lbs of rig sharing the highway. A good truck driver never is paid what he is worth in my book. Beat to hell all day and putting up with minivans with women putting on their makeup. Always appreciated the service they provided. For $42.03/hr, I don't mind paying my fair share of Union Dues. Never missed them in the 33 years I've been paying them.I 'll get a $1.02 raise first week of November.

Try retiring on that.

Non government, non union jobs that offer defined pensions to new hires are getting more and more rare every year, offering instead a employer specific matching X% to employee's personal 401k contribution.

Many of the older, still existing defined pension and retired employee benefit programs (including gov't and union) are/were underfunded and often being challenged in courts, asking commitments be reduced substantially or released from some or all commitments, including even those of already retired.former employees.

Originally Posted by RickyD
I'd skip HVAC and carpentry as the technicians don't get paid all that well unless they own the company, but plumbers and electricians do. I've worked as a controller for all these companies, so I do know how the wages vary.

That's very good info. to know.
Originally Posted by joken2

Try retiring on that.

Non government, non union jobs that offer defined pensions to new hires are getting more and more rare every year, offering instead a employer specific matching X% to employee's personal 401k contribution.

Many of the older, still existing defined pension and retired employee benefit programs (including gov't and union) are/were underfunded and often being challenged in courts, asking commitments be reduced substantially or released from some or all commitments, including even those of already retired.former employees.

We are offered a defined annuity as well as a one time payout ranging from $420K to $600K depending on years of service. I plan on retiring in four years and seriourly considering the one time payment. I believe I can invest and do more with the money myself and not have to worry about what you speak of in the way of future annuity payments.
Look into the Johnson O'Connor Institute. pm sent.
Where are you located elelbean? Or should I say where is the young man located?

Tug boat work can be quite a profitable way of making a living. Drawbacks are living on a boat for days/weeks at a time. Working "watches", which ain't for everyone. Being away form wife and family if one has those. If a kid is single and looking to get a start though, one can make some decent bank in a few years, especially a kid with a good work ethic willing to put in OT.

Hard outdoor work, good food generally provided by the company (not sure about little mom and pop outfits, but the bigger companies feed their crews very well). Newer boats are luxurious for sure, older ones can be "interesting" to live on. And depending on the company, work for a week or two, off for a week or two. Planned right, lots of time for hunting, fishing, vacationing.

If a person works hard, is interested in getting a license and being a Captain or Pilot, they can really do well. Especially in a bigger Union outfit.

Again, good luck to your nephew.

Geno
Four years ago I built an addition onto my log cabin. I did all the carpentry, and also did all the wiring. Good thing because, these electricians are getting about $70 an hour around here, for these little jobs. Besides, it is hard to get an electrician to even show up to do a bid on a log cabin they just don't like 'em.
I did the wiring and it turned out real well this is the fourth log cabin that I have wired. I love to do wiring.

But I don't like plumbing. We had one bathroom for the addition, with, one washing machine, one shower, one toilet and one sink. Pedestal sink.
The plumber came out and said he wanted $70 an hour, here again hard to get a plumber to show up, to drive way out into the country and drive our 3/4 mile driveway for a little job. He said he would do a bid for $2200 but it would come out to about $70/hour.

We clocked the guy, he worked at our house for 9 hours. He came out 3 times, one hour per trip. And he probably spent 2 hours at the plumbing supply store. I picked up the shower, and the sink, and the toilet at Lowes all he had to buy was plumbing stuff. Also, I installed the shower, the fiberglass part, and he plumbed it up.

So this guy spent about 14 hours, counting travel, for $2200. $157 per hour. So, if you live in the rural mountains of North Carolina, would you rather be a carpenter at $15 an hour, or a plumber at $157/hour?

He said he preferred to be paid in cash, said it was "easier on the book keeping." I didn't just fall off a turnip truck, that means, no book keeping, no pesky income tax.
It’s hard to find a good plumber, they charge a lot because they get stiffed a lot on small jobs for individuals. You agree to do a job for a certain amount, when you get done they want to renegotiate the price or won’t pay even with a written estimate. You can take them to small claims court, but that takes time. I quit doing side work, unless it’s someone I know.
I don't begrudge the plumber for the $157 an hour. I knew it would be expensive, I just am not good at plumbing and don 't like to do it.
I have sweated a good deal of copper pipe, and done a lot of pvc. It doesn't agree with me. I was glad to get this guy out here, the other two guys we called never even showed up to do an estimate.

That is one aspect I hadn't thought about, a slimeball customer could stiff you on the payment and dare you to take them to small claims court. There are a lot of sleazy customers out there, I guess.
I can tell you for a fact, there is a bunch of them. The hindu- Indian MF’s are the worst, with chink bastards next in line. Most small guys have learned to avoid them, I wouldn’t go in a black persons house either.

Small general contractors are bad about stiffing subs too.
Auto tech.
Everyone is trying to find experienced techs.
Read an article in a magazine the other day that Rick Hendrick of NASCAR fame needs over 500 techs in his dealer group right now.

Tell him to get in a factory training program for BMW or Benz.
The people that drive these cars tend to keep them for quite awhile after the warranty expires and they have the $ to fix them.
Auto tech.
Everyone is trying to find experienced techs.
Read an article in a magazine the other day that Rick Hendrick of NASCAR fame needs over 500 techs in his dealer group right now.

Tell him to get in a factory training program for BMW or Benz.
The people that drive these cars tend to keep them for quite awhile after the warranty expires and they have the $ to fix them.
while we're throwing out everything but the kitchen sink to the subscribers, might as well mention radio & tv technicians/announcers/script writers.

it's a small field. not for everyone. but it can be lucrative and lot's of fun too, or so i have heard.

sellin' intangible ads is one thing, on-air announcing is quite another.

usually an FCC radio-telephone license is required.

might need a special endorsement stamp.

worth checking into for specialists.
I've worked electrician,plumber and HVAC trades. Electrician paid the best and is the one I finally retired from. Here is a tip, don't just learn one. The last job I had was top civilian electrician at a military base, after working there a while I was chatting with the boss and he asked if I knew why I got the job. I told him no. He said others had the same qualifications as electricians as I had but no else had a EPA Universal Refrigerant certification. The base HVAC tech had just quit and they hired me to cover two jobs till they could hire another HVAC tech.
Originally Posted by kalbrecht
I've worked electrician,plumber and HVAC trades. Electrician paid the best and is the one I finally retired from. Here is a tip, don't just learn one. The last job I had was top civilian electrician at a military base, after working there a while I was chatting with the boss and he asked if I knew why I got the job. I told him no. He said others had the same qualifications as electricians as I had but no else had a EPA Universal Refrigerant certification. The base HVAC tech had just quit and they hired me to cover two jobs till they could hire another HVAC tech.

there's that "certification" deal showing up again.

worked with a dude that got grandfathered into a general contractor license back in the day.

few of those grandfathered licenses/certifications left.

they can add considerable value.
Whatever he does, tell him to be in the top 5% of it. If he makes it to that, he'll be fine.
"The last job I had was top civilian electrician at a military base"

I'd like to swap your pay, for the $15 an hour I was making as a carpenter.
It helps to learn other aspects of a trade, I learned to be a certified welder, backhoe operator, got my masters license, backflow license, wastewater license. Also got a CDL license to haul the backhoe around. All that helps you get a job if you want to change employers. I also learned enough About HVAC to work on my AC and furnace when I have problems. I wish I knew more about electric work.
My recommendation would be for him to do a skills test to see what he is good at, these are available commercially. I don't know how it works now but at one time the Military would do a skills test without an enlistment commitment, that may be well worth him checking into just to find out where his skills may be.

My point being that there is no use in trying to be an electrician, HVAC, welder or any other trade field unless he has a bit of ability in that particular field. Chances are if he goes to something that he has some skill in then he will be happier in his work and will be more likely to be successful in what he does.

drover
Originally Posted by Gus

there's that "certification" deal showing up again.

Agreed. Never turn down an opportunity for training. The "checkmark" in the right boxes can get you ahead.
Originally Posted by drover
My recommendation would be for him to do a skills test to see what he is good at, these are available commercially. I don't know how it works now but at one time the Military would do a skills test without an enlistment commitment, that may be well worth him checking into just to find out where his skills may be.

My point being that there is no use in trying to be an electrician, HVAC, welder or any other trade field unless he has a bit of ability in that particular field. Chances are if he goes to something that he has some skill in then he will be happier in his work and will be more likely to be successful in what he does.

drover

I think that makes a lot of sense. I wouldn’t have any aptitude for electronics or working with computers.
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by drover

drover

I think that makes a lot of sense. I wouldn’t have any aptitude for electronics or working with computers.

Maybe there's a vocational "rehab" or training type agency in the kids state?

I took some aptitude tests once. After answering a bunch of questions, I found out I was suitable for things like "back country forest ranger", game warden, cattle rancher. In other words, I had no aptitude for working with others, especially in larger settings. By myself or with a few other workers, sure, but other than that. Nope.

No wonder I ended up taking the route I did working and living in rural areas either mostly alone or in small facilities with small staffs.

It might be worth a dollar or three for the kid to find some sort of testing to figure that out before he spends 10 years like I did making money at a job he doesn't like, just to be making money.

Geno
[quote=Whiptail]
One that requires a license which limits supply and keeps wages high. Otherwise the wages will be decimated through uncontrolled competition from illegal labor!

This!
I was a union carpenter, and the beaners have ruined that trade, also the cement, and brick layers unions.
Originally Posted by Whelenman
[quote=Whiptail]
One that requires a license which limits supply and keeps wages high. Otherwise the wages will be decimated through uncontrolled competition from illegal labor!

This!
I was a union carpenter, and the beaners have ruined that trade, also the cement, and brick layers unions.

Every building trade down here!
© 24hourcampfire