Home
Irritating being a care giver. Irritating when the person you are caring for refuses to be responsible. That when they simply must act of emotional impulse unless you are standing right there monitoring them.
My wife, who I've cared for at different levels for 12 years does all that. She gets an unexplained high blood sugar and in her frustration and emotional response eats a bag of potato chips and half a package of chips ahoy. When she gets dizzy this morning I tell her she has to put on her oxygen to go to some doctors appointments. She refused. Yeah, she's going to walk across the street to her car and then drive getting dizzy. She can't seem to see the problem with that.

This mental health disease along with potentially life threatening physical diseases are a mix from hell.

Yeah, I'm just venting. Pray a small prayer for me if you would.
Of course.
I hear everything you are saying! You are not alone.
You are doing God’s work, Armed. Bless you.
Said a prayer for y'all. Everybody is mentally unhealthy from time to time. That said, I sure understand your frustration. Gets even worse when you get physically assaulted when trying to render aid. Hang in there.
The greatest love story I have ever seen is not young romance, rather a spouse looking after an aging mate later in life.
Good luck.
Hoping for the best to both of you guys.
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
I hear everything you are saying! You are not alone.

+1
A suborn woman? Who'd have guessed.
It is definitely a Cross that you have to bear. I know (somewhat) what you are going through. I was my wife’s care-giver and patient advocate for nearly 5 years. She just passed away. I would do anything to have her back and consider it a privilege to be her care-giver again. My prayers go out to you. Hang in there ....
Originally Posted by wabigoon
The greatest love story I have ever seen is not young romance, rather a spouse looking after an aging mate later in life.

That is a fact. Good luck!

Well said !

Truer words never spoken, if she stumbles first, I hope I can measure up to caring for her as I know she would me.

Prayers sent for your ailing wife and for your continued understanding and fortitude, Armednfree.
Been there, done that, with several in-laws who could be terribly frustrating to deal with. The apartment we built for my wife's parents before they both passed on is now occupied by her 83 year old brother. He's a non-compliant diabetic who eats candy and chips by the pound and has had several mini-strokes. It must run in the family- - - - -my wife is a chain smoker who also has COPD and struggles for every breath she takes. She can't (or maybe won't) even talk about quitting!
Jerry
I talked to a young lady who worked at a camp for kids with diabetes. She told me they served ice cream and other sweets to the kids and were careful to keep their sugars under control with insulin.

The only problem with this is that Insulin creates a lot of fat. You should consider this approach as it should make your lives easier. Of course talking to your doc first would be a good idea.
It sounds like your wife has some sort of dementia. Maybe the doc could help you with meds.
make sure you take time away for your mental health and well being.
You aren't alone. People all the time doing odd things not in their best interest.
Prayers sent for both of yall. Being the caregiver for my wife was the hardest thing I have ever done.
Sorry to hear that. You will be richly blessed and rewarded for your kindness to her.
Originally Posted by RickyD
Sorry to hear that. You will be richly blessed and rewarded for your kindness to her.

Amen to that.
Originally Posted by FatCity67

Oh yes. Taking care of my mother wore me down, and she wasn't fighting me.
Done here. Just recall that diabetes could be at the root of all you are dealing with.
At the bitter end of my late wife's breast cancer it had spread to her bones and then finally her brain.
To see her in diapers and hearing her saying things that a child would say is not easy on the rest of the family.
That was 8 years ago and it is still on my mind.
whelennut
Prayers sent!
Always harder on the care giver than the patient.
Been there done that, and would do it again!
It’s an honor if you have the ability and patience....
Hard to comment on this. Besides seeing my parents through to the end I spent some time as the maintenance department (just me) at the local nursing home. It was owned by Benedictine Health Services at the time and we were encouraged to interact with residents in a caring way, like family. Best part of the job really. Lots of dementia at one level or another, but nobody combative fortunately. There were a few burned out alkies that could get feisty, and a couple whose entertainment for the day was giving staff a hard time. Frustrating at times but more so rewarding in making someone's day just a little better. Always kept in mind, 'Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.'
There is a good book titled, "Share My Lonesome Valley" that is helpful to those providing care for the elderly, spouses, children, etc with long term illnesses. Caregivers are one of the most overlooked groups when it comes to support. My heart goes out to you. We are just in the very early stages of my wife's recent diagnosis of early onset dementia. Most would never realize it in her but I see it every day. It sometimes takes a great deal of patience when I tell her the same thing several times. She is sweet about it and realizes what's happening. Right now she can still function with me being gone for two weeks at a time. She can drive, manage her meds, shop for groceries, cook, etc. Right now it's just the little stuff but it will get worse. She has to keep lists and instructions for a lot of stuff.

I'll keep you lifted up in prayer.
Prayers sent A&F!

BTDT.
Diana has Bi-Polar disorder. As far as dementia, the very early signs, I'm the one with those. There are several members of mt family, all males on my fathers side, who have had early onset dementia or full early onset Alzheimer. But these symptoms are also in depression.
Originally Posted by FatCity67

This.
I wish only the best to those who provide ongoing care to their loved ones.
A tough row to hoe and sometimes there is no one to step in and occasionally give a bit of relief.
One thing you better dang well better do is get the paperwork in order for the both of you in terms of Powers of Attorney and/or a will /trust. Find yourself a trustee in case of YOUR incapacity. As for post-death, name, and NOTIFY someone you would trust with your life (because that's what it is), not necessarily family, to administer your affairs in your best interest. Pick ONE person to be in charge, don't share anything because all that does is make the paperwork twice as hard to deal with.

Doing these things will NOT get any easier if you wait. Get after it while you still can understand what the heck you're doing..
Respect to all caregivers
10 years or more with my wife, constant pain and anger, getting worse. There is nothing to do but recognize the problem and carry on. We have another operation next week, I always hope one will actually reduce some pain and improve mobility
Take care of yourself. Recognizing your own limitations is part of the battle diabetes will mimic alcoholism, so be aware of that too
I just got cussed for being on the internet. Not that tv has anything to see, or I can go someplace else. Housework is done, no clue what she wants for dinner
Originally Posted by ConradCA
It sounds like your wife has some sort of dementia. Maybe the doc could help you with meds.

This. My mother had diabetes in her senior years. I think her dementia was aggravated by her diabetes.

kwg
Prayers sent. My father tested my patience something fierce at times before he passed. I would snap back at him and instantly feel so guilty. Even with the bad moments I would do it all again and may have to before my time comes.
© 24hourcampfire