Home
Posted By: MtnBoomer Snow in your hills yet? - 09/22/19
Sorry for the bug splatter, it's how I view the world.

Out of Elko NV.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: ronc Re: Snow in your hills yet? - 09/22/19
Snow, huh, still eating fresh tomatoes here.
Posted By: Gus Re: Snow in your hills yet? - 09/22/19
many times remember blowing snow on the friday following thanksgiving, while killin' the first hog of the winter.

most serious or laying snow never comes before january 1st, except in history making years.

yes, i have seen it snow on christmas day, but it didn't lay. just slush everywhere.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Snow in your hills yet? - 09/22/19
These hills are likely over 8000'... If I ever go hermit, it might be N Nevada.
Crazy Mountains were covered a fair ways down the side yesterday. Hopefully the goat hunters were prepared.
Posted By: poboy Re: Snow in your hills yet? - 09/22/19
Nope, not yet.
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Crazy Mountains were covered a fair ways down the side yesterday. Hopefully the goat hunters were prepared.

That reminds me. Someone needs to remind me to put in for tags next year, each deadline!
Posted By: Dutch Re: Snow in your hills yet? - 09/22/19
We had a little dust at 6,500 feet on the dark side of the hills. Last of the snow melted on July 19 this year.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Snow in your hills yet? - 09/22/19
The only snow on the mountains around here is on top of my head......but there is also a fire in my furnace.......haha.

First off, no mountains, secondly, even if it did snow, it wouldn't stick when the temp is 90.

I'm a little bit envious of you mountain fellows, as I would like to see that scenery and the cooler weather.
Posted By: Salty303 Re: Snow in your hills yet? - 09/22/19
None on the mountains up to 7000 ft or so that I can see from here the other day. Then a system rolled in and I can't see squat today there's about a 1000 foot ceiling. A cool rain is falling so there could be some up top since I could see up there. If not any day now.
Posted By: 44mc Re: Snow in your hills yet? - 09/22/19
I don't even have mountains much less snow. down here they call us swampbillys cuzz they aint no hills
Posted By: Ptarmigan Re: Snow in your hills yet? - 09/22/19
Snow down to about 2500' in the mountains above Anchorage after yesterdays storm.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Snow in your hills yet? - 09/22/19
Hey Boomer,

First pic looks like the Warners here (9000' for those unfamiliar) No snow down here at 4400' or so....................yet.

35F here this morning, so I'm guessing it could happen with any one of the next couple of storms. Already had frost the other morning.

Safe travels home.

Geno
Near Well, NV sans bug splatter.

Note: No whorehouses were harmed in the making of this photo...

Posted By: DryPowder Re: Snow in your hills yet? - 09/22/19
North of Elko it's been snowing this week and I was glad to see it, 12 hours of cold rain gets old. I heard there's about 6 inches around 8,200 feet, we're working around 7,000 feet and mostly rain with a little snow mixed in and nothing is sticking.

If you make it to Fernley, you can get wifi at the first Pilot out by the concrete pad across the street. Just make sure you are facing the building and can see the roof.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Snow in your hills yet? - 09/22/19
Originally Posted by ronc

Same here... Current forecast calling for 96*F on the first of October...
Originally Posted by DryPowder
North of Elko it's been snowing this week and I was glad to see it, 12 hours of cold rain gets old. I heard there's about 6 inches around 8,200 feet, we're working around 7,000 feet and mostly rain with a little snow mixed in and nothing is sticking.

Cold rain gets old quick! Love that country.
Posted By: hanco Re: Snow in your hills yet? - 09/22/19
89 here right now!
Posted By: greydog Re: Snow in your hills yet? - 09/22/19
There was snow pretty low down when we travelled through Crownest Pass last thursday but it's all gone now. It has been so warm, I haven't been able to get too enthused about shooting an elk or anything else, for that matter. About 68 degrees right now and cloudy. We have not had any frost since May. This is very atypical. GD
Here's one just sent to me from home today! Well, next door actually.

Montana is cold and unforgiving, please stay away, for your own safety.

Posted By: kkahmann Re: Snow in your hills yet? - 09/22/19
Archery Season opened yesterday—moose won’t keep in this weather—not even hard frost yet—still got blueberries in the bush
Hope it changes for you. Eat some blueberries for me please.

Yakutat sure had some blueberries, I tell ya...
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Snow in your hills yet? - 09/22/19
No snow yet in Miami! 😜
Could you go to the beach and get us some booby pics?
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Snow in your hills yet? - 09/22/19
Hi Boomer, we drove north through Wells about 3 hours ago, small world. I was shattered to find that Bella's [cafe] was closed for vacation. I punt my diet for their chicken fried steak and gravy Eggs Benedict. Their CF steak is the best i've ever had. Drive carefully.

mike r
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Hi Boomer, we drove north through Wells about 3 hours ago, small world. I was shattered to find that Bella's [cafe] was closed for vacation. I punt my diet for their chicken fried steak and gravy Eggs Benedict. Their CF steak is the best i've ever had. Drive carefully.

mike r

Excellent report!

I-5 N California, cafe at Pollard Flat exit 712 (I think) has a decadent CF if there ever was one. Musta been bathed in butter!
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Snow in your hills yet? - 09/22/19
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Originally Posted by ronc

Same here... Current forecast calling for 96*F on the first of October...

Don't it suck.......but this is Kentucky, and the weather is never "normal" or whatever that is supposed to mean. I'm watering the crap out of stuff, trying to keep it from drying up on me. But, on the flip side, still eating tomatoes and green beans.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Snow in your hills yet? - 09/22/19
Snow up on the Sierra Spine, only sticking above 8k though was the report from some buddies.
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Snow in your hills yet? - 09/22/19
Supposed to hit 91 deg. tomorrow here in southern N.J. Was 46 deg. yesterday morning. I'm much happier with the lower extreme. It's archery season now, and I have no interest in going into the woods in this heat.

Went over Donner yesterday but didn't notice much anything after being traumatized by California traffic for 5 days. Two in the Bay Area, then LA then San Diego then LA then the Bay Area. Love the state, hate the hords of people. Still regretting not stopping at a produce stand near Salinas. Saw elk by that San Luis? Res....
Originally Posted by JeffyD
Supposed to hit 91 deg. tomorrow here in southern N.J. Was 46 deg. yesterday morning. I'm much happier with the lower extreme. It's archery season now, and I have no interest in going into the woods in this heat.

Yah, that's just too darn hot.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Snow in your hills yet? - 09/22/19

snow comes early to Utah with hills to 13K'.......

https://www.ksl.com/article/4663574...alls-but-wildfires-still-burning-in-utah
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Snow in your hills yet? - 09/22/19

we've had fresh local snow 2 weeks ago.......

our upper ridges run to 11K'.......but.......

some of last years snow is still hanging around in north facing bowls & pockets
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Snow in your hills yet? - 09/22/19
No way I am ready for snow till maybe December, if then.
Posted By: kroo88 Re: Snow in your hills yet? - 09/23/19
Forecast for next weekend is snow and mid 20s for lows in the Sweet Grass Hills.

Winter wheat sprouted yesterday so we’re ready.

Not.
Posted By: irfubar Re: Snow in your hills yet? - 09/23/19
No snow yet on the Swans or Mission range. Was in Bozeman yesterday and the Spanish peaks, Gallatins , Absaroka's and Bridgers were covered on top.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Snow in your hills yet? - 09/23/19
Kali and its famous Freeway Sound Wall Canyons.

Yip Traffic can be bad in certain areas. And these stupid dumb muther humpers wanted to waste 100+ billion on a fuggin high speed train to carry a few hundred people at a time.

Yes them be a Tule Elk by San Luis Res. You can hunt them on a very limited 5 tag draw. Most likely you'd die before drawing that hunt. And if you did draw it youd better be set on hunting private property which means thousands in trespass fees or an outfitter.

Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

Went over Donner yesterday but didn't notice much anything after being traumatized by California traffic for 5 days. Two in the Bay Area, then LA then San Diego then LA then the Bay Area. Love the state, hate the hords of people. Still regretting not stopping at a produce stand near Salinas. Saw elk by that San Luis? Res....

Posted By: EdM Re: Snow in your hills yet? - 09/23/19
Still in the 90's here in Texas. North Idaho looks clear.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Snow in your hills yet? - 09/23/19

90's..............

suck...........
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Snow in your hills yet? - 09/23/19
FC, Those Tules sure are costly critters to hunt IF you can draw a tag. But they get some nice ones too. I may start wasting my money in the draws for elk here in Cali, but it will be for our local ones. Maybe try to get an archery tag.

Boomer, that's a horrible week of driving. Should get hazard pay, or war zone credit.

RE: bikini pics. That is one of the few things I miss about living in SoCal, 9 months of bikini weather with extra days thrown in on the other three months! And so many of them too. Haven't seen one here in the Modoc, not even on a nice 90F day. A halter top or two is all. frown

Geno
Posted By: WestMont Re: Snow in your hills yet? - 09/23/19
Western Montana Bitterroots were white the last couple of days but mostly melted off by days end. I can still see a couple of patches that stayed year long.

MtnBoomer, you mentioned Yakutat. I'll be there by weeks end. Have a fishing trip planned so I'll look for the blueberries while I'm there.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Snow in your hills yet? - 09/23/19
Yah. Bikinis are rare some places!
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Snow in your hills yet? - 09/23/19
Boomer, I know perdamnzackly where that Wells photo was taken! Haven't been there since I retired 12 years ago, but that chimney rock hasn't changed a molecule.

We have the same amount of snow here on the mountains AND still have fresh tomatoes. Gotta love Utah!
Pretty good stretch of country indeed. Luckily it's far enough to not fill up right away....
Posted By: Owl Re: Snow in your hills yet? - 09/23/19
Mtnboomer ? Elko ? I worked for Southern Pacific for 5 years. Spent almost all of it between Winnemucca and Montello. I LOVE Northern Nevada.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Snow in your hills yet? - 09/23/19
Both sides of Hwy 93 from the White River Narrows to the Idaho line is awesome if you like big country and can live w/out bourgeois luxuries. Don't tell anyone.

mike r
Originally Posted by Owl
Mtnboomer ? Elko ? I worked for Southern Pacific for 5 years. Spent almost all of it between Winnemucca and Montello. I LOVE Northern Nevada.

Posted By: Owl Re: Snow in your hills yet? - 09/23/19
I recognize those keys. Have a few myself. Hog head ? Brakeman ? Firemen ? Conductor ? Maintenance of Way ?
Both sides of Hwy 93 from the White River Narrows to the Idaho line is awesome if you like big country and can live w/out bourgeois luxuries. Don't tell anyone.

mike r

Damned straight. If'n I ever go hermitting...
Originally Posted by Owl
I recognize those keys. Have a few myself. Hog head ? Brakeman ? Firemen ? Conductor ? Maintenance of Way ?

Grandfather S&P 38 years when he retired. Track Repair/Maintenance and Recovery Foreman.

mike r

Boomer,

Go a little west of 93 to Jarbidge... a hermits dream.....

Or the south east side of the Ruby Mtns a place called shantytown.....
Originally Posted by irfubar

mike r

Boomer,

Shussssssh... LOL

mike r

Boomer,

Shussssssh... LOL

One can find some hermitage like places out near Vya on the NW side of NV too.

Just sayin, then we could meet up in the big city of Ft Bidwell for lunch.

Geno
Originally Posted by Valsdad

mike r

Boomer,

Shussssssh... LOL

Geno

Geno my friend,

The country you refer to is certainly hermittable, maybe to the extreme........ but I have been informed we need to exercise top secrecy....
Originally Posted by Valsdad

mike r

Boomer,

Shussssssh... LOL

Geno

Geno my friend,

The country you refer to is certainly hermittable, maybe to the extreme........ but I have been informed we need to exercise top secrecy....

Maybe they could find us if they look in the places without light? grin

[Linked Image from nasa.gov]

Geno

PS, I can tell where Vya is just because there's nothing there!
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Snow in your hills yet? - 09/23/19

going put a long sleeve shirt on...........

luv it........
Cedarville for the best BLT ever. But that was like 21 years ago.
Posted By: fester Re: Snow in your hills yet? - 09/23/19
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Snow up on the Sierra Spine, only sticking above 8k though was the report from some buddies.

Looking forward to weather in D3 this weekend......

Opening weekend
Posted By: fester Re: Snow in your hills yet? - 09/23/19
I heard reports of snow as low as LaPorte... 5000’
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Snow in your hills yet? - 09/23/19
If I ever go hermit, it might be N Nevada.

I spent the majority of my adult life in No. NV

You could do a lot worse but it definitely ain't for sissies.

PS.....always...and I do mean always.....carry at least two spare tires. smile
© 24hourcampfire