Home
Posted By: Kyhilljack It's taking over - 09/22/19
Anybody else dealing with this on their land, fields or pastures ?
SERICEA LESPEDEZA

[Linked Image from webapp.agron.ksu.edu]
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: It's taking over - 09/22/19
It's invasive in many states, including here.

Distribution

U.S. Nativity: Introduced to U.S.

Native Origin: China, Korea, Japan, Formosa, and Himalayas (Alfred Rehder, Manual of Cultivated Trees and Shrubs: Hardy in North America, The MacMillan Co., New York (1967)); China, Japan (Bailey, L.H. and E.Z. Bailey, Hortus Third: A Concise Dictionary of Plants Cultivated in the United States and Canada, MacMillan Publishing Co., Inc., New York , (1977).); NatureServe Explorer

U.S. Present: AL, AR, CT, DE, FL, GA, HI, IA, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MA, MD, MI, MO, MS, NC, NE, NJ, NY, OH, OK, PA, SC, TN, TX, VA, WI, WV

https://www.texasinvasives.org/plant_database/detail.php?symbol=LECU

I spray in the early spring before the grass comes out green.
Posted By: WAM Re: It's taking over - 09/22/19
What do you spray it with?
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: It's taking over - 09/22/19
Originally Posted by WAM
What do you spray it with?

A broad leaf herbicide mixture. I use Remedy with a dash of Sendero and a good 80/20 surfactant.

If the grass is already green I make the mixture weaker so that it won't burn grass when i spray.
Posted By: slumlord Re: It's taking over - 09/22/19
My chiggerweed and blackberry vines would kick its ass
Posted By: Kyhilljack Re: It's taking over - 09/22/19
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
It's invasive in many states, including here.

Distribution

U.S. Nativity: Introduced to U.S.

Native Origin: China, Korea, Japan, Formosa, and Himalayas (Alfred Rehder, Manual of Cultivated Trees and Shrubs: Hardy in North America, The MacMillan Co., New York (1967)); China, Japan (Bailey, L.H. and E.Z. Bailey, Hortus Third: A Concise Dictionary of Plants Cultivated in the United States and Canada, MacMillan Publishing Co., Inc., New York , (1977).); NatureServe Explorer

U.S. Present: AL, AR, CT, DE, FL, GA, HI, IA, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MA, MD, MI, MO, MS, NC, NE, NJ, NY, OH, OK, PA, SC, TN, TX, VA, WI, WV

https://www.texasinvasives.org/plant_database/detail.php?symbol=LECU

I spray in the early spring before the grass comes out green.

I see that Remedy has triclopyr in it. I use Crossbow on brush weeds around here for the triclopyr in it. May give that a shot.Not going to eradicate it but try to keep it down in certain areas.
Originally Posted by slumlord
My chiggerweed and blackberry vines would kick its ass

Had to look up chiggerweed , queen anne's lace . Dad always said there were chiggers in that. In comes out in august around here usually when it is drier. never got chiggers in it. Always get mine in the blackberries and in the garden.
Posted By: 22250rem Re: It's taking over - 09/22/19
I also looked up chiggerweed........ Wasn't sure what it was; but it's just Queen Anne's Lace. Never heard it called anything different.
Originally Posted by 22250rem
I also looked up chiggerweed........ Wasn't sure what it was; but it's just Queen Anne's Lace. Never heard it called anything different.

Well in the Vol state they also call a garden hose a 'hose pipe', a good dinner a 'meat and three', a creek a 'crick' and a window a 'winder' .
Posted By: dubePA Re: It's taking over - 09/22/19
Name an invasive insect, aquatic critter or weed that HASN"T come here from Asia to plague us.
Posted By: Gus Re: It's taking over - 09/22/19
the war against exotics is picking up steam.

but some among us would say it's too little, too late.

we can slow the rate of invasionary species, but we can't stop it.

but maybe some of the experts are wrong. i hope so, but doubt it.
Originally Posted by Gus

Thought for sure you could have worked taxes in there somehow.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: It's taking over - 09/22/19
Originally Posted by dubePA
Name an invasive insect, aquatic critter or weed that HASN"T come here from Asia to plague us.

Democrats?
Posted By: Gus Re: It's taking over - 09/22/19
Originally Posted by Kyhilljack
Originally Posted by Gus

Thought for sure you could have worked taxes in there somehow.

given the invasiveness of such things as cogon grass, taxes can help?

cogon grass, from japan is a bad actor.

gov't will help control w/taxes?

that is, taxes pay for control.
Posted By: northcountry Re: It's taking over - 09/22/19

Well in the Vol state they also call a garden hose a 'hose pipe', a good dinner a 'meat and three', a creek a 'crick' and a window a 'winder' .

Kyhilljack What do you call a gully/wash. Just wondering. Thanks. Cheers NC
Originally Posted by northcountry

Kyhilljack What do you call a gully/wash. Just wondering. Thanks. Cheers NC

A gulch or gully. Now mind you I was born in NY raised in Ky and lived in Colorado. Example; My house now is situated on a hogback between two small drainages with a gully running the length of the gravel drive down to the creek .
Posted By: IZH27 Re: It's taking over - 09/22/19
Is this recommended by KY Fish and Wildlife for small game habitat?
Originally Posted by IZH27
Is this recommended by KY Fish and Wildlife for small game habitat?

They say quail love the seeds. Then I read it is not good food for quail. I see a lot of quail around here though.
Posted By: keith_dunlap Re: It's taking over - 09/22/19
Originally Posted by dubePA

Wetback
Maybe the autumn olives will crowd it out. Got plenty of them. But at least you can eat the berries.

[Linked Image from habitatmatters.org]
Posted By: kwg020 Re: It's taking over - 09/22/19
SERICEA LESPEDEZA

Does it have a common name ?? I have been trying to get the wild parsnip out of my CRP. I have the wild flower and grasses program. The wild parsnip is just about to take it over. Just like it has done in the ditches and pastures. Now I have a new one to worry about. It looks familiar but I can't say that for sure yet.
kwg
Originally Posted by kwg020
SERICEA LESPEDEZA

Does it have a common name ?? I have been trying to get the wild parsnip out of my CRP. I have the wild flower and grasses program. The wild parsnip is just about to take it over. Just like it has done in the ditches and pastures. Now I have a new one to worry about. It looks familiar but I can't say that for sure yet.
kwg

Lespedeza cuneata is a species of flowering plant in the legume family known by the common names Chinese bushclover and sericea lespedeza, or just sericea. It is native to Asia and eastern Australia and it is present elsewhere as an introduced species and sometimes an invasive plant.
Down in Tenn. they call it chinkweed.
Posted By: hanco Re: It's taking over - 09/22/19
Chinkweed is funny!
Posted By: victoro Re: It's taking over - 09/23/19
Dallisgrass from Central America. It has taken over every yard and field around here except for the artificial turf fields.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/weeds/dallisgrass-weed.htm
© 24hourcampfire