Home
Posted By: bcp B-17 crashes and burns - 10/02/19
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=B-17&t=ffsb&atb=v169-1&iar=news&ia=news

Bruce
Damn. The Krauts couldn't shoot it down over Schweinfurt, but it blows up in a civilian accident.
I bet there are some casualties.
Posted By: hanco Re: B-17 crashes and burns - 10/02/19
Damn. Not many still flying!
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: B-17 crashes and burns - 10/02/19
That doesn't look like the one I flew in a year or so ago. Damn shame first for the dead and injured, and second for the loss of an irreplaceable plane.
Posted By: Paul39 Re: B-17 crashes and burns - 10/02/19
It appears that it was the one marked as Nine-O-Nine.

I flew on Sentimental Journey.

Posted By: m1rifleman Re: B-17 crashes and burns - 10/02/19
sad to hear that....
Posted By: Mike70560 Re: B-17 crashes and burns - 10/02/19
I flew on Nine O Nine two years ago. Great experience. Prayers for the lost souls and the injured.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: GrandView Re: B-17 crashes and burns - 10/02/19
Reports of five dead as of now.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: B-17 crashes and burns - 10/02/19
Tragic loss it is.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: B-17 crashes and burns - 10/02/19
I flew in "Madras Maiden" (Tail #448543) in May of 2017. It was an experience I looked forward to for years - and will never forget. Link: http://warbirdregistry.org/b17registry/b17-448543.html

How sad it is that others died while achieving that same kind of bucket list dream. And also how sad that an irreplaceable plane is lost.

News now says all 10 passengers and 3 crew were killed.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: B-17 crashes and burns - 10/02/19
Scheidt.

that sucks for all involved and their families and friends.

Geno
Posted By: bcp Re: B-17 crashes and burns - 10/02/19
Aerial view of wreckage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkWRhghB1AY

Bruce
Posted By: g5m Re: B-17 crashes and burns - 10/02/19
I wouldn't have expected survivors from crash and big fireball. What a shame.
When my Dad was lined up for the Mustang, we got to visit with the other Collings flight crews as we all waited for a break in the weather. So while I don't remember names, I do know I talked shop with the B17 crew about their tour life. It doesn't say who is dead, but its a terrible feeling all the same, especially for something that brings so much joy.
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: B-17 crashes and burns - 10/02/19
Originally Posted by bcp
Aerial view of wreckage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkWRhghB1AY

Bruce

Damn.
Posted By: Steve Re: B-17 crashes and burns - 10/03/19
Just found out a guy I used to work with died in the crash.
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: B-17 crashes and burns - 10/03/19
The Collings Foundation tour came through North Texas Regional Airport (the old Perrin AFB) last Spring and I went through the Nine O Nine and took pictures. Very sad about the folks lost.
Posted By: JoeBob Re: B-17 crashes and burns - 10/03/19
The early word on another board from someone who flys warbirds and knows people at the Collins Foundation is that somehow or another it got a load of JP instead of high octane.
When Aluminum Overcast came to Lebanon Tennessee in 1997, the family pooled our funds and bought Dad a ride- - - -first time he'd been in one in 52 years. He was scheduled for a 1-hour flight on Saturday morning- - - - -$600.00 back then. I went out to the airfield on Friday afternoon and happened to get into a conversation with one of the ground crew. He was into restoring military jeeps and staff cars from the WW II era. I had a bunch of Ford flathead V8 parts that he needed for one of his restoration projects. We drove to my shop and I gave them to him. That got me an invite to share a meal with the crew. Later that evening someone mentioned that the tug they needed to move some of the planes wouldn't move- - - -transmission trouble! The tug had a flathead Chrysler 6 cylinder engine and a Torqueflite transmission- - - - -long story short, I got the transmission fixed around 2:00 AM.

Went home, showered, no sleep, and loaded up Dad and the family for his ride. When we arrived, I found that my repair work had bought me a free ride! All six of us passengers on the plane got to do a little left seat time. Getting to fly the plane was great- - - -watching Dad relive his days as a command pilot for a little while- - - - -PRICELESS!
Jerry
Damn shame!!!
My nephew took a ride on one of those last year when it was here in TX. Don’t know if it was that one or not.
Posted By: g5m Re: B-17 crashes and burns - 10/03/19
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
When Aluminum Overcast came to Lebanon Tennessee in 1997, the family pooled our funds and bought Dad a ride- - - -first time he'd been in one in 52 years. He was scheduled for a 1-hour flight on Saturday morning- - - - -$600.00 back then. I went out to the airfield on Friday afternoon and happened to get into a conversation with one of the ground crew. He was into restoring military jeeps and staff cars from the WW II era. I had a bunch of Ford flathead V8 parts that he needed for one of his restoration projects. We drove to my shop and I gave them to him. That got me an invite to share a meal with the crew. Later that evening someone mentioned that the tug they needed to move some of the planes wouldn't move- - - -transmission trouble! The tug had a flathead Chrysler 6 cylinder engine and a Torqueflite transmission- - - - -long story short, I got the transmission fixed around 2:00 AM.

Went home, showered, no sleep, and loaded up Dad and the family for his ride. When we arrived, I found that my repair work had bought me a free ride! All six of us passengers on the plane got to do a little left seat time. Getting to fly the plane was great- - - -watching Dad relive his days as a command pilot for a little while- - - - -PRICELESS!
Jerry

Outstanding!
Posted By: g5m Re: B-17 crashes and burns - 10/03/19
Originally Posted by JoeBob
The early word on another board from someone who flys warbirds and knows people at the Collins Foundation is that somehow or another it got a load of JP instead of high octane.

Holy cow!
Posted By: WTF Re: B-17 crashes and burns - 10/03/19
Aw chit !
Posted By: Seafire Re: B-17 crashes and burns - 10/03/19
yeah, I am an ass...

my first reaction was to be upset over the loss of a B17, instead of the casualties...

So I publicly apologize for that... but hate to see another B 17 lost..

its nice to see them flying, but being over 70 years old, maybe its time the FAA grounds the last of them
and leave them for static display....
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: B-17 crashes and burns - 10/03/19
Originally Posted by JoeBob

If so, the same error cost a medevac flight out of Las Cruces NM back in 2014.

https://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/brief.aspx?ev_id=20140827X25654&key=1

Unbelievable tragedy. My heart goes out to everyone involved.
Posted By: cv540 Re: B-17 crashes and burns - 10/03/19
Collins Foundation was in town a few years ago and I went on a whim intending on viewing the planes on the ground, a B17 and a B24. After viewing them I was fortunate to have the chance to book a ride, and went up in the B24.
Truly an eye opening experience, that illustrated beyond any book you could ever read of how it must have been to fly into combat in one of these machines.

Recenty the CAF was in town bringing a B24 and a B29 that I went and viewed on the ground.

While this incident is tragic, both in the loss of lives and the loss of a historic airplane, it would be more tragic if this event prevented Collins and CAF from doing these type of events in the future.
They are doing outreach with tangible flying pieces of history, reaching so many more people by being to fly to their towns, rather than waiting for the people to come to them in a mueseum.

Kind of like comparing the experience of letting a non shooter look at a safe queen rifle and admire the pretty wood, or taking that same non shooter out and letting them shoot one, smell the gun powder, feel the recoil.
Posted By: meddybemps Re: B-17 crashes and burns - 10/03/19
I was shocked to hear the news. That plane has been in the area for over a week flying over the house at 1500 feet. What a shame. It was a thrill seeing it and tracking it on Flightradar24.
Posted By: Pugs Re: B-17 crashes and burns - 10/03/19
Originally Posted by Seafire
its nice to see them flying, but being over 70 years old, maybe its time the FAA grounds the last of them
and leave them for static display....

There are plenty in museums.

Overall the warbirds offering rides have a very good safety record, far better than when they were operational, and there is no experience like hearing and seeing them in flight and going flying if you choose for touching and understanding history. I'm all for keeping them operating as they are.

As Joe Bob says, early word (always a worry!) is JP instead of 100LL. How can someone make that mistake in a B-17?
© 24hourcampfire